Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Newest thing: Part 4!

Bonus 1 - let's play Witch Tower with SPECIAL GUEST

Ohhhh, I've got a good one for you this time, me hearties!

Bacter. Quick, fast, and in a hurry - genre, spoiler policy, why do you love this game and how much, any thread participation?

Uncanny horror - think Oxenfree, Deadly Premonition, Life is Strange, that kind of thing

NONE there's a lot of discovery and mystery wrapped up in this game, so don't spoil anything, even in spoiler tags, ya doof. As per usual in my threads, if there's a big revelation in a particular video, put it in spoiler tags for a day / until the next page. Just courtesy!
Oh. Let me spoil one thing, just to head any disappointment off at the pass. The "twist" isn't that you died and this is limbo or the afterlife or whatever. That's an overused twist, and I wouldn't put you through a whole game of that!

You guys. SO MUCH. This game is so good. Writing is good and believable (also a strong point with oxenfree), horror elements are handled SUPER well, characters are written well, and the setting... I'll say more about it but it's GOOD.

Yes. Really just one choice, you'll know it when it comes.

I'm doing subtitles because I think those preserve atmosphere better than a voice, and the atmosphere is really, REALLY good. We'll be doing a 100% run as much as possible.

Alright, how ab-"

NO TIME! LET'S GET ROLLING!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Apr 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

You know what? I never use it! Not really!

This time, I'm NOT reserving the second post.

Ok ok ok. I have a few extras planned.

The first, early, easy one is I kind of like to have some music that a game puts me in mind of.
Here, as everywhere else, I'm avoiding spoilers. There are some really good songs that might put you on the scent of what's going on too early! So I'll avoid that.

But if YOU, dear reader, think of something that sounds like it might fit the game, in style, genre, lyrical content, feel, whatever, let's get a dang playlist going!

Long Journey Home - Bedquilt Ramblers

Wild Pack of Family Dogs - Modest Mouse

Wait.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 12, 2017

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Excellent. After hearing you talk this up for the past couple weeks I'm looking forward to seeing what these critters are all about.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Interesting. Its been a while since Dagger, let's see how this one holds up.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
I recently finished this game and, although I enjoyed the overall experience, there's so much that left me wanting. It's the type of game that stands up well until I apply a certain critical perspective, but the game almost demands that critical perspective. And, man, do I want to talk about it. Looking forward to this.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Is it discriminatory to want to pet the protagonist

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Let me say:

if that's wrong, I don't want to be RIGHT.

Mr. Highway posted:

I recently finished this game and, although I enjoyed the overall experience, there's so much that left me wanting. It's the type of game that stands up well until I apply a certain critical perspective, but the game almost demands that critical perspective. And, man, do I want to talk about it. Looking forward to this.

Very looking forward to the conversation!

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Right: it's time to actually find out a few things - what are we doing here? Do we know anybody that rulz? Will Aunt Mall Cop want to talk to us more? Will the game suddenly become Guitar Hero? FIND OUT TODAY:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Quicksilver6 posted:

Is it discriminatory to want to pet the protagonist
I think it's the twitching ear. Amazingly adorable feature.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

This game has one of the best soundtracks I've heard in a long while. As good as the entire game is, the soundtrack might be the best part.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Yeah, and the WAY it's used is really good, too. Silence is used effectively along with music. I've felt pit-of-stomach dread a few times based on music changes!

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Hmm, seems like Mae had some issues, and likely still has them. That's a bit of a dark song, but seems fitting for a town on the decline. And then there's an arm. Okay, that's clearly trouble.

grandalt fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 9, 2017

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
Gregg is weird in that he's a well-written character, but he annoys me because he's well-written. Like, if he were a real person, he's the type of person who'd annoy me. Really, all the characters are well-written. Some may not be as rounded as the main four, solely because the game doesn't center around them, but you can tell the developers but a lot of time and effort into creating them.

