Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

buglord posted:

I'm at a segment in my audiobook where the conversation went to the Nazi branches of the armed forces. Apparently they didn't work so harmoniously and event went as far to sabotage eachother? And contrary to what I thought, not only did nazis plunder, but they thought of that as a substitution for sustaining the axis throughout the war?

To some degree I've heard the same, but it was nothing like Japan's hilarious inter-service squabbling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

buglord posted:

I'm at a segment in my audiobook where the conversation went to the Nazi branches of the armed forces. Apparently they didn't work so harmoniously and event went as far to sabotage eachother? And contrary to what I thought, not only did nazis plunder, but they thought of that as a substitution for sustaining the axis throughout the war?

That's not just limited to the Nazis, either - the two branches of the Imperial Japanese military hated each other even more, often outright refusing to cooperate. Inter-service rivalries are common, as different branches squabble over resources and fight to define the country's strategic priorities, but it was worse in Germany and Japan due to the way things were led. In Germany, Hitler liked to purposely set up vague high-level command structures and let various officials squabble and compete against each other to win his favor - it often caused chaos for the lower-level officials and officers, but kept all the high-ranking folks too busy scheming against each other to scheme against Hitler. In Japan, it was even worse because the country was essentially run by the military; there wasn't really anyone with the authority to tell them to cut it out, and anyone who tried was likely to end up assassinated at the hands of some overenthusiastic junior officer (poo poo was wild in Imperial Japan).

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, there's many examples in history of countries where the military became a state within the state, but Imperial Japan is the only one I know of where the military became two states within the state.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

People tend to only talk about tanks and planes and not the absolutely enormous amounts of industrial and logistical supplies. Perhaps they didn't turn the tide but that certainly helped save time and soviet lives. You can't do Bagration without trucks and fuel and boots and trains.

also if anyone wants to read about/discuss WW2 things that aren't extended a-bomb chat or hot takes about how nobody has ever heard of the eastern front (haha dumb americans am i right), you should prolly just read the a/t milhist thread.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Knowing about the different guages of Russian and German rail.

That isn't fair because that was an actual problem and logistics you say?

Supplying War: Logistics from Wallenstein to Patton 2nd Edition

It talks a bit about German operations in Russia, June-December 1941, the North AFrican Thearte with Rommel, and the Allies advance towards Germany.

AmyL fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 19, 2017

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

axeil posted:

This book on the rise of Nazis in a small German town I think would make a very good reading recommendation:

The Nazi Seizure of Power: The Experience of a Single German Town, 1922-1945, Revised Edition

by William Sheridan Allen

https://www.amazon.com/Nazi-Seizure-Power-Experience-1922-1945/dp/1626548722

This book details how a small German everytown went from fairly normal to a hotbed of Nazi activity. This was not caused by widespread class agitation but rather the middle class abandoning their old parties and joining up with the Nazis out of fear. The book details the methods the Nazis used in the town and how they adapted to what worked and what did not work. There is also a fair amount of discussion of what methods were used to oppose the Nazis and what alternate strategies could have been used that would've been more successful. Extensive primary sources are used and it also has tons of charts and graphs.

https://www.amazon.com/Blitzed-Drugs-Germany-Norman-Ohler/dp/0241256992

This was also incredibly good book about drugs in Nazi Germany. Also details the personal relation of Hitler with his dealer and personal physician Theodor Morell, and exactly what complete junkie the A-man was. It's also darkly funny, although that might just be me finding Nazis funny to begin with.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

lollontee posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Blitzed-Drugs-Germany-Norman-Ohler/dp/0241256992

This was also incredibly good book about drugs in Nazi Germany. Also details the personal relation of Hitler with his dealer and personal physician Theodor Morell, and exactly what complete junkie the A-man was. It's also darkly funny, although that might just be me finding Nazis funny to begin with.

Yeah, that's a pretty cool book. I went to a kind of book tour event at my library when the author was in town. Seemed like a pretty cool guy and he had many interesting things to say about doing research for the book, but what I remember most was the little tidbit about Himmler who was practically the only one in the inner circle not to have been hooked up with a bunch of quack remedies from Doc Morell, instead it was noted that he spent something like 3 hours every morning doing yoga.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

buglord posted:

Lately I’ve been listening to an audiobook called The Nuremberg Trials by Ann and John Tusa. I initially picked it up because I dont know how you can attempt to make a not-show-trial while also trying to make a legal precedent for the future by making some examples out of Nazis. While the book is pretty informative so far (and also a really entertaining listen), its just adding more and more complexity to something which was already pretty confusing. Like, there was about 7-8 hours of background information before the book discussed the first day of the trial.

There’s still so much more ground to cover, but I think the weirdest thing is how much infighting occurred between the allies with regard to which country gets the “lions share” of floor time and gets to show the most new information first. Then you have the allies trying to devise a trial that essentially keeps the ball in their court, while also trying hard (and not so hard) to give the Nazis the right to defense and testimony, but only to a limited capacity. And then the Soviet Union is one of the less immaculate countries that participated in the war, and could basically be also guilty for a laundry list of war crimes...so how to do you prevent the Nazis from turning that around and crying poor?

There’s still another 15 hours of this book, but Christ this case is gigantic and it had to be freaking nuts to be in the court room all 200-something days, hearing and seeing all sorts of insane testimonies and now-historical speeches.

