Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

If there is one thing that confused me it was when Calvin first got hostile and everyone was freaking out like "get him out of there!!" and I was just sitting there going "what the gently caress is wrong with you people? were you not briefed on quarantine procedures or some poo poo?"

To this day the only story I can think of that actually deals with stuff like that in a more "realistic" way is The Andromeda Strain, where they actually explain the Fifth Man protocol they are operating under. I understand that in times of high stress and life or death situations people do stupid poo poo but I was absolutely amazed at the lack of protocol, this isn't loving Star Trek you have to be pretty mentally tough to go on space missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
What bugged me is that just grabbing the unconscious astronaut, reeling him out & locking the lab down while the rat was being digested would have stopped things. No need to try to kill Calvin directly.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

God Hole posted:

Why exactly did Calvin deliberately exit the space station during the coolant drowning scene, though? It's illustrated that while he's resilient, he still needs air to live, so purposefully exiting the station into the vacuum of space to kill one person seems like idiotic behavior for a creature characterized as otherwise intelligent and motivated by survival.

Cal is intelligent, but not educated. He has no idea that space is a vacuum until he experiences it firsthand.

Also, whatever air there was inside the coolant tank escaped when it was opened. Cal latched onto the astronaut specifically because he was experiencing suffocation for the first time.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Okay movie, fantastic soundtrack.

I did think it was pretty goddamn stupid of them to make plans and such without filling in the Japanese character. Like, try and contact him? See what's up? Fill him in on stuff so he won't do something terribly rash?

Also, while it was a gorgeous movie to look at, I wish they'd gone all the way with the Gravity-esthetics and done the same sound-design. Hearing sounds in space post-Gravity in movies that intentionally want to look realistic rubs me the wrong way.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Apr 10, 2017

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

dont even fink about it posted:

Calvin could even have the capacity for benevolence, or at least a sense of humor; he lets Jake Gyllenhaal live, after all, and that probably has a lot to do with Calvin understanding that Jake needs to go home.

Haha, I didn't pick up on this in the slightest, thats kinda twisted.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Macarius Wrench posted:

LOL if you think Jake Gyllenhaal's character survived a second longer than it took for Calvin to spring his ambush on the people that opened the hatch.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

dont even fink about it posted:

Calvin could even have the capacity for benevolence, or at least a sense of humor; he lets Jake Gyllenhaal live, after all, and that probably has a lot to do with Calvin understanding that Jake needs to go home.

Macarius Wrench posted:

biracial bear for uncut posted:

LOL if you think Jake Gyllenhaal's character survived a second longer than it took for Calvin to spring his ambush on the people that opened the hatch.

I thought it was wrestling with Jake in the pod, but became more concerned with the turbulent ride of the pod. When you see Jake in the pod after landing Calvin apparently decided to evolve in a few minutes into the same crap covering the city in the Super Mario Bros movie and spread himself around to brace himself.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I don't know that Calvin is all that big of a problem in an environment with gravity.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BigglesSWE posted:

I did think it was pretty goddamn stupid of them to make plans and such without filling in the Japanese character. Like, try and contact him? See what's up? Fill him in on stuff so he won't do something terribly rash?

Yeah, it was another case of the characters behaving inconsistently for the sake of moving the plot forwards. If he hadn't that would have been the end of the movie. If we're going to make comparison's then something that Alien had up on this movie is that the writers didn't keep writing themselves into dead-ends that they had to find increasingly implausible solutions too.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Zeris posted:

Yeah, same here. It was really exciting at first to imagine what it might become next, and like 2/3 of the way through when I realized that thread wouldn't develop any further, it felt really disappointing.

Cacator posted:

The way he slowly gets more uncomfortable and takes his earpiece off before he starts coughing up blood was pretty effective I thought. But otherwise aside from the broken hand it was clearly lacking in the body horror, luckily I am watching The Void tonight which should make up for it.

Oh the death was horrible, I was just expecting something to happen after he stopped moving. And then it didn't so I was a little sad. All the talk of his cells doing everything had me going 'and reproducing?' but then they struggled with one of him so multiples would've been game over pretty quickly.

Metrofreak
Mar 17, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wait wait wait, people are liking the ending? I was loving it until they pulled a shell game. There's no reason for Miranda to go hurtling into space.

