Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twoday

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
aw nuts, I got outbid on the mic. should I just order one on Aliexpress?

and what have we decided? threatening letters?

DISCLAIMER: THIS POST DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE
The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained within this post are for informational purposes only. No material in this post is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read in this post or the replies to this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday

so you want me to read it in Dutch or English

The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained within this post are for informational purposes only. No material in this post is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read in this post or the replies to this post.

Fuck My Ass

twoday posted:

English in your best Morgan freeman voice for epic win

Thank you, very nice I like. For the insanely win sig.

cda

by Hand Knit

twoday posted:

yes

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Carbon dioxide

twoday posted:

both.

fake edit: holy crap how did I end up in byob?

Elusif

Keep that carbon cruisin'

FluffieDuckie

Carbon dioxide posted:

both.

fake edit: holy crap how did I end up in byob?

welcome!

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

twoday

Carbon dioxide posted:

holy crap how did I end up in byob?

:agreed:

Ok, so I got way outbid on the mic, I am currently twijfeling about whether I should order a cheap mic or aliexpress or just dig around in the shady 2nd shops in the warehouses in the part of amsterdam where stolen cars go to be disassembled and sold for parts

twoday

In any case, it's Wednesday, so I have recorded 2 dramatic readings of letters on my phone, and for extra fun, I decided to play ominous banjo music in the background as I read them.

The first letter was sent from Connecticut once they heard that the Dutch had invaded New York:

They sent two guys to New Orange (formerly known as New York), and this is the letter that the Dutch gave them in reply.

There is an odd discrepancy in the dates, because the Dutch had already started using the Gregorian calendar but the English were still using the Julian calendar.

So the English received the Dutch letter on the 15th of August (according to their calendar) yet it was dated August 24th. So I guess the Dutch letter can be summarized as "We come from the future and we have been sent here to destroy you."

SniperWoreConverse

twoday posted:

Yeah, that's right. The city was New York. I could summarize it but I would find it more fun to see if you guys can collectively piece it together from memory, or only answer questions, like a troll under a bridge but the other way around

how do bridge trolls work
how are they formed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

cda

by Hand Knit

twoday posted:

twijfeling

I want to start using this word but first I need to know what it means

----------------

twoday

it means being on the fence about something,

read out "twaifeling" in English and you got it. it's one of the Dutch words that I use in english because there is no good English equivalent

Carbon dioxide

cda posted:

I want to start using this word but first I need to know what it means

The dictionary translation is "being in doubt". Twijfel = doubt.

cda

by Hand Knit

Carbon dioxide posted:

Is this where "waffling," to mean vacillating between alternatives, comes from?

----------------

alnilam

cda posted:

Is this where "waffling," to mean vacillating between alternatives, comes from?

i think waffles are more of a belgian thing

Carbon dioxide

[Probably frequentative of obsolete waff, to yelp, probably of imitative origin.]

twoday

Carbon dioxide posted:

yeah but it has more nuance. it is having a doubt about choosing between certain things, the element of choice is essential. doubting is broader and vaguer

cda

by Hand Knit
waffling. It's waffling.

----------------

twoday

Yeah! I wouldn't be surprised if it has the same etymology. But I hate that word because it reminds me of politicians

Did any of you listen to my new tracks? Let's goldmine this poo poo

cda

by Hand Knit

twoday posted:

Yeah! I wouldn't be surprised if it has the same etymology. But I hate that word because it reminds me of politicians

Did any of you listen to my new tracks? Let's goldmine this poo poo

I'm at work. I have to wait until I'm not at work.

----------------

twoday

Funish fact: The English word "boss" entered the English language in New York, and comes from the Dutch "baas" meaning 'master'.

Because the Dutch were still often in charge of poo poo in New York and the newcomer Englishmen were their bitches

twoday

fresh beats, Colve-style

I will never reveal the Zeeland secret

twoday fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 5, 2017

alnilam

twoday posted:

In any case, it's Wednesday, so I have recorded 2 dramatic readings of letters on my phone, and for extra fun, I decided to play ominous banjo music in the background as I read them.

The first letter was sent from Connecticut once they heard that the Dutch had invaded New York:

They sent two guys to New Orange (formerly known as New York), and this is the letter that the Dutch gave them in reply.

There is an odd discrepancy in the dates, because the Dutch had already started using the Gregorian calendar but the English were still using the Julian calendar.

So the English received the Dutch letter on the 15th of August (according to their calendar) yet it was dated August 24th. So I guess the Dutch letter can be summarized as "We come from the future and we have been sent here to destroy you."

i just finally got to listen to these lol they're good ty, colve is one crazy fuckaer

ty manifisto

twoday

here's a repost from the dutch thread, translated. I found this weirdly named recipe and decided to try it out

Sunday Baking with Twoday

Whore cookies! Just like your mother bakes.

I found this recipe in "De Volmaakte Hollandse Keuken Meid" from 1751. Here you see the whores busy baking:

quote:

Add to half a pound of flour as many raisins as you find appropriate, not too few

I find exactly this number of raisins appropriate.

quote:

...some almonds, sweetmeats

I use roasted almonds because that sounds old-timey. And sweetmeats were on sale at the supermarket.

quote:

...yeast, cinnamon, nutmeg, cream and an extremely large amount of butter
:

I don't usually bake so I don't know if this is a lot

I added some water and sugar

quote:

It must rise for a lengthy period

6 hours later:

quote:

from which one bakes small cookies in a cake pan

Ok

quote:

...with a bit of fire from beneath and much fire from above

How the gently caress is that even possible?! I don't understand the physics of this. how would you do this in a fireplace, fire can't levitate

I just threw them in the oven

quote:

...and sprinkled with sugar

They were soft and chewy on the inside, and crispy on the outside. Kind of like a scone but without the horrible flavor. They tasted really old-fashioned, with the strange mix of spices and the nuts and raisins. They remind me of elderly women. I don't understand why they are named this way. I think it is because they are a local specialty of Amsterdam, and Amsterdam has always been famous for being full of whores.

Don't forget to share your whore cookies with your possum:

twoday fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 11, 2017

alnilam

lol the old timey dutch are so weird

twoday

Dutch women used to sit with their feet on these little metal boxes that were filled with hot coals and would warm them up under their dresses in the winter.

The English used to claim (in the time of witch trials) that the soot and smoke would get into their vaginas and turn into a sort of demon and therefore it was normal for Dutch women to occasionally expel miscarriage demon fetuses made of brimstone and hellfire. Having closely examined the vaginas of several Dutch women, I can confirm that this is true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

twoday posted:

Dutch women used to sit with their feet on these little metal boxes that were filled with hot coals and would warm them up under their dresses in the winter.

The English used to claim (in the time of witch trials) that the soot and smoke would get into their vaginas and turn into a sort of demon and therefore it was normal for Dutch women to occasionally expel miscarriage demon fetuses made of brimstone and hellfire. Having closely examined the vaginas of several Dutch women, I can confirm that this is true

Goddamn immigrants examining our women

• Locked thread