Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Knorth posted:

Oh my god the band nicknames

They're all puns on their real names, in case that wasn't clear. Chitose's last name is Oribe, which sounds similar to Olive. Beef comes from the first part of Ushimatsu's last name, "ushi" meaning cow or beef. Doku literally means poison, although Doku itself already seems to be a nickname (I forgot if they ever explained this on the show).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Araki posted:

They're all puns on their real names, in case that wasn't clear. Chitose's last name is Oribe, which sounds similar to Olive. Beef comes from the first part of Ushimatsu's last name, "ushi" meaning cow or beef. Doku literally means poison, although Doku itself already seems to be a nickname (I forgot if they ever explained this on the show).

Doku's place is called "Dokushima's Workshop" so it seems like another instance of part of a name. Good call on Oribe though! That one I didn't catch.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Doku's place is called "Dokushima's Workshop" so it seems like another instance of part of a name.

Ah, I looked it up, and Doku's real name (Busujima) is written as 毒島. The first kanji is the one for poison, most frequently read as "doku", which explains the Doku/Poison nicknames.

According to the Japanese Wikipedia, his workshop is actually named "Busujima's workshop", so that might've been a mistake on the translator's part.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Well that latest episode took a turn from the charming to the odd.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The demon king has kidnapped the queen :ohdear:

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The series finale will be Yoshino finally snapping and killing all of the old people in Manoyama. Would that leave anybody left besides Angry Child?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
A little late but wow, the second opening is terrible.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I stopped watching around the third or fourth episode - is this show worth picking back up?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Watch more episodes and find out.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The answer is yes, possibly, depending on what you like. I could perfectly understand someone finding the show to just be a bore the whole way through.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
It's not great but it's an enjoyable show. For me it picked up around episode 6 when they did that movie subplot.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I was looking for something new to watch on Crunchyroll and binge-watched this series over the weekend. I liked it a lot! Coming from a small town with an aging population myself, this show really resonates with me.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm still curious about the "Original Work" credit given right at the beginning of the OP, it's given as Alexandre S.D. Celibidache, aka. the character best known as Sandal-kun in the show. A :google: for the name also gives nothing but references back to Sakura Quest, so it's definitely the character here, so I wonder if it means you should look further back to his VA.
The overarching theme of the story seems to be something like "improvement through outside influence, not introspection," so it might actually be a meta-experiment by P.A.Works to have an outsider (foreigner even) write their show?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The writer is credited as Masahiro Yokotani elsewhere though.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I love Sandal's episode previews.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

WOW that was a dick move at the audition. Real good episode though, I like the conclusion to Maki's arc.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah that's an almost unbelievably dickish way to reject someone.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i can't believe this show went kumamiko

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Nice to see that the whole cake shop thing got resolved, and even adressed how it's bullshit that the owners leave their shops empty, but also that forcing them to rent them is not a solution

Also LOL at the curry girl wanting to work in the cake shop, and her mom telling her that working in their cafe comes first.

I had the theory that the golden dragon would turn out to be that dragon sculpture they broke during the storm, but it makes no sense since it got fixed, and not noticing that it's made of gold would be dumb.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Can't save a town that doesn't exist. :ohdear:

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

One episode left. I am going to miss this series, even though it was never particularly great.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Once again, anime predicts reality!

Japan trials driverless cars in bid to keep rural elderly on the move

And AlexSandal is the real hero of the series.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Yeah, I kind of feel the same way. It never truly gripped me like Shirobako but it was a very nice show with characters I like and I'll miss having it to look forward to on Wednesdays

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That was a perfect ending. It was definitely a slow burn, but it all came together as a great whole. I probably couldn't have enjoyed this 10 years ago, but this was a really good display of social realism in anime form. As that I think it was much more pure than either Hanasaku Iroha or Shirobako, in that both of those were more about the characters than about their society and environment.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Good show!

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
With shows like this, I keep only realizing how much I like them when they end, and I miss them.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I'm quite glad I stuck with this show till the end.

It's certainly no Shirobako, and not as pretty or as gripping in terms of character drama as Hanasaku Iroha, but it was above all else pleasant and reasonably interesting. I learned a lot about problems facing rural Japanese towns, and I'm happy that the ending was all smiles and good feels.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

nielsm posted:

That was a perfect ending. It was definitely a slow burn, but it all came together as a great whole. I probably couldn't have enjoyed this 10 years ago, but this was a really good display of social realism in anime form. As that I think it was much more pure than either Hanasaku Iroha or Shirobako, in that both of those were more about the characters than about their society and environment.

Yeah. The characters grow on you, and I could've easily watched a second season with them, but the ending almost leaves no room for that, with having Ririko leaving to go see the world and Yoshino going to an island town to help them with their tourism troubles.

But maybe there could be a second season where we find out there's a cousin of Shiori living in the island that could be her twin, Sanae is hired to do IT consulting on the island, Ririko arrives to find an UMA with her portuguese friend, and Maki arrives with a nature documentary crew.

Anyone has PA Works number? I think my pitch could work. :v:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Mentat Radnor posted:

I'm quite glad I stuck with this show till the end.

It's certainly no Shirobako, and not as pretty or as gripping in terms of character drama as Hanasaku Iroha, but it was above all else pleasant and reasonably interesting. I learned a lot about problems facing rural Japanese towns, and I'm happy that the ending was all smiles and good feels.

:same:

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
This show had some serious ups and downs IMO, and the overall experience felt like an awkward mess to me, but the second half of that finale was really sweet. Kadota with the big "you're always welcome here" banner got me tearing up, really nice note to end on.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kal-L posted:

Yeah. The characters grow on you, and I could've easily watched a second season with them, but the ending almost leaves no room for that, with having Ririko leaving to go see the world and Yoshino going to an island town to help them with their tourism troubles.

But maybe there could be a second season where we find out there's a cousin of Shiori living in the island that could be her twin, Sanae is hired to do IT consulting on the island, Ririko arrives to find an UMA with her portuguese friend, and Maki arrives with a nature documentary crew.

Anyone has PA Works number? I think my pitch could work. :v:

Nah, it'll turn out that the island is where a famous calligrapher has decided to hide away in self-imposed exile as he tries to get over his artist's block

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
This was... pretty decent. I guess it helps to be in your twenties or older yourself, and even better if you find Depopulating Japan an interesting setting. It's obviously not as good as Shirobako, but that's a pretty high standard. I liked the ending a lot.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Agronox posted:

This was... pretty decent. I guess it helps to be in your twenties or older yourself, and even better if you find Depopulating Japan an interesting setting. It's obviously not as good as Shirobako, but that's a pretty high standard. I liked the ending a lot.

I don't think you need to care about japan's depopulation in particular to enjoy this show. As someone who lives in a pretty small town with a dwindling population a lot of this show hit home for me and I enjoyed it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Droyer posted:

I don't think you need to care about japan's depopulation in particular to enjoy this show. As someone who lives in a pretty small town with a dwindling population a lot of this show hit home for me and I enjoyed it a lot.

I agree! You don't... but it helps to.

And I quite like that there was no easy answer or fantasy-like victory. The best Yoshino and crew could do was take small steps and subtly make the town a better place.

• Locked thread