Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

A threatened world. An impossible quest. An invincible foe.

The world of Valantyr has enjoyed a thousand year peace—the result of a dire war against Valion, the harbinger of the end of the world. His goal: to rebuild the ancient Valantine Empire, cursed by many as a nation of powerful wizards that enslaved all others. The Valantine Age ended in destruction, as slave rose against master, shattering one cruel nation and replacing it with thousands in its stead. Valion, however, sought to rebuild the Valantine—and in doing so, gather the Shards of Valar, four great relics from the bygone empire.

But other nations of Valantyr rose up against Valion, and when all seemed lost, one hero rose among the people to strike down the evil Valion—Rendon Aros, the Blessed Hero of Heafield. Valion defeated, the world turned to peace, a quiet era of slow expansion. War had left plenty of room to grow—and plenty of mouths to feed.

The new era, however, is proving harder than it seemed. As nations slowly become prosperous, they're starting to interfere with each other, slowly sowing seeds of doubt and fear. The world is balancing on the edge of another great war—and rumors of Valion's return are beginning to circulate, driving even more wedges between Valantyr's people.

You are a representative of your people, and one of the last things that the Great Council could agree on before deforming was tasking you with investigating Valion's return. Your party is on its own, and the nations of Valantyr are succumbing to petty squabbling and minor scuffles. Can you keep things in the balance? Only time will tell, heroes—and you have not much left.

Map of Valantyr

Recruitment

• I am looking for 4-6 players who are looking for a sweeping grand adventure across the world of Valantyr.
  • In terms of concepts, I'm super into being flexible about things, just run them by me in the Discord channel.
  • People interested in applying should be willing to post at least daily, weekends and holidays excepted.
  • Go ahead and build your character up through establishing lore—I'm more than happy to help flesh out lore, I have very little written right now of the world at large. You can even be from places outside the given map (actually, that might even be recommended)!
  • That said - Heafield is off limits.
  • Also, you're gathering in Orialand.
  • Discord channel - https://discord.gg/HWNGPPm
  • Fellowship Playbooks are provided by the developer here - http://www.mediafire.com/file/w4b7m9p82y47zql/The+Fellowship+Playbooks.pdf

Gameplay

Valantyr is going to be played in Discord-style PbP. There will be an official game chat where all character actions and discussions are done, then a separate channel for OOC talk and planning and bullshitting. I have yet to figure out exactly how to do this, but it should work pretty well once it gets going.

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

Cyrtakos, The Orc

The Great Council sends for aid, fear of the return of Valion troubling minds of those of coin, station and power alike. To them, the meaning of his return is change, an evil returned to lay waste to all that has been accomplished. They would see the harbinger of the end return back from where he came and have the world continue as it is.

But one man, no matter his power, can only do so much, be it just or unjust. True injustice comes from others that follow those of power, from what they do in their name and for their ideals. Even if the Great Council is mistaken and Valion is not in this world, his spirit and what others have made him stand for is. Injustice does not require an unjust man, simply many to accept an unjust idea. They call it "Valion's Care". Despite their scholars' arguments it is nothing more than a different name for that which all know it to be: the cruel yoke of slavery. They say that just as in the days of Valion's empire, misguided it may have been, it is a tool of civilization, a way of "caring" for those of lesser worth. Always they see themselves as those above others and coin and comfort earned by the sweat and blood of those they enslaved the just reward of their "stewardship".

I would see an end to all of it.

But I may not have desired so, had my fate taken just slightly different path. Had I not thrown in my lot with the armies of the Empire of the Wolf, their expansion and their "civilization", admired far and wide, carried on the back of those they conquered from their capital of Caer Engor. Had I not believed their promise that they would grant their protection to my tribe. Had I not disobeyed orders when their commander broke that promise, seeking glory on the battlefield and gambling with the security of those I had left behind. Had I fought the Wolves harder when they cornered me as deserter, had I been able to fight them to my end. Had the Wolves decided to kill me there and then, instead of taking me into Valion's Care, making me a slave.

Little shall be said of my time under the heel of the Empire of the Wolf. Not because it brings to mind painful memories, but because enough has been said already about it by others that tell my tale. Suffice to say that I suffered the cruelty of the whip, though many can find honor in scars. The true injustice though is brought upon by those that think themselves the better of others, and what they force them to do just for freedom from pain and hunger. For a time, I deluded myself that there was something proper about the arrangement, that the scraps I earned from my victories in the Wolves' arena where I fought for the amusement of their masses were the sign of a man powerful and master of his own destiny.

It was not so, and in time, I found myself unable to deny this. But too, in time, I looked beyond my own misfortune and towards those that suffered the same as I. In time, shared fate made me call the others under heel of slavery brothers and sisters, no matter whether orc or human or elf. And in time, we crafted plan for our revenge and escape.

Many tales have been told of the night when slave turned blade upon their masters and the Wolf city of Metellia was set upon by escaped slaves. It seems the flames and number of Wolf centurions slain grow larger with every telling, alongside with my role in the battle. The Breaker of Chains, they now call me. The truth is, many of equal worth were felled that night, though their tales are now seldom told. The truth also is that we did not face their legions in open battle as many would think, their might greater than ours by far.

But still, I and many others escaped and news of this spread. And now I find myself summoned by the Great Council, called towards higher purpose. It does not matter to me whether Valion truly has returned, for I now have sworn myself to fight that which he stands for to my last breath. Others would hail his return as a sign that the world shall once more be as it was, with "those lesser" in their place and put to the purpose of those that propose themselves to be their masters.

I shall fight until Valion and those that would follow in his wake, that would think that others can be property, are no more. I shall fight until I see the world be changed, not remain as it is, as many on the Great Council would have it. I shall fight until all that draw breath be freed from the darkness of slavery.

quote:

Why are you your people's champion?
The tales of the Breaker Of Chains made me their champion.

Before Metellia burned and I escaped with my brothers and sisters, I do not know whether the Great Council would have called upon orcs for aid or considered them a united enough people to agree upon a single champion. Even if that were not so, my own people would have confirmed low opinion of those "civilized" and delayed sending a champion, either because none could agree upon one or because concerns of the other people are not those of orcs, or so they would think.

But I would have this change.

quote:

Tell us more of your people.
My people are not united, both the power and the desire to speak with a single voice not theirs. Many different tribes settle across the entirety of Valantyr, though usually keeping apart from each other, even taking a certain pride in their tongue and custom being different from the other tribes. The shamans tell me it has not been always so, that once we had a country and a single voice of our own. Though despite what some of the other people would say, we do not only blame them for our downfall. It is clear that at least in part, we bring our misfortune upon ourselves, both in the days of old and now.

But something is changing. Perhaps my people have endured for long enough, or perhaps they have seen that they are not alone in enduring, as I have. The world hangs in the balance, and with this, the time of indifference and accepting things as they are are at an end for my people. It is time for the world to change, and my people, more so than any other, take to change. I have seen orcs from tribes from opposite corners of Valantyr put aside their difference in the face of greater threat, talking to each other using a mixture of the sacred words of the shamans, they alone unchanged over hundreds of years and the tongue of the Wolves, yet another tool turned upon our "masters". I have seen a freed human nobleman happily embracing the orc that broke his chains, the two settling out to call upon the human's people for aid. I have seen my people standing up for themselves, no longer enduring injustices carried out over centuries.

The orcs are changing and in so doing, the world shall be changed as well.

Cyrtakos, The Orc, Breaker Of Chains posted:

Name: Cyrtakos
Look: Determined Eyes, Muscled body, Patchwork Armor, Scarred Skin
Agenda: Born Rebel: Fix the system, by any means necessary.

Stats
Blood: +2
Courage: -1
Sense: +2
Grace: +1
Wisdom: +0

What Is An Orc?
Daughters Of Chaos
Your people are born free, determined to follow their hearts and choose their own destinies. When someone attempts to enslave, control, intimidate, terrify, or command you, you can always act as you please. The Overlord cannot use the moves Twist the Knife, Fear Me, or An Offer You Can't Refuse on you, and your people are immune to the Heir's Core move Yes, My Liege.

Orc Core Moves
The Fires Of Industry
As long as you have a minute's time and destroy something in the process, you can craft an Orc-Made weapon of your own design. Orc-Made weapons are Clumsy in any hands but an Orc's, and they are ugly to all but Orcs. The weapon is Melee.
Weapons you make are not added to your Gear - they are temporary and must be replaced when they are lost or damaged. You cannot carry more than 4 weapons you've made at a single time, but you can restock weaponry between scenes as you like.
When you Share this move with another, they gain an appreciation for the utility or simplicity of Orc-Made weaponry. Orc-Made weapons are not Clumsy in the hands of those with this move.

Dishonor Before Death
When you need an Advantage to Finish Them with in glorious combat, you can always create one by breaking your weapon. When you must pay a price, you may always choose to break your weapon.

Orc Custom Moves
I Smell Fear
When you Look Closely at a person, so closely it makes them upset, uncomfortable, or scared, you may ask questions from both the Speak Softly and the Look Closely lists, and you can ask one more question than your roll would normally allow.

Self-Orctualized
Choose two options from the final list of your Gear (strong as an ox, tough as nails, scary as hell, or cunning as can be). Both of those options are added to your Gear permanently. You cannot choose an option you already have.

Bonds

Gear
  • Strange jerky (Food, 3 Uses)
  • Orcish moonshine (2 Uses, Food (only for Orcs), Drunk: Grace + Wisdom, Vigor: Blood + Sense). If you stuff a rag in the bottle and set it on fire, replace its tags with Ranged and Dangerous.
  • Some loot (1 Use, Precious)
  • Your best friend (Brains) (Clever Plan, Tear It Down)

Lubo: Far more upbeat and less serious than Cyrtakos, they nevertheless formed a bond as they suffered under slavery, then escaped and then fought together. Lubo is not as convinced as the Breaker of Chains that all people of Valantyr are in this together, thinking that orcs should look out for their kind first, but still he supports his brother-in-arms.
  • Strong as an ox (2 Uses). Use this to smash through a wall or door.
  • Tough as nails (2 Uses, Armor)
  • Scary as hell (2 Uses). Use this to Talk Sense whether they want to listen or not, and you can roll at +Blood instead of another stat.

Temporary Gear
  • 2 x Orc-Made weapons

nil. fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 5, 2017

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Suika, The Giant

quote:

A tattered excerpt from 'Forces of Nature: The Kami Among Us'...

"It is well known that the Kami, as they prefer to call themselves, are not a unified people. Why, one need only look at the Magister of the Great Library, Biblos, and contrast him with the newest of their kin, Suika. He is one of most eminent scholars of our age and she seems little more than a battle-crazed hooligan! It is perhaps the greatest piece of evidence that some scholars are using to support the 'apotheosis' theorem. For those who are not well-read on the latest developments in the field, this supposes that these Kami were once as human as you or I, but became something more in a moment of transcendent perfection. I, personally, think that this theory is bunk, as you may have read in my previous work...

quote:

An excerpt from 'The Fall of the Holy Empire'...

"Few expected that the climactic battle in the plains of Tierna would prove more than an opportunity for the mighty army of the Holy Empire to demonstrate their martial superiority. The forces of the grand alliance were hard pressed to counter the sheer numbers that the Holy Empire could field, but they had an ace up their sleeve. The alliance's wizards had constructed a mighty weapon of last resort. It is still unclear as to its exact nature, but the devastation it left behind can still be seen in the area known as the Blighted Waste. This battle, this devastation, is perhaps most notable for being the cauldron in which Suika descended into the world..."

quote:

A tattered pamphlet...

To all who consider themselves puissant fighters, the greatest competition of skill and vigor will soon commence! Challenge yourself against the legends of the Great Arena such as Demetri 'Three-Blades', the peerless vigor of the mighty Hydra, or even the 'Goddess of War' herself!

---

Suika leans against the wall of the council's chamber, listening to the discussion with unusual interest, "So you're takin' another shot at Valion? I'm in. The fight against him and his armies was the most fun I've had in centuries! Hell, I've been so bored since we put him down last time. That arena was fun enough, but fightin' against a few people like that is nothing but an appetizer. It takes an army to really get my blood pumping!"

quote:

Suika grins, "It's easy enough to answer. There ain't that many of us, yeah? I'll tell ya this, too. Most of us are peaceable enough. Ya seek out what made you. You get Yfreet in that big smoky mountain, Glacias up in those ice blocks, and Biblos stickin' his nose in all those books. So me, I'm drawn to battle. To conflict. Not much for polite conversation, when it comes down to it, but that's not why you need me. Nah. You need me because I've done this song and dance before. You need me because you don't have an army." She bares her teeth. "Good thing for you I'm better than havin' one."

quote:

Tell us more of your people.

"Well, no matter what people say, we ain't made from humans or any of that nonsense. Not by a long-shot. You'd havta ask a brain like Biblos the details, I'm not exactly the type to sit down and read outta some dusty tome. But me? Yeah, I woke up in the middle of the Blasted Wastes. The glass was still cooling when I took my first steps. You can still see them, I suppose, if the place doesn't kill you first. They didn't call it that back then, but whatever weapon did that brought me into being." Suika shrugs. "I guess there's just not a lot of things happening that are big enough to make one of us. Certainly nothing since I came around."

"Some of us are better at the whole people thing than others. The ones that talk good tend to attract flocks of worshippers. Hell, even the ones that don't get a crowd. 's a load of bunk if you ask me. People get drawn to strong things. Even the ones of us that ain't got a head for the battlefield are more than you'd imagine. I made quite a stir when I was livin' at the Arena, but I gave that crowd the slip. I don't have time to babysit a bunch of starry-eyed lunatics on the battlefield." Suika gestures at the rest. "At least these ones look like they know what they're doing."

"Anyways, the Kami have been around since the beginning. The first ones are a little... Well, they're weird even for us. The further back they awakened, the more like their essence they become. Like Yfreet. He lives in that volcano of his and just basks in the lava. His head, though, is about as hot and volatile as the fire and heat that birthed him. So ya gotta be careful, yeah? I'm about as tough as they come and I wouldn't want to mess with somethin' like that." Suika shrugs.

The Giant posted:

Name: Suika, Born of the Battlefield, Blade-Breaker, Champion of the Great Arena, The Last to Awaken, Kami of War
Look: Hungry Eyes, Wild Hair, Practical Outfit, Wiry Body
Agenda: Don't Stop Me Now — Have such a good time. Just have a ball!

Stats:
Blood +2
Courage +2
Grace -1
Sense +1
Wisdom +0

What is a Giant?

Giants of Spirit
Your people are not physically large, they just have the strength as if they were. Famously known as Kami, your people may even be considered small, but your size hides incredible strength. Cross off the Move Larger Than Life - it doesn’t apply to you. Giant-Sized Food and Healing items count you as a little folk.

Giant Core Moves:

Stronger Than Is Reasonable
You are strong enough to uproot trees, smash doors off their hinges, break through wooden walls and supports, and lift just about anything. Your Melee attacks have the Area tag, hitting multiple enemies with ease. You have significant trouble acting with finesse. When you pay a price, you must also cause collateral damage. Something breaks, you damage the environment, an ally is caught in the attack, or you get stuck somehow.

Natural Hermits
The Giants are not a plentiful people, and do not make friends easily. The fact you even joined the fellowship is a surprise to all. Your people’s population is in the double digits, and you know them all by name. A Giant community is actually just a single Giant, and earning their Fellowship grants you that Giant’s personal assistance. You can never have more than one Bond with a non-Giant, and non-Giants can never have more than one Bond with you.
This Move cannot be Shared.

Toss Aside (Blood)
You are strong enough to lift anyone, and an ally can ride on top of you if you let them. When you pick someone up and throw them, roll +Blood. On a 10+, choose up to three. On a 7-9, choose one:
— They land safely on their feet.
— They go exactly where you want them to.
— They crash through something or into someone.
— You can immediately throw a second person after them.

Giant's Custom Move:

God of War
When you fight against them by yourself, you can try to Keep Them Busy no matter who they are, how outnumbered you are, or how poor your position is, even if they are a Group, Gang, or Army.

Giant Gear:

—You have tons of food (Food, Giant-Sized, 3 Uses).

Weapons
—Your fists, wild and mighty. (Melee, Area)
—A boulder you found (Giant-Sized, Ranged, Dangerous, Reload). You Reload this weapon by finding a new boulder.

One thing you love unreasonably
—War! You wear armor. (1 use, giant-sized, armor)

A supernatural gift innate to your people
—Skin like iron. Lesser blows simply bounce off you, and you are not harmed by low-quality weaponry. You never take damage from combat with weak enemies. Piercing attacks can always break through your iron skin.

