Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan

Launched in August 2016, Fuchsia is an open source real-time microkernel based OS being developed by Google, with a mix of software licenses including BSD 3 clause, MIT, and Apache 2.0. The codebase can be found on Github and the project is being developed at an active pace. According to Wikipedia,

quote:

Fuchsia is a capability-based, real-time operating system (RTOS) currently being developed by Google. It was first discovered as a mysterious code post on GitHub in August 2016, without any official announcement. In contrast to prior Google-developed operating systems such as Chrome OS and Android, which are based on Linux kernels, Fuchsia is based on a new microkernel named "Magenta", derived from "Little Kernel", a small operating system intended for embedded systems. Upon inspection, media outlets noted that the code post on GitHub suggested Fuchsia's capability to run on universal devices, from embedded systems to smartphones, tablets and personal computers.

There's currently no release builds of Fuchsia available, so you'll need to build it from source and then run it from within the included Qemu build. Just the other day, I built Fuchsia inside a VM instance of Ubuntu, then ran it through Qemu. In May 2017, Fuchsia was updated with a user interface, along with a developer writing that the project was not a "dumping ground of a dead thing", prompting media speculation about Google's intentions with the operating system, including the possibility of it replacing Android. Fuchsia was console only until just a few days ago, and now you can run a GUI with Fuchsia by following this guide.

Resources

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Is Google finally fed up with Larry Ellison/Oracle bullshit?

I would so love it if this was a "Fine! gently caress you and gently caress Java!"

goosebox
May 11, 2015
Hopefully Fuchsiabooks do better than Chromebooks.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Vanagoon posted:

Is Google finally fed up with Larry Ellison/Oracle bullshit?

I would so love it if this was a "Fine! gently caress you and gently caress Java!"

They wouldn't need a whole new kernel just to dump java.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

Tortured By Flan
Google IO 2017 starts up next Wednesday, I'll be curious to see what they have to say about Fuchsia, especially now that there's a rudimentary GUI in place.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Oh nice. More operating systems to go with their voice and chat platforms.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
lol if this still has Android's broken by design OS level updating platform.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

Tortured By Flan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7rRK4S9uk0

ThatNateGuy
Oct 15, 2004

"Is that right?"
Slippery Tilde

incoherent posted:

Oh nice. More operating systems to go with their voice and chat platforms.

I love Google's communications applications, but they really need to pick something and stick with it. The fact that Hangouts is going business kind of irks me. I really like the interface and capabilities. Hopefully Allo will be better once they make a desktop interface.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
The silly stuff Google has done with their communications platform in just the last quarter is kind of out there:
1. Launch Meet, which is effectively just the existing Hangouts platform rebranded, except without plugins or chat functionality, but with built-in phone conferencing for Enterprise license users.
2. Launch a Slack knockoff using the soon-to-be-disused Hangouts name.
3. Discontinue Talk/Chat and move that functionality (esp. from the Gmail web application) into a new-Hangouts hookin.
4. Supposedly Voice is going to be replaced by Hangouts or Meet at some point?

It's basically how to confuse people 101. "Hit me up on Hangouts. No why did you try to do a video call with Meet? I meant Hangouts the new text chat platform." etc.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 12, 2017

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

ThatNateGuy posted:

I love Google's communications applications, but they really need to pick something and stick with it. The fact that Hangouts is going business kind of irks me. I really like the interface and capabilities. Hopefully Allo will be better once they make a desktop interface.

Allo is hot garbage. I use it everyday for ONE PERSON. It doesn't even have a pusheen sticker set :sad:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Oh good they got Dart support in there https://fuchsia.googlesource.com/mozart/+/HEAD/examples/basic_wm/main.dart

Gosh, I was so afraid their stillborn attempt at replacing JavaScript might not make it into future Google platforms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

incoherent posted:

Allo is hot garbage. I use it everyday for ONE PERSON. It doesn't even have a pusheen sticker set :sad:

I also use it for one person! But that's because it's "funner" than WhatsApp, which I get.

• Locked thread