Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
EM

Rabid dogs bark from within this bubble of reality in divine concordance as the threads of destiny weave beneath the reality taking shape. Their glowing fangs gnash with mechanical clacks as men fall in droves behind their raving commander absent blows struck. These men, by provenance, gobbled to nothing by fate like that of kibble from the hungry canines' bowl. The dog's cousin, bemused, yawns impatiently. He has waited so long for the circling to cease, and the hunger in their eyes to give way to attack. It never comes. With the quarry drawn and open, the pack never leaps to rend the hapless morsel. One nuzzles the prize, absently inspecting it with an arid tongue, and turns away. Ennui dances like wildfire across an ursine scowl, defrauding its ambition. This gift was wasted, just as all the rest. And to finally bring merciful death upon the emaciated and aimless hounds seems as fitting an end as any; thus the chute should be cleared. The most beaten til now, the hauteur mutt, pulls itself upon a lame leg to the mewling sacrifice; and with some duress sinks its teeth in. Sanguine venom bleats between its yellowed and missing teeth as the cur masticates its throbbing neck.

The Boulder claps fined gravel powder from his hands; the tumult of stone burbling like a brook back to homeostasis, the courtyard returning to a serenity it had never known. The kerosene dreams of our Miss Zhou dash against its stoic facade, the crescendo of fire played a key above the audible and fizzling into a subtle whistling. Flesh-tattered swine begin feebly gnawing upon the blood flecked earth beneath them, their finest pleasure in life stolen from then like a blink in undeath. Johnny's eyes once again glaze over, any interest for the situation held aloft by the glory of combat suddenly dashed like a wave against the rock below. Enno, returns the shackles concealed around his neck to the bear on high, and lowers himself to the group he is tethered to by unknowable strings,. He retrieves his phone from a vest pocket, and begins again flicking the screen and tap-tap-tapping away at a keyboard known only by agents beyond the broken wall. Roth's eyes widen. The knowledge of the future is his alone, and rage trembles in the fingers of the Norns.

A maelstrom of uncertainty lifts from the ground as the curtain of celestial gears is pulled away into a point in the sky. Playing in loops, a ragged pig triumphing with faux ingenuity over task after task as the wild eyes of the rest of the farm die briefly with each new hurdle easily surmounted. The Berkshire squeals with delight, somehow unknowing that animals' verve was slipping like sand hypnotically through the paws of the bear. All that remains in its six clawed mitt turns to salt. It clenches a fist. The bear slams this fist onto some crumpled foil; the divine mechanics otherwise cast aside. But a terrifying grins lapses and stretches across his face, to bask in the singular eye of the Godbound of fate.

Roth calmly mumbles to the rest, "Of course something like this would happen. Why wouldn't it? What sort of continuity could exist after the farce of this reality bore itself so readily?"

And thus, finds himself again within the collective, caught like deer on a winding night road ahead a careening semi. The air horn bursts its dissonance in the quiet dark, and soon they would be streaked across the ground by a roaring onslaught of disappointment without fighting with every fiber and scrap. God's words had been heeded, but not by God, and the mantra of effort blared its demonic klaxons within the glass walls of the rift. The puppies had been cast from a bridge, in a burlap sack. The ground vomits forth the man wielding bronze members. The pups yelp and plead, whining as their cloth tomb fills slowly with water. His masterful strokes send bits of skull and brain to the ground, and Johnny falls dead. One whelp coughs its last bubbles of air and goes slack. Phallic Justice rains more wet blows amidst the fledgling pantheon- Thwuck, Thwuck, and the silence but for the bronze resonating after breaking bones. Roth's lower mandible slides across the floor, and he falls clutching at a tongue flailing vainly as darkness overtakes his vision. A single soundless yelp is crushed in the dark as the three continue to tear at their prison. Rage boils the battlefield, Tam tears a slab of stone from the ground and brings its heft to bear against the newly elite warrior, but it is too little. A vicegrip of crossed thrombotic veins choke the joviality from his face, and he falls limp. One tears through the bag, and succumbs to the pressure in the deep dark. The battle begs relent, but absent divine order and rule, Joey's ineffectual bolts of flame singe not a pubic hair emblazoned upon the crest of scrotal cudgels brought unto her. Her ribs are left cracked and broken. She tries in vain to scream for help, but exsanguination takes her as her calls only drive the last of her blood from her lungs. One last young dog tears its sister's jaws from its leg, kicking with abandon, trying to reach the surface; she floats away into the murk. Enno is left. He ogles the dire demon before him, dual-wielding dildos of death, drops his guard, and dislodges his dutiful weapon. He raises the pistol against the beast, but realizing the futility of it all, turns it upon his mouth, and pulls the trigger. The lone mongrel finally breaks water, the sun hits his face, and he finds himself in a vast bay; there is simply no drive left, he limps along a short distance, and falls to the sea floor like his sister before him. The bag floats to the surface like a lost jellyfish, marooned as the last of this vignette, in a sea with nothing for miles in every distance.

