Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Broken Social Scene 2017 Tour
5/23—Albert Hall—Manchester, United Kingdom
5/24—Brixton Academy—London, United Kingdom
5/26—Immergut Festival—Neustrelitz, Germany
5/28—Trix Club—Antwerp, Belgium
5/29—Paradiso—Amsterdam, Netherlands
5/30—Alhambra—Paris, France
6/1—Primavera Sound—Barcelona, Spain
6/3—Field Trip—Toronto, Ontario
6/24—Arroyo Seco Weekend—Pasadena, CA
8/5—Osheaga—Montreal, Quebec

New single: "Halfway Home"

New album "soon"!

Personally I'm beyond excited. Just a couple weeks ago I was wondering if BSS would ever do another album, and for my birthday, they released a new song! Cool going, dudes. 11 years ago (holy poo poo!) they were my favorite band of all time; I still think their self-titled and Forgiveness Rock Record are two of the best things ever put to tape, to say nothing of their almost-as-good You Forgot it in People (and their first record, which was okay).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

sad I wont be able to make any of those. never been crazy about their albums but they are a super fun band to see live

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

precision posted:

I still think their self-titled and Forgiveness Rock Record are two of the best things ever put to tape, to say nothing of their almost-as-good You Forgot it in People (and their first record, which was okay).

My love for YFIIP is undying but they almost lost me with the self-titled. It has some of their best songs ("Fire Eye'd Boy", "Ibi Dreams of Pavement") but for me it nearly collapses under the weight of its stuffy and overwrought production. One of the things I loved about YFIIP was how humble and earnest it felt (even if production-wise it was all very meticulously constructed, I'm sure), but the self-titled was just too much for me. "It's All Gonna Break"'s bombastic melodrama is everything opposite of what I liked about the band, though it's catchy enough to have grown on me a bit in the years since. There were a couple of years there when every time I saw them live they closed with it and consequently I was always left a little bummed when the lights came up. I thought FRR struck a much better balance in that sense.

I like this new song, in any case. It's pretty standard Broken Social Scene but that's good!

edit: Thread got me to listen to FRR again; "Sentimental X's" makes a pretty strong claim for best BSS song.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 10, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Kevin Drew's solo work is also fantastic if you haven't listened to it, Darlings is very stripped-down and the opposite of "It's All Gonna Break". Spirit If... I just realized I haven't listened to in years, I should probably fix that. I recall liking the Brendan Canning one better.

Incidentally though, "It's All Gonna Break" is my favorite BSS song, though "Water in Hell" is a very close second.

The shuck and jive, the shuck and jive is over...

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I remember liking the singles off those solo records (Hit the Wall, Lucky Ones, etc.) but they came at a time when for a number of reasons I wasn't listening to much music so ended up kind of falling by the wayside for me. I should probably go back to them, yeah.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Spirit If is as much a BSS album to me as any of BSS' actual albums. I'd consider hosed Up Kid and Safety Bricks 2 of my favorite BSS songs and they aren't even BSS songs.

YFIIP was my entry point to BSS in like 2004 or 5 and I still consider it a perfect record and it'll always be my favorite of theirs, but I listened to the self-titled start to finish for the first time in a while like 2 weeks ago and it's still suuuuuuuuuuuper strong. I never really listened to FRR, though. I should probably give it another chance.

I wasn't crazy about the new single the first time I listened to the studio version, but I think it clicked for me when I saw them play it on Colbert. They had like loving 10 people on stage and it reminded me of when I saw them live in 2006. Feist's back in, Amy Milan's back in, Emily Haines is back in, gently caress yeah the whole gang's back together :c00l:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Apr 12, 2017

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
In my younger days I would've found the earnestness of that live performance kind of corny but now I just want to give them all a hug. :unsmith: Missed them guys.

