Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
bought the game and upgraded to 0.15 . i got a couple of research upgrades completed on my first play session. i think i might start over with a better map though and i bet i could do it again in like 1/5th the time.

thanks, op.

qq: i saw in world gen that enemies evolve, so if you're really bad and slow do you fall behind and are never able to keep up and defend yourself? also what is radar good for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i restarted 3 times I think

I ran my aspergers well dry once i started needing the third colour lab bottles though. just knew id have to start thinking too much

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

radar is good for showing the map without manually exploring

pram
Jun 10, 2001

echinopsis posted:

i restarted 3 times I think

I ran my aspergers well dry once i started needing the third colour lab bottles though. just knew id have to start thinking too much

lol

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

qq: i saw in world gen that enemies evolve, so if you're really bad and slow do you fall behind and are never able to keep up and defend yourself? also what is radar good for?

biters evolve based on time (number of ticks since creation), pollution (generated, not just absorbed), and spawners killed (relatively big bump). if you don't go on a spawner killing rampage, the ramp up is pretty gentle. you want red ammo and/or bullet damage++ before the medium biters show up in big groups, because unmodified yellow bullets don't hardly hurt them. once you have laser turrets en masse and double walls, you don't have to worry about very much.

you can see the current evolution by consoling /evolution. it ranges from 0 to 1.0 and will break down the contributions.

radar gives you vision anywhere in range of the radar, and slowly scans chunks to reveal more of the map. in .15 you can zoom in on the map and see directly areas that are revealed by radar. you can place blueprints/ghosts in this view too.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Ok I did the needful and built a train as seen in the bottm left.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
are you playing without bugs lol you pusslord

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Nah, I spawned on a pseudo peninsula so I walled it off with a mega-wall and genocided all the bases on the inside.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
dat sweet sweet genocide

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

This game's pretty good. I shot a rocket to space and ran over some aliens in a tank.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

i started a new game on the rail map setting, and they aren't kidding about trains being essential

i made a vip train and service stations at different places so i can get to them faster

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
pro tip: you don't have to build loops for your trains if you put an engine on both ends. it will turn around by using the other engine. downside: the un-used train engine is really heavy and makes your trains slower

by the same token adding two engines to the same end of the train makes your train faster

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
other train pro tip: get the nuclear locomotive mod for really fast trains that will run you over the moment you stop looking at them. also maybe the nuclear fuel/plutonium mod by the same author so you have a better fuel cycle

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i only use nuclear to build missiles

solar is so op there is no reason to bother with reactors

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I have a few coworkers come over on Saturdays to play this game in a big coop session.

Coop building a factory together is awesome. Everyone digs deeper into their little specialties. You start designing things like "Safe railroad crossings" and "Passenger + Supply Trains". We have a stop for consumer goods by our main factory called "Wall mart"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
what is a safe railroad crossing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lights to tell u it's safe?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what is a safe railroad crossing
You hook circuitry up to the rail signal to know when a train is coming, and then plug that into a gate, and force the gate to be closed if a train is coming. If the gate is already open (because a player is moving across it), you instead force the train signal to be red so that the train stops. Then you cover the tracks in hazard concrete (or walls) except for the designated crossing area.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Why not just build trains that take you safely across the track at each intersection?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

ShadowHawk posted:

You hook circuitry up to the rail signal to know when a train is coming, and then plug that into a gate, and force the gate to be closed if a train is coming. If the gate is already open (because a player is moving across it), you instead force the train signal to be red so that the train stops. Then you cover the tracks in hazard concrete (or walls) except for the designated crossing area.

lol

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Note that in this game getting run over by your own trains is like 80% of the deaths you have.

They even added a kill counter stat to the individual locomotives.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ive never been hit by my trains because i know not to walk on tracks hth

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

pram posted:

ive never been hit by my trains because i know not to walk on tracks hth

just lmao if your factorio map has a tile that isn't covered in a train track

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
so I'm making blue cpus and red engines now and driving everything over in a tank. game is pretty fun so far!

there's a few things I don't understand though. the armour modules for example. a robo thing uses mw of energy on its tooltip, and an exoskeleton drains all my batteries in under a second, but my solar panels refill at like 10kw which is nothing.

also accumulators seem kind of pointless. they immediately fill when i place them, causing my boilers to run full tilt, then never discharge. am i supposed to program some poo poo where they are the preferred energy source during the night and my boilers run only when they're empty? maybe disconnect my boilers?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
if your accumulators arent discharging then it either means theyre not connected to the rest of the grid or your boilers are producing enough energy for them to not start draining during the night. you should see them turn off during the day if you have enough solar panels

also the power suit solar panels and batteries become irrelevant once you research the personal fusion generator

pram
Jun 10, 2001
accumulators are complimentary with solar panels they dont serve any other purpose

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Accumulators never cause steam engines to run less, you have to remove steam engines until you reach a comfortable equilibrium.

Hockeyman
Dec 19, 2003

I'm sorry, I wasn't listening.
I'm confused on all of the logistics network stuff. Seems important but also a steep learning curve to getting it all working right.

Are there any scenarios beyond just launching the rocket? Or the 4 campaigns?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I bought it this weekend and the last few nights I've been up late playing. I also did some multiplayer w/ my bro and that was fun

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
We should have a yospos server, should I set one up? What's the latest server build, still the 14 version or are they on 15 finally for that?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

Accumulators never cause steam engines to run less, you have to remove steam engines until you reach a comfortable equilibrium.

solar panels do noob. if you have enough solar farms during the day the generators will shut down (not the boilers obviously)

pram
Jun 10, 2001
this is the setup i used, makes the substation connect to all the panels and other clusters automatically

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Someone send me a zip file of a good 15.18 map and I'll host a factorio server with it. I've got colocated servers to spare lets goooooooo

I can generate one if I gently caress around with a json object with map definitions but I can't view it until after 5pm.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I put a dumb map up it's listed as a public server if you just filter for YOSPOS. The server description has a password hint in it that will make sure only true yospos fans get in.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i'm good at self sustaining burner coal miner setups

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i'm good at massively underestimating the amount of raw materials a factory will need and then struggling to get enough loving ore shipped in i mean what the hell how are all those loving trains coming in full of iron ore not enough???

also i like building giant nuclear power plants because solar power is for filthy hippies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i'm good at massively underestimating the amount of raw materials a factory will need and then struggling to get enough loving ore shipped in i mean what the hell how are all those loving trains coming in full of iron ore not enough???

also i like building giant nuclear power plants because solar power is for filthy hippies

productivity modules in the furnaces make the ore stretch further

also trains can carry 2x as many plates as ore due to stack size so it is often better to make plates onsite than ship ore around

• Locked thread