Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Echoing what's been said already, Outlast 2 was kind of garbage. Tons of trial and error gameplay, shifty battery life on your camera and hard to make out paths made it tedious instead of scary and it felt sooooo long. Everything except the visuals was a step back in quality from the first game. I'm honestly kind of impressed at how badly they messed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If I'm at the part where I'm trying to shut off the power while some naked lady is chasing me around (gently caress this part btw) how much more do I have?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

veni veni veni posted:

If I'm at the part where I'm trying to shut off the power while some naked lady is chasing me around (gently caress this part btw) how much more do I have?

You're just about at the end, after that section there's one last short part.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finally got around to finishing the last part and wow that loving game sucked. Like, the production values and voice acting and everything were good but the gameplay design was so absolutely rotten I'd say it was just about the least enjoyable game I've ever played.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This game seems to have captured virtually nothing about what made Outlast 1 a fantastic game and that makes me pretty sad. Even down to the most basic things such as being able to tell what doors you can and can't open at a glance during a chase because ones you can open are cracked slightly. Outlast 1 had that and for some reason 2 just doesn't. All the little things like that just pile up into a pretty unsatisfying game, unfortunately.

edit: Also, I think this one would have been massively improved by allowing you to carry around one (1) of the five billion makeshift weapons around the village/mines/etc at a time as rare single use get-out-of-insta-death-grab-free cards. There are so many enemies in this game that just kill you instantly if they get within 5 feet of you and that really sucks so it would have been nice to have some way to mitigate that a little bit.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 13, 2017

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Single-use weapons to get out of instant death grabs is a pretty great idea actually. Definitely would've made the game both make more sense and be less irritating.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really want to know what happened to the hiding that was in the first one. There are things to hide in everywhere but they all feel useless and hiding in a barrel or closet almost never felt like the way to go, no one ever followed me into those little shacks...

Outlast was mostly a hide and seek stealth games and the chase sequences usually capped off a slower sneaking around segment for dramatic effect. OL2 didn't really have anything set in stone. You could run or hide everywhere, but hiding was almost never useful and running is never fun because you are running without an exit plan until you stumble on it.

To the games credit I did think the lake river sequence was awesome. Can't really think of another part I thought was fun though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I also felt like there were several sequences that were put in as "how do we go farther than Outlast 1" first and "is this really something the player will actually want to experience" second, which is... not great, at certain key points in the story.

edit: Like I get it, it's a good way to make your game world feel darker than pitch black darkness, but I really don't wanna listen to my wife be raped, Outlast developers. I am usually a proponent of "hey they can do whatever they want, video games aren't real nor impressionable and therefore are perfect for exploring taboo concepts"... But I just don't think that's something that can ever be entertaining, which is what I am more concerned about re: a video game's sense of escapism.

I think it's very different than Outlast 1's appeal to the fear of masculinity and emasculation because while that wasn't strictly for entertainment either, it touched on a very different kind of fear than this game does at many points. Outlast 1 goes to great lengths to put real fears into situations that can't happen, and 2 tries to do that and sails just barely wide of the mark, so all that stuff just felt uncomfortable to me.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 13, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. The part where you find the raped and beaten woman, literally covered in meticulously detailed poo poo and blood, just to do nothing, make a snide remark, and see her ripped limb from limb 5 minutes later crossed a line for me.

It's also catching some poo poo right now because someone uncovered a very graphic audio file of the priest raping Jessica. To be fair it was cut, but it shows that these guys maybe don't know where the line is in the first place. Like, don't put a child rape in your horror game guys, jeez.

Although I guess the first game had a lot of pretty extreme sexual violence as well but it was all men and I didn't complain about that so it seems a bit hypocritical.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wouldn't say it's hypocritical because there is a difference, and it's not just it happening to men vs women. I think the sexual violence itself is not necessarily the problem, it's more to do with the context it's being used in regarding the world and the player. Outlast 1 doesn't use rape as a tactic for making the player feel helpless. It happens in the game world and is implied through dialogue/audio logs, but it's kept away from you and your goings-on at all costs. The one time it almost happens to you, the protagonist escapes. It's given some nuance by the complexity of the situation (male only psychiatric hospital with no chance of escape) and most importantly not happening directly to you.

2 does it continually throughout, and the difference is that directly involving you in it is just a tactic meant to scare you deeper than just having it mentioned could do. It's to make you say "my wife is being raped right now and I can't help her" and make you feel awful and frightened. And that's worse and not really kosher imo because it does work to scare you as in 1, sure, but only because it's a lovely psychological trick this time around. It's taking advantage of the real life fear of helplessness regarding rape to make you scared, instead of using the concept itself to scare you, and that sucks. It's I Spit On Your Grave levels of inconsiderate.

Nobody said that horror had to be classy or considerate but there has to be more than just a really simple appeal to pathos with something like that or else it comes across as very shallow and ugly.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 13, 2017

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

CJacobs posted:

I wouldn't say it's hypocritical because there is a difference, and it's not just it happening to men vs women. I think the sexual violence itself is not necessarily the problem, it's more to do with the context it's being used in regarding the world and the player. Outlast 1 doesn't use rape as a tactic for making the player feel helpless. It happens in the game world and is implied through dialogue/audio logs, but it's kept away from you and your goings-on at all costs. The one time it almost happens to you, the protagonist escapes. It's given some nuance by the complexity of the situation (male only psychiatric hospital with no chance of escape) and most importantly not happening directly to you.

