Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
gradle is trash for retards who aren't smart enough to understand why maven is better. also the maven formatting of dependencies in XML is far clearer than gradle and theres no benefit to the gradle version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
open source is good & your gimmick is bad

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
why haven't you addressed my argument that open source is actually bad

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

my goth gf posted:

why haven't you addressed my argument that open source is actually bad
because you were a *BSD partisan a week ago and therefore obviously trolling on some levle

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 6, 2017

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Gazpacho posted:

because you were a *BSD partisan and therefore obviously trolling on some levle

i have never trolled in my life

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
software dev 30 years ago: "how does the file system work? ehhhhhh i never went to college, it's just magic i guess"

software dev today, if so inclined: *downloads and studies source code for 3 file systems*

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
i downloaded and studied the reiserfs source code and now i'm dead, thanks a lot op

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
gradle would be a lot cooler if it wasnt dog loving slow

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Gazpacho posted:

Also if you've contributed code to open source projects that are widely used then you're p cool

what if this project is awful.app

pram
Jun 10, 2001
maven isnt that bad

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

carry on then posted:

what if this project is awful.app
Read the post again

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
is mastadon ok?

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

OB_Juan posted:

is mastadon ok?

leviathan was a great album and blood mountain was alright, wasn't a big fan of crack the skye though

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

OB_Juan posted:

is mastadon ok?
idk as far as i can tell its federation as currently practiced is a bit weird and limits the ability to have private posts/accounts, and it's kinda vulnerable having only the one developer lol

but i guess in theory both of those could change in the future so it's not necessarily "doomed" as such (though in open source the alternative to a sole developer inevitably involves personality clashes, drama bombs and incompatible forks lol :buddy:)

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
mastodon doesn't seem to scale well, an instance with 40 active users require a shitton of resources

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
if open source was good the best os, macos, would be open source

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
macos is bad

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Clang and Derwood or whatever are open source , the rest is just eye candy for the plebs

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Symbolic Butt posted:

macos is bad

wrongo

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Open source is great but also bad because programmers are insanely turdy and ungrateful for volunteer effort spent

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i've never used maven

it's java tho so I assume it's poop

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Symbolic Butt posted:

macos is bad

:wrong:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

open source stuff is cool if it does what you want it to and isn't open source for the sake of "free as in stallman's toe fungus is free protein"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

EmberJS is cool and good and opensource

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
BSD zero-clause is my fave open source license. short and sweet, nothing left to take away. and it satisfies the legal windbags who don't acknowledge public domain grants

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Open Source is hilarious because it's communism with thousands of loyal libertarian zealots in its ranks

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah except not at all

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

https://twitter.com/mistydemeo/status/849861191975317504

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Well its good that they (he) kept a detailed change log

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I like bc and it's bullshit how fedora doesn't come with it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Symbolic Butt posted:

I like bc and it's bullshit how fedora doesn't come with it

you can't just do "yum/dnf install bc" like on rhel/centos?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

The_Franz posted:

you can't just do "yum/dnf install bc" like on rhel/centos?

you can but it's just one of those things that's supposed to come with every linux distribution already

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
don't judge my pet peeve

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
that's as it should be, the shell has integer math and i'd be very suspicious of an administrative script that required precision math

e: expr is installed by default btw

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Gazpacho posted:

BSD zero-clause is my fave open source license. short and sweet, nothing left to take away. and it satisfies the legal windbags who don't acknowledge public domain grants

anything that makes lawyers less important is good, even if it involves open sores

• Locked thread