Initial Bonds:

You start with 2 Bonds with the other members of the fellowship. Use these, or make your own:

_______ kept up with me in a contest of strength or skill, and I am most impressed with them.
I have known _______ for all their life.
I like to let _______ ride upon my shoulders.
_______ is just the perfect shape for tossing about.
_______ knows a secret of the Giants.
_______ has more courage than I.
I once saved _______ ‘s life.
I would not be here today if not for _______ .
_______ is destined for greatness, I can tell.
What wonders _______ has shown me!

Tricky fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 4, 2017

Flamander
May 4, 2009
Mikhail, Squire

"Greetings, sirs and ladies! My name is Mikhail, although you can call me Mik if you prefer." A gangly young man wanders up to you, donning a pot helmet. "An adventure? Sounds lovely... always wanted to go on one." He daydreams for a second. "Ah, to be like the heroes of legend. May I join? From what I can see, you've got a lot of strong warriors and strange powers; but I'm sure that along on these long treks, someone must get hungry... right? OH! Right, as to your doubts about my combat ability..." He jumps for a moment, grabbing his spear with one hand. "Don't worry, I can reasonably defend myself with a polearm anyways - all that spare time while at home has to be good for something, right? Well, that and the occasional time I've offered to help stick a hay bale or two."

Mikhail laughed, before shortly assuming a more serious face. "Right. Well, I'm a blacksmith's son - I went into the business of being a cook though." He clapped his hands. "It's about seeing the pleasure on people's faces, you see. Warms my heart." A short while passed before he continued. "I played a lot at being just like Rendon Aros when I was a kid - my childhood idol. I grew up just below Haga Hills, so I had a lot of space to play; I suppose that's what's fostered this decision. Somewhat, in some way, I want to go on an adventure. A real one, now, and help any way I can. Mostly, though, I want to explore this world - find some new ingredients, make new dishes." He smiles, clasping his hands. "You know, cook things."

quote:

Mikhail looked upwards, mulling it over. "I suppose... because most everyone else has settled down or is too old, I guess." He looked back to you, fingers posed on his chin. "Well, I guess that - and I've got an actual reason, as well, with wanting to improve my cooking skills and all." He chuckled. "As well as having more applicable skills than everyone else... oh, and we can't forget that I'm the first 'peasant' from the general South Haga Hills area to get here." Mikhail air-quoted with a look of disgust, grumbling. "Can't stand being called that. I'm a regular person - why can't I just be called that, instead?" It seems he's fell into a foul mood. You're not going to get more out of him on this subject - let's change the question.

quote:

Tell me more about your people.

Mikhail snaps out of it. "Right - first things first - we're all miners or blacksmiths - or woodcutters, mainly; it's what we do. We've taken advantage of the area around us - There's the Llane Woods, nearby, which are helpful for fueling the fires, and then there's the White Mountains filled with ores and rock and stone. We're the secondary source of it for the kingdom - the first obviously being the Bizigab Mountains." He takes a while to think. "Oh, right. Apart from that... there's been a few recent legends of the general area. Mainly that ethereal sprites have been seen flying around... although, personally, I don't think that could be right." Mikhail frowns. "They haven't shown up ever since the days of Valion, after all. There's also been sightings of Mushroom Men walking about. Very odd... but at least that one's believable."

quote:

Name: Mikhail Erikson
Look: Nice Hat, Peasant's Clothing, Jolly Eyes, Thin Body
Agenda: Adventure Time - See what there is to see and do what there is to do.

Stats
Blood: +1
Courage: +2
Grace: -1
Wisdom: 0

Your Purpose

See The World
You're just here to go on a fun adventure. All this Overlord stuff is just an excuse to see more than your garden and you're going to make sure you see everything there is to seen. Once per scene, you may ask one question from the Look Closely list without rolling.

Squire Core Moves

Fast Friends
When you spend a scene by someone's side or Speak Softly with them, you may gain a Bond with them immediately. You can have an unlimited number of Bonds with anybody. People who you have Bonds with do not become Companions. You do not have enough pull with the fellowship to just recruit people. Those you have Bonds with will think well of you and will not try to harm you if they can help it, regardless of their feelings for the rest of the fellowship. You can Command Lore about anyone you have any Bonds with, except for your Bonds with other players. You can Command Lore about Companions, friends, and minions of the Overlord who you have Bonds with, but you cannot Command Lore about the other heroes of the fellowship or about the Overlord. This move cannot be Shared.

Please, Just Listen!
When you Talk Sense to someone, you may erase a Bond with them instead of owing them a favor.

It's Dangerous To Go Alone
When you watch someone's back and keep your eyes peeled, you can roll to Overcome any harm against them with Sense instead of Blood.

Squire Custom Moves

We'll Make It

Your Bonds have the Healing tag, and you can Use them by erasing them. Your Bonds can only be used to heal the person listed in them, and only while you are by their side. This move cannot be Shared.

Power of Friendship

Your Bonds have the tags Precious and Useful, and you can Use them by erasing them. This move cannot be Shared.

Squire's Gear

I began with:

- some simple Food (Food, 4 uses), traveler's gear (2 uses, Useful), and a simple sword (Melee).

What I brought to keep myself safe:

- A sturdy spear (Melee, Ranged, Thrown) and poultices (2 Uses, Healing, Slow)

I was more prepared than anyone else on this adventure, and brought along extra supplies just in case:

- A bottle of rum (2 Uses, Drunk: Wisdom, Vigor: Courage)

I brought extra luck with me:

- Luck of the Devil (1 Use). Use this to escape harm completely unscathed.

Squire's Bonds

You start with 4 bonds with the other members of the Fellowship. Use these, or make your own:

I have ____________'s back, no matter what.
____________ looks out for me.
I know I can trust ____________ no matter what.
I've never even seen someone like ____________ before.
_____________ is always willing to listen to me, even when no one else has time.
I've bailed _____________ out of trouble more times than I can count.
I don't know why but _____________ really trusts me.
I'd do anything for _____________.
_____________ and I have shared a moment of peace together.
I am afraid of losing _____________.
I think _____________ likes me romantically, but it's hard to believe.
I try so hard to live up to _____________'s expectations.

Flamander fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 2, 2017

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight look over the book and see if I can get something.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
Currently paging through the book, considering a Star Elf.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Never mind, I think I'm gonna withdraw. The idea's not really coming together.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 3, 2017

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
The Pale Witch, Haunt of the Margun Bogs, Singer of the Secret Names, The Seventh Sister, Queen of the Divas, The Lady, AKA the Harbinger

“Apologies, but you humble servant will be speaking for Her Ladyship today. If She were to use Her voice for something so mundane as an interview, it would upset the magical humours.

But yes it is true that She, along with Her six sisters, were summoned to our world from beyond time and space by the ancient Empire and served it. When the Empire fell, they settled to rule various domains by dint of their own power. My Lady chose to rule the vast Margun Bogs, home of my people the Vulf. When Valion arose the first time, he came to each of the Seven to rebind them in the name of the ancient oaths, but My Lady refused.

As punishment Her sisters cursed the Bogs, making them a dark place of woe. She did as much as she could to help the Vulf and other residents, but such endeavors require funds. Which was the genesis of Her modern image. Her lesser Songs prove to be in high demand among the other peoples and nations, and her performances raise funds for helping those fleeing the Bogs.

Myself? Oh I hardly merit a mention. As powerful as My Lady is, she requires the services of one able to concentrate on… mundane matters. My brood has served Her for generations, so I was honored to be chosen to accompany Her into the Outside. I have taken great pains to mimic the ways of the Outside valet, I hope I have done well?”

quote:

Look: Silvery Hair, Whimsical Robes, Cold Eyes, Odd Jewelry
Agenda: Fulfill The Prophecy - Tell us about ~the Great Prophecies~ and do your best to fulfill them.
Stats: Blood-1 Courage+1 Grace+2 Sense=0 Wisdom=0 Doom+2
What is a Harbinger
Servants of the Dark: The Harbingers are so-called because they herald the coming of the Overlord, and they serve the Overlord in all ways. You are a renegade to your people, outcast, but you still command the same terrifying powers they do. You do not need to pay a price to show others why they Do Not Trifle With Wizards.
Harbinger Core
Doomed Soul
The harbingers are keepers of prophecy and magic, and their soul is unlike any other. You have a sixth stat, Doom, and you have an additional +0 to assign between your other stats. When your Doom stat gets damaged, you must immediately damage another one of your stats as well. When you Finish Them by revealing their fate, by using your knowledge of folklore or the prophecies, or with Wizardry, roll +Doom. When you Share this Move with another, their Doom stat is +1. When someone who does not have a Doom stat uses a Move that rolls +Doom, they roll at +0.
Doom and Gloom
Your Doom makes you hard for others to relate to. You can never have more than one Bond with someone, and others can never have more than one Bond with you. This Move cannot be Shared.
Do Not Trifle With Wizards
Your magic is dangerous and powerful, for both you and your enemies. When you conjure a powerful spell to destroy something in your way, pay a price, then take up to three points of damage. You inflict that much damage to your target. You then become exhausted, and roll with Despair for the rest of the scene. Threats to the World and Set Pieces take no damage from this
Move. This Move cannot be Shared.
Wizardry
When you draw upon the magic inherent to your people, choose one option from below. You may use these spells as often as you need to. When you use one of these magical effects, tell us how it manifests - what does it look like, what does it sound like? What do you need to do to make this happen?
-Conjure a soft light, which floats around you.
-Deliver a message through mysterious means.
-Speak, look, or listen as if you were somewhere else that you can see.
-Touch, push, or grab as if you were somewhere else that you can see.
When you Share this Move with another, they choose a single spell from the list. That spell is the only one they can use. You can Share this Move with someone multiple times. Each time you do, they learn another spell.

Harbinger Custom
TBD (Cultural Appreciation for Royal Treatment or Dark and Terrible)

Harbinger Gear
Choose the weapon you brought with you on this journey: The Overlord's Weakness, tucked away inside a bottle or box
Choose your companion, you have one Bond with them: A strange beast, describe it and give it two stats of your choosing
(Murk the Vulf valet: Suave Servant, Natural Born Killer)
Choose your source of magic: The leylines Songs of magic that hold reality together (2 Uses). You can Use this connection to the leylines Songs to access a sealed location, or seal off an accessible location, bending space to accommodate your need.

Initial Bonds
You start with 2 Bonds with the other members of the fellowship. Use these, or make your own:
I am teaching _______ the ways of the world.
_______ will be of great importance in the events to come.
I have done many a favor for _______ .
I once told ______ a magnificent story and they have never forgotten it.
I have trusted _______ with a dark secret.
_______ is the only person who has ever changed a future I foresaw.
I have never met anyone more full of life than _______ .
My prophecies do not scare _______ , and for that I am eternally thankful.
I know the doom that awaits _______ but I cannot bring myself to tell them.
_______ gives me hope for our future.

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 31, 2017

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.

The Elf Playbook posted:

Name: Mithras al’Duwindar
Look: Piercing Eyes, Dark Hood, Fancy Cloak, Androgynous Body
Agenda: Perfect Purity - Punish those who would defile Elven lands and works.

Stats:
Blood: +1
Courage: +0
Grace: +2
Wisdom: -1

What Is An Elf?
Star Elf – Your people come from beyond the skies, and your technology is highly advanced. You start with High-Tech Gizmos (2 Uses, Useful, Elf-Made) in your Gear.
Instead of burning any non-elf who holds them, Elf-Made items electrocute any non-elf attempting to use them without proper training, causing them to pass out where they stand.

Elven Core
Elder Arts
When you draw upon the elven power that humans sometimes call magic, choose a spell from below, then mark it. You cannot use a spell while it is marked. When you Fill Your Belly, recover a mark from one spell. When you Recover, remove all marks on your spells.
[ ] Camouflage: Become invisible and undetectable. This lasts until you attack or decide to make yourself known.
[ ] Keen Senses: Ask a single question about your surroundings, and immediately receive a truthful answer.
[ ] Sense Magic: Immediately know what here is magical and where it is. If there is nothing magical here, you do not mark this spell.
[ ] Whisper on the Wind: Send a message to someone you have a Bond with. They will hear it whispered in their ears moments after you send it, and they can send a reply up of to 5 words.

When you Share this move with another, they choose a single spell from the list. That spell is the only one they can use. You can Share this move with someone multiple times. Each time you do, they learn another of your spells.

Touch the World Lightly
You can safely walk on top of snow, across thin tree branches, along precarious ledges, or on top of held weaponry. You can also run along walls, up trees, or across treacherous surfaces safely, although only for short distances. You still need to roll to Get Away if you use this move to escape danger.

Elf Custom
Elder Might
When you wish to use and Elder Art you have already marked, you may do so by marking a different Elder Art. This Move Cannot be Shared.

Enemy at the Gates
When you are hidden from your target and wield a ranged weapon, you can spend 1 Ammo to Finish Them with +Grace. If you Destroy them, you remain hidden.

Elf’s Gear
I begin with:
Elven bread (food, 4 uses) [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Hunter’s bow (Ranged, Elf-Made, 3 Ammo) [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Tech-Gizmos (2 Uses, Useful, Elf-made) [ ] [ ]

What protects me from danger:
Light Armor (1 Use, Armor, Elf-Made) [ ]

What carries me through this journey:
An Elven Throne, which you have 1 Bond with.

My hunting companion:
A survival knife (Melee, Elf-Made) and an extra quiver (3 Ammo)

Elves you meet will usually carry at least two of the items you chose from the above lists. However, the option below is unique to you:

A momento of your homeland, it has 1 Use: [ ]
A ring signifying your membership in a secret organization. You can Use this item to identify another member of this organization, instantly gaining a Bond with them.

Elf’s Companions

Name: Sparrow the Elven Throne
The Elven Throne is a nickname for a wide variety of devices, almost all entirely natural in origin. Enchanted wooden chairs, wheeled or hovering automatons, even living animals to carry you. They are particularly popular among merfolk who need to travel over land.
A Mind of Its Own [ ]; Mobile Cover [ ]

Elf’s Bonds
You start with 4 bonds with the other members of the Fellowship. Use these or make your own:
____________ has been named a friend to all elves.
____________ once helped me with a hunt, and I know we shall hunt again.
I have trusted ____________ with the truth about me.
____________’s entire family line is respected by the elves.
____________ is my rival, and I theirs.
____________ defeated me in a contest of skill and I still cannot believe it.
I have absolute faith in ____________’s abilities.
I once went to war alongside ____________.
Because of ____________, I have changed as a person.
I have taught ____________ the ways of elven ____________.

True Facts about the Star Elves:

- Marooned
According to tales, the Star Elves are a small portion of a race who sails the blackness between the stars. Those on Valantyr were caught in a great storm, blown off course with their ships badly damaged. Centuries ago, the skies filled with the light of falling stars, and the Star Elves made landing somewhere in the Idane Woods. Since that night, they have sent up signals to their homeland and waited patiently for a rescue that they seem certain will come in time.

- The Sleepers
Since the day of the Star Fall, the Elves have sought to keep their impact on Valantyr to a minimum. They carefully restrict their hunting and cultivation, and retain an isolationist policy to prevent them from corrupting the indigenous cultures of the land as much as possible. A side effect of this is that very little of the Elves’ population is actually active. Supposedly, within the holds of their vessels, the vast majority of Elves has remained in a deep slumber since before the Star Fall. Some claim that the Elves could rouse a great army to combat Valion’s return, however the Elves say they could not put their people back to sleep should they do so. It would necessitate land grabs and expansion simply to provision their people, which they view as a betrayal of their ideals. A betrayal they would be force to account for when their rescuers arrive, whenever that would be.

- The Lost
The Star Elves’ landfall was not a peaceful and controlled descent. Debris and escort craft became separated on approach, tossed by the rough black seas of space, and came down in isolated pockets across the land. Some have become small communities in their own right, resorting to hybridization with local fauna to bolster their population to workable levels. Others are lost sleepers, or examples of elven craftsmanship which are found by those ignorant of their operations. Agents of the Star Elves secretly comb the land for evidence of these lost artifacts and people, intent to bring them back into the fold. They bargain where they can, but they have a reputation for not taking “no” as an answer.

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 3, 2017

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Some questions:

Cyrtakos: How do your people treat the world around them? What do they want? How do you plan on giving it to them?

Suika: Which other Kami are you closest to? Which other Kami antagonizes you and how?

Mikhail: How did you get picked to serve the group? What's one secret about you that you'd never want them to know?

Pale Witch: Tell me more of your sisters. Which of them has the most to gain from the return of Valion?

Mithras: How did you get selected to represent your people? How have the people of this world impressed you?

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 4, 2017

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007

Frgrbrgr posted:

How did you get selected to represent your people?
Mithras stood straight, his hood forward and his shoulder straight under the eyes of the assembled. His hands were in front of him, one hand grasping a gloved wrist, rather than hiding under the folds of his cloak as he would normally do. He was unarmed, unclad in armor, the Command had insisted on these points when he presented himself for the role of Champion. Still, he was unafraid.