Dildor looks up to Ursa Major, with a petulant squeal of delight; but his purpose absent. The well dressed bear laps another sip from the Blood Mary, taking a moment to appreciate his own work. Without ceremony, he snaps his fingers; forever winking Lord Dildo Man from existence.

code:
EM, 
Artifice, Command, and Sky

HP: 8/9 	 AC: -1	
Effort: [D][D][C]
Inf: 2/2	 Dom: 0 
Attack: +4 1d6 Physical Damage 

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
gwentgwentgwentgwe

Rubbing the bridge of the nose is hard when it's a bear nose.

"Good enough."

----------------------------

... Weapons clatter upon the ground from slack hands. The thugs first loudly exhale, their eyes snapping to their new boss, Enno, then groan, their mouth agape with agape, as they are filled with Boulder-induced philia. (I am not sorry.) Do they want to rub their faces in his pecs? Oh, many of them did even before he miracled them, but now, now even more so. Some curl up on the ground, overwhelmed by the sensation of being under two separate brainwashing Miracles at the same time, but that's hardly your problem, is it now? The thug closest to you shakes his shaved, tattooed head and speaks to the Boulder:

<Wow. Wow. I just want to say... you are amazing. Sir, I think I speak for all of us when I say that I want, nay, need, respectfully, to motorboat your chest, sir, no homo.> A wave of embarrassed, hopeful nodding washes over the mob. Dildo Guy elbows his way through the crowd, admiringly staring at you, one eye a time and shyly stammers out: <Thir, may... may I thqueeze your bithep? With my fathe? It would be an honor.>

The bodyguards carrying Zu away weren't fast enough to avoid the combined mental takeover and stop dead in their tracks, dropping their charge onto the red wood floors, where he lies, softly groaning.

---------------------------

Those of you who care about these things, for some reason, walk around the grand hall and into the back of the compound, where the slave pens are situated. For my convenience entirely, there are no guards here, all of them having rushed to the defense when you broke through the gate. The pens are small brick structure, windowless, the prison bar door locked, but not for long. Inside there's a dozen collared slaves, all Ren, none older than thirty, in varying states of abuse, now varily watching your every move.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 5, 2017

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Tam "the Boulder" Tsang

The Boulder beams. <Yes, yes this is the way things are meant to go.> His pecs bounce again, he nods at the rabble. He pats the shoulders of a few companionably, ruffles the hair of a number, and if he had a towel he would throw it at one as a souvenir. But he doesn't. Instead he can simply give a wink, a booming laugh, and the greatness of his presence.

<We can all admire our forms at a later date, and work on your body images if you don't feel confident in yourselves. And work on reintegrating all of you into society. But first there is something vital we must do as good and right men.>

With that he strides confidently around the compound and toward the pens. <Fear not good citizens! Your freedom is at hand for I am The Boulder, me and my quite exceptional companions are here to save you!>

No lock bars his way, no cage holds against his might, no chains imprison those he wishes to free. He casually begins freeing the slaves as if their binds were nothing but wet paper.

<Now you are all free to go, yet I must ask if one of you is Xiulan? A man by the name of Po was worried about you.>

code:
Tam "the Boulder" Tsang
Might, Earth, Passion

HP: 07/11 	 AC: 0	
Effort: [D][D][]
Attack: +5 1d10(12)+4 Magical Damage

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Roth

Roth glances at the prisoners at the prisoners, looking concerned. "I think we should lead these people back to the village. It's a pretty long trip here, and they aren't in good shape."

code:
Lionel Reese
Fate, Sword, Alacrity

HP: 7/8
AC: 1
Effort: [ ][ ]
Influence: 2/2
Dominion: 0
Attack: +3
Weapon: 1d10+1, Magical

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
Joey
well that certainly happened

Joey says to Roth, "Do we even know if all of these people are from the village? They might not have anyplace to go, especially if they were sold by their families or something like that." She wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these slaves were from at least a few villages away, since seeing your former friends and neighbors as slaves tends to be somewhat awkward.

To the slave pens, she says, <We have come here to stop the useless sacrifices being made to the temple on the mountain. If you wish to be free, we will tell no one where you have gone if you run, but if for whatever reason you wish to stay we will protect you from Real Man Xiao and his machinations, and you will suffer no retaliation from Big Feet Zu from our actions today if we can help it.> She's going to be surprised if more than half of them stay, but she's not going to turn them out into the wilderness if they genuinely want to stay in slavery.

