Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!
There's art in 40k, it's just all religious art. Statues of saints that are literally miles tall, glorious catherdrals, etc. The point of reference being the dark ages and, perhaps a glimmer of the Renaissance.

The Imperium aren't good guys. As a whole they're as bad as Chaos, and their actions feed it. But they do have heroes. Likewise the Craftworld Eldar and Tau, in different ways.

Grim Darkness, Thirsting Gods, etc. Although a lot of that is just the original material being reframed as a brand. Like when you look into psykers being 'sacrificed' to the Emperor, and it turns out they spend years preparing for the level of enlightenment it takes to offer their essence to the Golden Throne through gradual, tranquil meditation, and the ones who don't make it become teachers. No one realizes this because it's forbidden psyker business, of course.

The essential thesis of a lot of the material is also actually anachro-primitivism; the Old Ones went tribal and the Craftworld Eldar exist to protect the Exodites who live in tribal communities on maiden worlds. The Space Marines tend to recruit from tribal populations as well, serving as protective gods who ascend the greatest warriors to their ranks. It's one of the many ways the influence of Dune on the original material shows itself.

It's weird and crazy; there are diamonds buried in the rough.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 00:28 on May 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Hodgepodge posted:

There's art in 40k, it's just all religious art. Statues of saints that are literally miles tall, glorious catherdrals, etc. The point of reference being the dark ages and, perhaps a glimmer of the Renaissance.

The Imperium aren't good guys. As a whole they're as bad as Chaos, and their actions feed it. But they do have heroes. Likewise the Craftworld Eldar and Tau, in different ways.

Grim Darkness, Thirsting Gods, etc. Although a lot of that is just the original material being reframed as a brand. Like when you look into psykers being 'sacrificed' to the Emperor, and it turns out they spend years preparing for the level of enlightenment it takes to offer their essence to the Golden Throne through gradual, tranquil meditation, and the ones who don't make it become teachers. No one realizes this because it's forbidden psyker business, of course.

The essential thesis of a lot of the material is also actually anachro-primitivism; the Old Ones went tribal and the Craftworld Eldar exist to protect the Exodites who live in tribal communities on maiden worlds. The Space Marines tend to recruit from tribal populations as well, serving as protective gods who ascend the greatest warriors to their ranks. It's one of the many ways the influence of Dune on the original material shows itself.

It's weird and crazy; there are diamonds buried in the rough.

pretty much. there are no good guys. there are decent enough individuals but even they are monsters in one way or another.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

There are no good guys because it's a wargame setting, come on now. If humanity gives up its religious superstitions and starts doing science again, then there won't be any more basis for eternal war. Humanity would be insurmountably dominant.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Yeah I guess I forget. I'm used to looking at the warhammer universes through pen and paper games.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

There are no good guys because it's a wargame setting, come on now. If humanity gives up its religious superstitions and starts doing science again, then there won't be any more basis for eternal war. Humanity would be insurmountably dominant.

Nah, you could still have war. It would just be an unremarkable sci-fi war that could just as easily be Star Wars tabletop or something.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Hodgepodge posted:

Nah, you could still have war. It would just be an unremarkable sci-fi war that could just as easily be Star Wars tabletop or something.

Most other races are developmentally stagnant except the Tau, but the Tau don't have the numbers or the speed to dominate the galaxy. A scientifically advanced humanity with weight of numbers would be undefeatable. At that point there aren't any real stakes in conflict, and you suck all the dramatic tension out of the setting.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Baloogan posted:

theres a great tradition of insane libertarian space crap that gets super short changed in this era of terminal wokeness. but yeah tron guy is a fat old cuck and why o why does anyone care what he has to say

tron guy is a convention staple, like asscracks at a magic the gathering tournament

this is devastating to the sci fi community

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Most other races are developmentally stagnant except the Tau, but the Tau don't have the numbers or the speed to dominate the galaxy. A scientifically advanced humanity with weight of numbers would be undefeatable. At that point there aren't any real stakes in conflict, and you suck all the dramatic tension out of the setting.

Most other races are so far ahead of humanity technologically that they either use magic technology (Eldar) or technology that is indistinguishable from magic (Necrons). Also the Orks and the Tyranids would still be there.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Hodgepodge posted:

Most other races are so far ahead of humanity technologically that they either use magic technology (Eldar) or technology that is indistinguishable from magic (Necrons). Also the Orks and the Tyranids would still be there.

