Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/862490025874870277

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKdcjJoXeEY

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

that fukkn babby

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/jonbernhardt/status/862489968140333057

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
God Bless The Washington Capitals.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
heem sleepy

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

I'm no expert, but they should've scored a goal or two

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
You gotta think that the Ovechkin era is pretty much over at this point. I mean I don't see how the franchise can just continue on like nothing is wrong. I'm not even saying it's his fault or anything just there's something this team just lacks when it comes to the postseason and if we couldn't beat a Penguins team that was reeling like this one was, well it's just not going to happen. And frankly if it wasn't the Penguins that did them in, it would've been some other team. This team in this era will not win a Stanley Cup. It's better to recognize that, blow the thing up and try to build something that will than keep running into the same brick wall each and every year.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Ovi is going to be the Phillip Rivers of his draft class

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Real Talk©: The Capitals dominated 5 of the 7 games in this series. And they won one of the 2 games they didn't dominate. They ran into a Hot Goalie, it happens all the time, the end. Were it not for that they probably would have won the Cup this year.

Better teams run into Hot Goalies every year (ask the Minnesota Wild), it's no reason to trade Ovechkin and blow the team up. Last year they ran into like the only team in the entire last 5 years that was better than the 2016 Capitals, and this year the other goalie stole a couple games/their goalie lost one or two early games, but it's dumb loving luck.

It must be super duper incredibly frustrating to lose to the goddamn Penguins every goddamn year but it would be really stupid to blow up a back-to-back President's Trophy team based on what happened the past two Mays

~My Hockey Opinions~

e: Sharks fans were saying the same stuff about the Thornton/Marleau era a good 4 years before the Sharks reached the Finals and would also have won the Cup had they not run into the buzzsaw that was the 2016 Penguins.

e2:

achillesforever6 posted:

Ovi is going to be the Phillip Rivers of his draft class

More like the Warren Moon, who posted gaudy stats and is in the HOF but never played in a conference championship game

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 11, 2017

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If one puck had bounced Detroit's way in 2009 and Tampa's way last year then that series of tweets is EXACTLY what people would be tweeting about Sidney Crosby.

Like word for word exactly.

I dislike Ovechkin and will be happy if he never wins the Cup, but that's because of the constant unrepentant cheap shots, not because of any Not A Winning Player bullshit

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/862497843931738112

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

I see you're still paying Brooks Orpik 5.5 million next year.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

If one puck had bounced Detroit's way in 2009 and Tampa's way last year then that series of tweets is EXACTLY what people would be tweeting about Sidney Crosby.

Like word for word exactly.

I dislike Ovechkin and will be happy if he never wins the Cup, but that's because of the constant unrepentant cheap shots, not because of any Not A Winning Player bullshit

I don't think he's "not a winning player" or that such a thing exists, just that it might be better if the Caps moved on from this era. It's one thing to not win a cup, it's another to not even be able to pass the second round of the playoffs. At some point, you have to make major changes.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

I'm legitimately interested in how the Caps react this offseason. Will they blow it up? Do they fire Trotz? Or their GM? :iiam:

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

god this is like russian don cherry drivel

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Look Around You posted:

I'm legitimately interested in how the Caps react this offseason. Will they blow it up? Do they fire Trotz? Or their GM? :iiam:

They probably won't do anything and I can't criticize them for it. It's a baffling situation. It seems like they've done everything right, they fired their old GM, fired coaches, brought in more players, fixed their weaknesses. And they STILL can't get anywhere. What do you do? Who do you bring in or get rid of? Can the team possibly get any better than it already is? I guess the Capitals aren't the only team that's found themselves in this situation before. There are teams like the Sharks and Blues who have these same problems. I don't know what the solution is. But it sure would be nice if one year this same old poo poo didn't happen.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Kawalimus posted:

They probably won't do anything and I can't criticize them for it. It's a baffling situation. It seems like they've done everything right, they fired their old GM, fired coaches, brought in more players, fixed their weaknesses. And they STILL can't get anywhere. What do you do? Who do you bring in or get rid of? Can the team possibly get any better than it already is? I guess the Capitals aren't the only team that's found themselves in this situation before. There are teams like the Sharks and Blues who have these same problems. I don't know what the solution is. But it sure would be nice if one year this same old poo poo didn't happen.

Everything the Capitals have done seems to be the right move, but at the end of the day, I think the best move for them is to keep going and try to find other strategies to win. Ultimately, Washington seemed completely lost after Pittsburgh scored their first goal, and had no real way to get any significant offensive possession at the end of the game. That' a big problem.

Hockey's weird. There were a lot of years where the Red Wings won the Cup, but there were just as many years when roughly the same roster couldn't win a playoff round.

Ultimately, the Capitals need to get past the mental stumbling block of beating Pittsburgh. Game 7 was completely different than Game 5 or 6.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

As always a @dril tweet sums up the situation nicely:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/459523497363271682

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

God damnit, Caps, all you needed was one more win to make me excited about a Pens-free Conference Finals and you couldn't even score a goal. t:mad:

"Trade Ovie" talk reminds me of "Trade Nash", except the Caps' problem is not being able to get past the second round instead of being bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

• Locked thread