“I volunteered, actually.” He said simply. It would have been enough back home, but there were issues of trust to address.

“For half a millennium, I have walked the length and breadth of Valantyr, serving my people in the role of Seeker. I have broken bread with your peoples, I have spoken with them, and I have witnessed their struggles. Such is not the case for many of my people, they have only seen you from afar and have watched your expansions with trepidation in their hearts.” He nodded his head slightly, “Time will tell if their predictions bear out.”

“Whispers of Valion’s return, however, are too dangerous to ignore.” Mithras said, a bit tightly, “A resurrected Valantine Empire would not ignore the elf holds, Valion would not allow any power that might rival his to exist unbowed. The Return is still far and unheralded for my people. I have a mate, and offspring currently in the Sleep’s embrace. Should they awaken, I will not have them open their eyes as a stranger clamps iron around their neck and picks the glories of their people clean like a buzzard upon a carcass.”

“I have the skills, the motivation, and some experience with cultures beyond my own. It is for these reasons that I was named Champion.”

Frgrbrgr posted:

How have the people of this world impressed you?

“The people of this world are much more … open than I’m accustomed to. Not necessarily honest, but certainly expressive. This was why I began to observe them so closely to begin with, their intensity drew my attention.”

“It began in such a simple way, a small human town, long lost to history now. A self-styled shaman had come across one of our artifacts, a key, useless unless you would brave our borders to use it. As I strode invisibly through their lands, I came across a woman, a mother of six. Six! I should be so blessed, I thought, so I took a moment to watch the little ones caper around their progenitor, giggling and dancing, and offering their fumbling aids. Exhaustion settled on their mother’s shoulders like a stone, but she smiled through it all.”

“That was my first peek, but hardly my last. I have stood hidden in the great arena of giants and heard their bone-shaking roars of challenge, and the cheers of a crowd so boisterous that they drive thought from your skull. I’ve heard the cheerful music of harvest festivals and witnessed the whirling of skirts that followed the frenzied dancing. I’ve seen men weep openly over the words of actors.” He paused a moment, “The people of this world are so raw and dynamic, it’s beautiful to watch, like the way one might find the stalking of a great hunting cat enthralling.”

“Sometimes, it makes me feel as though I’ve lived too long. Of course, the Star Elves have our arts and passions as well, but it’s all tempered, each member of the audience has seen so much that the search for something new and stirring becomes increasingly esoteric and disconnected from reality.” He shifted his weight slightly, “Watching the mortals of this world engage with life so fervently, as though for the first time, reminds me of the time before my own child Slept. It is … refreshing, and reminds me of what I found so engaging about those activities myself long, long ago.”

"It is a sensation worth preserving. They are worth preserving."

Flamander
May 4, 2009

Frgrbrgr posted:

Some questions:

Mikhail: How did you get picked to serve the group?

"Well... my pops has friends in high places, it turns out." Mikhail awkwardly chuckles. "He's really well known - mainly for providing horseshoes, pots, pans; as well as axeblades. You know; typical everyday stuff. Although... he does do requests -" He eagerly nods. "If ya pay enough, then... well, he can do miracles with what he's given. This skill of his is why I got picked. A warrior came by - name of... Mylasir Setres? More complicated name than I was used to... I have to admit." He scratches his chin. "But anyways - he wields an hand-axe, it turns out, and while he was passing through the area, my father did some weapons work for him. He saw that his blade was broken and fixed it for him. In exchange - I got to follow him to the council meeting - I thought it sounded fun." He gestured with his hand.

"So, anyways... when we got there - I volunteered to help with the catering. Luckily, they let me in. I helped serve up quite a meal! I was taught lots of tricks to cooking a good meal by my ma when I was younger, and they helped come in handy - it turned out that my meal... it gave me quite a bit of support by some of the Council." Mikhail grins. "I guess the best way into someone's heart is through their stomach!"

Frgrbrgr posted:

What's one secret about you that you'd never want them to know?

"Uhhhh... oh man, there isn't much. I've always been fairly open about myself, you know?" Mikhail thinks for a short while, toying with his pot hat. "Oh - here's something. Ever since I was born... there was this strange birthmark of a flame over my heart -" He pulls up his shirt. "Right here, see? When I was born, my mom and dad theorized what it could mean. No one could come up with a definite explanation. It could mean that I have relation to some sort of legendary warrior, or that I'm going to be someone special... or that I just have a particularly fiery heart." Mikhail rolls his eyes. "Personally, I just assume it means nothing. No use stressing over meaningless things, right? Still, just in case... I do hide it with my shirt."

Flamander fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 5, 2017

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
The Pale Witch, Haunt of the Margun Bogs, Singer of the Secret Names, The Seventh Sister, Queen of the Divas, The Lady, AKA the Harbinger

Frgrbrgr posted:

Tell me more of your sisters.
The Pale Witch shifts slightly in her sedan chair, and begins to hum. Soon all the crystalline materials in the chamber begin to vibrate, the sound merging into a woman’s voice.

“We are Beyond. External. We have always been and will be. We watched as the Choir and the Voice Sang your existence into being, and remembered the Music. Uncounted ages passed in an instant, and then magisters of the Valantine Empire sought Us out. First they merely asked Us questions, but soon they brought Us forth into your world in magical shells.

We became a hammer for the Empire, sent to deal with their most troublesome foes. They thought that We carried out our orders because We were bound to service, but We are beyond such constraints. The oaths kept Us here and rewarded Us for playing along, but We did what We did because it amused Us.

After the fall of the Empire, We scattered to attend to Our own interests. I lost track of many of My sisters, as We would only occasionally cross paths. The Bound Princess and The Lance-Maiden have both passed through the Bogs in the last century, but They are the only ones I have seen in this age.

At least, until They cursed My domain. Family can be quite a handful, no?”

Frgrbrgr posted:

Which of them has the most to gain from the return of Valion?
The Emerald Phantom. The Lost Sister. The Ghost that Sings. The Siren of Xesemach. She was of all of Us the most interested in the workings of the mortal mind, and took great joy in binding them to Her will. But in the final days of the Valantine Empire, She was defeated by a powerful hero. We are beyond such trivialities as death though, so She survived the shattering of Her corporeal form. She lives on as a Song in the minds of her subjects, reliant on their bodies to carry out Her will. Valion has promised Her to forge Her a new shell upon his victory, as only the power of the Shards can cage Our Music. This gives Her a more personal stake in your power struggles, beyond the trappings of Our ancient oaths.”

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Frgrbrgr posted:

Which other Kami are you closest to?

"That'd be Zephyr, the Kami of Winds. He's pretty chatty, especially for one of us. I guess it comes with the territory. He's a bit of a free spirit, like me, and he always knows the latest happenings. First person I saw when I woke up, you know? Anyways, he's always traveling, but he makes a point of swappin' stories over drinks when we cross paths." Suika shrugs. "I guess that doesn't sound like much, but I haven't talked to most of the rest in ages. It's a big world, you know, and I'm not exactly poking around the weirder parts of it where my kin tend to congregate."

Frgrbrgr posted:

Which other Kami antagonizes you and how?

"I stick to civilization for a reason. A couple of 'em, as it happens. First off, ya can't get a good brawl goin' in the middle of nowhere. The second? That'd be because of Dendros, the Kami of Trees. I don't know what his damage is. He's been all up in my business ever since the third crusades were in full force. Must have been, what, a couple hundred years ago? I was doing what I do best — namely taking on all comers in a pitched battle — and things may have gotten a little crazy. I mean, what, was I supposed to know that their artillery was going to explode into some sort of firestorm when I nailed 'em?" Suika sighs. "Anyways, Dendros got a real stick up his rear end about the whole thing. It may have burned down a forest or two. You know. poo poo happens. But he's been nursing this grudge for ages! It's not like he can take me in a fight, but he has a way of making sure I get all turned around whenever I try and cut across one of his forests."

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Apps close tomorrow, picks by Friday, Valion willing.

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

quote:

How do your people treat the world around them?

Cyrtakos leans forward, the flame of the open fire just enough to illuminate some of his massive frame, leaving much of the room enveloped by the darkness of night. The light plays across his face, casting stark shadows, as the orc considers the question for several moments. "Recent misfortune at the hands of others, inflicted on brothers and sisters and myself may darken thoughts and only bring to mind the need for fighting those that would inflict such cruelties, bring to mind fire inside heart yearning to carry out vengeance on them. All strangers, all that do not stand with you or suffer the same as you could be seen in such light, enemies to be fought and brought down with sword and fire." He pauses, watches the flames, then slowly shakes his head. "But I would not have it so, neither for my people nor me."

He waves a hand, more at himself than the listeners. "It is a question that would be better answered by a wise man or woman, a shaman perhaps, but it is also true I have thought about our people more now that I have been named champion. Though that may not be the whole truth of it, as thoughts of higher purpose already grew while still under the heel of the Empire of the Wolf." He shrugs, slowly. "Ours is a people of change and stubbornness in equal measure. Put a practical problem to a skilled orc such bridging a ravine for a caravan and they will have it solved before the day is done. But put two orc leaders under one roof, both minds filled with thoughts of old offences and ancient claims, and no agreement will be reached even though both their people stand to profit. Both are a matter of passion, one for good and one for ill."

"And so it is with the world at large, and in recent days I have thought it is not always to our advantage. Already I have spoken that our people are scattered and have no one voice to speak with. When an orc sets to solve a problem by changing, they set out to do the best with what they have. The tribe in the wilderness, competing with others, may search out new territories or make do with less. The orc living with the other people may concentrate simply on doing the work set before him instead of who demands the work, and whether it is fair and just." Cyrtakos cocks his head. "But eventually..." The orc puts forth his hands, one a fist, the other rubbing over it - like getting ready for a fist fight. "...stubbornness comes through."

He relaxes the hands. "Scholars say you treat those around you as they treat you, and many of my people are treated poorly. But I would not have it so."

quote:

What do they want?

Cyrtakos stares ahead, thinking - until suddenly, a rare and brief smile flashes across his face. "Another question better suited for someone more wise than I." Still, he sits and considers. "Before captivity, I would have thought desires beyond those of myself and those close to me as something on another shore I shall never visit, covered in mist, unnecessary to spend much thought on. In captivity, I saw that desires were the same among all people, whether orc or not. Liberty. Freedom from hunger and pain. Family. A place of worth in this world. Wealth. Companionship, of all kinds." He looks up, the fire in his eyes not just a reflection from without. "A desire for vengeance upon those that would put heel on throat. To see those that think so little of life of others be repaid in kind."

He waves his hand, shakes his head, the moment past. "Our people want the same as all others."

quote:

How do you plan on giving it to them?

Once again, some time passes before he answers - the light of the fire slowly growing weaker now. "It is not my place to decide my people's path, for too many have already tried to do so. It is theirs to choose, and for this I shall fight. I shall fight for their freedom, and that of all other people, for that is what Valion and those that follow him would deprive them of." Cyrtakos falls into silence, as if considering what he said again. It is some time before he speaks again. "Much I said earlier about the Great Council and how they would have the world continue as it is, shying away from change, and now I walk along the same path, washing my hands of my people's fate." The big orc looks doubtful, even troubled for a moment. "It is true my people have injustices inflicted on them and inflict in kind on others as well. Not only native Wolf soldiers wielded the whip, but orcs as well. Not many, but enough."

"I shall have to think on it. Although I am named champion, still I am just one man, more used to wielding a blade, even against desperate odds and greater might such as that of the Empire of the Wolf or Valion. To steer my people's fate while in such a struggle may be beyond what can be accomplished, but it may also be that now is only time such can be accomplished." He stares ahead. "I shall have to break words with trusted companion or perhaps knowledgeable shaman."

Time passes, and the last of the fire's light slowly drains. Another smile forms on Cyrtakos's face. "And then again, it is not true I am just one man. I am Cyrtakos. I am the Breaker Of Chains. I am my people's champion. I am one of the Great Council's fellowship. I am that which I stand for in the eyes of my people, and others, as well."

nil. fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 11, 2017

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Midsommer’s Eve, Summer of the Torn Banner

One look around the table, and it's easy to see the hopelessness of the journey ahead. The Great Council's final act was to gather this lot? A wrinkled and ailing man stands at the head of the table, rapping an ancient ring against the hardened wood with a clenched fist. The gnarled knot of wood tied up into his grey hair identifies him as an Orian Ranger - an aged order with only a half-dozen adrehents left. A badge upon his tunic identifies him as its leader, Ranger Captain Kaen Arnstead.

He pauses a second to cough violently into a handkerchief, then resumes his rapping. Slowly, he looks up, then realizes he's had the attention of all for a while now. A grim smile crosses his lips.

Welcome, heroes,” He starts, somehow completely removed of sarcasm. “You five are the appointed representatives of the Great Council. I've no need to tell you, but your mission is simple: find Valion, and end him.

He stops there, looking around the room. At the sullen gladiator, Cyrtakos. At brazen warrior, Suika. At the mysterious Lady. At the otherworldy Mithras. And finally, at a naive squire sitting in the corner, Mikhail.

A pause, then he chuckles quietly. “Fools! That damned Council… no sign of Valion save rumors, no explanation of his return, much less how he managed to live a hundred score or more years without being noticed,” He says, looking warily around the table. “And even then… if Valion really is back, it'd take armies to end him, not a strike force like this one," he shakes his head, then looks up at each of you, eyes judging finally the worth of the five, "No use grumbling, I'll explain."

He unfurls a roll of parchment upon the table, revealing a map of the continent. "Somewhere in Valantyr, Valion is said to be gathering his forces. Rumors fly, tales of woe abound, but none can separate truth from lie. Wars are brewing, powers are shifting, and all that the Council could muster was to gather you five, here in Orialand. His scarred finger stabs down upon the city. "Oria Province has always prided itself in neutrality, and has been a trading hub even in the days of Valion's rise. We Orian Rangers will serve as your guides and supply lines, as best we can. Let me know what you need, and I'll see to it that some attempt is made to get it. Save that, you'll be mostly on your own, and I dare not begin to tell of the trials you'll surely face in this broken land."

He gives the map a tug and it rolls up neatly, returning to his hand and back into his tunic, "Still, the less said of the path ahead, the better, for now at least. Dwell on the past, now - tell me and each other of yourself, so we can know what to expect in the months ahead. Taking stock is abouts all we can do right now... if we're smart."

----------------------

Pick one Bond from the Overlord, then figure out the rest amongst yourselves.

quote:

I destroyed _______ 's hometown.

I have caused great harm to _______ 's people.

I killed someone important to _______ .

_______ killed someone important to me.

_______ knows the details of my previous defeat.

_______ 's people serve me now.

Only _______ knows my Weaknesses.

I have fought _______ before, and left a wound upon them. It burns in my presence.

_______ was once my friend.

_______ secretly admires me and the things I do.

DB Link

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 9, 2017

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Overlord Bond

quote:

I have fought Suika before, and left a wound upon them. It burns in my presence.

Suika runs a finger across an angry red scar that runs across her chest from shoulder to hip. You can see the flames dancing within it still. "Yeah, Valion got me pretty good. We were squarin' off, after we cut through his army, and then he summoned some sort of fire from the stars. I saw it cut through the alliance's ranks like a scythe through wheat, and it even did a number on me. I don't he figured I'd survive it, but I did. No shame in a scar like this, but I'll pay him back for it. You can count on that."

Starting Bonds

Mikhail posted:

Mikhail is destined for greatness, I can tell.

"The cook? I've seen his like before at the arena. There's a hunger in his eyes. A drive to better himself, to surmount any challenge. He'll shake the world some day, mark my words. He'll just need a few pointers along the way, eh?"

Mithras posted:

I would not be here today if not for Mithras.

"Aye, history may have forgotten their role in Valion's defeat, but I never will. Not many could have given me the chance to retreat and lick my wounds. Fewer still would have risked themselves to do it."

Tricky fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 9, 2017

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

quote:

I have fought Suika before, and left a wound upon them. It burns in my presence.

"Ah, yes, I remember the young Kami. Ever one to stand again, eager to be struck down. A pity about that scar I left - would be a shame to make it any bigger."

Feel free to put it anywhere.

quote:

I killed someone important to Cyrtakos.

"The Empire of the Wolf have been useful... thus far."

quote:

Mikhail knows the details of my previous defeat.

An old poem sung by the children of Haga Hills goes as follows:

Err not in battle, your home needs tending
Pick up the blade, for you are Rendon
And strike him true and cleave off head
his power gone, his body dead
But when did clear the mist and arrows
What happened to our hero Aros?

quote:

The Lady's people serve me now.

"Ah, yes, the Sisters. Very good allies... If only I could complete the set."

Insert evil chuckle here.

quote:

I have caused great harm to Mithras’ people.

