Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I think we're supposed to sympathize with Lucrecia, but I just can't stop laughing at how Vincent got snubbed by loving Hojo of all people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think this game succeeded in killing off any positive feelings one might have associated with any of the FF7 characters.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

I think this game succeeded in killing off any positive feelings one might have associated with any of the FF7 characters.
The Advent Children multimedia project in general did. The RA from my freshman year of college once invited us to watch that movie in his room, where we had free pizza and soda (as we were too young to drink booze legally). I saw a few minutes and didn't remember anything, but I do remember hearing that they awkwardly shoehorned in Aerith's corpse at the bottom of the lake as a way of resolving the main conflict. Is that accurate? Because if so, ugh.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

get that OUT of my face posted:

Nothing happens in them and the characters involved in them speak a few words at a time before pausing for two seconds and repeating the process. The voice acting is terrible and so is the editing. Improving both of these things would shave at least two minutes off of a ten-minute cutscene.

I'm about midway through the videos posted and there have only been two different types of enemies outside of "Deepground Soldier" and "Deepground Dog." One was the sewer lizard person and the other was a giant bug. This is a Final Fantasy game, which has some of the most recognizable enemies of any RPG. Would it kill them to have Cactaur, or Malboro, or Tonberry as enemies?

The whole game feels completely unnecessary and it feels like it was made with that attitude.

Oh no! You're absolutely right. There's very little in enemy verity and they really half assed this game. There's only one limit break you can do which seems weird. I'd love to be able to choose between the 3, outside of Chaos cause Chaos is a major plot point for some reason, to fit some sort of situation at hand.

SSNeoman posted:

I think we're supposed to sympathize with Lucrecia, but I just can't stop laughing at how Vincent got snubbed by loving Hojo of all people.

Oh yeah you have no idea how badly I was cringing at Vincent here. It was the most disgusting thing they could have possibly done in this.

anilEhilated posted:

Lucrecia was... More respectable when she had barely any character in FF7. Now we see Vincent as this little whimp. And because Lucrecia sorta hosed up Vincent to make it up to him she went and became Hojo's... Something? Like I can imagine Hojo would really treat anyone with any respect, but also they had a child together. So the thoughts that come to mind are some that I'd rather not write out.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

The Bad Episode

I really wish I could be joking here and telling you that this isn't a bad episode but god it's so annoying and you can hear in my voice how annoyed I am at this stupid loving bullshit. The level is SUPER CRAMPED. There's a lot of lame gimmicks to slow you down and it's just not enjoyable at all. The boss or midboss in this area is also total bullshit. It's a fight to stay awake at this point. Just everything points to things being complete poo poo in this level.

We did get our final G Report which means we can get the super special secret ending! YAY US!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That reveal btw is :jerkbag: as gently caress. All it's trying to say is that our oh-so-cool villains came from the same tech Sephiroth did.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

One Boss After Another

Well they certainly ramped things up here. It's bossfight after bossfight after bossfight! And honestly they're not too bad. They're not too good either, but I sort of enjoy some of the gimmicks of these fights. We finally face off against Weiss! And you better believe the cutscene is loving TRASH! OH Man! This story keeps taking a poo poo and when you think it couldn't possibly get worse it does. I hope you all enjoy how loving stupid this all is and know that it'll end with a huge bullshit battle. But not quite yet. We're not done. That's for Monday, we're completing the main story of this game soon!

Also on episode 18 I got this message

That's... that's good right? RIGHT?!?!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, that... sure was a reveal. Maybe says something about the true nature of the Internet. Still, nice of the bad guy to interrupt his doomsday plan just because Vincent politely asks him to wait.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Well, that... sure was a reveal. Maybe says something about the true nature of the Internet. Still, nice of the bad guy to interrupt his doomsday plan just because Vincent politely asks him to wait.

It was super hella dumb! That was one of the more "Obvious" but still bullshit reveals ever.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I don't understand why they put in an unwinnable boss fight into this game. Those only work in JRPGs due to the more slow-paced nature of gameplay.

And yeah, these cutscenes are really SE at their absolute worst. It's their worst habits out in full force.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Alpha and Omega

Well here we all everyone! Final Episode of this masterpiece. I want to apologize immediately for the audio quality. It was coming straight from the PS3 so there's not much I can really do about it. I wish it wasn't there but god it was really horrible and broke a lot of the awesome musics in the game. But with this we're finally done! Again I want to thank everyone that joined in and contributed to the thread and watched and enjoyed everything you saw. I don't know when I'll return for another LP as my life is getting hectic SUPER QUICKLY!

Omega Reports:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so what the hell is up with G's voice? Did they not redub it or something? Because that accent completely kills off any (however unlikely) chance of taking him seriously.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Okay, so what the hell is up with G's voice? Did they not redub it or something? Because that accent completely kills off any (however unlikely) chance of taking him seriously.

Did they have a different voice for him before? Never played Crisis Core so I'm not sure.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Zain posted:

Did they have a different voice for him before? Never played Crisis Core so I'm not sure.
Neither have I, but my immediate impression was "the only reason to have an accent like this was if the guy wanted to voice himself".

lightace
Jul 13, 2016
"G" had a different voice actor in Crisis Core and also looked a lot less dark and edgy. I'm pretty sure the reason he sounds so goofy in DoC is because they had the guy he's modeled after, Gackt, voice him himself, rather than an actual voice actor.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Honestly didn't know he could speak English. This performance of "G" was very Romanian vampire and just didn't seem fitting.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Zain posted:

One Boss After Another

When the subtitles for the "charade" line showed up I read it in Hojo's voice as "sha-rod." You can imagine my dismay when he said "sha-raid!" I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

When the subtitles for the "charade" line showed up I read it in Hojo's voice as "sha-rod." You can imagine my dismay when he said "sha-raid!" I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

Yeah it was very weird that's for sure.