The only reason irks and tyranids are a threat is because humanity is too ignorant to develop new bio weapons for them. The eldar & necrons are has-been races too and don't really matter anymore. They can't get anymore advanced but the imperium doesn't have too much trouble killing them anyway.

Everything in 40k hinges on humanity being ignorant enough to keep feeding chaos, and to fight orks with conventional weapons.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

I too oppose ...discouraging sexual assault? The gently caress is this guy even on about?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The only reason irks and tyranids are a threat is because humanity is too ignorant to develop new bio weapons for them. The eldar & necrons are has-been races too and don't really matter anymore. They can't get anymore advanced but the imperium doesn't have too much trouble killing them anyway.

Everything in 40k hinges on humanity being ignorant enough to keep feeding chaos, and to fight orks with conventional weapons.

The only evidence that bio-weapons would work on the Orks and Tyranids is Xenology, a one-shot lorebook that is selectively ignored and has already had its conclusion superceded by new material. The Orks are arguably the galaxy's dominant race, and the Tyranids haven't even finished showing up in the galaxy, and fighting each other makes the winner stronger.

The Eldar are a dying race, but the Necrons are just waking up. Both have technology that humanity would take millenia to recreate if they started trying. The Necrons tend to make Mechanicus characters question their faith because their technology is so advanced and refined. Also they keep little pieces of their gods locked up in case they need to let them out to kill things.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Hodgepodge posted:

The only evidence that bio-weapons would work on the Orks and Tyranids is Xenology, a one-shot lorebook that is selectively ignored and has already had its conclusion superceded by new material. The Orks are arguably the galaxy's dominant race, and the Tyranids haven't even finished showing up in the galaxy, and fighting each other makes the winner stronger.

The Eldar are a dying race, but the Necrons are just waking up. Both have technology that humanity would take millenia to recreate if they started trying. The Necrons tend to make Mechanicus characters question their faith because their technology is so advanced and refined. Also they keep little pieces of their gods locked up in case they need to let them out to kill things.

And yet you can still beat them with imperial guards on the tabletop. Why are you making so many excuses for 40k? Is it hitting you?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

And yet you can still beat them with imperial guards on the tabletop. Why are you making so many excuses for 40k? Is it hitting you?

It turns out that when you converge the beams of lots of flashlights in 40k, the result is like firing the Death Star :shrug:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The Orks are the heroes of 40k. They are the only race having any fun in the galaxy, and enjoy endless war for endless war's sake. The Tau were also the good guys until they went all mind control with the Ethereals. The Imperial Guard are great solely because they nightmares from beyond space and time with flashlights and still manage to hold the line. They collectively make the Space Marines look stupid and superfluous, which is great because I really hate Space Marines.

Hodgepodge posted:

There's this series you should check out, you probably haven't heard of it...

You have come to a world called Gor *whipcrack*

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Not a Step posted:

The Orks are the heroes of 40k. They are the only race having any fun in the galaxy, and enjoy endless war for endless war's sake. The Tau were also the good guys until they went all mind control with the Ethereals. The Imperial Guard are great solely because they nightmares from beyond space and time with flashlights and still manage to hold the line. They collectively make the Space Marines look stupid and superfluous, which is great because I really hate Space Marines.

I liked Space Marines best in early Dark Heresy, as distant legends who might show up from time to time as an awesome event. Conversely, in the Ascension material it gets a little lame because they decided that PCs who aren't Space Marines couldn't be as awesome as they are for some reason. Give them a squad to command or something, guys. Of course, they accidentally made Explorators on par with Space Marines in other material.

quote:

You have come to a world called Gor *whipcrack*

I was referring to ASoIaF, but I guess the old joke about goons always recommending that has kind of aged poorly now that it's a mainstream thing.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I ran across some Gor stuff when I was an unsupervised kid on the internet, and, uh, that poo poo has probably wrecked more than a few brains. It was a nice flag for 'this community is insane' though.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Not a Step posted:

I ran across some Gor stuff when I was an unsupervised kid on the internet, and, uh, that poo poo has probably wrecked more than a few brains. It was a nice flag for 'this community is insane' though.

