Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
so what was the reason for the fix to being able to interact with floors under doors via shift alt clicking?? i feel personally attacked as a hobbyist staff assistant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Booty Pageant posted:

so what was the reason for the fix to being able to interact with floors under doors via shift alt clicking?? i feel personally attacked as a hobbyist staff assistant

Iirc that's from a fix with dragging guard buddies to get AA

Also, there's a traitor fishing pole that can snag people.

I haven't been around because I've been sucked into Colonial Marines, it ain't half bad

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Opening doors with the little station bots was a big part of it.

I personally think the "Securitrons can't be dragged" change is dumb, especially because you can easily put them in a crate/closet and they're freely movable then.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Zamujasa posted:

not with a chromebook, outside of maybe some sort of virtual machine setup (which i assume a chromebook would be quite, uh, bad at)

you need a windows machine of some variety.

Aww beans

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

Opening doors with the little station bots was a big part of it.

I personally think the "Securitrons can't be dragged" change is dumb, especially because you can easily put them in a crate/closet and they're freely movable then.

They can't be pushed into the doors like that though, right?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
no, you can no longer use the little robots to open doors for you by pushing/dragging. they can still open doors on their own.

it effectively gave anyone full all-access without leaving fingerprints anywhere because you never interacted with the door or anything around it, which... wasn't good!

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I've watched folx play the game for years and even tried once long ago. I never really did anything more than clip any wires I could attain access to and/or dying for an unknown reason

I have a lovely Chromebook but would love to try again.

Is there a way I can participate?

I had a lovely chromebook that ran Byond a few years ago, but I had installed Linux on it and then used Wine, a software that lets you run Windows applications on Linux.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

no, you can no longer use the little robots to open doors for you by pushing/dragging. they can still open doors on their own.

it effectively gave anyone full all-access without leaving fingerprints anywhere because you never interacted with the door or anything around it, which... wasn't good!

outside of me i don't think i ever really saw anyone else actually do it cause first you gotta stop em moving

you could turn off the buddies but i hugged marty to the point he's stuck trying to hug back, and then he'd open any door for me. you see i don't think it was an exploit but more neglect, all you had to do was befriend a guard buddy. so who's fault was it REALLY hmm???

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
I did every once in a while

The real pro strat was to find an afk Borg or one that hadn't round-joined yet and shove them into doors

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I had a lovely chromebook that ran Byond a few years ago, but I had installed Linux on it and then used Wine, a software that lets you run Windows applications on Linux.

this doesn't work any more because a bunch of poo poo in ss13 uses tgui, which requires ie >= 10. wine only supports 8.

the in-game chat also had a fatal bug where the filter highlights would crash the script on ie8, rendering chat invisible.

Booty Pageant posted:

outside of me i don't think i ever really saw anyone else actually do it cause first you gotta stop em moving

you could turn off the buddies but i hugged marty to the point he's stuck trying to hug back, and then he'd open any door for me. you see i don't think it was an exploit but more neglect, all you had to do was befriend a guard buddy. so who's fault was it REALLY hmm???

unrelated to your comment, some of the buddies are extremely clingy. i feel like some of their behavior has been broken for a while but it's hard to be sure.

the hard part about a game like this is that the code is always slowly rotting. not from the fault of anyone in particular, but as the engine advances and as subsystems are updated or overhauled, other things that were dependent on specific setups or flows stops working, and it often isn't caught or fixed until something much more obvious fails as a result of it (and even then, at that point the feature has been broken for so long the original operation may as well have been lost)

guardbuddies are a victim of that imo. a lot of changes to bot pathfinding and other "make the game performant" fixes gave them some weird quirks and bugs with pathfinding. someone was trying to reprogram them and they all ended up trying to dock in cog 1's tech storage dock, which was already occupied, instead of just going to an empty one. sometimes they'll fail to pathfind to the bar, too. that sorta poo poo.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

I run into stuff like that with the MULE too, the pathfinding is real fucky

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the mulebot was kind of funny because that one i actually looked into a long while ago

it was failing to pathfind because every time it tried, it ran into a solid obstacle: itself

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Zamujasa posted:

the mulebot was kind of funny because that one i actually looked into a long while ago

it was failing to pathfind because every time it tried, it ran into a solid obstacle: itself

Man, if that ain't some "you go deaf when invisible because the sounds can't see you" levels of bug. :allears:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
there have been a handful of fun bugs like that. a recent example is that we use boutput(target, message) to create a visible message in chat to someone. it was recently discovered that a handful of actions and objects would tell the object about it.

for example, outputting a chat message to a barricade letting it know it has been gently pat, but not the person doing it

Zamujasa fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 5, 2024

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
man been farting about on rp for the longer rounds and less need to be robust, i can't remember exactly how anal we had to be, but some fuckin kid ahelped my dumb name cause technically a biblical reference. thought it was cool having read this roger zelazny short story, like 10 years ago, and been farting about as judas ever since. is this what getting old is about???

clearly i should have a newbee tag

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Booty Pageant posted:

man been farting about on rp for the longer rounds and less need to be robust, i can't remember exactly how anal we had to be, but some fuckin kid ahelped my dumb name cause technically a biblical reference. thought it was cool having read this roger zelazny short story, like 10 years ago, and been farting about as judas ever since. is this what getting old is about???

clearly i should have a newbee tag

I sincerely hope they ahelp anyone named Paul, Matthew, Peter etc too

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
it's one of those things where there was a crackdown on "famous person/religious figure" names because people cannot help but name themselves Walter White over and over and everyone's tired of it

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I have never not played as Miror B because the very first time i played i found out you could do split hair and have a giant afro. It's kind of a deep cut, but you'd have to pry that out of my cold, banned hands

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Every chef I've played on Goon or Goon RP has always been Mario Battalion. Rule's stupid.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
goonstation.txt lol

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Accidentally joined a round as the lawyer. Sec took me to talk with the Syndie they had in perma. Interviewed him and said I'd take up his case, but moving it forward was going to be difficult because Sec had other priorities at the time.

Like the Tesloose and Nukies storming the station.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

The Taxman posted:

I run into stuff like that with the MULE too, the pathfinding is real fucky

I kind of like that the MULE bot is bugged to the point of not working 90% of the time, because it means it only comes out in the brief windows where someone manages to get the twenty year old code working before it immediately breaks again. If it was running people over every round, it wouldn't be nearly as funny.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
maybe they should have a comedy reskin to look like a cybertruck, since they're either broken down or mowing people down :v:

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Call it the Muskbot, problem solved

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDfLF902wns

Apparently Chickens explode at 25,000 feet ASL (37.6 kPa). I think I need to figure out how to make a pull request.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Pullet request