Also, that thing Spearin is playing — the hell's that called?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I'm glad BSS are doing the Polyphonic Spree thing (was there an indie rock band with 15+ active members at all times before Polyphonic Spree?) I know there were arty electronic collectives and such, but I can't recall a "regular indie rock band" with more than like 7 members before them.

Feist, Amy Milan, and all the old crew are set to appear on the album and I believe they're all gonna be at the live shows.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I'm listening to "Lo-Fi for the Dividing Nights" and it's such a pleasant listen. Was reminded how good some of the EPs and outtakes are. "Backyards", "Ambulance for the Ambiance", the fast version of "Major Label Debut" (aka the one true version), etc. Their instrumental post-rock roots really shine in a lot of these understated tracks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah the EP that came with the self-titled is crazy good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Glare Seethe posted:

I'm listening to "Lo-Fi for the Dividing Nights" and it's such a pleasant listen. Was reminded how good some of the EPs and outtakes are. "Backyards", "Ambulance for the Ambiance", the fast version of "Major Label Debut" (aka the one true version), etc. Their instrumental post-rock roots really shine in a lot of these understated tracks.
Love and Mathematics is one of my favorite songs of theirs period even if Feel Good Lost doesn't really give you the best idea of what they'd sound like later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2fsKgxr-Zo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Feel Good Lost fits right in with Do Make Say Think which makes sense as they share members, it's just they decided having one band sound like that was enough. I love DMST though so yeah I really dig that song.

I feel like now is a good time to remind everyone that the video for "I'm Still Your Fag" is phenomenal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS6Ycu148O0

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
New album is called Hug of Thunder and arrives July 7th on Arts & Crafts. Can't wait!

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
E: Title track is out now, + tour dates

http://pitchfork.com/news/72938-broken-social-scene-share-new-song-hug-of-thunder-with-feist-announce-tour-listen/?mbid=social_facebook

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 15, 2017

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ehhhhhh :(

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

That's definitely not a typical BSS song. I recently checked out Darlings per precision's earlier recommendation and this kind of sounds like those songs, low-key, intimate, vaguely 80s-tinged (that reverb on the drums).

It's not blowing me away but I like it.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I like the title track a lot, but I'm a huge sucker for Feist. Definitely sad about the lack of west coast shows. I moved away from Iowa to see better music!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I really dig it! Does sound more like solo Kevin Drew though.

Also, yay more tour dates, the show I'll be planning on seeing has Frightened Rabbit opening, and Frightened Rabbit are really fuckin' good too

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Only partially relevant, but I've been listening a lot to Emily Haines' "Knives Don't Have Your Back" album lately and it's just stupendously good. It's my favorite release from all the bands/projects that orbit BSS, depending on how we see "Spirit If..." and even then it's a tie. Like Metric but without the polished sheen and a lot more contemplative and understated, and the melodies and piano lines often veer off in unexpected directions which lends the songs a kind of oddness. It's just very, very good all around.

Here's "Doctor Blind":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehewL3I6AzQ

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

3rd single Skyline is out on streaming services.

http://pitchfork.com/news/73879-broken-social-scene-share-new-song-skyline-listen/

It's certainly more interesting than the last one, but it's also not striking me as an instant classic or anything.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I think all three of these new songs kind of lack bite. They're pleasant and enjoyable enough but ultimately kind of tepid. Bit dadrock maybe?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought Halfway Home was kind of standard but as time goes on I find it stuck in my head a lot and now I think it's a classic.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

http://www.npr.org/2017/07/03/534134749/first-listen-broken-social-scene-hug-of-thunder

Full album stream ahead of Friday's release!

(I don't find very much of it to be memorable :()

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 3, 2017

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

After one listen I think it's all right... basically I stand by my previous post. I feel the hug, but I'm just not hearing the thunder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Really great album, but yeah it's way more Hug than Thunder and feels like "Kevin Drew Presents..." more than a proper BSS record.

Favorite tracks on first lessons are "Protest Song", "Skyline" and "Please Take Me With You".

• Locked thread