"Sweet dreams..."

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 9, 2017

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

Overlord's Bond

quote:

I killed someone important to Cyrtakos.
"Beloved wife was apprenticing to become shaman, already when we met seeing more than I ever could. Dreams of putting down blade wielded for too long and without purpose, to find different life with her, I put on hold for one last time to ensure protection of her and my tribe among the ranks of the Empire Of The Wolf. She was captured alongside me, and we were cruelly separated. Accursed Wolf commander who first clasped iron on both our wrists told me that one of far greater import than he or I had ordered all shamans to be rounded up, to either be brought to heel of unnamed greater power... or be destroyed by it."

"I nursed hope, even though I should know she would never bend knee. And my 'masters' set upon that hope as their wolf namesake, and have me believe they were searching for her, with my loyalty, submission and ferocity winning them coin in the arena. But terrible fate could not be stopped and... I eventually held dying body of beloved wife in my arms, seeing the light fade from her eyes as she fell from this world."

Other bonds

quote:

I will use my strength to keep Mikhail , the little cook, safe.

quote:

I cannot help but respect The Lady for her freedom and independence.

quote:

Suika is a ferocious fighter and I am driven to compete with her on the battlefield.

quote:

Mithras is caught between a duty to his own people and one to all peoples, something I understand too well.

quote:

Lubo and I suffered and fought together.

nil. fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 9, 2017

Flamander
May 4, 2009

OVERLORD'S BOND

quote:

Mikhail knows the details of my previous defeat.

"A childhood rhyme held the secrets - strangely enough. The last two lines say that - although Aros defeated Valion, slicing off his head; he disappeared right after the fight, vanishing into the mist."

OTHER BONDS

quote:

Cyrtakos looks out for me.

"Cyrtakos is a great guy. Overly protective, I have to say; but that probably will come in handy when we're being attacked by beasts, bandits, and fiends on the roads ahead."

quote:

I've never seen anyone as cool as The Lady before.

"The Lady is... ethereal. That's probably the best word to describe her. Mythical may top it. She's graceful, also. I imagine she has the ability to back it up... we've met before. She told me a story, then... but I'll let her divulge it to you. It's not mine to tell."

quote:

I try so hard to live up to Suika's expectations

"Oh, right! THE CHAMPION OF THE GREAT ARENA, SUIKA! I can't believe I get to go on an adventure with her! Hahahaha! She's like a legendary hero of the modern age! I feel like she's expecting something out of me too, though... that's it! I'm gonna be the best cook I can be on this adventure - that's what she wants me to do, right?"

quote:

Mithras is always willing to listen to me, even when no one else has time.

"Mithras and I talk a lot. It's at least a little bit because of the supply-hunting I've been doing, I feel; but I think he's getting fond of me. Might just be my jolly nature rubbing off on him, though. Either way, he's been patient with me - a good listener, too."

Flamander fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 9, 2017

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Overlord's Bond
-The Lady's people serve me now.

Fellowship Bonds
-I once told Mikhail a magnificent story and they have never forgotten it.
-I know the doom that awaits Mithras but I cannot bring myself to tell them.

-I can count on Murk to handle the necessities.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
Overlord’s Bond

Valion posted:

I have caused great harm to Mithras’s people.
I have told you that Valion would not be content to leave the elfholds in peace, this was never a matter of supposition on my part. The Mindtenders have long watched over our Sleepers since the Starfall, seeing that the long isolation and detachment from physical concerns do not negatively impact our precious cargo. For months now, they have spoken in hushed tones about something they call the Golgoroth, a kind of communal nightmare twisting in the psyches of an ever increasing number of Sleepers. Attempts to calm the dreams have failed, and attempts to contain it are inconsistent … worse yet, the terror is manipulating the latent magic of the Sleepers. Strange, half-glimpsed things hide in the darkest shadows of my home, eager to snare and rend those who wander alone. The Seekers are pulled back to defend our home, and there is talk of waking the Sleepers, but Command hesitates to do so before we understand what is happening to them. There is fear that Golgoroth may follow the infected into the waking world somehow.

Valion is responsible; I am certain it is some kind of preemptive attack on a dormant force. It will not go unanswered.

Fellowship Bonds

Mithras posted:

I once went to war alongside Sulka.
History does not mention the presence of the Star Elves among those who tried to defeat Valion a hundred years ago. That is, of course, how we prefer things, and the presence of five Seekers amidst an army is easy to miss. It was our task to open the path, that the Kami might unleash her fearsome power against Valion directly. We succeeded, even if she did not. After she was wounded, we provided covering fire for her to fall back.

It’s heartening to see her again, a reminder that time doesn’t ravage everything on this world.

Mithras posted:

Cyrtakos once helped me with a hunt, and I know we shall hunt again.

Mithras posted:

The Lady has been named a friend to all elves.
You might consider it a recognition of her status as a higher order of being rather than a true friendship. I’m not certain that the Singer of the Secret Names considers anything originating on this plane a “friend”. Regardless, The Pale Witch knows of the realms that dwell in star fire, the Verse that sets all worlds dancing in their orbits, and the long march of eternal beings, so we recognize her as a fellow traveler on the path. In the Elfholds, there is always food, shelter, and whatever companionship the Queen of the Divas might desire … in turn, sometimes she shares with us news regarding other places, though information regarding The Return is always the most highly prized.

Mithras posted:

I have taught Mikhail the ways of elven fieldcraft.
Mikhail’s still a boy, but his eyes are still open to possibility. His eagerness to explore, to “adventure”, leaves him more in tune with his surroundings than most of his ilk. For a Seeker, every set of eyes is valuable. Under the guise of hunting for supplies for the Fellowship, I have imparted many of the skills necessary to be self-sufficient in the wilds, and how to gather reconnaissance. In time, perhaps, I shall offer him the ring and mark him Friend.

Companion Bonds

Mithras posted:

I have absolute faith in Sparrow’s abilities.
Sparrow has been my constant companion on this world, and was my steed even in the days before it. Not once has he faltered as my steed, nor shall he in the future.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Even if the game dies right now, at the very least, we managed to throw a child half a block into a tower.

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

Now that's heroism!

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Scene 1 - Orialand

[10:02 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: Captain Arnstead raps his hand upon the table one last time. "Very well," he rumbles out in a low growl, "I'll leave you to..."
[10:03 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: BOOM
[10:06 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: A riotous explosion rattles the building, scattering anything not bolted down. Mikhail's chair topples over. A smell of sulfur creeps in through the nearest window. Arnstead stands quickly, surprising for a man of his age. "That came from the market," he shouts in alarm, before turning to you all with a look of fear in his eye. "Go!"
April 10, 2017
[1:08 AM] Cyrtakos (nil): Cyrtakos moves to his feet with a slowness that seems deliberate, something to keep in check a warrior's boiling blood. One hand on his crude-looking weapons, he extends the other to Captain Arnstead, even though the old man does not seem to require steadying.
[1:15 AM] Cyrtakos (nil): "See to own safety first, and we shall break words again if possible." With that, the orc releases his hand clasped around the old ranger's forearm, and, with a nod to the rest of the fellowship, sets out onto the panicked streets of Orialand, the explosion coming from the city's market at the center of the sudden chaos that has befallen its people.
[1:22 AM] Cyrtakos (nil): The twisting alleys through the white coloured square houses, crawling down the hills Orialand, make it impossible to see the source of the explosion from a distance, always just the next corner within view. However, the uncertainty and fear is etched into the faces of the people fleeing from the market - not knowing more than the fellowship, simply that they must get away. None pay any heed to the most odd group heading in the opposite direction and towards danger.
[1:34 AM] Cyrtakos (nil): At one of the city's many corners, not far away now from the market, Cyrtakos stops, holding out a hand to stop Mikhail who somehow is the one to almost run ahead. "Stay behind us, little cook. Hold for moment." He says no more and instead lifts his head and starts to sniff the air, somewhere between a cunning animal on the hunt and a gourmet judging a nearby kitchen. The smell of the sea, of fresh fish offered on market is marred by the stench of sulphur. The orc jerks his head back down and fixes his eyes on those fleeing, on any scars or smudges that can tell the tale of what happened. A young woman, fleeing without heed, seems to suddenly notice the orc's intense stare, and, frightened, freezes on the spot.(edited)
[5:45 AM] Cyrtakos (nil): /r 2d6+2 #Look Closely (at what's up with the explosion in Orialand)
[5:45 AM] BOTSidekick: @Cyrtakos (nil): 2d6+2 Look Closely (at what's up with the explosion in Orialand) = (2+1)+2 = 5
[5:46 AM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: that is actually a 13 ~Overlord hand wave~
[6:10 AM] Cyrtakos (nil): What is going on here? What do my senses tell me?
[6:11 AM] Cyrtakos (nil): Tell me about who caused the explosion. What are they doing? What will they do next?
[6:11 AM] Cyrtakos (nil): Is something hidden or out of place? If so, what looks suspicious?
[6:21 AM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: Cyrtakos' senses don't tell him everything - but they do reel him enough to make ready his weapons. Dozens of sooty residents flee past him, some clutching minor injuries, others simply gone mad from witnessing a horrifying event. It's easy enough to tell what happened: some sort of magical explosion. Tinges of sulfur still hang in the air, a foul sort of sorcery. As to who caused it, naught but a cruel laugh echoing from the center of the market can be heard. Nothing suspicious yet.
[6:23 AM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: Of course, while Cyrtakos is paused by the corner, another explosion ripples out over the city, followed by more screams and cries. You're reminded of Arnstead's foreboding eyes...
[7:06 AM] Mikhail (Flamander): Mikhail gets up from his chair quickly, scrambling to his feet. "Right!" He quickly follows behind Cyrtakos, easily making up the distance between the two. Lighter frame, he supposed. Eventually, Cyrtakos held out a hand to stop him, sniffing the air. "I'm not little-" He sighs. "Fiiiine." What could he do... well, there was one idea. Moving to the side of Cyrtakos, he quickly asked a nearby frightened man for any answers. "Hey, uh, sir - do you have any idea what's going on here?"
[7:06 AM] Mikhail (Flamander): /r 2d6 #Speak Softly (what the heck's going on????)
[7:06 AM] BOTSidekick: @Mikhail (Flamander): 2d6 Speak Softly (what the heck's going on????) = (3+3) = 6
[8:02 AM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: Changing that to a Talk Sense with +Sense = 8(edited)
[8:07 AM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: The man stumbles forward in a stupor, then turns in response to Mikhail's question. He looks completely dazed, as if the question comes equally as shocking as whatever he just witnessed. Slowly, he turns and lifts a shaking finger, pointing back from where everybody is running away from, "T-t-t-there's a... a w-woman! S-s-she... she's killing everyone!" He turns back to Mikhail - well, his party, let's be honest - "S-stop her! Please! My daughter... she's..." He gulps, the sudden realization of it all rushing back to him, "My daughter's stuck in the tower! Save her!"
[8:44 AM] Cyrtakos (nil): Cyrtakos' hand grasps the hilt of his sword harder as the second explosion drowns out the panicked cries of the citizens of Orialand. The rumble leaves an instant of silence in its wake, then the screams of fear sound again, more desperate than before - loud enough so only the most astute would be able to hear the curse the orc mutters under his breath. Once again, just as when the fellowship heard the first explosion, there is the sense of a deliberate slowing in the orc. He listens intently to what the man Mikhail engaged has to say, hearing the man's pleading, its desperation barely held in check.

The orc turns to face the rest of the companions, speaking loud enough that the worried father too might hear. "Destructive magic is turned upon men and women wielding neither sword nor shield. I will go to face enemy and see this be not so, violence turned upon that can return in kind." Cyrtakos unsheathes his crude-looking sword, to the untrained eye likely falling apart before ever taking a life. "When enemy ire is focused on 'barbarous' orc, those in need may be rescued." With this, he gives a small nod to the troubled father. "While I draw attention, others may find advantage in staying hidden in shadows..." Like the elf shooting deadly arrows, the orc considers. "...or in plain sight." He looks towards Mikhail, seems to consider a moment, then moves his hand across his face. "Soot on face will make you seem helpless citizen and may escape enemy's notice when engaged with more..." He draws his second weapon, a simple club, now a weapon in both hands. "...pressing matters."
[9:09 AM] The Lady - PoultryGeist: It's difficult to catch The Lady in the act of moving, to most she goes from lounging in her divan to comforting a crying child to staring pensively at the smoke and laughter coming from the market without a hint of motion. Her gauzy sitting-gown is gone, replace by a dark tunic and a cloak of ironbeak feathers. "This bit of performance art has quite overstayed its welcome. Murk, We shall be departing shortly. See that the audience is tended to." The wolfman bows and beings to assist those fleeing the market.
[9:32 AM] Tricky: A fairly grim look overcame Suika's traditional cheer as explosions rocked the city and the fellowship charged towards the market to confront what threat awaited. There was joy to be found on the battlefield, indeed that was her driving force. But this? What monster would work solely to threaten the civilians of Orialand? One that would meet her fists, surely.

Suika claps a hand on Mikhail's shoulder, almost sending him sprawling, as she addresses the man, "Aye, see to yourself. This one'll see your daughter safe soon enough. Right, hero?" She turned and winked at the cook, then looked over to the tower. It was distant, to be sure, but well within the reach of her prodigious strength. The orc seemed ready enough to charge into the thick of matters, as would she. But Mikhail... Well, he had hungry eyes. He'd be fine rescuing a maiden from a tower.

She looked to him, "So, hero, are ya goin' to leave the girl in peril? Or..." The grin broke through. "Do ya want to save her?"
[10:07 AM] Mikhail (Flamander): Mikhail sighed - the man was clearly in a bad state. Well, he wasn't much of a hero, was he? Not compared to everyone else around him. Wouldn't be able to do what he was asking, that was for sure. He didn't think he could get through all these people. The cook turned to Cyrtakos, and contemplated about what the best course of action was to do. "Thanks, Cyrtakos. Though... somebody needs to do something, don't you think?" Suddenly, he felt someone push him from behind.

Mikhail picked himself back off his feet, dusting off his pot pan hat. Well, that was... forceful! Righting it back on his head, he turned back to the direction of the one who pushed him, Suika. Well, it was probably best not to think about it too hard. "Oh... right! Yeah. I wanna save her - let's do this!" His eyes were practically gleaming, and he was jogging on his feet - any chance to save someone in distress would be a possible tale that could echo down his lineage!
[10:12 AM] Tricky: Suika grinned, "That's the spirit, hero. Now hold tight." She grabbed the cook by the back of his tunic, then lifted him from the ground easily. She had spotted a hole near the top of the tower -- it shouldn't be too hard to put him in through it. "Give my regards to the damsel!" Gathering all of her strength, she spun him around and sent him flying towards the tower.
[10:12 AM] Tricky: /r 3d6k2+2 #Toss Aside (w/ Hope from Bonds that Bind Us)
[10:12 AM] BOTSidekick: @Tricky: 3d6k2+2 Toss Aside (w/ Hope from Bonds that Bind Us) = (4+5+2)+2 = 11
[10:15 AM] Tricky: Mikhail lands safely, goes exactly where I want him (the hole near the top of the tower), and... I guess Suika is ready to throw another right away?
[10:23 AM] Mithras (JusticeGrieves): The press of the crowd was far too close and too desperate for Mithras to risk. Getting trampled under the feet of a stampede of U-mons was not at all the kind of contribution the Seeker intended for the Fellowship’s tale. For a time, he stood behind Cyrtakos and Suika, letting their strength break the tide as they pushed towards the market, but soon he found his own path. Two steps took him to the top of an abandoned cart, from which he jumped to take hold of a second story window sill. Kicking off the wall and twisting, his nimble fingers gripped hold of the eave of the roof, from which he swung his body up and out of sight, a flourish of his cloak marking his silent departure. His light footfalls disturbed not a single clay tile as he dashed over the sloped roofs, silvery eyes narrowed as he looked for evidence of fire. These U-mon buildings, constructed as they were of dead wood, caught fire far too easily.
[10:49 AM] The Lady - PoultryGeist: As The Lady saw The Giant prepare to launch The Boy, a beatific (if slightly unhinged) smile split her face. The Laws of Reality were threadbare and slow to react if you knew where to push. A few bars hummed into a star-like crystal, and when Mikhail took to the skies a second figure ascended with a whip-crack. As she flew through the air at his side, she graced The Boy with a wink and remarked casually, "The Sparrow Not-Born shall fly through Flame and Hate, steadfast in their duty. Their wings bring Hope to the downcast and Sustenance to the needful."
[10:49 AM] The Lady - PoultryGeist: One use of wizard's baubles (Useful)
[11:22 AM] Cyrtakos (nil): Both Mikhail and The Lady take to the skies, hurled towards whatever amaits at what is left of Orialand's market, leaving only Suika and Cyrtakos behind. A brief frown of disapproval flashes across the orc's face as he looks upon the exuberant Kami. Just as quickly, it is gone again and his eyes set upon the site of the battle to come, the market's tower entwined by smoke as if by twisting snakes. With a firm grip on his weapons and no further word for his companion, the orc starts running towards the market, time no longer on the fellowship's side.(edited)
April 14, 2017
[2:24 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: The five individuals approach the alley in three separate ways - brusquely through the crowded streets, nimbly along cracked ceramic rooftops, and by flying through the air, haphazardously aimed at a tower of great import.
[2:25 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: All arrived at the venue at around the exact same time, though one method left the travelling party with a great view into the market to scout out the happenings (I'll not hide which party, twas the one hurtling dangerously towards a brick wall).
[2:26 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: Unfortunate enough for the high-fliers, thick dust, smoke, and shouts masked anything going on in the busy marketplace, and all had to wait for it all to clear to reveal what was going on.
[2:27 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: A sullen silhouette standing in the middle of the venue chuckled mirthfully in a low, cruel tone as all five landed more or less where they had been thrown (or walked to). The dust suddenly clears, revealing...
[2:28 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: http://i.imgur.com/nSsrcNf.png