I felt like the director was giving me the finger.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Metrofreak posted:

Wait wait wait, people are liking the ending? I was loving it until they pulled a shell game. There's no reason for Miranda to go hurtling into space.

But but bu-~ Twists?!!

Yeah there was a lot of laughing going on in the theater at that twist.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I liked it purely because it's not a Hollywood ending.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Metrofreak posted:

You pretty clearly see the control system malfunction, reboot and kick over into manual controls while Miranda is freaking out, so there is a reason.

The characters just picked the wrong capsules.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I liked it purely because it's not a Hollywood ending.

It's how every Hollywood horror movie ends so only in the most technical sense

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

DeimosRising posted:

It's how every Hollywood horror movie ends so only in the most technical sense

I've barely watched any horror films, but I was under the impression that most of them ended with "and so the evil monster was defeated... OR WAS IT? *cue hand rising from the grave before cutting to credits*", as opposed to "and so the evil monster completely unambiguously emerged victorious and destroyed all life on earth, converting the planet into an alien colony it would go on to reign over for hundreds of millions of years", which is how this one ended.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Izzhov posted:

I've barely watched any horror films, but I was under the impression that most of them ended with "and so the evil monster was defeated... OR WAS IT? *cue hand rising from the grave before cutting to credits*", as opposed to "and so the evil monster completely unambiguously emerged victorious and destroyed all life on earth, converting the planet into an alien colony it would go on to reign over for hundreds of millions of years", which is how this one ended.

I don't remember seeing it in the movie but one of the trailers had the crippled doctor speculating that Calvin's kind wiped out life on Mars and then went dormant, so if that's the case I think Calvin's more into rampant consumerism for the sake of annihilation.

Does Calvin have a limit at how big he gets? It looked like he started as a dormant spore/single cell so I'm guessing he replicates via apomixis or something.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

God Hole posted:

I don't remember seeing it in the movie but one of the trailers had the crippled doctor speculating that Calvin's kind wiped out life on Mars and then went dormant, so if that's the case I think Calvin's more into rampant consumerism for the sake of annihilation.

Does Calvin have a limit at how big he gets? It looked like he started as a dormant spore/single cell so I'm guessing he replicates via apomixis or something.

Calvin is a union of independently-viable single-celled organisms. His kind never needed to evolve specialized cells to be a true multicellular organism because all of his cells can do it all, which implies each one can reproduce independently. As something more like a grex than an animal, he might disincorporate once he's in a more friendly environment. It's possible that's what we're seeing in the pod after it lands.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

God Hole posted:

I distinctly remember a line in the movie that was something like, "these things could have dominated Mars for a hundred million years!"

Metrofreak
Mar 17, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER

You pretty clearly see the control system malfunction, reboot and kick over into manual controls while Miranda is freaking out, so there is a reason.

The characters just picked the wrong capsules.

Do you really? Cause I don't recall that at all. I recall David flipping a buncha stuff to manual, and the projected trajectory altering from a tangential descent into 'lol up'
Meanwhile, Miranda's just punching buttons and not touching the stick, and her projected flight sim path is still a nice downwards arc. She's recording a message for the black box 'in case I die on re-entry', and they've established that without human input, auto-pilot will take you down to earth. So I have no reason to expect her to gently caress with the auto pilot.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

while all true I can't remember if they show distinctly if it is her pod or David's that collides with the debris. I kinda figured it was hers since when the reveal occurs and we cut back to her just spinning into the aether and it shows a system malfunction that even if she switched to manual to attempt to steer herself back to a landing trajectory without a guidance system she has no loving clue how to know if she's going in the proper direction.

Of course the score also helped sell the switch so it worked for me :shrug:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Metrofreak posted:

Do you really? Cause I don't recall that at all. I recall David flipping a buncha stuff to manual, and the projected trajectory altering from a tangential descent into 'lol up'
Meanwhile, Miranda's just punching buttons and not touching the stick, and her projected flight sim path is still a nice downwards arc. She's recording a message for the black box 'in case I die on re-entry', and they've established that without human input, auto-pilot will take you down to earth. So I have no reason to expect her to gently caress with the auto pilot.

One of the pods get hit by debris and hosed up and the ending makes it retrospectively clear it's Miranda's.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Calvin is a union of independently-viable single-celled organisms. His kind never needed to evolve specialized cells to be a true multicellular organism because all of his cells can do it all, which implies each one can reproduce independently. As something more like a grex than an animal, he might disincorporate once he's in a more friendly environment. It's possible that's what we're seeing in the pod after it lands.