Since the teens called Mae "Lady," this game exhibits the infantlizing (or adolescentizing) effect of nostalgia. I have not decided if this is intentional, or, if it is intentional, by what degree. The game presents Mae in a couple mid-transitional states: one based on going from college student, and one based upon her view of age. While the boundaries should be clear (you're either in college or you're not; you're either a teenager or you're an adult) Mae's attitude blurs the line. The game probably intends for Mae to be confused about her place in the world by providing these moments when age as a number is apparent but age as an attitude is suspect, such as teens calling her the respectful "Lady", usually referred to an older generation, when she feels her age is more like an epilogue to teenage-hood. Mae's succinct "Lady?" shows her confusion over why anyone would see her as anything other than 20. Of course, Mae at 20 is not far removed from being a teenager, which is an extension, I believe, of a current mindset of twenty-somethings viewing themselves as older teenagers rather than young adults.

Nostalgia factors because Mae is an adult, by definition, who acts like a kid. The game relies heavily on nostalgia and the player's own opinions on the matter. It references how much Possum Springs has changed and references how much better it used to be. Not only does Mae lament for the days when Possum Springs flourished, but she doesn't want to be an adult, either a lady or an adult at 20. She wants to relive and grasp her youthful days. She wants her group of similarly aged friends to "play-out". We can assume that she has had recent trouble and desires the simplicity of the past. However, her view of the past seems regulated to a care-free, rule-free, responsibility-free life reserved for either young children or deluded teenage years. Almost everything about Mae reflects adolescent abandon: she hops on the counter to talk with her mom, she stands half as tall as her parents, and she has a lack of worry about the future. Mae's character represents everything about nostalgia. Also, her childish behavior further establishes the mood that twenty-somethings are older teenagers.

The reason I say I'm not sure this is intentional is for two reasons. One, Mae will try to defend herself as an adult, such as with the unemployed cat. This could be part of the transitional confusion, Mae asking herself whether she is an adult or not. Or, maybe Mae took the unemployed cat's comment as an insult. Either way, Mae will defend herself as an adult but will still revel in childish behavior. Two, the game relies heavily on the player feeling nostalgia. Every available moment, the game will remind you that the past was better. Plus, the game is very directed at a target audience, and plays up the fears of that audience. I don't know if the game has something to say about how nostalgia infantilizes people, or if that's just an accidental side effect.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Lots to say about this, but I'll leave it for a non-update post. And SPEAKING of an update post!!

PLUS

Special Bonus Content 1!

Let's Play Demon Tower 4!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Greggory is absolutely my favorite character in this game. Mae is a close second.

This is a good game.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Gregg rulz, ok?

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
I feel like I must like Gregg if only because I suspect I am the Gregg Friend.

Demontower is actually a pretty interesting design for a game, though. The idea that you lose health but gain mobility as you progress is really clever - early on, when you're learning and making mistakes, you have more health so that it's less punishing if you take damage, and then as you get better, you gain more mobility so that you have more tools to avoid damage. I'm not sure how well it would work for a full game, but for a little minigame type thing it's a cute idea.
It's cool to see that they put thought into the little things.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This is real fuckin' good

I am also the Gregg friend, I suspect

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I'll be honest, goons.

Most of us

are probably the Gregg friend.

We've probably all made some

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Are you abandoning this, Bacter? Or are you just running two threads simultaneously?

Because I love this game. :allears:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I don't understand how you can see "OP posted an update four days ago" and think "this is probably being abandoned".

Some folks do multiple LPs at once, and considering how short the videos are for the Deadbolt LP it's probably not taking much time away from any other projects.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'ma get a new tattoo that reads 'GREGG IS NOT HERE TO HELP' and never explain it to anyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DraegonX
Mar 19, 2009
I'm really enjoying this. I watched VoidBurger's blind stream before this, but there's a lot of stuff that makes more sense when you already know the plot.

• Locked thread