Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Starting on Monday, I am taking a trip. It's Spring Break, after all. I will be loading the family into the station wagon for the good old fashioned American road trip. But I'm not exactly traveling to a tourist hot spot.

:siren:Russell, Kansas.:siren: My wife's family lives there. We're going to visit her grandparents, who are in their 80s, before we can't anymore, if you follow my meaning.

Here's my proposed route. I'll be stopping for the night in Albuquerque. I want to know if there's anywhere else that I could stop to see some things a few teenagers might find interesting, or some cool places to eat along the way. "IHOP in Flagstaff" and "Dairy Queen in Amarillo" aren't really the greatest, but they'll do in a pinch.

I'll be taking more or less the same route home, in reverse naturally. So if there's anything else to see, I'd like to know. Thanks AI. ;-*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I've always camped in the walmart parkinglot in ABQ. Tucumcari,NM is really pretty and worth checking out during the daytime. Williams AZ is another cool little place, good detour for the Grand Canyon. Theres a couple "early man sites" and impact craters too iirc.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

May I humbly suggest that you take, as the great world-traveler Bugs Bunny has often regretted missing, a left turn at Albuquerque and take I-25 North into Colorado. We have some beautiful countryside here, and for those pesky teenagers you'll get a couple larger cities (Santa Fe, then progressively larger cities the further north you go into Colo) as opposed to the Texas-Oklahoma Panhandle which is a pretty depressed area. You could veer East at Trinidad or Colorado Springs, though It may be worth the extra few miles to go all the way to the Mile High (try our green chili and craft beer! And... other stuff... if your family is really cool...) then take 70 into Kansas. Lots of empty highway then but there's no way to enter the K-hole without that.

A pretty major deviation from your route, but I'd bet good money your family will enjoy the Centennial State a lot more than they would panhandle country. Unless this is like a history tour and you're gonna play Ken Burns' "Dust Bowl" the whole time. Teach 'em something.

Oh and just in case it comes up don't bring anything you buy here to any other states. Enjoy locally and come back soon!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Left Ventricle posted:

I'll be taking more or less the same route home, in reverse naturally.

I'd recommend turning the car around and driving it in the forward gears instead. It's probably pretty difficult to see out of the back of those station wagons when you're fully loaded and at highway speed, and you don't want to get a crick in your neck from turning your head like that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Ruidoso NM is really pretty, though it's a couple of hours south of ABQ. I spent a lot of time there growing up.

Teens may or may not enjoy it as much (depending on if they're into forests and outdoor stuff), but IMO it's well worth the extra drive, and you could spend the night there instead of ABQ.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hah, I was going to say one of my stops would be a corner in Winslow, Arizona, but it looks like you're already on that.

Meteor crater is where I'd go while around there, too, I always wanted to see it.

Being a complete child, I noticed that you also drive through somewhere called Winona in AZ, and am going to suggest you check if there's a big brown beaver there.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Ruidoso NM is really pretty, though it's a couple of hours south of ABQ. I spent a lot of time there growing up.

Teens may or may not enjoy it as much (depending on if they're into forests and outdoor stuff), but IMO it's well worth the extra drive, and you could spend the night there instead of ABQ.

The stop for the night in Albuquerque is pretty well set in stone both ways, since the hotel I booked will not refund me. Special price or some such nonsense.

Raluek posted:

I'd recommend turning the car around and driving it in the forward gears instead. It's probably pretty difficult to see out of the back of those station wagons when you're fully loaded and at highway speed, and you don't want to get a crick in your neck from turning your head like that.

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

May I humbly suggest that you take, as the great world-traveler Bugs Bunny has often regretted missing, a left turn at Albuquerque and take I-25 North into Colorado. We have some beautiful countryside here, and for those pesky teenagers you'll get a couple larger cities (Santa Fe, then progressively larger cities the further north you go into Colo) as opposed to the Texas-Oklahoma Panhandle which is a pretty depressed area. You could veer East at Trinidad or Colorado Springs, though It may be worth the extra few miles to go all the way to the Mile High (try our green chili and craft beer! And... other stuff... if your family is really cool...) then take 70 into Kansas. Lots of empty highway then but there's no way to enter the K-hole without that.

A pretty major deviation from your route, but I'd bet good money your family will enjoy the Centennial State a lot more than they would panhandle country. Unless this is like a history tour and you're gonna play Ken Burns' "Dust Bowl" the whole time. Teach 'em something.

Oh and just in case it comes up don't bring anything you buy here to any other states. Enjoy locally and come back soon!

How is the weather this time of year in CO? I'm trying to avoid any sort of inclement conditions. That's why I'm taking the southern route on I-40 in the first place instead of the much more scenic I-70.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Left Ventricle posted:

How is the weather this time of year in CO? I'm trying to avoid any sort of inclement conditions. That's why I'm taking the southern route on I-40 in the first place instead of the much more scenic I-70.

According the NCAR forecast Monday-Tuesday should be clear in the south, the only precipitation expected in the state is in the NW (pretty typical). Although spring is traditionally our wettest season, this year so far has been painfully dry, so I wouldn't be too worried about it. You should definitely check again if you come through on your way back though, weather here changes fast.

It also bares mentioning you would not be spending any time anywhere near the mountains and that's where snow really matters. I-25 is usually pretty reliable and well maintained (it is, after all, the longest and largest North-South Interstate in the nation).

Edit: Full disclosure, I bike so my attitude towards highway conditions may be different than yours.

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 9, 2017

• Locked thread