Worst part of Gor is the author isn't just writing his fetish, he's writing what he sees as the best, most natural form of human society possible.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I read like the first dozen Gor books at one point and those get real freaky around 7 or 8.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Gor could pass as horror for feminists.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Counterpoint: Roko's Basilisk proves that even if humanity did give up religion in favor of science we'd totally end up worshipping something like the emperor or the omnissiah.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!
No mention of Gor is complete without the masterpiece Houseplants of Gor.

super sweet best pal posted:

Counterpoint: Roko's Basilisk proves that even if humanity did give up religion in favor of science we'd totally end up worshipping something like the emperor or the omnissiah.

Roko's Basilisk doesn't really prove anything besides the enduring value of falsifiability and the enduring preference of online "rationalists" for elaborate thought experiments over rationalism.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 12:43 on May 7, 2017

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol at anyone who thinks that there would be no conflict if we'd just worship science. Like, how strong does your autism have to be to think like this?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

oliwan posted:

lol at anyone who thinks that there would be no conflict if we'd just worship science. Like, how strong does your autism have to be to think like this?

"picard > Kirk" lvl autism

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
science is pretty loving terrible but then again my headphones just went through the wash and the dryer and still work so :shrug: maybe it aint so bad

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hodgepodge posted:

Roko's Basilisk doesn't really prove anything besides the enduring value of falsifiability and the enduring preference of online "rationalists" for elaborate thought experiments over rationalism.

is the water sex

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Y'all haven't been keeping up with all the crazy changes in 40k cause the Imperium has changed fairly radically since the fall of Cadia

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I haven't been keeping up with GW official changes since they destroyed my favorite setting

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

is the water sex

:heysexy:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

jesus gently caress. i remember talking to some lady who was into Gor. its loving weird and creepy and all the dudes who are into it look like davis aurini. so whats its deal, from my cusory reasearch it reads like Robert E. Howard/Edgar Rice Burroughs pulp but with really really hosed up sex stuff.

Dapper_Swindler has issued a correction as of 17:13 on May 7, 2017

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Venom Snake posted:

Y'all haven't been keeping up with all the crazy changes in 40k cause the Imperium has changed fairly radically since the fall of Cadia

yeah, it turns out you're completely and utterly hosed and 10,000 years of victories were actually strategic losses you didn't understand, filthy xenos who also just want to not get eaten by daemons look a lot more like friends

Dapper_Swindler posted:

jesus gently caress. i remember talking to some lady who was into Gor. its loving weird and creepy and all the dudes who are into it look like davis aurini. so whats its deal, from my cusory reasearch it reads like Robert E. Howard/Edgar Rice Burroughs pulp but with really really hosed up sex stuff.

it's bdsm fiction written by a tenured philosophy prof who gave us the term :biotruths:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grondoth posted:

I haven't been keeping up with GW official changes since they destroyed my favorite setting

most of the changes are really good but if only because they are a breath of fresh air in this stale rear end setting

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I thought Gor would be like the crazy Boris Vallejo/frank frazetta art on its cover but the actual content is fairly boring and unrad. Just lengthy monologues defending the caste system and rape.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I don't want to have any part of a setting where Rowboat Girlyman is walking around being a nerd and not frozen in time a moment from death.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Volcott posted:

I don't want to have any part of a setting where Rowboat Girlyman is walking around being a nerd and not frozen in time a moment from death.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Uncle Wemus posted:

I thought Gor would be like the crazy Boris Vallejo/frank frazetta art on its cover but the actual content is fairly boring and unrad. Just lengthy monologues defending the caste system and rape.

pretty much. least Heinlein for all his political awfulness can sorta write interesting stuff. one of my favorites of his is the roads must roll, its loving weird and grimdark as gently caress.

Dapper_Swindler has issued a correction as of 21:11 on May 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Yeah. I did a bunch of scifi audiobooks when i worked the graveyard shift alone. The John Carter/Tarzan books are ok. Predictable but at least fun in an old tyme way. Conan stuff was more what i thought of when i thought of heavy metal fantasy. Gor just kinda hung around and talked about how good it felt to be locked into a class niche and that people just naturally fell into that. And also rape. Wasn't a whole lot of epic fights against space tigers. Its like he was some kind of avatar of toxic masculinity who went to towns and turned them to his system

• Locked thread