Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Stymie posted:

lol cities have globe-spanning, intricate networks of infrastructure and literally alter the climate by their mere presence, in addition to the other vast, irreversable environmental damages that their existence necessitates

"things would sure be efficient if we just paved everything whoops looks like the sea level rose, sorry millions of people"

yeah but imagine that but all over country

spreading out a population doesn't equate to a more efficient society, it's actually kind of the opposite: you'll have the same population producing the same pollution over a larger foot print with the added difficulty of how to distribute goods and services over a larger distance

At least with a city, the foot print is small and its easier to distribute supplies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
jfc you idiots

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
It's peak stymie in here

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

It's peak stymie in here

so it's only less stymie from now on?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

It's peak stymie in here

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

I can talk about dogs in here too if we want

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

also, shipping food and other resources over vast distances isn't as wasteful as you might imagine.

i don't think "cheap, but only because we ignore any externalities since they happen in the middle of the ocean" really counts as non-wasteful

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mishaq posted:

unless the anarchic-communists are eating them i don't want to hear about it

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

mishaq posted:

Dogs are good. Humanity should die out so the dogs can thrive.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

Dogs are good. Humanity should die out so the dogs can thrive.

agreed, its the owners that are terrible

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Stymie posted:

get over yourself, engineering is not programming and programming is near-universally worthless

stymie are you a dba? because you sound like a dba :911:

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
"Programming is worthless!" it screeched as it slowly shrank into a Perl script roughly the size of a deck of cards.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

the solution is clearly small communal societies organized around agriculture, like all those wildly successful ones in the 60s and 70s

im all for communal living, the free love and drug taking sounds awesome. what the problem is is what happens if i have impacted wisdom teeth? or get an infection. gently caress. maybe if you worked off site and earned a deece wage?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
if the local sawbones can't fix it you die, just like in the good 'ol days we're all pining for in here.

incidentally this means child mortality will shoot waaaaay up and most people probably won't make it to 40. but it's cool, because that's sustainable as all heck.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

im all for communal living, the free love and drug taking sounds awesome. what the problem is is what happens if i have impacted wisdom teeth? or get an infection. gently caress.

you drive an hour or two to the nearest city

echinopsis posted:

maybe if you worked off site and earned a deece wage?

this is how modern communes work

they call themselves "intentional communities" now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

find one in your area and see if they're not just recruiting in the hopes of starting a commune

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

eating each other at the end of history

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

oh so communes just externalize all the hard and important parts to real pieces of civilzation. interesting

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

blugu64 posted:

stymie are you a dba? because you sound like a dba :911:

no i have a real job where i actually do labor and produce value

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

stymie, hewer of wood, drawer of water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NLBZrbi9Ss

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Stymie posted:

no i have a real job where i actually do labor and produce value

so you're a farm app developer :v:

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
What the gently caress are you idiots talking about. Topic closed

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

communes that drive themsefls

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

creationist believer posted:

so it's only less stymie from now on?

if only

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

echinopsis posted:

im all for communal living, the free love and drug taking sounds awesome. what the problem is is what happens if i have impacted wisdom teeth? or get an infection. gently caress. maybe if you worked off site and earned a deece wage?

you go see the dentist

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

or if you're infernal machines you stay at home and whine as your teeth rot out the bottom of your head because nobody could possibly want to be a dentist if they aren't getting paid more than others for it

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's the saddest thing to see people desperately afraid that their world would come to an end if they even had to concede even a fraction of their privilege and luxury

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Stymie posted:

it's the saddest thing to see people desperately afraid that their world would come to an end if they even had to concede even a fraction of their privilege and luxury

agreed. that said, i just conceded an uncomfortably large fraction of my privilege and luxury in order to fund a bigger military and a border wall

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Stymie posted:

go gently caress off to live in your environmentally sustainable* commune then

* not actually sustainable because it'll have lovely inefficient farms and housing and poo poo that doesn't get better just because there are no skyscrapers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

atomicthumbs posted:

you go see the dentist

do u have to end up looking like this guy

• Locked thread