[2:29 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: Socket, the Blind Mage, Viewer of Eternity, The Fifth Sister
[2:31 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: She immediately turns to The Lady, continuing her cruel laugh, "I heard you'd be hear, though I'd thought you a better selector of companions," she says, eyes drifting to Mikhail.
[2:31 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: She begins whirling a runed staff about her, the beginnings of a powerful magical spell, "Any last words?"
[2:58 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: The Market Fight: Protect the People (5), Out of Time (2)
[2:59 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: Socket: No Sense of Right and Wrong, Kaboom!, Mage Armor, Threat to the World
[3:01 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: Confrontation at the Market: The City Guard, Eyes on the Target
[3:12 PM] The Lady - PoultryGeist: The Lady dismisses Her sister’s taunts with an elegant wave of Her hand. “Dahling, he will shake the very Firmament one day and I will be there to Sing his Names. But you? Sister Mine, taking a name? Using an implement? Following Varion is one thing, but stooping to such… mortalness? I would think you’ve forgotten what you are Dahling.”
Shaking Her head The Pale Witch approaches Socket, idly swatting at the spinning staff and Singing the Song of Infinite Disappointment at Her.
[3:12 PM] The Lady - PoultryGeist: /r 2d6+1 # Keeping Socket Busy
[3:12 PM] BOTSidekick: @The Lady - PoultryGeist: 2d6+1 Keeping Socket Busy = (4+6)+1 = 11
[3:19 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: Socket grins again as The Lady bats away her staff, and she casually brings up get other hand, which is clutched in the shape of...!
[3:21 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: The world pauses for a second, then The Lady suddenly blinks out of existence.
[3:21 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: Socket turns with a smile, "Who's next?"
[3:40 PM] The Lady - PoultryGeist: The silence is short-lived as The Lady's voice, faint and crackly, echoes around Socket, picking up Her Sisterly diatribe without missing a beat.
[3:56 PM] Tricky: Suika didn't pretend to know the first thing about diabolical magics or what exactly happened to The Lady, but she had a keen eye when it came to the flow of battle. As Socket's head turned away to deal with her apparently disembodied sister, Suika grinned. That was a prime chance if she had ever seen one. Apparently not even weird magicians could deal with family.

With a sudden burst of speed, she exploded into motion. The smoke and dust cloaking the market swirled with her passage. Socket's head snapped back towards her, but it was too late. She brought her staff level with the Kami, but the streams of magic deflected off of the armor cloaking Suika.

Using her armor to pay the price and...

Suika ducked down and, with a twist of her shoulders, slammed a fist into Socket's stomach and sent her spinning through a row of market stalls that exploded into a shower of fruits, vegetables, and wood.

...damaging the environment because she is Stronger Than Is Reasonable.
[3:56 PM] Tricky: /r 2d6+2 #Finishing Them (+Blood)
[3:56 PM] BOTSidekick: @Tricky: 2d6+2 Finishing Them (+Blood) = (1+1)+2 = 4
[3:58 PM] Tricky: Socket is no longer distracted by The Lady and retaliates against Suika.
April 15, 2017
[9:37 AM] Mikhail (Flamander): Mikhail landed right through the hole. He grunted, before dusting himself off - right, time to find the daughter and get out of here. It seemed simple enough - she was right there. Just actually had to escape the tower... but hold on, weren't those noises of battle outside? He ran outside to take a look out the window. Yeesh. From up here, it looked like that Socket lady was about to come back down on Suika like a sack of bricks - or something even worse, given the opportunity.

He had to do something! He wasn't strong though, he wasn't fast enough to get down there in time... but even the small folk had large voices, right? He shouted, with all his might, to Cyrtakos. He was probably strong enough to aid. "QUICK - CYRTAKOS, HELP SUIKA! THAT MAGE IS GOING TO STRIKE BACK!" With that said and done, he went to the daughter of the man, helping her up - "Are you okay?" - before escorting her quickly from the tower.(edited)
[12:10 PM] Cyrtakos (nil): Cyrtakos eventually slowed his pace so that he and Suika arrived at Orialand's shattered market side by side. The smoke and dust hides the one at the center of it all, until suddenly, like a seasoned master of the stage stepping out to meet the audience, the spotless woman is revealed, the dust retreating from around her like a rose opening in bloom. The orc stares at their opponents unconcerned manner, her arrogance, the sense of not really being on a battlefield, a place of life and death. It was not unfamiliar.
[12:39 PM] Cyrtakos (nil): Then, from out of the dust, another voice came, with much the same unconcerned inflection - and it took Cyrtakos a moment to recognise it for their companion, The Lady. Suika launches herself at their opponent, leaving Cyrtakos in a new cloud of dust. The warrior sets off after her in a sprint, weapons in both hands, leaping over the remains of stands, fine products carelessly scattered on the cobbled ground. The impetuous Kami brings her might to bear, aiming to fell their foe before she can do any more harm, sendong the mage flying with a mighty blow. But Cyrtakos can see that the woman seems to have lost no control, that the sorceress seems to instead float through the air almost gracefully, like she always intended to be thrown. Can he see a cruel smirk forming on her lips? Their opponent is not done, not by far, perhaps simply made aware of their presence now. The orc turns towards the mage, a battle cry forming on his lips, ready to hurl himself at the vile sorceress to finish her off.

Mikhail's voice cuts through the smoke and dust, stopping Cyrtakos - even just with a moment's relief at the knowledge that the young cook was alright, even though he decided to be hurled into the lion's den head first! Of course, the mage would set upon Suika, off balance for just long enough! "Gratitude!" He bellows, unsure where exactly Mikhail is. The orc put it out of his mind, glancing around for something to occupy the sorceress' attention for just a moment - and finds it.

Out of the dust, everyone can first hear a grunt and then a mighty kick - and shortly afterwards, a cart loaded with sacks of flour rush out of the dust, past Suika and towards where the mage vanished!(edited)
[12:41 PM] Cyrtakos (nil): /r 2d6+2 #Overcome harm towards Suika
[12:41 PM] BOTSidekick: @Cyrtakos (nil): 2d6+2 Overcome harm towards Suika = (4+6)+2 = 12
[12:43 PM] Cyrtakos (nil): Cyrtakos overcomes any harm heading Suika's way
[12:55 PM] Cyrtakos (nil): The sound of wood crashing into something and splintering fills the marketplace - just a moment after followed by a large white cloud of flour, like some accident in a gigantic bakery. Out of the cloud of white stumbles Cyrtakos towards Suika. He coughs, sending smaller clouds flying, and gestures towards his companion. "Quickly! Avoid opponent’s strike!"(edited)
[2:25 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: A scuffle of violence, and Socket is thrown halfway across the square, shattering the local economy as she went. Still, something in the strike struck Suika as odd - there was no give that flesh usually yielded.
[2:26 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: Indeed, even after a cart of flour was cast at the remnants, a low chuckle again emitted from behind cover. "You'll have to try better than that, dears."
[2:27 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: Mage Armor - Socket can only be harmed by magic.
[2:36 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: She emerges from the flour-screen, only slightly more pale while, brandishing her staff as usual. This time, however, her aim is directed.
[2:38 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: A brilliant burst of fire emits from the end of it, spewing forward and setting a number of carts and wreckage on fire - and unfortunately, is headed directly towards Cyrtakos!
[2:38 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: Cyrtakos: Pay a price, or take 1 Damage
[2:39 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: Meanwhile, the fire is raging inside the tower. Mikhail's managed to find the weary daughter, but his escape route doesn't look so clear. He has a decision to make - upward, to the rooftops, or continue to try to fight the flames to emerge onto the lower levels, where hopefully there is less fire.
[2:40 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: And finally, the wary Mithras, who has yet to reveal himself. What do you do, elf?
April 16, 2017
[1:47 PM] Cyrtakos (nil): The sorceress steps out of the cloud of dust and flour, seemingly unperturbed and filled with undiminished confidence. Cyrtakos' focuses from Suika on their opponent in an instant, and without hesitation, breaks into a sprint, his weapons at his side. The earlier, deliberate slowness is gone, replaced with a warrior's instinct. Unlike in most people, the orc can see no hesitation in Socket as he closes in on her - even though she may be blind, it is clear she sees all, and is unconcerned.

She simply raises her staff, sending forth a burst of fire - catching the orc warrior in mid-jump, aiming to bring his club down on the fellowship's opponent! With less than a blink of an eye to spare, Cyrtakos sees the attack coming and shields himself by holding out his crude club. For a moment, it seems as if he hangs in the air, the force of his jump and the power of sorceress's fire magic wrestling for supremacy - until suddenly, the warrior is hurled backwards through the air, knocked away by an explosion of fire and a rain of splinters of what remains of his weapon.

Be it luck or skill, however, the warrior has enough presence of mind to land in a roll, avoiding the worst of it. He gets back up on his feet - and immediately notices that part of his arm is on fire! He beats at the fire, the cursing no longer just under his breath, to little effect. Impossibly, the orc catches an undamaged barrel of Orlando wine in the remains of the stall next to him - and leaps for it, punching his burning arm through the wood and dousing it in its wine.

Paying a price: his weapon.(edited)
[1:55 PM] Cyrtakos (nil): "Ahhh..." A moment of calm follows, Cyrtakos feeling ridiculous with one hand stuck in a leaking barrel and the other gripping his last weapon, all in the ruins of what was a prosperous market, facing an opponent that until now has proven too powerful. He shakes it off - because this path was never about fighting an enemy that was on equal footing - and hurls himself up.

Out of the dust, he once again comes storming towards the sorceress, screaming - distracting from something else hurling towards Socket; the wooden barrel leaking what is left of its fine Orialand wine! The mage merely gives the slightest of movements and the barrel suddenly changes course, harmlessly shattering on the ground a few meters away from her.

“Suika!” He catches up to his companion and puts a hand on her shoulder, her in his mind the closest to him as a warrior. He lowers his voice. “Her might may be greater than ours, and victory by strength of blade may set flame to much of what remains of Orialand. If we are able to lay hand on staff… would you be able to hurl it into sea?”
[2:28 PM] Mikhail (Flamander): Mikhail, with the daughter in tow, went down the steps leading to the lower levels of the tower. To his dismay, there was fire covering a great area of it. "Alright. Hold on tight, kid! This might get rough..." The cook moved forward - guarding the young woman from any approaching flames. From what he could see, this fire had a pattern of sorts. All he had to do was be patient.

Overcoming the Flames with Sense because It's Dangerous to Go Alone.(edited)
[2:30 PM] Mikhail (Flamander): /r 2d6+2
[2:30 PM] BOTSidekick: @Mikhail (Flamander): 2d6+2 = (2+3)+2 = 7
[2:42 PM] Mikhail (Flamander): Taking the temporary solution.(edited)
April 18, 2017
[12:51 AM] Mithras (JusticeGrieves): Mithras stood at the sagging peak of an alehouse. Things were not going well. It was a potent magic that could banish The Pale Witch with neither invocation nor sigil, and now the Fifth Sister was casually warding away the fearsome blows of a Kami so casually. Always, the Elves had known that The Lady’s ilk were something above this existence … still, to see it so plainly underscored how vital their mission was. However, it seemed that brute force would avail them naught here. Mithras narrowed his silvery eyes as gouts of flame rolled over Cyrtakos, pulling back the length of one glove to reveal a reflective metal plate set into a leather bracer. As the elven device tasted the magic in the air, small silvery runes began to twinkle in the air above it, providing its expert analysis … though, as ever, Mithras had to rely upon his own abilities to glean anything of value from it.
[12:52 AM] Mithras (JusticeGrieves): /r 2d6+2 #Looking Closely at the Battle
[12:52 AM] BOTSidekick: @Mithras (JusticeGrieves): 2d6+2 Looking Closely at the Battle = (2+1)+2 = 5
[1:03 AM] Mithras (JusticeGrieves): (Tell me about Socket's staff. How could it hurt me? How could it help me?)
[11:23 AM] Cyrtakos (nil): Someone, obscured by the smoke and dust, rushes towards Cyrtakos. A tensions runs through the orc's muscles in an instant and he brings up his blade to meet the interloper - until he sees it is Lubo, his fellow escaped slave and brother-in-arms. "And here I thought for once I'd find you where there aren't any explosions and sounds of battle, but I guess I got lost because here we are. Lubo flashes a grin and looks at the destruction around him, then back at the other orc and Suika, as if making his point to them. Cyrtakos glances at the small barrel of wine under Lubo's arm, very similar to the one Cyrtakos threw earlier, and raises and inquisitive eyebrow at his friend - answered by a smiling shrug.

The moment passes and with practiced ease, Lubo seems to read something in the other orc' eyes and says no more.

"Enemy has endured powerful strikes, even at mighty Kami's hands, but still she does not fall." He puts a hand on his companion's shoulder. "All that can bring aid may be required to bring her down."
[11:41 AM] Cyrtakos (nil): Cyrtakos furrows his brows in thought. 'All that can bring aid'. He now realises there are some that can do so, but he did not consider them until now. At the edge of the battlefield that is the remains of the market, a guard of Orialand watches the fight, caught in indecision,caught between duty and fear, no doubt wanting to do something but too unsettled at his home's destruction to come to a decision.

"You!" Cyrtakos' sword shoots forward, pointing at the guard - making him stumble back a step before thinking. "Alert garrison and bring to bear forces to counter sorcerous might!" The guard stares at the orc, stunned by the intensity in his eyes. "Leave weapons. I shall use them to fight in your stead for as long as we are able. Now, go!"(edited)
[11:43 AM] Cyrtakos (nil): /r 2d6+2 #Talk Sense (+Sense for explaining plan), Cyrtakos wants the guard to call the anti-magic garrison and also to leave his weapons for Cyrtakos to use
[11:43 AM] BOTSidekick: @Cyrtakos (nil): 2d6+2 Talk Sense (+Sense for explaining plan), Cyrtakos wants the guard to call the anti-magic garrison and also to leave his weapons for Cyrtakos to use = (5+2)+2 = 9
[4:58 PM] Tricky: In the moments before the orc sought the aid of the guard, Suika grinned at him. Despite the situation, she seemed more excited by the caliber of their foe than anything else. "I could toss it to the horizon, aye. In the meanwhile I was thinkin' of keeping her eyes on me. It's a little hard to really cut loose with a buncha people in the way. If they get outta here..." Her eyes hardened. "No magic'll save her when I get serious."

She walked slowly towards Socket, stretching her arms and cracking her neck as she walked. So what if she couldn't hurt the witch? She sure as hell could send her flying head over heels. The real trick would be gettin' her flying in such a way that didn't put the crowd in the line of fire. As she started to run towards the witch, another burst of arcane fire scorched one of Suika's legs. It wasn't enough to break her stride, but it was easy to see she was starting to favor it. Something sounded like it went up behind her, but she didn't swing her head back to look.

Paying a Price to Keep Socket Busy: damaging Grace and something breaks!

Suika grabbed onto the staff with both arms and kept charging forward. If she couldn't level it with the crowd, she couldn't do any more damage to the people. The market was starting to seem like a bit of a lost cause, but people could surely rebuild with time.
[4:59 PM] Tricky: /r 2d6+2 #Keeping Socket Busy (+Courage)
[4:59 PM] BOTSidekick: @Tricky: 2d6+2 Keeping Socket Busy (+Courage) = (4+3)+2 = 9
[5:00 PM] Tricky: Socket is kept busy for a short time. This counts as an advantage.