By the time Calvin's 'mature' he seems to have developed differentiated organs of some sort — eyes, limbs, maybe internal structures. His volume is going to grow much faster than his surface area and eventually he'll need systems to take in oxygen, pump it, and get rid of the waste.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
If they make a sequel it better loving be called Life On Earth

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

General Battuta posted:

If they make a sequel it better loving be called Life On Earth

Or Venom.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Was this the movie people speculated was a backdoor Venom movie or that Life was a fake title ala Blue Harvest

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Metrofreak posted:

She got in there by mistake. Calvin was meant to get into that and spend the rest of his life on that one-man prison vessel, posing no further threat to children on Earth. It was the one thing they didn't want to happen.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Finally saw this and liked it a lot. Nice little realistic-style space horror.

Only grief was the biologist guy who immediately thinks unknown alien lifeforms are house pets. I couldn't believe they were poking at it with the only thing between it and his hand being a thick rubber glove. And then when he has the bright idea to electrocute it, I was pretty much just loling. Also the astronauts that don't understand quarantine. Great sciencing, guys.

Enjoyable movie, though, would love to see a sequel.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Is this movie about knockin boots in a space suit?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Is this movie about knockin boots in a space suit?

Nope. It's about a space monster crawling down your throat and scooping your insides out and eating them.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
So is this movie better than the new Alien?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Monglo posted:

So is this movie better than the new Alien?

No, it's pretty good, but it's not that good.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Dan Didio posted:

She got in there by mistake. Calvin was meant to get into that and spend the rest of his life on that one-man prison vessel, posing no further threat to children on Earth. It was the one thing they didn't want to happen.

Except, she waited until David was already in his own pod with Cal as planned. It's not like she accidentally stole his ride or anything. He was already on his way out from the station before she got her pod powered up. The whole thing went off pretty much without a hitch until Cal took the controls and the debris messed with her trajectory.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Seems pretty obvious to me that this movie came about because the writer came up with the twist first. Reminded me of Pandorum in that way. Overall a pretty mediocre movie, decent effects and kind of a novel idea for an alien but this isn't something I'll be remembering a few months from now.

Also did I spot a plot hole or after they trap Calvin in the airlock with the corpse of paralyzed science man they start venting oxygen out of that area to kill Calvin, then Sanada's character comes out of his little sleep pod thing and just casually opens the hatch to the airlock where Calvin is and.. nothing happens? Did they stop venting the O2 or what?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The twist was dumb and convenient.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The creature is called Calvin in reference to Calvinism because the humans are predestined to gently caress up whatever they try.

Alternatively, in the sequel, the creature evolves enough intelligence to realise that rampant growth is unsustainable, and decides to learn to communicate and teaches all the humans important lessons about caring for the environment.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 20, 2017

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I like the monster a lot but I wish it hadn't grown a face and visible symmetry, it was terrifying as a mass of undifferentiated limbs.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Finally got a chance to see this, and it felt pretty by the numbers, it was still a fun little time-waster.

A few things were 'stupid convenient' heavily to like, give Calvin a mulligan, like the quarantine officer being the only one that knew Soyuz was failsafe 3 (to be fair, I don't know anything about space quarantine protocol but 'if all else fails, Soyuz will push us out of orbit' seems like something the whole crew would briefed on)

My one question, and maybe I got distracted, but when Hugh went into cardiac arrest and they realized Calvin had been noshing on his leg, was that like a Calvin #2 that had divided off the 'main' organism and had been feeding off of him since it first broke out of containment?

My main gripe was that none of the characters really felt all that fleshed out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I had fun watching this movie, but yea it's not going to be memorable in the end because none of the characters stand out. I suppose Gyllenhall and Reynolds worked against it in the sense that they just kinda feel like Jake Gyllenhall and Ryan Reynolds on a space ship and they aren't really differentiated in any meaningful way.

Still, there are some very, very tense scenes and the monster is very well done. Definitely worth the $5 rental just for some disposable entertainment. Plus the Re-animator shout out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That was the best episode of The Twilight Zone/ Outer Limits I've ever watched

Also if it somehow turns out to be a Venom prequel origin story than I will laugh and congratulate them for tricking me into watching a comicbook movie

• Locked thread