Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

hypoallergenic cat breed posted:

Sloth bears are my favorite type of bear just because they are so fluffy and goofy looking. They look like they'd be nice to pet before they tore your face off with their giant claws.

Well there's always spectacled bears, which apparently have no real aggression towards humans.

They're also sassy as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Guy Mann posted:

PYF Bears (the SFW kind)

Nice try, Hedrigall.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Bears are reckless drivers

"Mother. Fucker."

And a bunch of whacked out Smokeys

Dog Case has a new favorite as of 07:49 on Aug 20, 2017

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
This thread is disappointing

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

Is this closer to what you were expecting?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Guardians apparently isn't that great of a movie but were-bear dude is pretty awesome.

It's hard to go wrong with combining bears and automatic weaponry in general.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-yqvT8vKZc

https://twitter.com/KatmaiNPS/status/788431367964991488

Cover my Eyes
Mar 31, 2011
And where is my pic-a-nic basket?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Bear breaks into Colorado house, plays the piano but not very well

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

No lie, I decided to watch Grizzly Man a couple days before going backpacking and a grizzly was sniffing and snorting around our tent in a really remote part of the mountains at 4 in the morning on our first night and I legit thought I was going to die.

Didn't though, which was nice.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

No lie, I decided to watch Grizzly Man a couple days before going backpacking and a grizzly was sniffing and snorting around our tent in a really remote part of the mountains at 4 in the morning on our first night and I legit thought I was going to die.

Didn't though, which was nice.

This poo poo is why I get freaked about camping in the US and Canada. You have some gorgeous places where I'd happily camp for a week if it weren't for the giant carnivorous murder machines that also live there and apparently enjoy the taste of human flesh. At least here in Australia all I have to worry about is snakes, spiders and Ivan Milat and they're easy to escape from, drive off or kill if absolutely necessary. And the occasional kangaroo I guess but they're not on par with bears for murdering. Or moose. Those things are too big to be allowed.

That said, seeing grizzlies up close at Northwest Trek in Washington State was cool even though the Americans with me weren't understanding at all about why the giant murderbeasts were scary. :(

Bear tax

koalas aren't bears

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Korgan posted:

This poo poo is why I get freaked about camping in the US and Canada. You have some gorgeous places where I'd happily camp for a week if it weren't for the giant carnivorous murder machines that also live there and apparently enjoy the taste of human flesh. At least here in Australia all I have to worry about is snakes, spiders and Ivan Milat and they're easy to escape from, drive off or kill if absolutely necessary. And the occasional kangaroo I guess but they're not on par with bears for murdering. Or moose. Those things are too big to be allowed.

That said, seeing grizzlies up close at Northwest Trek in Washington State was cool even though the Americans with me weren't understanding at all about why the giant murderbeasts were scary. :(

This is so funny, because I'm honestly more concerned with tiny crawly fatally venomous critters hiding in my shoes than defensive megafauna getting up in my face. I've come face to face with bears and moose while on foot and have been fortunate enough that nothing ever went bad, we respected each other's spaces and continued on with life. I can easily avoid any encounters by talking loudly because these animals are legit scared by human sounds, your spiders and snakes don't flee the area from your voice!

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

This is so funny, because I'm honestly more concerned with tiny crawly fatally venomous critters hiding in my shoes than defensive megafauna getting up in my face. I've come face to face with bears and moose while on foot and have been fortunate enough that nothing ever went bad, we respected each other's spaces and continued on with life. I can easily avoid any encounters by talking loudly because these animals are legit scared by human sounds, your spiders and snakes don't flee the area from your voice!

Snakes flee if you stomp around! Except the brown snake. That one chases you. And is really venomous. Spiders won't go you unless you brush up against their web or sit on their toilet or walk near their trap door, so you're honestly perfectly fine. Nobody's died from a spider bite in Australia in decades, we've got all the antivenin sorted out. And we have really good healthcare.

Closest I've gotten to a snake is a red belly black snake deciding my dog's bowl was a good spot to curl up when I was like 6, and hiking Wilson's Promontory and almost stumbling over a snake which then slithered off into the bush. At least I saw it, unlike the two people ahead of me who stepped over it. Probably been near more but again, stomping around hiking means they'll leave you alone.

Bears though. Something that big with that much strength and lust for meat who may decide my impression of a loud scared crying man is pitiful enough for it to walk off, or may decide to eat me to shut me up. No wonder all the Americans carry guns all the time.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

I've never had a bear crawl out from a dark corner in my house or be waiting for me in a fold in the blankets on the bed.

Good news! Washington mainly has black bears, which are mostly afraid of people and will leave you alone. There are maybe 20 or so grizzlies, which will usually leave you alone but might also wreck your poo poo and eat you if they feel like it.

Well now there are plans in the works to increase your chances of being eaten if you're out hiking or camping in the North Cascades:

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/grizzly-bears-in-the-north-cascades-feds-release-draft-plan-to-restore-population/

Grizzlys are cool so here's a cool famous one; Bart the Bear.

If you ever saw an '80s or '90s movie with a huge rear end menacing grizzly, it was probably Bart.

Also he was an Academy Awards presenter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehDLFNmpFtM

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
This was a fun one from a couple of years back.

Bear gets in to High School

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

The commonly believed story of Smokey Bear being found as a cub burned in a forest fire and later becoming a mascot actually happened the other way around; the mascot was created in 1944 and the cub was found in 1950 and named after the Smokey character.

The real live Smokey ended up living at the National Zoo for 26 years, where he received so many fan letters that he was given his own zip code (20252).

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Dog Case posted:

Grizzlys are cool so here's a cool famous one; Bart the Bear.

If you ever saw an '80s or '90s movie with a huge rear end menacing grizzly, it was probably Bart.

Also he was an Academy Awards presenter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehDLFNmpFtM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnOHz1U6xNs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

The Short Faced (or Nosed) Bear was loving huge and may have delayed early human's arrival in North America by eating them.

They could reach up to 12 feet high and may have weighed over 2000 pounds, making them possibly the largest carnivorous land mammal to ever live in North America.

• Locked thread