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 29, 2017

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
June 1, 2017
[1:00 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: The guard captain levels grave eyes on Cyrtakos, then nods slowly, "Aye, Chainbreaker." The man turns to leave, then pauses. He unsheathes his sword and tosses it to Cyrtakos. The well-oiled blade lands easily in the orc's hands, and it doesn't take a genius that the weapon has seen many fights, and even greater care. "I'll want it back," he says, parting.
[1:03 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: Socket's evil cackle rebounds from behind Cyrtakos. "Sending away aid, so soon?" she asks in jest. "Surely you have more pressing matters..." Cyrtakos whips around, in time to reveal her finishing a major spell - orange flames leap from her fingers, expanding in all directions, nearly singeing Cyrtakos' skin—but certainly demolishing most everything else in their paths.
[1:03 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: The fire is spreading quickly - this fight is getting out of control
[1:03 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: Protect the People -1
[1:06 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: Mikhail, however, emerges coughing from the main level of the smoking tower - a smoking maiden close behind him! She breathes in the clean air greedily, then turns to Mikhail. "Thank you... sir... whoever you are..." she manages, before another coughing fit takes her. The tower behind them suddenly emits a series of creaks and loud snaps - it's falling!
[1:06 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: --
[1:06 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: Elsewhere
[1:06 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: The Lady emerges into a void.
[1:06 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: A sudden sense of nothingness surrounds her
[1:07 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: But... there is sensation. Air. Ground under her feet.
[1:08 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: She looks around, revealing an empty expanse in all directions, and a grey, pulsating sky above. Grey dust covers everything.... save the other inhabitant of this place.
[1:10 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: A strange amalgam of weaponry and armor - a jumbled, whirling thing of a being faces The Lady, floating several inches off the ground. As she watches, swords, axes, shields, poles, and pikes ripples in waves throughout the thing.
[1:10 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: A few feet behind it, a strange portal ripples, and brief fiery explosions can be heat faintly emanating from within. A way back. But between it and you - that.
[1:11 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: All - What do you do?
[4:28 PM] The Lady - PoultryGeist: The Lady looks across the expanse, annoyance twisting her perfect features.
“The Emptiness? Does that silly child think this place can hold me?
Her attention focuses on the gateway, and the entity in front of it. Puzzlement replaces the annoyance.
“Korgilthop? Is that you dahling? Get over here you silly thing, I haven’t seen you in ages.”
She plants air-kisses on either side of what might pass for the thing’s head, and reaches in and begins to rearrange the bits or armor and weaponry.
“Look what that silly child has done with you dahling, you’re positively shabby. You simply must come with Me through to Reality. I sure Murk has some much nicer bits and bobs for you to wear, and I would certainly never leave you in The Emptiness. So drab.”
The Lady pats a shattered breastplate that approximates Korgilthop’s shoulder, and indicates it should go through the portal first.
[4:28 PM] The Lady - PoultryGeist: /r 2d6+2 # Talk Sense w/ Grace (Asking Korgilthop to go back with Her)
[4:28 PM] BOTSidekick: @The Lady - PoultryGeist: 2d6+2 Talk Sense w/ Grace (Asking Korgilthop to go back with Her) = (1+6)+2 = 9
June 2, 2017
[12:12 PM] Mikhail (Flamander): Mikhail panics. He doesn't want to get crushed by a falling tower! As well, he had this lady to worry about... at least it looked like it was a clear path ahead, right? He took her by the hand. "There's no time! You'll have to follow me!" With that said and done, the young aspiring chef ran for his life. He hoped he'd be able to get out of the tower's vicinity in time...!
[12:13 PM] Mikhail (Flamander): /r 2d6-1 #Get Away (oh no a tower)
[12:13 PM] BOTSidekick: @Mikhail (Flamander): 2d6-1 Get Away (oh no a tower) = (1+3)-1 = 3
[12:30 PM] Cyrtakos (nil): Cyrtakos does not let his eyes stray from the guard's as he catches the man's sword, high in the air. The orc brings the blade down in a circle, making the air sing with its sharpness. A good blade, he thinks. A brief nods passes between the two men before the guard captain breaks off, hurrying towards his destination and hopefully, aid still within time.

A good blade. A good man, he thinks, but there is something bitter in the thought, a poison that he felt earlier and stopped the orc from calling upon the guards right away. But he knows what it is: Young men in uniform, tasked with upholding the law, if need be by force of arms. In recent years, he suffered under such law, unjust. Law that said that men and women could be property.

He grips the sword tighter, lets the thought vanish. Right now, the guard captain is a fellow warrior, bound with Cyrtakos by purpose and the blade he lent him. He wants the blade returned, but Cyrtakos muses that all that go to war, blade and warrior alike, can make no such promises. But at least if either blade or warrior should break,it will be for a just purpose - and covered in the blood of hated enemies.

He whirls around, as if released from a bubble of frozen time, leaping aside and away from Sockets onslaught. The fire almost burns his skin. It is odd - he can hear even single word out of the sorceress’ mouth clearly, though the chaos of the battlefield. He launches himself towards her, leaps over a fallen, burning stall, prepares to strike at her - a feint. He rolls past Socket on the other side, barely dodging her staff striking the air in a wide arc.

“Do not pay mind to my concerns, witch! You have put fire to flesh enough, now I think it is time to return such in kind!” The orc lets out a warrior's cry, once again feint an overhead strike and instead goes low, kicking some dust towards the sorceress’ face. Nothing that will stop her powerful magic - only keep her attention from the others.
[12:31 PM] Cyrtakos (nil): /r 2d6+2 #Keep Busy (Brutally Cunning)
[12:31 PM] BOTSidekick: @Cyrtakos (nil): 2d6+2 Keep Busy (Brutally Cunning) = (4+2)+2 = 8
[12:35 PM] Cyrtakos (nil): Paying a price to act against Socket: Damaging Courage.
A flame shoots out of the cloud of dust in response, narrowly missing the orc's face. He can feel a rumbling in the ground, the sound of crumbling stone in the direction he last saw Mikhail, the Little Cook. He feels a pull, wants to turn around and make sure Mikhail is all right - but in front of him remains the sorceress. And she would strike him down would he turn his back on her - or one of the fleeing citizens of Orialand. He leaps at her again, not sure if aid will arrive in time or whether this will end before it started, buried in ruins, and flames, and death.

But then, at least he has a blade firm in hand. Cyrtakos speaks to his opponent, agressive but clear of voice. "Speak then of poisoned thought behind laying waste to simple people! So often I hear violence against those that cannot resist and are blameless called being done in the name of 'greater design', as if people are grains in the baking of bread. Speak then!"(edited)
June 12, 2017
[2:58 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: Korgilthop turns, then slashes at the Lady with a cruel, curved blade. Clearly, it remembers the last time you'd met. Pay the price, if you please, and then command lore about what you did to irritate poor Korgilthop - who clearly has been planted there at Socket's behest.
[2:59 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: -Meanwhile-
[3:05 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: The tower groans and creaks like an ancient mariner behind Mikhail, and as he reaches out to take the maiden's hand, the spire gives one final snap - then tilts dangerously in their direction. It begins to topple, and Mikhail quickly gets himself and the damsel moving. As if in slow motion, it looms closer and nearer - but Mikhail can tell he's almost out of the way. Unfortunately, the maiden lags behind - does the boy choose to save himself, or propel her forward at his own peril? Pay the price, young ward.
[3:19 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: Socket, close by, smiles cruelly as a whirl of fire lashes out at Cyrtakos, the flames barely rebuffed by a mixture of excellent blade slashes and the orc's own swift movements. She spits out a quick response, "Is it violence to step on an ant? Cruelty to put a suffering dog out of its misery? Tell me orc - how many dead flies have fallen by your hand, attracted by your stench?" She whirls her staff again, preparing a great spell, "No, orc, these people are not worth the grain in my bread. " She pauses a second, gloating in her analogy, "No... this loaf is far, far greater..."
[3:19 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: And then, a giant ball of energy slams into her face.
[3:21 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: Whirling, Cyrtakos spies his newfound friend, standing next to a cadre of mages, all casting signs in conjunction, preparing another spell. Socket screams, pain turned to rage, and turns to face them. Their second attack comes quickly after, but Socket bats it aside like nothing. Her back, however, has been left wide open. Cyrtakos has gained an Advantage against Socket
June 13, 2017
[12:53 PM] Cyrtakos (nil): The captain of the guard, returned with others of the city’s defenders, wielding magic fire is like the scream of reinforcements on the battlefield, just before they come rushing to strengthen a line that was about to break. Though it is not Cyrtakos’ way to let out a jubilant shout - especially with the cold anger that had built with each of the witch’s word. Familiar words peddled by those that wished to share their view that what they did was not wrong, nay, it was just, necessary. Always there were those ‘lesser’ and those ‘above’. Words to balm their own egos. Poison to others that dream themselves masters.

The witch’s back is turned, her shadow thrown onto Cyrtakos as a she summons a ball of fire in front of her, to be sent screaming towards the captain of the guard and his mages. The orc does not hesitate, that deliberate slowing from before gone. He dashes forward, his sword raised, ready to strike down his foe. She spins around, though this time, just a bit slower, later than before, the easy control of the battlefield slipping from her grasp. The orc’s blade embeds itself deep in the witch’s staff brought around to counter his blow and for a moment, both combatants are locked together, drawn together, face to face.
[12:53 PM] Cyrtakos (nil): “You speak of ants, of flies.” The orc’s boiling blood is audible through his voice, though still tempered, deliberate. “And what manner of creature, tell me, rants at the ants and the flies, screaming about how it is superior?”

He does not wait for a response and instead, headbutts the sorceress, making her stumble backwards, her staff still in hand. She grabs it tighter, focusing on the orc again and Cyrtakos’ blade, still stuck to the staff, bursts into flames and within a second, crumbles into dust. Socket holds aloft the staff, preparing for another attack on the orc - until suddenly, she has to throw herself aside as another magical blast from the city’s mages almost hits her. Getting slower still.

A cloud of smoke envelops Socket - and through it flies Cyrtakos, the gleaming sword of the captain of the guard held high, ready to taste flesh.
Paying a price to act against Socket: Losing the last orc-made weapon.(edited)
[12:53 PM] Cyrtakos (nil): /r 2d6+2 #Finish Them (+Blood)
[12:53 PM] BOTSidekick: @Cyrtakos (nil): 2d6+2 Finish Them (+Blood) = (4+4)+2 = 10
[1:22 PM] Cyrtakos (nil): For a moment, it seems as if Socket and Cyrtakos are frozen in time, the orc hanging in the air, bringing down the captain's blade onto the sorceress' staff - and then, with a great noise like a giant tree being ripped apart in the middle fills the devastated market and the great staff breaking violently, pieces flying every which way, even the big orc thrown back by the magical explosion.

For a second, a great silence descends, as if all sound was sucked away by the great noise and Socket looks at her empty hands, with her empty eyes, unbelieving. Her head starts to move up - and Cyrtakos’ hard fist hits her in the temple, throwing her to the ground, sprawled. “What manner of creature would feel the sting of an ant, of a fly?”

He leaps down at Socket, trying to get up, and holds her down, one of his great knees over her chest. He looks down at her. “What manner of creature?” The orc stares, eyes burning, even though he knows she cannot see. And then, he grabs her by her long, elaborate braid, lifts her head, and with the other hand, lifts the sword, singing in the air. A moment passes. Two.
[1:23 PM] Cyrtakos (nil): “But do not fret.” His voice almost soft now. “I know it is not madness that makes you rant at those you propose ants and flies. It is the poison of arrogance, greed and cruelty. You know in your heart we are not ants, not flies, not grain to your bread. Why else would you try to convince both us and yourself of such again and again?” The orc’s hand tightens into a fist, pulling hair - and then there is the sound of a blade’s swift strike. Cyrtakos’ hand shoots up, holding the defeated sorceress’ cut off braid, unsoiled by any blood.

Cyrtakos gets up, stuffing the trophy into his belt. He looks at his defeated enemy one last time before turning away. “Do not rise, or you shall not have opportunity for such a second time.” Then there is the footfall of approaching men and women, the captain of the guard and his reinforcements. Soon, they are all gathered, three of them restraining Socket, still on the ground.

The orc and the captain share a look, and Cyrtakos clasps the man’s forearm. “Gratitude. Aid is much appreciated. Know that it was your blade that brought down enemy.” He turns around, towards the crumbling tower, releases the man’s arm. “Valued companions need me at their side. There is little time.”
Forge a Bond with the Captain of the Guard (Name TBD)
June 14, 2017
[5:26 PM] The Lady - PoultryGeist: Korgilthop’s blade strikes The Lady in the face but the sound of it isn’t the dull slap of meat, but the high shattering of fine porcelain. She turns back to the creature, Her face webbed with fine cracks and an empty eye socket dripping crystal shards. (Sense is damaged)
A great sadness passes across Her damaged face, memories of Times Before. But it is only natural for children to lash out at their parents, and Korgilthop was the first of the Paleborn. Its was an accidental birth, a remnant of the battle-magic unleashed by the Pale Witch in Her first battle for the Empire. And while She loved Her firstborn, the love of a Harbinger is not a warm and comforting thing. And there came a time when She thought it best for it to make its own way in the world, as Her Doom hung over Her always. But Korgilthop took Her wish for it to better itself as abandonment, and it seems it still bears a grudge.
“I see you have made your choice dahling. A disappointing one, but I respect it nonetheless. We shall discuss your lack of filial respect soon, but now I must deal with that silly child before She does something She will regret.”
[5:27 PM] The Lady - PoultryGeist: /r 2d6+2 # The Lady Gets Away through the Portal
[5:27 PM] BOTSidekick: @The Lady - PoultryGeist: 2d6+2 The Lady Gets Away through the Portal = (5+6)+2 = 13
[5:30 PM] The Lady - PoultryGeist: With that, the Lady opens her parasol once more and Leaves. There is no hint of physical movement, she simply goes from standing in front of her child to walking through the portal as if space didn’t exist between those points
-You get there quickly, avoiding any harm along the way
• You get there quietly, drawing no attention:(edited)
June 16, 2017
[7:26 AM] Mikhail (Flamander): Mikhail looked upwards, aghast at the tower. As he ran and ran, all he could hear were screams of panic, and the burning embers of buildings half-gone. drat it all! He continued to dodge and scramble over all sorts of rubble. The maiden was right behind him - he could do it, he just knew it! Just had to make it there. But from the looks of it...

He wasn't going to have much more time. If only the young man had got out the tower sooner. "No use in crying over spilled milk, I guess. Come on, miss." If he wasn't going to get out of here on time - she certainly was. "We gotta get going." He grabbed her around the stomach... and started to run as fast as he could. However, the tower kept falling and falling. Even if he used this method - well, it was her or him, to cut a long story short.

Mikhail attempted to throw the maiden far ahead - one, two, and three! "Graah!" he grunted as she flew out of reach of the tower. Just had to... run for it! He sprinted out of the way of the collapsing tower, mostly managing to stay out of the way - that was, until a stray bit of debris hit his leg. Luckily for him, he was mostly out of the range of the tower at the time - and so, he barely managed to get out of the tower's way. The chef got out his spear, beginning to lean on it, heaving.

Grace is Damaged(edited)
[7:55 AM] Mikhail (Flamander): /r 2d6+1 # Throw time! (Overcome)(edited)
[7:55 AM] BOTSidekick: @Mikhail (Flamander): 2d6+1 Throw time! = (2+1)+1 = 4
June 19, 2017
[3:49 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: The young chef runs for it, throwing the maiden safely out of the way of falling debris - and getting hit in the back in the process. He is thrown several meters clear of the demolished tower, and already he can feel pain blossoming on his right shoulderblade. Not disclocated... but close. That'll take a while to heal. Grace is damaged, indeed.
[3:51 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: The young maiden, shaken but not unstirred, beams at the boy - but spotting the nearby arrest of Socket and return of the Lady, even she can sense you have better things to do than talk to her. Or, do you?
[3:52 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: Meanwhile, the Lady returns only to find all handled - the portal closes behind her cleanly, revealing a torrid battlefield, now pacified. Socket is being hauled away - Any last words?
[3:53 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: Cyrtakos, however, stands victorious - clearly his heroics have gone well. He's bonding with some local captain - but surely you're curious as to what happened. Oh, and the boy - there he is - Mikhail dusting off a heaping portion of splinter and dust, revealing a cruel gash on his back. But he's together, so at least there's that.
[3:55 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: The captain nods squarely at Cyrtakos' acknowledgement, then again as you turn to your companions. "Nay, twas yours - and well downed, at that. Seek me later - there's more to this than just the mage." A clasp on the shoulder as he regains his blade from you - but in its wake, a crumpled note. A mystery for later - first, to your fellowship.
[3:56 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: * OK, so that's the end of combat - feel free to do loose-form RP among yourselves, and ask me questions. I'll move along to the next scene when it feels appropriate *
[3:56 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: Also, end of scene stuff to come
[6:27 PM] The Lady - PoultryGeist: Passing through the portal The Lady is now clad in fine silks, shaped in a rich facsimile of the coastal pirate. A sequined eye-patch covers Her hollow eye, but the cracks in Her face stand out against her pale complexion. With but a small gesture on Her part, the valet Murk appears at Mikhail’s side, offering his support. “Lean on me Young Master, it would not do to further injure yourself after the battle.”
[6:28 PM] The Lady - PoultryGeist: The Lady Herself approaches the knot of people around The Blind Mage, nodding at Cyrtakos and favoring the guardsmen with a smile. She then runs a hand over Her Sister’s bare scalp and sighs. “I hoped to avoid this dear Sister, but Your arrogance has merely brought You one step closer to Your Doom. I am sorry, but the Singer of the Secret Names cannot show favoritism.”