<That being said, does anyone know when the next time the monastery will send for 'volunteers' is? We need to know how much time we have to set up a plan. If anyone knows anything about the monastery either, that would be very helpful.> It might be a good idea to ask the guards that one too, but she might as well start here.

code:
Joey
Endurance, Night, Fire

HP: 10/10 	 AC: 1	
Effort: [][][]
Attack: +3 1d10 Fire damage (magic) or 1d8 mace (physical)

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Johnny

"Well glad that's done." Johnny says to no one in particular. <Is there a kitchen here? We need to feed these prisoners first, I bet they're starving>

code:
Johnny
Death, Luck, Time
Luck roll: 8

HP: 9/9 	 AC: 0	
Attack: +4 1d10 Magical Damage

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Sleepy GM

The slaves slowly shuffle out of the pens, blinking at the sun, looking around themselves in wonder. As you talk to them, you learn that a) slavery is legal in Dulimbai b) enslavement is a frequent punishment for failing to pay one's debts, running away from one's duty and rebellion c) they are, indeed, not town locals d) they are not super enthusiastic about heading to town, where they might get reenslaved again and e) but, and surely this is a shock to you, they are not super-keen on staying slaves either.

Xiulan turns out to be a rather stout young lady with a no-nonsense look on her face. She intently listens to what you have to say about Po, then snorts.

<Oh. That arsehole. Hrmm. I suppose I'll hear him out. At the crossroads, you say? I suppose I'll be off, then. Thank you, strangers. Your ancestors smile upon you.>

She bows to you and walks out of the compound.

The slaves know nothing about the monastery or being sent there and are rather alarmed to find out what would befall them there. At this point, though, Zu rejoins you, his bodyguards all but carrying him by his armpits. He clearly doesn't approve of your emancipatory zeal, but wisely says nothing about it, in dialogue that would be amazing, hilarious and character-revealing, if I bothered to write it. It is, however, rather late and I am trying to re-dedicate myself to my pledge to write only shitposts with zero effort, so you just get a summary. He does say that they've been expecting Perfected Woman Wen to come and pick up the newest slave shipment in about a week's time. So I suppose you have until then to spend all that Dominion you have.

Speaking of which, I guess you get like 2 Dominion each, good for you.

Johhny heads inside the great hall. There is, indeed, a kitchen - a large one and well stocked, by local standards. More importantly, as you walk through the house you note that there is plenty of poo poo here to take, should one be so inclined. With a couple of hours and a cart, you could get about five Wealth's worth of loot in art, furniture and whatever valuables Zu has stashed out of here.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Johnny

Johnny looks around the kitchen at all the food and can only think Wheres the cook? But try as he might hes unable to find him. Maybe he fled after the fighting? Well, Johnny will just have to make one. Calling upon his powers he sends call out into death, and from outside there is a clatter of bones. Finally, a knock on the door. Johnny goes over to open it and in walks...

The skeleton tries to talk to Johnny...in Ren. When Johnny looks clueless it tries Trade Cant. <I cook?>

<Yes. Cook now.> Johnny says. He thinks for a minute as the skeleton drops every pan it tries to pick up. Maybe this was a bad idea, but oh well. Double or nothing Johnny thinks as he lays hands on the Skellie (thats his name now) and invests more divine power into him. Satisfied hes no longer dropping pots, Johnny leaves Skellie to cook while he goes to loot Zu's fortune. He's never been an art fan, so all he does is take up all the jewelery he can. Not wanting to carry it around on his own person, he goes back and decks out Skellie in bling.

Spending Dominion to make this Greater Undead skeleton cook permanent, investing another dominion to increase its cooking skill and make it actually hygienic with a very light death touch to kill germs. Then decking it out in whatever bling Johnny loots because why not.

code:
Johnny
Death, Luck, Time

Inf: 2/2	 Dom: 0/2

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
As a quick reminder, the last post in the recruitment thread is a set of guidelines on what you can do with Influence/Dominion

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Tam "the Boulder" Tsang

As Johnny goes off to find something for them to eat the Boulder looks over the slaves, and the thugs who once held them. He nods and lets out a mighty laugh. <I am the Boulder and I have a chance for you all. You can go to the village, or you can go home, as we already said. Or you can make something of yourselves. I understand full well that you may have nothing to return to. It is a sad state of affairs, but it does not have to be.>

He gestures expansively toward the thugs, already on the way to turning into better men. <These men once held you prisoner, now they let you free. These men were once productive members of society, but they were led astray. I intend to lead them back to the right path, to make them great men of purpose and responsibility. To make them pillars of the community. To make this land better. So too can you! Take me to an empty part of land, not used for crops, and I can give you homes. Together we can teach you all how to take care of yourselves, how to live well, how to be productive members of society, to be more, to be true pillars of society! To make you people that others would look up to in admiration and awe.>

Plan is to train the thugs and any slaves who wish to, how to fight with dignity and respect, how to do a variety of jobs, how to be respectable and dignified, how to live proper lives, and basically set about molding them into better people. Also having them lead me to an empty rocky area and using Dominion to build basically a city for them and any who will come later on.
Not sure if my control of Earth can also start some crops and such, but if not hopefully someone else can help with that part, and also hmm maybe some wells or water sources. Earth might be able to help with that.

code:
Tam "the Boulder" Tsang
Might, Earth, Passion

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Roth

Roth gapes at the undead cook. Try as he might, though, he can't quite put his reaction into words. Soon enough, he decides to roll with it. "Hey, could ask that guy to get a pot of tea ready when he gets the chance?" He begins searching the building as well. Roth pockets any local currency and small trinkets Johnny has left behind. What he is actually looking for are Zu's records. The past day or so has painted a grim picture of the area, but more specifics on local problems would be helpful. Before rejoining the others, Roth gathers any remaining weapons. Actual weapons, not baffling improvised ones. If Boulder's intended settlement was going to last, its people would need a way to defend themselves.

