Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
Are we still dancing around what the dog pit is supposed to be? I really like that there's this blatant "in your face" DS1 callback with the gargoyles, and then immediately after it is a more subtle, but still completely clear nod to it.

Simply Simon posted:

Hell, there's dex Greatswords, dex Halberds, TWO dex Ultra Great Swords (emphasizing because that's probably two more than you'd think), only one of the Curved Greatswords is Strength (but it exists, and there are Strength Daggers, Curved Swords, Twinblades...), etc.

This actually bothers me a bit, because it takes some of the fun out of trying out new characters. The whole point of focusing on a different attack stat is that you end up being better with different weapons so you get to enjoy a new style and feel. But nope, not here, just pick your favorite weapon and use it anyway (a loving strength dagger, really?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

magikid posted:

Are we still dancing around what the dog pit is supposed to be? I really like that there's this blatant "in your face" DS1 callback with the gargoyles, and then immediately after it is a more subtle, but still completely clear nod to it.

Mazed posted:

That little kerfuffle with Vorgel the Sinner + All The Dogs is a parody of the Capra Demon fight. The "arena" is just a bigger version of the one you fight that dude in.

quote:

This actually bothers me a bit, because it takes some of the fun out of trying out new characters. The whole point of focusing on a different attack stat is that you end up being better with different weapons so you get to enjoy a new style and feel. But nope, not here, just pick your favorite weapon and use it anyway (a loving strength dagger, really?).
Who is forcing you to always use daggers no matter your statting :confused:? I sincerely don't understand your point. You simply have more options, but it's not like the game INSISTS you use them? When I say "Strength dagger", I mean that there is one dagger that scales more with Str than Dex, but not, like, A or even S. And your dex-S-scaling Curved Greatsword still requires 30+ Str to one-hand, so it's not like you can take your twirly dual dagger Assassin and just slap a giant sword on them. Though even if you could, how is this a problem?

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

Simply Simon posted:

Who is forcing you to always use daggers no matter your statting :confused:? I sincerely don't understand your point. You simply have more options, but it's not like the game INSISTS you use them? When I say "Strength dagger", I mean that there is one dagger that scales more with Str than Dex, but not, like, A or even S. And your dex-S-scaling Curved Greatsword still requires 30+ Str to one-hand, so it's not like you can take your twirly dual dagger Assassin and just slap a giant sword on them. Though even if you could, how is this a problem?

Well it definitely isn't a "problem" if you have any creativity and self-control because, yes, nothing is forcing you to use the same weapons (and I don't). And I really can't say having more options is bad. It's just that if weapon types were focused a bit more and associated with specific stats like in the previous game, it would make those stats feel more meaningful, and you would have to make a real commitment. Sort of like the difference between genuine difficulty and a self-imposed challenge. I thought that would make more sense, but it's probably not as big of a deal as I thought.

Also even the first game had everyone's favorite Balder Side Sword, which is just a generic straight sword that happens to be based on dexterity. That didn't feel a little off to anyone else?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I think the only thing that feels off for everyone with the BSS is its drop rate, lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Simply Simon posted:

I think the only thing that feels off for everyone with the BSS is its drop rate, lol

Its been like six years and I've still never seen it drop.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Its been like six years and I've still never seen it drop.

It drops lots of times. If you're doing a str run. Going Dex? Haha gently caress you

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

double nine posted:

It drops lots of times. If you're doing a str run. Going Dex? Haha gently caress you

When you go dex is when you get a Large Club from your first infested barbarian.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I can't believe I forgot about that skeleton. And I can't believe you didn't close the door again. That's just bad manners. :ohdear:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

McDragon posted:

I can't believe I forgot about that skeleton. And I can't believe you didn't close the door again. That's just bad manners. :ohdear:

Hang in there, skeleton

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Tuxedo Ted posted:

When you go dex is when you get a Large Club from your first infested barbarian.

It's funny, because it is true.

So the real Dark Sauls 1 is suffering through a faith build? All those spell vendors and high-level spells hidden behind covenants. *shudder* I can say in DS2 and SotFS it is way more fun running a FTH focused build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OutofSight posted:

It's funny, because it is true.

So the real Dark Sauls 1 is suffering through a faith build? All those spell vendors and high-level spells hidden behind covenants. *shudder* I can say in DS2 and SotFS it is way more fun running a FTH focused build.

Dark Souls 1 is a nightmare with a dex/fth if you kill Petrus without realizing that dicks you out of Rhea's spells and that most dex weapons are garbage. I ended up half-salvaging it by the end by getting a Uchi +10 and sunlight blade.

• Locked thread