She ignores Her Sister’s startled sobs as She walks away, humming to Herself. The humming builds into a melody, and then a wordless chorus. At last Her voice joins in, as She Sings to the world of the Shorn Sorceress and the Battle of Market Square. The Song spreads not just by the sound of The Singer of the Secret Names’ voice, but is woven into the very fabric of reality, becoming something folks will hum under their breath without thinking about it.

Even Valion and Her other Sisters. (Using Wizardry to send a message by mysterious means)(edited)
June 20, 2017
[10:55 AM] Cyrtakos (nil): With some reluctance, Cyrtakos passed the captain's blade back to him - perhaps simply a warrior's instinct or something else, despite everything, a mistrust for those bearing arms and uniform when he himself did not. But he put it from his mind, far more important things than the shadows of clouded mind in front of him. Mikhail, the Little Cook, framed by the billowing cloud of dust of the crumbled tower behind him as if in a painting, but he himself exhausted, bleeding.

The orc quickly scans the ruins all around, thrusts his nose into the air, and, for a moment, is frozen in concentration. Then the moment passes and with it, a measure of the tension in the warrior's muscles, his eyes, does with it. Nobody else lay in wait. The only sound akin to those of battle were the cries of the people of Orialand, but they were no longer as urgent, as desperate. Not the screams of those in mortal fear, running for their lives. For good or ill, for now, the battle was done.
[11:05 AM] Cyrtakos (nil): Pushing aside the ruins of the market's stalls, Cyrtakos walks up to Mikhail, only a small part of his mind at this moment wondering about the captain's note, passed in secret. It could wait. "Little Cook. You did well." He lays a hand on the younger man's shoulder, surpisingly lightly, turning his injured shoulder towards him. "Enemy lies defeated, unable to rip out last innocent's throat in downfall." He turns his head, looking over to where the sorceress is being lead away by the city's defenders - and is taken aback as he spots The Lady, with as much explanation for her reappearance as for her vanishing from the battlefield. She is spotless, seemingly apart from everything around her, and wearing different clothing. For a few seconds, he simply stares, then shakes it off.
[11:30 AM] Cyrtakos (nil): "You." His voice turned towards the maiden standing to the side, somewhere between polite and intimidated. She is startled, though still too much in shock to do more than just flinch, as if she just heard an unexpected loud noise. "Tend to wound or find someone skilled at such." Cyrtakos turn from her and, taller than the cook, looks down at him, and after a moment, subdued smile passes across his face, though he does not say more.

"Interrupting something, am I?" Lubo's voice cuts through the silence as he walks in onto the four gathered people, The Lady's valet Murk so discreet as to be invisible. He grins broadly and drops the jumbled mess of metal, wood and stone he carried between his arms onto the ground. "Had the feeling you'd ruin all your weapons, just as always." He nods his head at Cyrtakos, bereft of any blade, and, his point proven, winks at Mikhail. "Not everyone we're gonna fight is going to be as well-armed as Wolf legionnaires, you know."

Cyrtakos shrugs and kneels, pulling out a piece of the sorceress' staff and a sharp piece of metal from the pile without hesitation. "Still they fall." The deadly metal splinter is forced through the remains of the staff, affixed with a nearby strap of leather, forming a crude but wicked-looking pickaxe. "Mikhail, see wound attended to and then join in sharing words with The Lady. There must be purpose behind attack, no matter how poisoned of mind." His voice is almost kind, far from the cold anger flung at his opponent not a few minutes ago.

Forge a Bond with Mikhail.(edited)
June 22, 2017
[4:09 AM] The Lady - PoultryGeist: "It was a test dahling. Of the Rangers, of us, of the Lands." The Lady has now joined the circle of heroes, lounging on an artfully arranged pile of rubble. "The feud between My Sisters and I provide the perfect cover for Valion as well. While we would never be so gauche as to have an age, The Shorn Sorceress is the youngest of the Seven Sisters. Rash of thought and quick to action, it would take but a few whispered words to send her here. If She succeeds, excellent. If She does not, the observers hidden nearby can report on the tactics encountered and such."
[6:23 AM] Mikhail (Flamander): Mikhail glanced to his side - glad that Murk had offered his assistance. "Thank you, Murk." He leant on the valet. He looked around in the meantime. "Cyrtakos!" The cook was gleeful that the trio had made it out alive. "Thanks. So did you!" After all, he wouldn't have been able to take on Socket like that. No way. He turned his head with the orc, looking to The Lady. He wasn't going to question how her costume changed - as far as he was concerned, it was probably magic of some sort. Like the old legends!

He noticed how Cyrtakos had told the young maiden what to do - not that he wanted any help per se... he could do this on his own, just fine! Then again, perhaps that was just him trying to show off - and he certainly didn't need to do that after he saved that lady from the tower. He kept leaning on Murk for the time being. As Lubo came in, Mikhail looked at the orc. "Not really?" An awkward smile spread across his face. "Well, yeah, I guess that's the case, but I don't-" Mikhail suddenly noticed that Cyrtakos had lost his blade. "Oh, I see." He winked back at Lubo.

"OK." The chef said to Cyrtakos' order. This wound would put a dent in his fighting performance, certainly... how was he going to become a great hero at this rate? Mikhail turned his head to The Lady and began conversation - "I get it." He thought about it. What The Lady was saying made sense. "It's the act with the least amount of potential for risk." Valion had sent the Shorn Sorceress to test them; much like how in a game of chess, you would start by moving a pawn forward. The question was - "Why would he need to test us?" He was puzzling it over... did Valion not know where they were?
[10:42 AM] Cyrtakos (nil): Cyrtakos wondered how it was possible that The Lady should approach without sound, or rather, not approach at all but somehow seemingly change from standing a good distance away to leisurely laying on a pile of rubble, spotless, as if she were a lady of the house and this was her parlor. Arts not wielded by mortal hands, he supposed. At the Lady's mention of the true nature of his opponent, now defeated, the orc's brow creases. Her sister. He knew of the rumours of the harbingers' betrayal, of course, but always many motives and designes were assigned to their mysterious doings - and usually, it seemed as if the harbingers cared little for the rumours of others. But it was not such thoughts that moved Cyrtakos' hand over the sorceress' braid, stuck under his belt. A trophy, now with new meaning - stolen from one of his companion's kin. He considers his words for several seconds. "I wonder if you would rather have hand stayed entirely from kin - or if blade should have cut deeper."
[10:51 AM] Cyrtakos (nil): A moment passes. "Ties of blood are stronger than many. But so is pain and anger at betrayal of such." Before his mind's eye, the orc sees both his people's suffering in chains - and too the whip and iron wielded by his kin, called by coin and cruelty. A dark shadow passes over his weathered face - but then he again becomes aware of Mikhail, his earnest words, even now trying to puzzle out their opponents' designs. The shadow vanishes and instead, it is replaced by a smile, tired, but a smile still. He sits down, finally, his massive body conjuring up a minor cloud of dust.
[11:06 AM] Cyrtakos (nil): The orc considers both his companions, now once again deliberately slowing himself, the heat of battle passed. "If indeed attack had no greater design but to test strength, then sorceress' life was but a pawn in the plans of the one that made it so. Though I doubt your sister thought herself a pawn." He brings up a large hand, rubbing over his short-cropped grey beard. It made sense, in a manner, for even though the sorceress was powerful, she did not seem a good soldier, a reliable sword in a general's army. "It may be to our advantage, if we should again face your kin. For if one should be discarded without thought as pawn, what should stop other sisters to share in fate? And if such is true, should the sister not abandon duties and see to own safety?" He shrugs. "Such words may strike true where steel cannot."
[11:16 AM] Cyrtakos (nil): Finally, he hangs his head - and then again smiles, looks up again. "But we should not forget victory, foe brought down and innocents kept from harm!" He claps Mikhail on the back - lightly - briefly looks at The lady, and decides against doing the same for her. "And too we should not forget city's defenders, for surest defense against tyranny is if all stand against it, not but few, however mighty." A prickiling at the back of his neck makes him look over to Lubo - who is jokingly rolling his eyes at his brother-in-arms at yet another serious, if inspirational speech.

Cyrtakos almost grins and waves him off. "It is not merely overzealous tongue that makes me speak so. Captain of the guard gave me this..." He produces the note passed to the orc by the captain in secret. "...and told of need to further break words, with new insight on attack."
[11:21 AM] Cyrtakos (nil): "Oh-ho-ho, you've got a secret note from him? You'll have to introduce us!" Lubo grins broadly, and fake-elbows Mikhail's side. "I'm away one minute, and already you are making new friends! Speaking of which..." And with that, the jollier orc by far passes the remains of a blade over to Cyrtakos, who all this time, without any apparent need to think, has been assembling a new array of crude, makeshift, but no less deadly looking weapons - an arsenal forged out of the remains of Orialand's market.(edited)
[1:39 PM] The Lady - PoultryGeist: The Lady waves away Cyrtakos' concern for Her with a slight wave. "While I love My Sister and am saddened to see Her lessened so, do not feel concern over your actions towards Her. She chose to attack Orian, and We are made of stern enough stuff that codling Us would be silly." She gestures at the cracks in Her face for emphasis. "And besides, even if She was imprisioned until her captors forgot who She was, what is a century or two to a Sister?
[1:48 PM] The Lady - PoultryGeist: "And dear Sparrow, Valion tests us because he knows who we are. His forces would be able to defeat The Breaker of Chains or The Pale Witch or The Sparrow-Not-Born, but what happens when they work together? The tacticians if the old Empire were a canny lot, and he's learned from their mistakes."
June 23, 2017
[11:29 AM] Cyrtakos (nil): Cyrtakos listens to The Lady's words and holds his tongue - for indeed he wondered whether The Lady would have wished for him to spare her sister, he in the same breath asked whether he should have not carried out harsher punishment. Though calling it 'punishment' would be misleading, for all that took up arms put their lives on the line, but so often, not just them. In silence, he wondered whether The Lady and her kin even thought they could feel the sting of death. He suspected that at the least the defeated sorceress would have thought such things only for ants and flies and the grain.

But he knew better. He had seen men who proclaimed themselves living gods, carried on a throne of slaves, crawl before him. Their noble white togas, stained red with their noble blood, pierced by Cyrtakos sword, the life draining out of them. Around them, the fires of their burning palaces - for one night, the slaves of the city of Metellia no longer such, putting steel to the throats of their former masters. The orc, for a moment, covers his eyes with his hand. It was proper - but was it still the way forward? Did he not dedicate himself now to a higher cause? But what was the worth of higher causes if he should abandon vengeance on those deserving, by blood debt a thousandfold? He wonders now why he did not take a more final trophy from the defeated sorceress.(edited)
[11:46 AM] Cyrtakos (nil): He shakes his head, and tries to push away the troubled thoughts. The orc looks at The Lady, at the little cook, and smiles, albeit it a more guarded, tired smile. "Those that would see others under heel would see them divided, not merely not standing together, but jealous and mistrustful of each other. The mightiest weapon of those that seek to 'lead'. We three shall instead stand together. And in time, we shall see others that would not yield grasp sword and stand together."

A moment passes, and Cyrtakos' gaze falls on Lubo - though he once again makes light of his friend's seriousness, there is something in Lubo's eyes that tell that he saw the shadow pass over Cyrtakos' mind. Finally, the Breaker Of Chains pulls himself up, clasps Mikhail's shoulder. "Sparrow-Not-Born!" His voice again normal. "Auspicious sign as if from shaman's mouth. Though the sparrow still has some lessons to learn - after business at hand is done, we should spar again, Little Cook."

Stocking up on orc-made weapons (x4) in the meantime (or between this scene and the next)
[12:12 PM] Mikhail (Flamander): The idea suddenly dawned on Mikhail - one against one was quite the fight as it was, but two against one was harder. "Ohhh... ok. I get it." He slowly moved over to some rubble and sat down - the chef figured that he probably shouldn't exert himself, at least until his wound was properly healed. Turning his head to Cyrtakos, he made his reply. "Yes, I about reckon we should." Mikhail agreed - he definitely had to train up... although sparring with Cyrtakos tended to be... brutal at times, in his opinion. Maybe that was just his constitution. That could wait until later, anyways. For now, he was going to rest.

Forge a bond with Cyrtakos (I really want to spar with Cyrtakos, later.)(edited)
June 26, 2017
[5:26 PM] The Lady - PoultryGeist: The Lady simply watches as The Breaker of Chains goes about his business. Iron when he needs to be, a soft hand when necessary. 'Good', she thinks. 'For if My Doom comes before this is over, there must be another to take up the Burden' Forge a Bond with Cyrtakos (Crytakos gives me hope for the future)(edited)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Scene 2 - Orialand, Midsommer's Day

[12:51 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: The eve comes and goes quickly, all exhausted from the day's events. However, with the dawn comes a renewed charge in the air - Orialand is safe once again, and its people are greatful to the fellowship for saving them.
[12:55 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: Gifts come, in time, to your doorstep - trinkets, some fine clothing - but the greatest comes in the care of Guard-Captain Tarvin Marson. The resolute man leads a cadre of guards carrying carefully oil-wrapped rations, surely good for numerous meals the fellowship will certainly need. Marson then nods to @Cyrtakos (nil), a smile briefly appearing, "I've been given leave by the Magistrate to accompany you ahead. We Orians are all grateful for the exploits of your group." Then, in hushed tones, he whispers, "Have you opened the note yet?"
[12:56 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: When you do, it answers little. Foreign script, some sort of flowing language that all runs together across the page. Only one word is recognizable - "VALION," emboldened in the middle.
[1:01 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: Marson grimly continues, "We found that on the corpse of a dock-worker a few days ago. We think he was actually a spy, meant to intercept with the blind mage. Now, it may be a hint of what she was here for - or where she was planning to go next." He grimaces, "The Wadunese Three may be able to read the script - though we'd have to pass by Hilinde to get there. Rumors are that Toother is having a great contest to name a Champion - best avoid the entire thing, if you ask me."
[1:01 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: Command Lore: Wadun is a wizard city further inland on the peninsula, known for its Thiumvirate leadership. Little is known of its leaders, save their names: Blister, Greystaff, and Q'llon.
[1:02 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: Command Lore: Hilinde is a lawless town run by the Pirate King Toother. The man is known for being brutal and cruel to his enemies, but generous and honest to his allies.
[1:03 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: You can now choose between a number of options, including to Have a Little Downtime, Journey to Hilinde, Journey to Wadun, or something else.
June 30, 2017
[8:36 AM] The Lady - PoultryGeist: Cyrtakos finds that The Lady has been behind him, reading over his shoulder. No sound of breath or hint of motion, just there. She lean back a little when he notices Her and smiles. "Ah, dear Toother was such a vital specimen of mortality the last time I past through. But as much as I would like to renew our aquiantance, Wadun is our true goal." Her smile widens, reminding the assembled of a predatory fish. "And this time they won't be able to deny Me entrance. They have flouted their fate for long enough."
[11:25 AM] Cyrtakos (nil): Cyrtakos is slow to respond, his mind somewhere else, shadows of the thoughts upon seeing the fine trinkets brought before him by the grateful of Oria. Once, when a young warrior of burning blood, he would have desired them as the spoils of war, proof of victory and prowess. Not so long ago, he would have wanted them not for himself but another, to express what sometimes his words failed to. But she was gone. What need had he now of such trinkets, on the path before him and where, without doubt, it would one day lead?