Outside, he says to his teammates, "Okay, we've got a week until Wen gets here, and a lot to deal with. What's the plan? Do we tell the Magistrate or village about this, or just let them worry?"

code:
Lionel Reese
Fate, Sword, Alacrity

Dominion: 2/2

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
GM

Okay. Let's negative-effort this.

Johnny summons a skeleton cook. Sorry, let me try this again. Johnny summons a random skeleton, expects him to cook. Does he? I've considered this and decided, you know what, gently caress you. The skeleton just stands there, chopping a towel with a spatula, every second of its existence an abomination. This costs one Influence, I guess, and you still have two Dominion to make me want to murder you with. You find two Wealth's worth of threaded coins, silver bars and some jewelry, most of it obviously stolen and put one Wealth's worth of party's common loot on your skeleton.

There is about three more Wealth in art, furniture, etc laying around.

The actual cook, a stout, greying man still clutching a cleaver, who just came back from the courtyard, watches this all happening with mounting, incredulous horror.

---------------------------------

Roth looks for records which would detail all of Zu's villainous plans in . He doesn't find any, because a) how much paperwork do you think random people that weren't part of the state bureaucracy did in pre-modern China and b) they're a loving criminal organization, you don't write that poo poo down, come on. That said, Zu is still there and, in his mind-controlled state, is perfectly willing to answer any questions you wish to pose him. When you ask the skelecook to make tea, he drops the spatula, grabs a flower pot from a windowsill and sets it on the stove. It'll be ready any moment now.

--------------------------------

The thugs nod to the Boulder's words. A new life sounds good. One of them mentions that there is a large area a bit to the north that is entirely disuses because of how unsuitable to farming it is... but perhaps that's not a problem to someone like the Boulder?

(I've looked at the Earth Word and it strikes me that it's mis-named. Given how everything it can do is either about being hard to destroy, building poo poo or loving poo poo up with rocks, I think it should have been named Stone or something. I don't think the Word, as its presently written, allows for significant Fertility-level miracle action. At best, I think I can let you improve soil quality in any area you want, so that it's be way easier to farm there, but they'd still have to do all the work of actually farming.)

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
EM

While the Boulder decides to do something truly heroic, something worthy of praise and the stature this rag-tag team now found themselves to hold, Enno characteristically bucks the entire ordeal; drawing ire from whatever celestial mechanics keep this world turning. Instead of providing any benefit at all to the group, he comes up with a machiavellian scheme to ensconce himself in this unassuming town by using what he understands of the peoples' faith against them. Paying his due diligence to the city officials which he consummately disarms with his bureaucratic gifts to attain the proper permits despite having a very tenuous grasp of the local language, the week sees EM build strange machines near ancestor shrines, graveyards, and taverns. They appear to be stone boxes affixed to poles, displaying a high cost in the currency of Gongfang, along with a phrase stating "<Speak with your ancestors! At shrine, rub, and state "My soul to the creator."> The machines carry a hardened translucent window displaying a great many half inch wide beads in a rainbow of colors and patterns. To any from the Bright Republic, they greatly resemble the old gumball machines in function.

Inside, the beads hum with light magical power, and any who buy them and use them as stated are greeted, frightfully, by the voices of their ancestors. The beads do not work for long, but allow for a small exchange between the wielder and the dead. For now, perhaps Enno could not capitalize on the value of the users' incantations, but he could certainly use a source of constant income. Similarly, he makes sure to bribe some children to wear spent beads on bracelets, turning the product into a sort of display of devotion and, more importantly, status.

Using 2 dominion to set up technology to dispense prayer beads that allow the populace to cast a low magic spell to speak with their dead ancestors. Issuing one influence to increase the demand for the beads.
More or less just putting up a post because this game is cool and to slow down is the death of many a thread.

code:
EM, 

Inf: 1/2	 Dom: 0 available, 2 used 

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
Joey

Joey is 100% on board with the Boulder's plan, and also 100% willing to let him do the heavy lifting on convincing the thugs and ex-slaves that this is a good idea that they definitely want to do, as he's clearly better at it than her. What she is good at, however, is hard work and social order. Being unimpressed with what passes for a police force in Gongfang, she begins setting up discussions in the village square about how the ex-thugs (and a few interested ex-slaves) can gain respect and honor by keeping the community safe and protecting their neighbors, including the basics of policing and non-paranormal crime fighting.

