Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilcrusher2
Jan 17, 2012

I was way off. Turns out Alien vs Predator isn't about an illegal immigrant fighting a child molester.
I first posted this in GBS - bad late night idea.

I currently work as a volunteer with KTSW 89.9 FM, the college radio station at Texas State University. During this current semester I am a program producer for a show I created titled "Ranch It Up".

The show is a 2 hr new wave block played Fri from 12-2pm CST, and has the following description:

quote:

"This eclectic duo strive to bring you a mix of left-field comedy and several decades worth of new wave music. Insight and information about artist and band history, albums, show dates, genres and other fun facts. Common genres include New wave, Post-punk, Synthpop, Electroclash, indie dance, Futurepop, Chillwave, vaporwave and retrowave"

Here are the first 6 week's playlists on Spotify.

So what does this have to do with SomethingAwful.com?

quote:

I would like to create a new show for the fall semester and need ideas. The current show will not be continuing after this semester. It's just become a bit difficult to get ahold of music that the station can play due to some rules at the station and the station's format. With that in mind, I figured it might be fun to get the GBS crew involved, and make something that winds up being radio on another level.

Why is this difficult? Well it deals with the rules.

quote:

• Obviously because this is an FM station and not a online only stream, the music can have zero cursing when played. The occasional swear word is okay because it can be edited out in Adobe Audition. But if a song has frequent swearing, it will be over edited and undesirable to listen to on radio
  • The standard station format is indie rock, indie music. Think jangle pop/rock, post garage rock revival, light hip hop, and light electro-clash. Specialty shows don't have to be that exactly, but the station doesn't want things that are way off from that. It can happen but it will take place late at night. Want a list of what the station plays? Look at this recently played list.
  • As well with the station format, the station does not desire to play artists that are well known or get commercial radio play. The concept is to draw attention to new and upcoming artists that would have no shot of getting played on a commercial station as they are just starting out. As well, established artists do not need the help of a college station to get their music played. This will start being heavily enforced after my show, due to my show following set of rules that were similar but laid out as "No FM staples, No Hits, No major US singles." Somebody got upset that my show was drawing a lot of attention to it when they couldn't get that attention, and others found it unfair that a newcomer was bringing in an audience when they can't.
  • As stated in the previous bullet - No FM Staples, no hit U.S. singles, no singles from well known established artists.
  • Making fun of artists or talking negatively of artists is not allowed. I get around this when I talk about why a band is named what they are named, or why the genre is named as such. An example would be the Shoe-gaze genre. It is perfectly acceptable to say "I saw a band like them one time, and all they did was stare and put on a face that told me they would rather be eating dirt in the back alley." The humor here in he forums can work, it's just a matter of wording it in a way that isn't as obvious to the faculty or other students.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

stoner/doom metal, op. electric wizard, the sword, the melvins, asphyx, truckfighters, maybe some early non-radio-singles black sabbath tracks. sludge that poo poo up. if shoegaze flies then you can probably make some of this work, especially electric wizard

This was the first show we pitched. It was exactly this and we called it "Oven Baked". Got denied because of tracks like Sabbath's Sweet Leaf. Basically mgmt waited until I proposed the show to say "Oh, you can't play anything with references to or implies drug use and you can't play any classic rock.

extra stout posted:

i read your post and it still does not seem clear: are you asking us to link you loads of youtube links to indie songs or are you offering GBS posters a way to host or cohost a slot on a show, using our microphones?

i have an SM57 and if you even so much as made me think about hooking it back up but don't actually plan to invite me on the radio, i will post pictures of women with huge butts in your thread and no one will ever do your homework for you

I have a google voice number to have people call and i can record from there to do skits, there is a phone in the recording studio to record calls, as well, I would have zero problem with GBS recording skits to play on air. But think g-rated filth. I would like to try to find a way for the posters here in the forums to actually be heard on the show, or even sponsor it if they have an online business or whatnot. Not looking for pay but for listeners and feedback to the station.

Any ideas for music or even a show name? If this works horrendously well, we could possibly see this go beyond the 5 month mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
As a fellow Bobcat, I'm here to help. You know what genre gets no play? Cowpunk. The blend of punk rock and outlaw country is rejected by both the punk rockers and the shitkickers, which is why neither claim it on their stations. If your station don't play Mojo Nixon, then it could use some fixin'.

evilcrusher2
Jan 17, 2012

I was way off. Turns out Alien vs Predator isn't about an illegal immigrant fighting a child molester.

all-Rush mixtape posted:

If your station don't play Mojo Nixon, then it could use some fixin'.

I was actually thinking about trying to fit him in this semester as being a style of post punk. Even thought of a show based around music like Primus - Wynona's Big Brown Beaver

It would have to be that, because straight up country isn't allowed.

• Locked thread