I'm near the end of this book, and I think it's worth it just to go into how each of the defendants did their case. You see some that really tried, you see Hess, who was uhhhhhhh, and then Keitel who was an idiot.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Panzeh posted:

I'm near the end of this book, and I think it's worth it just to go into how each of the defendants did their case. You see some that really tried, you see Hess, who was uhhhhhhh, and then Keitel who was an idiot.
I finished the book a few days ago. From what I've learned, I'm surprised how well it was pulled off, in spite of the many valid criticisms and concerns going against it. But I agree, the profiles of the defendants were probably the best bits of the book. Hess creeped everyone out because of his gaunt scarecrow look and weird mannerisms, and then Streicher who was half naked all the time while incarcerated and was hated by all the other defendants because of how physically repulsive he was. The silly part was after 2 of the Nazis were acquitted, there were German police cars outside of the Palace of Justice which immediately apprehended both (after a hide and seek), then arrested them.

The book despite how much I liked it had some really boring parts for me. In its defense, the trial had some really boring parts for observers at the time too. But there was this 4-5 hour slog where the "lesser" defendants, like Nazi industrialists, became the focus. Following the ringleaders, they employed the same tactics that everyone else did "I didn't know it was happening/I was just obeying orders/Versailles made us do it/Hitler & Himmler made us do it". I don't know how the judges put up with that the 20th time without completely going bonkers. Except Jackson sorta did half way through when Göring smeared him across the rug, which I imagine was very uncomfortable to watch if you were team allies.

Also its wild how much the Soviet Union cooperated (with a bit of encouragement). Throughout WW2, they seemed dead set on really doing their own thing all the time. Its a little weird that they decided to mostly play nice and play their role in the IMT.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

buglord posted:

I finished the book a few days ago. From what I've learned, I'm surprised how well it was pulled off, in spite of the many valid criticisms and concerns going against it. But I agree, the profiles of the defendants were probably the best bits of the book. Hess creeped everyone out because of his gaunt scarecrow look and weird mannerisms, and then Streicher who was half naked all the time while incarcerated and was hated by all the other defendants because of how physically repulsive he was. The silly part was after 2 of the Nazis were acquitted, there were German police cars outside of the Palace of Justice which immediately apprehended both (after a hide and seek), then arrested them.

The book despite how much I liked it had some really boring parts for me. In its defense, the trial had some really boring parts for observers at the time too. But there was this 4-5 hour slog where the "lesser" defendants, like Nazi industrialists, became the focus. Following the ringleaders, they employed the same tactics that everyone else did "I didn't know it was happening/I was just obeying orders/Versailles made us do it/Hitler & Himmler made us do it". I don't know how the judges put up with that the 20th time without completely going bonkers. Except Jackson sorta did half way through when Göring smeared him across the rug, which I imagine was very uncomfortable to watch if you were team allies.

Also its wild how much the Soviet Union cooperated (with a bit of encouragement). Throughout WW2, they seemed dead set on really doing their own thing all the time. Its a little weird that they decided to mostly play nice and play their role in the IMT.

I think replacing some of the identikit defenses with examinations of similar, less fair postwar trials would've strengthened the book's argument but I definitely understand why they wanted to make sure every defendant's story was told. Still, the section about Goering breaking Jackson in the witness box despite this doing absolutely nothing for his defense was great, as was the parts on the defendants who actually were defended effectively and took the trial seriously. I think it's quite telling to the fairness of the trial that all the defendants who tried any kind of defense that wasn't spelled out as invalid by the IMT avoided execution, even ones as disingenuous as Speer's.

I'm also surprised at how cooperative the Soviets were. They sometimes blurted out weird poo poo, probably via cables from Stalin but they were attentive to the desire for as fair a trial as possible and did so. Ironically, Jackson's style seemed far more geared toward a show trial than a real trial, probably because he hadn't run trials in forever.

I'm of a mind that Doenitz should've been acquitted based on what the judgement actually said and how the trial went, but there's no way they were going to acquit Hitler's chosen successor. Kranzbuhler in his essay basically said as such but also remarked that it was certainly better than the alternative, which was summary execution or a show trial in the Soviet model.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Panzeh posted:

I'm also surprised at how cooperative the Soviets were. They sometimes blurted out weird poo poo, probably via cables from Stalin .

The soviets provided us with the best gaffe during the whole trial though. Soviet prosecutors were drinking in a ballroom with the U.S and British prosecution teams, where they were making drunken toasts to eachother. Those cheesy sort of toasts: here's to world peace, a great evening, prosperity, and so on. Then the soviets propose a toast to the swift death to all the Nazi defendants. Before the translator could get a word in, the allies loudly and unknowingly toasted to the proposal of a show trial.

From what I recall, damage control was done pretty effectively so the event remained a sitcom-style hiccup. If the Germans caught wind of it, I can only imagine how much the trail would lose legitimacy, since the trial was still in its infancy, where the world was skeptical of its actual fairness and feasibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

buglord posted:

The soviets provided us with the best gaffe during the whole trial though. Soviet prosecutors were drinking in a ballroom with the U.S and British prosecution teams, where they were making drunken toasts to eachother. Those cheesy sort of toasts: here's to world peace, a great evening, prosperity, and so on. Then the soviets propose a toast to the swift death to all the Nazi defendants. Before the translator could get a word in, the allies loudly and unknowingly toasted to the proposal of a show trial.

From what I recall, damage control was done pretty effectively so the event remained a sitcom-style hiccup. If the Germans caught wind of it, I can only imagine how much the trail would lose legitimacy, since the trial was still in its infancy, where the world was skeptical of its actual fairness and feasibility.

I don't know man it sounded like it was a random toast. I don't even if it got out it would have mattered.

Also, damage control probably was effective because the press was completely under the thumb of the allies and they probably could have said anything they wanted at the party.

• Locked thread