When she's not doing that, however, she's helping the new villagers set up their fields. Even with the Boulder clearing the stones and using them to build the houses, there's a lot of heavy, backbreaking work to get the millet and corn into the ground, roofs built, wells dug, and so on. However, when she's helping, the villagers seem to feel like the work is, if not actually easier, then less arduous--she seems to impart a sense that this is a temporary hardship, that must simply be worked through in order to prosper later, into their bones.

Backing up the Boulder as best I can without any kind of actual fertility or water word, I am spending my 2 dominion in order to create kind of a local field of Endurance over the new village, or as much as I can get with 2 points. Like the narrative said, the effects are subtle and mainly serve to make it easier to till the fields and make the new village sustainable. If this is not possible as a field effect, then Joey will be blessing their plows and tools in order to make them less breakable, and do it that way, but I personally like the localized effect better.

code:
Joey
Endurance, Night, Fire

HP: 10/10 	 AC: 1	
Inf: 2/2	 Dom: 0 available, 2 used
Attack: +3 1d10 Fire damage (magic) or 1d8 mace (physical)

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Roth

"...nevermind." For certain reasons, Roth decides to pass on this particular pot of tea.

While he can (and does) help with any grunt work needed for the Boulder's project, his main contribution is more in line with his skillset. Roth cuts a few trees down for improvised weapons, passing them out to any local who wishes to learn how to fight. Uh, not whole logs. Little sword sized chunks. In any case, he trains them in the basics of the martial arts during their spare time, impressing upon them the importance of practice. Also, the fact that he would them to another dimension if he ever learns they have used their skills to harm innocent people. Specifically, the timeline in which he actually did coat the area with the blood of a great many people.

At some point, Roth will also question Zu about anything the locals were having trouble with, aside from Xiao and him. After that, he will crack the man on the head. Once to knock him out, a second time to kill him.

Spending 2 Dominion to teach the future villagers to be proficient fighters.

code:
Lionel Reese
Fate, Sword, Alacrity

Dominion: 0/2

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Tam "the Boulder" Tsang

The Boulder strides forth, smiling at ex-slave and ex-thug alike nodding and giving a hearty laugh as he makes his way to the suggested spot. Once there he surveys the land, reaches down and takes a pinch of dirt, feeling it between his fingers, and then rubs his hands together. He places one foot then the other firmly upon the earth, lowering his stance as he does so. Then he reaches out and begins to play the very earth beneath his feet and before his eyes. He pulls forth majestic stone buildings. Beautiful yet practical and comfortable. Taking designs from the picture books his grandparents used to show him as a child, with a bit of a twist. They would be a wonder to behold, while being dry, comfortable, and practically laid out. He pulls forth many majestic houses, but also produces buildings that would serve a more more utilitarian purpose. Beautiful grain houses, gleaming bathhouses, and outstanding theater houses.

Each building a work of art, each quite functional, and each designed not to clash with the rest. As the structures come forth from the very ground beneath his feet he is careful to lay them out in a practical, and yet beautiful, manner. When he is finally done the new city is impressive but never offensive to the senses, both from ground level and should one witness it from above.

When he finishes he turns to the onlookers. <Well what do you think?>

code:
Tam "the Boulder" Tsang
Might, Earth, Passion

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Johnny

Johnny takes in the sight of city Boulder has sprung up from the bare earth and is suitably impressed. Skellie stands behind him, decked out in bling. He found a cloak somewhere to toss over the undead but doubt it will fool anyone except at a distance.

He only has one question for the man. "Which one is ours?"

code:
Johnny
Death, Luck, Time

Inf: 2/2	 Dom: 0/2

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Tam "the Boulder" Tsang

"Hmm?"

The Boulder gives a laugh. "Well you certainly have your priorities set. Very well follow me, I will show you."

He then begins to enter the new city, he points out potential stables, bathhouses, inns, the many many homes for the new citizens, markets, restaurants, and many other comforts of a civilized life. Of course these buildings still need people to run them, the materials necessary for the running of the businesses they are for, water for the bathhouses, and such. But the backbone is there, the flesh just needs to be draped upon it. As he leads the group, and anyone else interested in following the tour, through the city he shows the many different structures and eventually brings them to the center. A series of majestic buildings, interlinked together in a majestic and artistic whole.

"Should we choose to stay here, or spend any significant amount of time here, this will be our seat of power. There are many rooms, all designed for aesthetic sense, comfort, and utility. They are already set up so that we can implement running water when we have the chance. There are kitchens, with attached pantries of course. Meeting rooms, audience rooms, ball rooms, fitting rooms, a small bath in each bedroom, with a larger bathhouse in a central area. There is an area that can set up central heating and air, should we have the means to infuse those properties within, or find another way to implement them. Same with the running water."

He looks to Enno and gives a nod.

As he begins to explain all these things he begins showing the group the central interlocked building, showcasing all the rooms he mentioned, as well as more.

code:
Tam "the Boulder" Tsang
Might, Earth, Passion

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
GM

Okay.