He shakes it off, with some wry amusement remembering that in his youth, he could not understand the elders’ thoughts of things past, when what needed doing was in front of them. He pats the bundle beside him, precious trinkets and fine cloth made ready for travel. It would make a fine gift, or may yet be exchanged for things of a more practical nature. The orc then notices The Lady, close, and only when his mind does not recollect her approaching, with any sound, a shiver runs down the great body’s spine. He knew The Lady was on their side, of course, but much of her manner was… not as it should be, for lack of a better word.
[11:25 AM] Cyrtakos (nil): Cyrtakos ignores her and his thoughts for the moment and focuses on the captain of the guard, Tarvin Marson alongside the note, finally able to study it. Valion. If indeed it was a secret message, displaying the name so openly was arrogant - but then again, arrogance was often an affliction of those that thought themselves better than all others. The orc squints his eyes, then finally, puts the note down on the table. “Curious that spy finding bloody end and allied sorceress laying waste to Orialand’s market should take place so closely together. Mind cannot but wonder whether one lead to other.” He shrugs. “Perhaps sorceress shall shed light, though whether words shall be clear of meaning I am doubtful.”
[11:26 AM] Cyrtakos (nil): With his deliberate slowness, the great orc turns around in his chair, facing The Lady and Mikhail, nearby, handing the note to the little cook before focussing on her of many names. “Rulers of Wadun are known to you, Lady? You speak of them no longer able to escape fate. Most would attempt such, however, and struggle against all who stand for it. What sort of welcome shall we receive with you among us, I wonder?” Again, he shrugs. “No matter. Note must yield its meaning, for mention of Valion is too important to ignore.”

“Wadun?” He looks at both of his companions, waiting for their assent. For a moment, he wonders why it now seems he speaks for them, as leader. Captain Tavrin spoke of ‘your group’ - whether he meant that it was Cyrtakos’ unclear. Whatever the case, it was well for the moment. The orc turns around and grasps Tavrin’s lower arm with his, shaking it. “It is well you shall accompany us.” A pause. “Bring spare sword, though not for me.”
[1:00 PM] The Lady - PoultryGeist: The Lady leans against an open window frame, the breeze blowing Her hair in artful patterns. "The Three have borrowed such that is not theirs. The Pale Witch approached them years past about restitution, but they turned Her away. Laughing." Her face darkens for a moment, but the predatory smile quickly returns. "But one does not reject The Queen of Divas. You are polite and helpful and oh so thankful that She has graced you with Her presence."
[1:35 PM] Mikhail (Flamander): Mikhail came up to behind Cyrtakos and The Lady - his smaller frame meant that he couldn't see past either's shoulders. He thought over the decision, considering his comrades' opinions on the matter. "Wadun..." Right, the wizard city. Wadun. A wide toothy grin came across his face. "Wadun looks like a good idea to me!" He didn't have much more to say than that. He was born to a small village, and so, magic interested him. "Although, maybe, we could see Hilinde later on?" In fact, many things in the world interested him. That was the reason he was on this journey - so that he could see what the world had to offer.(edited)
[2:09 PM] Cyrtakos (nil): Cyrtakos leans forward, elbows on the table, his large frame seemingly threatening to crush the table. He considers The Lady's words for several moments before he speaks. "We come to rulers of Wadun with one hand requesting aid in decyphering message..." He lays down one arm, unfolding his hand. "...and other demanding old debts paid." The orc demonstrates with his other arm. "More urgent need of knowledge contained in note may demand that debt stays uncollected for a while longer. In truth, such may be offer made to ensure aid." He once again withdraws his hands, staring at The Lady, as if intent to wait for as long as needed.

Then, Cyrtakos catches himself, and pulls himself up. He smiles at Mikhail. "Or perhaps no deals nor threats nor debts shall be necessary." He puts a large hand on Mikhail's shoulder, lightly. "Eyes not accustomed to see path forward along edge of blade or bonds of debts may be would have us stand in gain."
[2:31 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: Tavrin nods, "To Wadun it is." He pulls out a scroll, unfurling it upon a nearby table. "There are two ways to get there," he adds, pointing as he talks, "By land, through the Penca Forest and Hilinde, then crossing by ferry into Wadun Province. Of course, there's always a more direct path by sea - though strange stories are being told of monsters that arrive in deep fog. Penca has its own threats of course, and Hilinde is always a danger to visit, but I'm sure you would have no trouble." He looks up at @Cyrtakos (nil) expectantly.
[6:54 PM] The Lady - PoultryGeist: The Lady's face goes as blank as a porcelain doll's for a moment, then She bows deeply before Cyrtakos in a florid but sincere style. "Perhaps debts are just more chains that need to be broken. I shall be guided by your expertise in these matters, My companions."
July 1, 2017
[5:07 AM] Cyrtakos (nil): Cyrtakos holds up a hand for Tavrin so that he might wait for the orc's response, for right now he is considering The Lady's words. In truth, he finds it hard to tell his companions' true feelings, her face so often akin to the smooth marble statues in the Wolves' fine houses. Finally, he speaks. "My words were not meant as command, but counsel. I do not wish to deny you debt without knowing its true nature." A pause and a small nod. "We shall break further words on road, if such is desire."

And with this, he turns back to their newest companion, the Guard-Captain of Oria, all of them huddled over the map. "Path by water may be swifter, but if dock-worker carrying note truly was traitor, there may yet be others. If we leave by ship, news of our destination and intent may reach unwanted ears." He runs his finger over the map, tracing the overland route outlined by Tavrin. "Small band may far easier avoid notice on land, able to avoid eyes of many." In the background, Lubo hears these words, for a moment stops draining his tankard and nods seriously - then belches and continues drinking. Cyrtakos folds together his hands. "We shall keep eyes open. Enemy still lurks in shadow, not yet striking openly. We may see signs of such in our travels, that would have stayed hidden to eyes far out on water."(edited)
[6:19 AM] Mikhail (Flamander): Mikhail nodded in agreement, listening to Cyrtakos. Travel to both Hilinde and Wadun by Penca Forest and ferry, respectively... he had to admit, there would be the same problem of a lack of stealth as with the ship route, sure, but at least it wouldn't be as long. "That seems like a good enough plan to me."(edited)
July 3, 2017

Scene 2.5 - The Journey to Hilinde

[7:24 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: Minds set, the group packs quickly and departs after a quick word with the Rangers (please describe this conversation if you'd like, they have little to add but promise support to your plans).
[7:29 PM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: Now, take turns describing a problem on the road. The order is @Cyrtakos (nil) , @Mikhail (Flamander) , then @The Lady - PoultryGeist . First person describes a problem the group runs into. Then the next person both says how that problem is solved, and describes another problem. The round ends when the first person solves the last person's problem. Things can be combat on them road (bandits, wolves), a night spent in an unwelcome inn (actually vampires), whatever you want. Just nothing that bogs down the flow. No need for rolls. Once done, we'll get into Hilinde.(edited)
July 4, 2017
[12:38 PM] Cyrtakos (nil): Before leaving Orialand for Wadun, the fellowship was once more joined by Kaen Arnstead, the old ranger that first brought them together here. He and Cyrtakos shared words in a quiet corner, as promised. The orc spoke of still-sharp minds of veteran warriors whose body no longer had the strength of youth, of equally still-sharp weapons which now lacked hands to wield them - how both could be put to purpose. How soon, there would be new hands, eager but untrained, who would need training and equipment - for it was good to fight for freedom, but better still to fight and be victorious.
[12:38 PM] Cyrtakos (nil): The fellowship made for first Hilinde early in the morning, still a good bit of night’s darkness over the now quiet city of Oria. Soon, the sound of the boats and ships in the city’s harbor made way for only the wind from the sea, the lapping of the waves and the cries of the birds. As they headed further inland, the smell of the sea stayed with them the longest, but soon the small band walked across gentle green hills, the road flanked by rows and rows of olive trees, giving some much needed shade.

They came upon a forest - not particularly wild, but relatively well-travelled and sunny - until finally, deeper in the forest, there was a ravine with a river in it, a single bridge crossing it. And on the bridge stood two colourfully dressed people, a man and a woman, at the head of two equally colourful carts, arguing fiercely, heedless of the fact that they were blocking the bridge entirely.
[12:38 PM] Cyrtakos (nil): “Well, I’m sure your artless displays are all very well and good for some equally artless country bumpkin, although, I say, even they would still be bored what you have to offer.” The man crossed his arms and threw back his head. “Maybe you could entertain their children!”

“Oh, as if any children - anyone! - would want to watch your ‘plays’!” The woman shouted, shaking her head. “Maybe to put the children to sleep! As if you know anything about ‘entertainment’.”

“I seek to educate and excite the mind! That’s what art should do!” The man retorts, pointing his finger at the woman.

The woman rolls her eyes. “I’m sure that if you had even a little panache, something exciting in your play, I’m sure they’d stay awake long enough for you to educate.” She grins - and pulls a coin from behind the man’s ear. “Me, I say they need some fun and laughter first, forget about their troubles for a bit.”
[12:38 PM] Cyrtakos (nil): “Now listen here, ‘forgetting about their troubles’ is precisely what they shouldn’t be doing, they should look in the mirror I hold up to them and thus improve their situation, besides, you-” He now has his finger raised, like a teacher - when suddenly, he notices the fellowship approaching, or, in particular, Mikail.

“Oh, hello, young man.” The man says, apparently not having expected being interrupted.”
“An audience!” The woman smiles broadly, giving a trained bow without any hesitation. Then she leans back, rubbing her chin, exaggeratedly, thinking. “And the audience is what this is all about, isn’t it?”

“You are proposing we let him decide, then?” He raises an eyebrow at Mikhail. “He seems like a bright young man, I am sure he sees the value of not merely being entertained but actually being allowed to think.” He rolls his eyes at the woman and speaks, sarcastically. “Perish the thought.”

“No, no, no, this young man knows that if you cannot have some fun and joy in this life, well…” The woman winks at Mikhail, nodding her head at the man. “...you’ll end up without any joy and fun in your heart as well.” She shudders.

“So, young man…” The man says. “...what do you say?” The woman finishes.
[3:18 PM] Mikhail (Flamander): Mikhail was confused. From what it seemed, they each had their problems. The man's entertainment was boring. The woman's entertainment was mindless. However, there was a way this could be remedied. It was like a meal! "Well... why don't you just combine your talents together?" He asked. The woman could brighten up the man's plays - while the man gave the woman's tricks an underlying lesson.

The man and the woman questioned him. "What do you mean?" The man complained - "It's not as if we could just... make some artform out of nowhere!" Mikhail smiled. "Well, it's simple. You -" he pointed to the woman. "add your artistic expertise to his -" he pointed to the man. "skill as a playwright. Two heads are better than one, right?" And this way - they would both be able to do what they wanted!

Realization dawned upon the duo as they looked at each other, before turning back to Mikhail. "I see, I see! Well done, young man." The woman applauded. "Yes, well done." The thankful man said. Mikhail asked a question. "Excuse me, but can my group and I please pass?" The woman replied cheerfully. "Well, as you helped us... I don't see why not!" The man bowed rigidly, while the woman posed with a flourish - before walking to the end of the bridge.
[3:18 PM] Mikhail (Flamander): The olive trees that the fellowship walked through faded away on the group's path to Penca Forest. The wind blew, the grass swept and there was still a well-travelled path. The sun at this time was high up in the sky. The air smelt like wild flowers. Eventually, the path came to a crossroads - a point to make a decision. There were a few paths in different directions... but there were no possible way to tell where to go.

Upon further inspection, there was a strange gelatinous blobby creature who had fallen asleep in the sign's place. It was blue, with googly eyes and a long tongue. It murmurs... "tired.... sleepy.... must.... point.... mimic..... mimic.....wooooo..." Perhaps it was more exhaustion.

Mikhail stood back. "I've heard of these guys. Don't mimics typically haunt... ?" He left it unsaid, as he mulled over the reasons why this mimic would be outside its territory. The chef spoke up. "Maybe you can help this poor creature out, Lady? It might be able to help us with our directional troubles."
[6:37 PM] The Lady - PoultryGeist: The Lady looks at Mikhail questioningly, clearly not having been paying attention. As Her gaze follows the Boy’s indication, Her face is transfigured by a smile of pure joy. Emitting a high-pitched keening noise, She runs towards the creature and tackles it. Before Cyrtakos or Mikhail can react She rolls back to Her knees, cradling the creature happily and giggling.

Murk clears his throat softly, and offers the pair some tea. “Please forgive the Mistress, She becomes… distracted by creatures She finds cute. Your pardon, but She will be able to continue soon.” The valet sets up a small table with small sandwiches and biscuits, and refreshes the tea. At the crossroads The Lady coos at the gelatinous mimic, and asks it ‘Who’s a Good Boy’ in more languages than exist.

As Murk is tidying up the remnants of the tea The Lady runs up, hair hidden in a straw hat and Her overalls dirt- and slime-streaked. She takes the scraps Murk offers Her and runs back to the blob. Holding out the treats, She tosses them one-by-one to the mimic as it shapes itself into an elaborate signpost.

“Glorpbork is such a sweetie.” The Lady’s voice comes from behind the pair, suddenly there instead of at the crossroads. “He’s agreed to show us the way to Hilinde, and not to the bandit ambush waiting on the other path. What a good boy.”
[6:52 PM] The Lady - PoultryGeist: The crossroads in the past, good time was made traveling. The road left the forest and wound its way across the sea-side cliffs. The view is quite breathtaking, that is until the Fellowship comes around the bend to find the cliff-face collapsed and haven taken the road with it. The gap is sizable, at least several cart-lengths long. The new rock face is smooth to the touch, almost too smooth for a natural fracture. The Lady looks down the hole, and yawns at the jagged rocks laying a hundred feet below. She motions to Cyrtakos, indicating he should fix this.
July 5, 2017
[10:28 AM] Cyrtakos (nil): Cyrtakos’ face darkens for but a moment, grows cold, at The Lady motioning for him to attend to the task at hand. Memories of men and women not knowing anything but having their commands obeyed, paying the ones that were to do so less attention than the furniture in their extravagant villas - obedient hands as much an expected fact as the sun rising in the morning.

The orc shakes it off and reminds himself that The Lady has not shown anything akin to this, that is far likely that The Lady is simply… odd. The encounter with the creature on the road and the explosion of affection and enthusiasm by the Lady only being the latest occurrence today to prove this right. Such thoughts, however, would need to wait for another time.

Cyrtakos gives the briefest of looks to Lubo, and his brother-in-arms seems to understand without words, trotting over to the larger orc and solemnly inspecting the ruined seaside cliff road and the rock face above. The two of them exchange words, and for once it is Lubo doing most of the talking, gesticulating, mimicking mighty throws and the tying of ropes. Their conversation comes to an end, and it is Cyrtakos who gives the final command.
[10:28 AM] Cyrtakos (nil): Lubo recruits Mikhail in constructing a stronger rope by braiding the rope the fellowship has together while Cyrtakos puts down his patchwork armor, revealing a scarred upper body, the back marked by the unmistakable cuts of the whip and, curiously, the inside of his forearm scarred by a brand - a simple letter, ‘B’. So unburdened, the large orc goes on to fashion small dagger-like spikes from the remains he still carried of Oria’s market and finally, lets the other secure the stronger rope around his chest.

And thus he climbs up the rock face, sweat on his bare skin, grasping for any purchase that can be found, driving the crude metal spikes into any fracture available and securing his rope, bit by bit. It is slow going, an hour passing, then another - Cyrtakos clearly not in his element, but undeterred. Only a few meters away from the cliff’s edge, his grasp slips, and the large body falls, his weight ripping out spike after spike, falling - but eventually, he stops, the force of the fall spent. A good third of the gains wasted, the orc nevertheless does not even say anything and simply once again sets to conquering the rock face.

A good bit of time passes, but eventually, he drags himself over the cliff’s edge, without further incident. From there, things proceed quickly, compared to the hours of waiting before. Cyrtakos throws down the strong rope, now tied to a sturdy tree far above and the orc himself holding the rope between strong hands. Lubo, down below, ties a harness made out of rope to the larger rope as well as even further ropes, meant to pull the contraption back and forth between the two safe pieces of road.
[10:28 AM] Cyrtakos (nil): All members of the fellowship - Lubo last - thus make it across the gap, as if in a large swing. Cyrtakos waves and shouts for them to continue without him for now, that he will join them somewhere further down the road where it is easier to descend. Now alone on the cliff, drawing up the rope, the sea’s wind pushing against his skin, feeling his muscles, he thinks that it not so bad to walk a while alone. To think, perhaps, and then rejoin those that follow the same path as he once again, with satisfaction.
[10:51 AM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: The sudden weight of the room was stifling, silencing its inhabitants. His voice, muffled and creaking, was still enough to strike fear in the hearts of the three others. "You'll welcome them... of course," he said, "And give them as much accommodation as you are able."
[10:52 AM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: The eldest protested, "But... they are our enemies!"
[10:53 AM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: The sudden pressure rose intensely, silencing the rest of his rebuttal, "Yes, they are. And we can't have them leaving the path we've laid out now, can we?"
[10:54 AM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: An invisible word, a sudden movement, and the eldest's tongue is suddenly missing, a bloody stump in its place. The other two gasp, struggling not to scream.
[10:55 AM] Valion-Frgrbrgr: "Now..." the man continues, "Let's talk about your specific roles....."

• Locked thread