Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Problem description:
My current home network is set up as such:

Ground floor: Modem/router connected to phone socket with wifi on
1st floor: MacBook Air connected via wifi to the modem/router, with a thunderbolt ethernet adapter connected. An ethernet cable is running from that adapter to my PC which is receiving Internet from the MacBook Air (the Air has "Internet Sharing" enabled.)

On the PC, say every 30 to 60 seconds, I get a kind of "packet delay" where connectivity gets "stuck" for about 1.5 seconds, and then catches up with itself. It's most noticeable in Discord i.e. when somebody is speaking, their voice "holds" for the 1.5 seconds and then catches back up at a faster rate. A similar kind of thing happens in games as well, where everything freezes for 1.5 seconds and then catches up to the current point in time.

Attempted fixes: I have tried using a 2015 MacBook Pro instead of the Air and the same thing happens.

Recent changes: This is the first time I've set this network up, so not really.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64 bit on the PC, Sierra on the Mac

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, kind of hard to find anything useful as it's a hard thing to search for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd try connecting the W10 machine directly to the modem/router if possible. That would narrow the issue down at least.

• Locked thread