Enno's plan works. Does being able to talk to the long-departed make any sense in this setting's cosmology? I dunno. Do I give any fucks? Not really. People get to talk to Gran Gran again. Sometimes Gran Gran is in the spirit world the Dulimbaian ancestors go, getting put on the magical speakerphone right when she's getting her spirit dick on. Sometimes Gran Gran is in Hell, getting rape-tortured for an eternity. Either way, fun times.

The Boulder spends a week erecting a picture card megatown for, like, fifty ex-gangsters and a dozen slaves. (Let's say it goes entirely unnoticed by the guy sitting on top of the mountain right outside it.) The new urbanites gawk in awe at the town's many wonders, but are somewhat crestfallen to find out that they'll still have to, like, work and poo poo. At one point, the subject is cautiously broached with a "Bro, can't you, like, give us some wine fountains and bacon trees or something? And maybe some pussy wall sockets?" The others murmur in assent, nodding; this is obviously both possible and reasonable. Still, under the Boulder's watchful eye and filled with Joey's endurance, they take to the lands outside the town and begin the hard work of turning them into fields.

A few of the less fortunate members of the Gongfang civil society also trickle in the new, yet unnamed town, but the bulk of them stay, the Magistrate making it known that he will not tolerate any shrinking of his tax base. Should you want more residents of Gongfang to move to the town, some action would need to be taken. Likewise, there are the followers of the Golden Lord still camped all over the surrounding forests, but we're pretty much not even doing that, so whatev.

Zu doesn't tell Roth much he doesn't already know. There's the Golden Lord in the forests, whatever he or it is, and up to the point of you taking over Zu was very concerned about his rebel cult coming for him. It also turns out Zu and the Magistrate had a lot closer working relationship than you've been told; Zu was paying half of what he squeezed out of the local populace to the Magistrate in exchange for his constables turning a blind eye. He is rather miffed to find out that the Magistrate has sent you to kill him, but not for long, because you do. The first blow suffices, but you thwack him again just in case.

I guess Skellie is still a thing.

That's about it?

Let's say you've all spent your Dominion. You can all level to 2.

What exactly is your plan for what Wen comes for the slaves? I want the finalized specifics. I would be delighted, surprised if you actually discussed this in character in this thread, but I suppose I'll settle for one person saying something in Discord and the rest just going "hurr I guess".

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
Joey

A day after the city is finished, the pantheon is in one of the meeting rooms that the Boulder so thoughtfully set up. Torches flicker on the wall with smokeless flame, the best thing they have right now to substitute for real lightbulbs. Joey sits at a chair around the central stone table, her arms crossed in front of her.

"Gentlemen, now that Zu is... out of the picture, we need a plan to deal with the monastery. From what I can see, we have four options other than simply trying to brute force our way through the fog. First, one or more of us pretends to be the new slaves to be transported, while the rest of us pose as guards. I suppose we could get some of Zu's boys to be the guards as well, but I frankly don't know how far we can trust them. Second, we ask some of the ex-slaves to volunteer to pose as the slaves, leaving all of us free to be the guards, but we would definitely need to make sure the slaves get out of the way before anything happens to them but after we get to the fog. That might be a complication we don't want to deal with.

"Third, we could pretend to volunteer for the experiments outright. We say we showed up in Gongfang, heard about the monastery trying to create immortality, and we decided we want in on that. This one depends fairly heavily on our ability to bluff whoever comes to get the slaves, so we would definitely need to plan out exactly what we want to say beforehand. Last, we wait until someone shows up for the slaves, and then punch them until they decide they want to tell us how to get to the monastery. However, we don't know how the fog barrier works, and it might be something that we can't work by ourselves, leaving us up the proverbial creek if this one works out poorly for us."

She places her hands flat on the table. "So, does anybody have any other ideas?"

code:
Joey
Endurance, Night, Fire

HP: 15/15 	 AC: 1	
Effort: [][][][]
Inf: 3/3	 Dom: 0 available, 2 used
Attack: +4 1d10 Fire damage (magic) or 1d8 mace (physical)

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Johnny

"Well...first off, this whole city Boulder built is going to stand out as weird as gently caress. What the hell is this lady going to think?" Johnny holds out his glass and Skellie fills it with more water.

"As for an actually getting there, lets just ambush the lady and get the information from her."

code:
Johnny
Death, Luck, Time

[/quote]

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
EM

"For the first time in my life I am inclined to agree with our necrophiliac friend with the poor morales and reasoning. We don't particularly need to deceive this Perfect Woman Wen. If there are no more sacrifices being made by way of Zu being dealt with, Xiao's methods will become more overt. If we do not manage to convince her to give us the information we need, we can wait until he comes to us."