Holy poo poo! I didn't even know that the audio issue was in the previous video too. God drat! I'm sorry everyone.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

It was a lark to see this hot mess again. Every time I encounter a mention of this game, the universal sentiment is of "why did this get made?". (The answer, naturally, is money and the FF7 fanbase's willingness to part with it in exchange for childhood nostalgia.*) The gameplay is a weird worst-of-both-worlds setup between third-person-shooters and action RPGs, the story goes out of its way to answer questions no one even posed in the original game, and the characters are either wooden or dreadfully campy if not both. (Steve Blum and Mary McGlynn, among others, are still good at acting but the scripts and direction they were given fall more flat than Baywatch.) And to top it all off we have some bizarre Japanese musician clumsily inserted for a J-Pop theme and a non sequitur stinger.**

How did so many people sign off on this as a quality product with straight faces?

*By all accounts FF7 is a good game, but its fanbase can be legendarily obsessive at times.
**G is voiced by Robin Atkin Downes in this game's English dub (he's right there at the end of the voice credits), so at least we didn't have Gackt himself showing up as a self-important nutter. (But given the accent he's still trying to imitate Gackt.)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I would argue that the story would be a lot better if it was just dealing with the fallout of Shinra's other side projects, continuing to hammer the theme that "injecting Jenova into poo poo is Bad". The Tsviets have not bad designs for the most part. I like how Rosso and Azul look, and Weiss works on some level as well even if he is bland. Nero looks loving dumb and is really all of Nomura's bad habits in one package but alright whatever.

I'd expand on Lucrecia more, but I'd shy away from Hojo. Brining him back was a mistake IMO. loving up the world from beyond the grave would fit into the theme that the corporate villains have in FF7.

Even after all is said and done, Genesis (or "G") just isn't a particularly compelling villain. Sephiroth was a compelling villain, and his breakdown in Crisis Core was the best part of the game.
The big issue with the story is that the writers focused too much on what fans liked in FF7 instead of exploring all the other poo poo in the world of FF7.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I still really enjoy FF7 although the fanbase is pretty bad and the retcons and poo poo are loving awful - the EU is just irredeemable.
That said, I think it may have been on these very forums where I have seen it said, but the real brilliance of FF7 wasn't in the story itself - the story was good, maybe even great, for the time and the genre, but ultimately was just John Carpenter's The Thing: The Anime: The Game" - but rather in how it was told and presented. Basically every character in FF7 is either missing important details, themselves mislead, and/or actively lying. The story is presented piecemeal over the course of the game and in such a manner that it manages to seem more engrossing than it is, and also engages the player more fully than it might otherwise by way of mystery.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, like Star Wars, a lot of the brilliance in FF7 lies in what the game didn't tell or show, and that like the SW EU/Prequels, the notion of a FF7 expanded universe was a venture doomed from the start, since the magic of the original is not something you can expand upon. And, like the prequels and much of the EU, the fact that the stories we did get were loving dreck didn't help.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Agreed. Crisis Core had elements of that which is why it probably comes out better than other FFVII media, but it was still too mired into FFVII's verse to really come together as a whole.

Also, I really loving hate Shelke so much.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I'd like it if either Shelke or Vincent weren't just monotone broodmeisters. It would have been nice to see them ACTUALLY loving CARE ABOUT SOMETHING. ANYTHING AT ALL. I sorta get why Shelke doesn't cause she lost a lot of her trust and her youth. But like loving christ! Vincent... "I'm just doing this cause why not?" There's no reason to like him here. In FF7 he as a tragic hero, but in this game they.. I don't know they paint him as always this broody dude who never gave a drat about anything. That's not a character, well it is but that's not a good or interesting character. I would much rather him be some happy fun loving person in the past and then have this personal tragedy that turned him into this cold unfeeling person, but no he's the same now as he was before.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

So I've ran through some of the Extra features, and by run through I mean look at all the things I unlocked by shooting those capsules... Well apparently not a lot or not at all! There's one extra mission that's super bullshit, and there's all the movies that we sat through. Now I know what you're thinking "What did all those things we shot do then?" Well I HAVE NO loving IDEA! Most of everything is loving locked away! Apparently there's more collectables in the lovely extra missions, and I have spent the better of 2 hours trying to beat the first one. So I don't think there will be an extras wrap up.

But the routing/speedrun will happen don't you worry about that.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

There's also a hidden item in new game plus which only drops from an enemy that has high HP and is on screen for a shirt period of time! Game mechanics! :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

There's also a hidden item in new game plus which only drops from an enemy that has high HP and is on screen for a shirt period of time! Game mechanics! :suicide:

Yeah, I've seen it. It's on chapter 6. The Mana heart which is okay I don't know if I wanna deal with Extra Hard difficulty, which is the only way you get NG+. You're stuck at level 1 with all the stuff you had in a previous playthrough... And it doesn't look like fun. They add way more enemies, and stronger ones that were in the later half of the game in the very beginning.

• Locked thread