2 does it continually throughout, and the difference is that directly involving you in it is just a tactic meant to scare you deeper than just having it mentioned could do. It's to make you say "my wife is being raped right now and I can't help her" and make you feel awful and frightened. And that's worse and not really kosher imo because it does work to scare you as in 1, sure, but only because it's a lovely psychological trick this time around. It's taking advantage of the real life fear of helplessness regarding rape to make you scared, instead of using the concept itself to scare you, and that sucks. It's I Spit On Your Grave levels of inconsiderate.

Nobody said that horror had to be classy or considerate but there has to be more than just a really simple appeal to pathos with something like that or else it comes across as very shallow and ugly.

Child rape is never good in any circumstance, SA forums user CJacobs.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That's not what he said at all?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I blew the first one yesterday in one sitting and enjoyed it for the most part, but I've always HATED trial and error game play with a passion going all the way back to the original Tomb Raider. There was a lot I liked about Outlast 1 but, yeah, SOME weapons would be nice - or anything that you could use and improvise a little bit with. A fire extinguisher, a hammer, a nail gun, a 2x4...something. Alien: Isolation at least gave a few ways to buy some time even though you couldn't kill the alien.

Parts of it were frustrating, especially near the end. I especially HATED that segments where you get back outside and it's dark and raining and that bullshit teleporting phantom monster thing. Reading what you guys are posting has got me worried about #2 but I'm still gonna give it a shot. First game did enough right that I'm still intrigued but if I have to die 5 times or look up a Let's Play to figure out what to do, I'm not gonna like it.

Are the clues and the navigation that non-obvious?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Yes. They'd probably be more obvious in other circumstances...it's almost like that part of the design still had the slower paced Outlast 1 in mind, when that's not what Outlast 2 is. The primary two problems as I see it with spotting navigational clues in Outlast 2 are that most of the time when you need them you're 1. Running and 2. In very dark places, both of which when combined make it pretty hard to see where you're supposed to go. Even with night vision on, the night vision tends to make everything that green color so even if everything's appearing brighter the individual things you need to spot to keep going don't stand out as much.

FatalT
Sep 11, 2001

I'm BLUE da ba dee da ba di, da ba dee da ba di, da ba dee...
I bought it on PS4 and marathoned through it as soon as Sony finally got their poo poo together and activated the game but eh. I kinda wish I had my $30 back. There better be some amazing DLC for this game. Like was the baby real? Your wife said "There's nothing there" when you showed it to her but the head cult guy definitely saw it. Are they sharing the same hallucination from the radio waves? I need answers dammit! I did enjoy the apocalyptic scenario of raining blood, crazy lightning storms, and human sacrifices though. Definitely Bible Revelations-like.

I'm sure they'll do a DLC but with all the negative impressions, perhaps not. Or maybe they'll just take those impressions and make something akin to Whistleblower, there the original Outlast had less "action" and was more subdued where the DLC was balls to the wall madness. Either way I'm still interested in the series but the chase sequences and gameplay loop has definitely gotten stale. At least you could lock doors in this one and push more objects in front of them, as well as actually CRAWL. That definitely made hiding under beds easier and more fluid.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I enjoy the fact it makes people sperg about edgyness.

E:The groom was my favorite thing about outlast and a great subversion. 2 is a bit much but I really don't care.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

FatalT posted:

was the baby real? Your wife said "There's nothing there" when you showed it to her but the head cult guy definitely saw it. Are they sharing the same hallucination from the radio waves?

Whole game and town is getting hit with the engine. Hallucinations is just the engine showing you all your bad memories. There's another note near the start of the game where one of the villagers talk about how they dream about how they killed all their babies. There's another note about the radio tower that's pretty easy to miss, I talked about a few pages back.

Maybe the head cult guy saw the baby maybe he didn't all he says is that he cant kill the baby.

Tenzarin posted:

There's like one document that talks about the Murkoff Corporation from the first game and that's all it connected on. I had to look it up but it talks about Jennifer Roland who is talked about in a document in Outlast Whistleblower to had transferred out of the asylum when they found out the Morphogenic Engine could induce pregnancies in the female employees of the Murkoff Corporation. Supposedly all the fog horn induced dream sequences are coming from a radio tower you never get to go to which could all be run off from the Morphogenic Engine making the player and all the villages insane but is never explained and this is just my guess. The radio tower is talked about in the document 'Old Traveler' on the left side of the lake before you use the raft (Chapter 3: Lamentations). So maybe the radio tower or whatever it's part of, is going to be the DLC and it's all connected with super science again.

I'm guessing all the biblical warning signs of the apocalypse and the baby at the end are all just part of the hallucinations of the Morphogenic Engine somehow showering this little village. They talk about how the girl that leads them there had mercury in her blood that would come from a large scale operation and take years of exposure but the biggest thing they have is the mines. The mines didn't look like it was running much anymore.

I think their plan was to release this game and have it be confusing so they can release another DLC that explains it all so people can go, "wow its so deep".

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I finally got around to watching this, and confused the "On Air" box for something ingame. It didn't make sense what with the protagonist's battery status, etc etc but I really like the idea of a first-person camera streaming in a horror game and stream comments and subscribers climbing whenever something bad happens onscreen, and maybe having readable comments ingame, like how a lot of games have someone on voiceover telling you what to do and giving you exposition.

• Locked thread