Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

When I try to boot my PC, the fans come on, but the display will state "no signal detected". This has been happening intermittently for a while, but now it just doesnt boot anymore. Well, I got it to boot a few times out like 50 tries, but in those cases the fans on my GPU didn't turn on - WTF! My guess: The PSU is toast (it's seven years old), but I'm not sure and I don't want to shell out for a new one just like that - maybe something on the GPU is hosed? Anyway, here are my specs:

Problem description: see above

Attempted fixes: Took graphics card out, put it in again, unplugged case fans to see if the reduced power load would help the machine boot (it didn't).

Recent changes: None that I can think of

Operating system: Windows 7 64 bit

System specs: i5 from 2013, running at 4Ghz, Asus Strix 970, 16 Gigs of Corsair RAM, 2x Samsung SSDs, Seasonic S12D 750W PSU (from early 2010)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, but I didn't happen upon any conclusive fixes. What else could I try to find out what's wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
The GPU fans won't spin up until ~60c, so don't worry about that!

Does your motherboard have any video ports? Try using one of those and booting your computer a few times to see if we get the dreaded "no signal detected".
The motherboard video ports use the integrated graphics on the CPU, bypassing the GPU.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Thanks, will try that today!

And I'm not sure about the fans, they usually do spin constantly (and inaudibly) at a very low speed. Might have a chance to try a different PSU today too.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Wengy posted:

And I'm not sure about the fans, they usually do spin constantly (and inaudibly) at a very low speed.

That's a little strange, since it's one of the advertised features. Did you make a custom fan profile for it?

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/STRIXGTX970DC2OC4GD5/ posted:

DirectCU II with 0dB fan technology lets you enjoy light games in complete silence, and hardcore gaming 30% cooler with 3X-quieter performance!

...And Strix ups the ante still further with 0dB fan technology that lets you enjoy games like League of Legends® and StarCraft® in complete silence — because the fan stops completely when the GPU temperature remains below a set level.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Apr 26, 2017

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

PROBLEM SOLVED

Put in a different PSU, and boom - everything works as it should. Just as I suspected, my trusty old Seasonic can't hack it anymore. Thanks for replying, Actuarial Fables! :)

• Locked thread