Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Captain_Maclaine posted:

That'll teach me to not read posts carefully.

Actually in CSPAM if we find out you carefully read posts you get kicked out to D&D so ur good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Epic High Five posted:

Good news then, because it's tonight at 9pm, not tomorrow. I may be late so start without me, I'm being tapped to help set up tech stuff for a big event

well thats no good because im dead from some kind of flu at the moment and i barely trust myself enough to go down the stairs to get water

gently caress

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

mormonpartyboat posted:

well thats no good because im dead from some kind of flu at the moment and i barely trust myself enough to go down the stairs to get water

gently caress

well as of right now nobody has shown up in the discord so this experiment is likely dead in the cradle

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
i might feel up to writing a bunch of ~words~ about it tomorrow, or it might get pushed to the weekend depending on how my everything feels

i did enjoy it and almost finished it but im about to go take my fifth shower of the day so

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

mormonpartyboat posted:

i might feel up to writing a bunch of ~words~ about it tomorrow, or it might get pushed to the weekend depending on how my everything feels

i did enjoy it and almost finished it but im about to go take my fifth shower of the day so

Feel better, do it if you feel up to it but I guess don't expect much response.

I wasn't able to finish it but didn't want to hold everybody up. Turns out when you're promoted with a big raise they require you to do more work for them :(

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Well nobody showed, including the person who recommended the book, so I'm going to conclude that interest in CSPAM book club isn't actually there. Hopefully you guys enjoyed the book who ended up reading it.

+Klout points to all those who predicted that nobody would end up participating

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
thread reopened for low energy discussion

I liked this paragraph

We will use the slang term stiob to refer to the ironic aesthetic practiced by groups such as the Mit’ki and necrorealists. Stiob was a peculiar form of irony that differed from sarcasm, cynicism, derision, or any of the more familiar genres of absurd humor. It required such a degree of overidentification with the object, person, or idea at which this stiob was directed that it was often impossible to tell whether it was a form of sincere support, subtle ridicule, or a peculiar mixture of the two. The practitioners of stiob themselves refused to draw a line between these sentiments, producing an incredible combination of seriousness and irony, with no suggestive signs of whether it should be interpreted as the former or the latter, refusing the very dichotomy between the two.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Epic High Five posted:

well as of right now nobody has shown up in the discord so this experiment is likely dead in the cradle

Sorry, I got stuck talking about wedding planning for far longer than I'd hoped. You'd think I'd have known by now these things can get very involved!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Epic High Five posted:

Well nobody showed, including the person who recommended the book, so I'm going to conclude that interest in CSPAM book club isn't actually there. Hopefully you guys enjoyed the book who ended up reading it.

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllls

well maybe we can try again in a month or two when ostensibly people have reset. i wasn't able to join this particular book but i've bookmarked this thread for a reason.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

people will probably be even less interested in a month or two

I dunno, gimme some time to consideer it both presently and sobertly and maybe i'll do another round but right now I'm feeling pretty "people don't seem to give a poo poo so why bother" esp when I've got 2 other book clubs I'm running so i dunno

i dunno

I'll leave it ope ntho despite loogan re-opening without my consent

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Goddamnit, I have the interest, but the time went to poo poo. I'm still planning on reading it. Maybe leave the thread open and have a rolling discussion as progression warrants?

Baloogan posted:

thread reopened for low energy discussion

I liked this paragraph

We will use the slang term stiob to refer to the ironic aesthetic practiced by groups such as the Mit’ki and necrorealists. Stiob was a peculiar form of irony that differed from sarcasm, cynicism, derision, or any of the more familiar genres of absurd humor. It required such a degree of overidentification with the object, person, or idea at which this stiob was directed that it was often impossible to tell whether it was a form of sincere support, subtle ridicule, or a peculiar mixture of the two. The practitioners of stiob themselves refused to draw a line between these sentiments, producing an incredible combination of seriousness and irony, with no suggestive signs of whether it should be interpreted as the former or the latter, refusing the very dichotomy between the two.

For some reason, this puts me in mind of Stewart Lee.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Epic High Five posted:

hey dude i downloaded the ebook which is the first step towards reading it !! i've been busier than usual with work lately too.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The Great Zoo of China is a really fun airport fiction book, for whenever you guys pick more. Grapes of Wrath is obviously political but still drat good. On The Road by Kerouac was also good enough for me to do two diff book reports on it in middle/high school :hellyeah:

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
School is overt so I have free time in spades for the next book if we wanna keep this going.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVx3lt8ZKHw

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

heres another timely book. https://youtu.be/Jf-HZz5Qv8E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
The book is really interesting but unfortunately the discussion was scheduled for what would have been like 3AM in my current time zone so I wasn't able to participate.

• Locked thread