Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

A hat trick this morning. First a Silver Truck on the side of i93 with smoke pouring from underneath as the owner stood sensibly far away, a Fiat 500 that some how ended up in the middle of a field at an exit and a modified WRX on the exit ramp that seemed to be wheel deficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
An abandoned Fiat 500 with a yellow 'We're gonna tow you' tag, a Chevy Impala with no wheels and one spare tire jack holding it up, and an abandoned/surrendered BMW 7 series in our parking lot with mismatched chrome wheels and two flats.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Bright yellow Chevy aveo, hood up, dude standing next to it looking around in (I presume) indecision as to his next move

Early 2000s 3 series being attended to by what I think may have been a mobile mechanic.

Early 2000s sentry

2017 Hyundai sonata, just like the one I was driving.

Some kind of box truck

Toyota Tacoma limping on the highway with hazards on.

edit: on the way back, I was surprised nothing was dead in the desert on 93 north into Vegas. But the city claimed a few.

Black early 2000s Kia Spectra with sun-peeled clear coat

Late model Ford medium truck

Late 90s Chevy full sized pickup done up in a 90s mini-truck paint job and lowered, rear axle on pavement minus one rear wheel

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 19, 2017

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Totally unsurprising, but I saw a Delta Integrale on the side of the road, having decided the holiday traffic jam was a bit too much for it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
In the recent rain
- Peugeot 306
- 90s Ford Telstar
- mid 2000s Japanese market Toyota (an Allion or similar)
- Late model Prius taxi (but I think that was just a flat tyre)

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
A few weeks back I saw a lifted chevy truck with the hood up and the owner standing on the front bumper. It was the only way for him to look inside the hood.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i've passed the same z32 300zx broken down on the side of the highway four times over the past year. each time it makes me that much happier i did not buy a z32, much as i love their looks.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
today : 20xx Ranger rattlecanned green (?) 5/8 of the way up the mountain, hood up, steam issuing forth, driver squatted in front of it with a gallon bottle of water at the ready

also : local government held their first vehicle auction in 8 years a little over a month ago

http://dpp.vi.gov/sites/default/files/announcements/6%2010%202017%20Auction%20Booklet%20FINAL%20ONLINE.pdf

p much all of the cars sold off were inoperable in their own special way

these cars are just beginning to get back on the roads, so I expect to be seeing plenty of broken-down white Chevy *******s over the next few months

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 28, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

buttcrackmenace posted:

today : 20xx Ranger rattlecanned green (?) 5/8 of the way up the mountain, hood up, steam issuing forth, driver squatted in front of it with a gallon bottle of water at the ready

also : local government held their first vehicle auction in 8 years a little over a month ago

http://dpp.vi.gov/sites/default/files/announcements/6%2010%202017%20Auction%20Booklet%20FINAL%20ONLINE.pdf

p much all of the cars sold off were inoperable in their own special way

these cars are just beginning to get back on the roads, so I expect to be seeing plenty of broken white Chevy **********s over the next few months

:stare: Those starting bids are insane.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

:stare: Those starting bids are insane.

those high opening bids were put in place on the :airquote:recommendation:airquote: of the Office of the Governor

the owner of the largest Ford dealership in the territory was one of the larger contributors to the current governor's campaign :allears:

there was some public pushback to the high starting bids in the first auction, so they were relaxed somewhat for the subsequent auto auction, held last weekend

http://dpp.vi.gov/sites/default/files/announcements/7%2022%202017%20Auction%20Booklet%20FINAL.pdf

still laughable.

also #2 : the reason that was the first gov't auto auction in 8+ years was due to the actions of the former governor, who once in office ordered that all "economically non-viable" government vehicles (i.e. anything out of warranty needing more than $2500 worth of "maintenance" be collected, crushed and disposed of and not auctioned off, as had been the custom in years past.

he then promptly authorized the replacement of those vehicles with primarily GM-sourced products

this juuuuust may have had something to with the fact that the largest GM dealer in the territory was a strong contributor to that particular governor's campaign :capitalism:

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 28, 2017

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I've seen surprisingly few broken down cars since coming to China. Last week I saw a Haval SUV (Not sure which model) with the rear passenger side jacked up and no one anywhere near it. Also, there was a gravel barge on the river that was in the middle of sinking in a rain storm.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

financially racist posted:

i've passed the same z32 300zx broken down on the side of the highway four times over the past year. each time it makes me that much happier i did not buy a z32, much as i love their looks.

Passed one of these today... except it was almost on its side in a ditch, with temporary tags on it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

[quote="“VideoTapir”" post="“475417996”"]
I’ve seen surprisingly few broken down cars since coming to China. Last week I saw a Haval SUV (Not sure which model) with the rear passenger side jacked up and no one anywhere near it. Also, there was a gravel barge on the river that was in the middle of sinking in a rain storm.
[/quote]

I’ve seen more than a few broken down Greatwall utes and SUVs in New Zealand

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

dissss posted:

I’ve seen more than a few broken down Greatwall utes and SUVs in New Zealand

One of the other names of the same company, if you weren't aware.

The last broken down car I recall seeing in China, I was in at the time it broke down. It was my father in law's VW Santana. I never found out what was wrong with it for sure, but it lost all throttle response, and the parking brake was stuck on. My wife managed to idle it home like 2 or 3 miles.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah I think changing the names was about the extent of the changes they made to export models

I guess Great Wall V240 is more sellable than Wingle 5

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

Found almost on the road, in the parking lot of a Home Depot:

Looks to be a mid-90s Buick Lesabre. The fire looks like it started above the wheel well. Not sure what's on the driver's side of those engine bays.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Saw a bugeye silver WRX on its side in the grass median. No other cars involved, not sure how that happened.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Saw a bugeye silver WRX on its side in the grass median. No other cars involved, not sure how that happened.

I found the problem

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Couple weeks ago I saw a VW Lavida that had crashed through one traffic barrier and hit another. It was being towed out of the bike lane, backing up scooter traffic. So naturally they were all riding on the sidewalk.

There was a FAW crossover by the side of the road near my work.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I saw a late-90s GM product (tahoe/jimmy/blazer/yukon) with a rear wheel and brake missing on the opposite side of the highway last week. It was supported on the rear suspension member by a hydraulic rapid-jack. A couple days later, it was supported on the axle by two bottle jacks. Yesterday it was supported on the frame by the ground.

I kinda wonder if the guy who stole the high-lift came back to get his bottle jacks, or if it was two separate thefts.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Minnesota Mixup posted:

I've seen this a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
"I've got AWD, I can drive like a jackass!"

*proceeds to spin out, hit a rail and flip*

• Locked thread