"Furthermore, the monastery is not going anywhere. We could see to more issues plaguing Gongfang if we are in need of tasks in the meanwhile, after Wen comes for the slaves."

code:
EM, 

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Roth

"As far as she knows, the city was here when we showed up. It's not like we owe her any explanation." Roth crosses his arms. "Personally, I'm still in favor of one of us posing as a (really dangerous) captive while the rest pretend to be guards. We're probably the only people around who are powerful enough to deal with Xiao, and frankly, learning how this fog stuff works might be useful down the line." He glances at the city. "I'm not against making Xiao come to us, but I don't like the thought of giving him time to prepare. Or putting these people in danger."

code:
Lionel Reese
Fate, Sword, Alacrity

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
THIS TOOK SO MUCH EFFORT TO WRITE OKAY

You spend a week doing your thing. Then, the morning Xiao's apprentice is supposed to arrive, you assemble in the conference room to go over the last details of your plan and find yourselves looking at a young, small woman dressed as a Taoist nun, sitting in one of the chair, her feet dangling a few inches above the floor. She's nursing a cup of tea and admiring the fresco of the Creation of the Boulder by the Boulder, As Witnessed by the Boulders. As you walk in, she turns her head and beams at you.

<I am not acquainted with this tradition, but I rather admire the technique. What does the finger touching signify?> Then she notices the Boulder walk in. <Oh... my.> She looks back and forth between him and the fresco, her eyes growing wider. <The depiction does not do you justice. You are so... big.>

She blushes and giggles into her hands.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Tam "the Boulder" Tsang

The Boulder strides in, for a moment he would almost be taken back by this turn of events. He had not exactly expected this for the nun, but he takes it all in stride. His pecs jiggle and bounce as he greets.

<Good day my lady. I thank you for your observation and it is a pleasure to meet you.>

He smiles his gleaming white smile.

<May I ask do I have the pleasure of speaking with Xiao's apprentice?>

code:
Tam "the Boulder" Tsang
Might, Earth, Passion

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
GM

<Oh, right. That would be me, yes.> She wryly smiles. <I'm Wen. It seems you have made some changes around here. I like the new town. Have you given it a name yet?>

Meanwhile, in an incident entirely unrelated to Quornes talking back to me on Discord, on his way to the conference room Johnny slips on a giant banana peel, falls onto and breaks the urn used to store the olive oil that the Boulder's men scrape dirt off his body with, Roman-style, then slips and slides down the incline corridor and into the Mousetrap Museum, where he rolls through every mousetrap-covered inch of its surface area, stumbles out and into a giant roller-skate and is carried to an open window which overlooks the river, wherein he is vigorously molested by pervy river dolphins. This 100% happened and is now canon.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jun 25, 2017

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Tam "the Boulder" Tsang

The Boulder brings a hand to his chin in thought.

<A name? I have not given this city a name yet. Perhaps you can suggest something? On our way?>

He smiles at the nun, his teeth dazzling, as he continues.

<I must confess to some curiosity about your master Xiao and the monastery that you came from. Who could be a master to such a beautiful nun? I would very much like to meet him, to see and explore this monastery that you have lived and worked in. Won't you take us with you? We can get to know each other better on the way, and perhaps we can come up with a name for this city together?>

code:
Tam "the Boulder" Tsang
Might, Earth, Passion

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
GM

Wen smiles at the Boulder's charm offensive. <Why, that's why I am here.>

<My... Sifu would quite to see you. This Golden Lord creature - surely you've heard of it - has been wreaking havoc on our defenses. We've even lost some students to the qi-backlash.> She sighs. <I was so relieved when I heard you saved Fei Lun. We thought we lost her.>

<So, I am here to escort you to our monastery, so that Xiao can personally explain our predicament and, hopefully, receive the aid of this town's heroes.>

She hops down onto the floor, straightens the front of her skirt and turns to you.

<Well then. Shall we be off?>

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Tam "the Boulder" Tsang

The Boulder's pecs bounce in agreement.

<Yes. We shall leave soon, I will just gather the others and as soon as everyone is ready we shall make our way.>

He smiles at the nun, and with a graceful half bow that shows off his rippling muscles he goes to collect the others.

code:
Tam "the Boulder" Tsang
Might, Earth, Passion

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Johnny

Johnny is typing away on his phone.

Anyone else believe that crap? Think this will be a fight. Or a trap. Or both!

code:
Johnny
Death, Luck, Time

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
EM

"Who cares, if it gets us to the monastery? Make the most of this little gift falling into The Boulder's lap, as it were."

Sub-negative effort.

code:
EM, 

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
Joey

phone posting from europe, excuse the lack of effort

Joey types back, Anything that gets us to the monastery is a-okay with me. Also the giant monuments to the Boulder's pecs were hilarious for about, like, ten minutes but now it's really starting to creep me out. You know those paintings with the eyes that follow you around the room? Imagine that, but nipples.

code:
Joey
Endurance, Night, Fire

HP: 15/15 	 AC: 1	
Effort: [][][][]
Inf: 3/3	 Dom: 0 available, 2 used
Attack: +4 1d10 Fire damage (magic) or 1d8 mace (physical)

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Roth

Sure. Why not? Roth shakes his head. He was expecting the encounter with Wen to play out this way, but not prepared to actually watch it happen. Speaking of prepared, Not that I've got no faith in the Boulder's knack for winning people over, but yeah, I'd believe there's a pretty good chance she'll betray us.

code:
Lionel Reese
Fate, Sword, Alacrity

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 1, 2017

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Johnny

Johnny is typing away on his phone.

Lets just go then and kick this guys rear end and get this over with

code:
Johnny
Death, Luck, Time

Quornes fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 5, 2017

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Negative Effort Slathered Over Forever Days

Note: Since this is happening days after the whole thing at the estate, you get your Effort back.

So you head out.

Your procession is seen out of the town by a few of the former thugs and a bunch of the statues of you-know-who. The one that's just him in the posing trunks, oiled up and flexing, seems especially sad to see you go. You walk between his legs to leave the town, perhaps wave a fond goodbye to his taint overhead, then head into the woods.

Turns out to get to the monastery you just keep walking. Wen performs no dramatic rituals, nor any naked dancing (unless, of course, any of you oblige us) - in fact, the entire trip is disappointingly mundane. There is something odd about the way Wen walks; she makes a few odd steps during the hours-long trip, a few awkward shuffles, but there is no pattern about them that you are able to grasp. You enter the arcane fog with no ill effect - in fact, it seems to dissipate around you. At about noon you step out of it and are greeted by the sight of the monastery, nested near the summit of the mountain, resplendent in it's freshly built glory in the warm glow of the afternoon sun, its painted, slightly sloping walls covered in gold-colored calligraphy. Yet, as you approach it closer, some of you more familiar with Dulimbaian culture realize it feels... off, somehow. Instead of the sense of calm and contemplation that the Taoist Temples are usually built to cultivate through architecture and feng shui, you just feel... restlessness and a sense of desperation.

The gates are not closed; you follow Wen through. On the other side is a winding maze of greenery, rough stone slabs forming a twisting path through it, the smells pungent, the air stifling. At one point, you detect the stench of decay wafting from somewhere nearby and then, as you glance down a sidepath to your left, in the distance you glimpse a small clearing with some corpse orchids growing on bamboo frames. You keep on going.

You make one more turn and enter a bright, sunny courtyard flanked by three curved-roofed buildings. In the center, there is a small hexagonal pavilion, six living gingko trees forming its pillars. Inside, Xiao:

He smiles at you, rises from the small redwood table that he's sitting at, sets aside his calligraphy brush and briskly walks toward you, patting his hands clean. You notice his feet aren't quite touching the ground.

"Ah. About time you arrived." He offers a small nod to Wen and flicks his long, black beard with his hand. "I am Real Man Xiao. Would you like some refreshments?"

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Johnny

"Well I wouldn't mind a glass of just ice"

code:
Johnny
Death, Luck, Time

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Roth

Roth had been ready for trouble since they cleared the fog (they still hadn't figured out how it worked, either). The creepy atmosphere of the monastery only makes him more tense. Also, Xiao's beard flick. He had seen those movies before. "No, thanks. We're here to find out how you're..." He glances at the man's feet. "Doing that."

code:
Lionel Reese
Fate, Sword, Alacrity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The Last GM Post

I detect a certain lack of gushing, shiversome enthuasiasm in your posting - and the lack thereof - and, quite frankly, my own creative loins are hardly aflame with posting-fire anymore these days either, so I am making an executive decision to wrap this poo poo up hard.

-----------------------------------

Xiao smiles at Roth with paternal fondness, as one does at an incontinent puppy.

"Ah yes. That would the centuries of arcane practice and my faultless mastery over the five elements, as well as life and death. Speaking of which," he raises a long-nailed hand, "die."

He starts frying all of you in turn with bolts of pure qi. You fight back. Wen, instead of aiding either party, shrieks and runs into cover. Xiao gloats as he activates gift after gift negating your damage and blasts you with death-force, but as you keep whooping that duocentenarian rear end, the gloating ceases, then turns into grim defiance. There is some aerial combat in the skies above the monastery, there are shenanigans with drawing more Effort from Elemental Rocks in one of the buildings; it'd be pretty fun in a game that isn't this one. Here are his stats in the book:

quote:

Real Man Xiao: HD 8, AC 6, Two attacks at +10/1d6 straight damage qi blast, Move 60’ fly or 30’ run, Saves 11+, Effort 5. Bound to the Words of Health, Endurance, and Sky, and can take two actions per round.

Somewhat of a bitch in comparison to your overengineered lot, to be honest. But yeah, you destroy him. He crumples onto, and then into, dust. You've done it - Real Man Xiao is dead. A gaggle of terrified students rush out of the dormitory and tearfully thank you for saving them for what would surely be unpleasant death. Wen, who more or less waited to see who'd win then joined you at the last moment to finish off Xiao, does the "well that's lovely good job guys wow look at the time I'll be off then right" and tries to slink away.

It's all over. You are now undisputed masters of your destiny. What greatness awaits you? I suppose that's up to you. Should you wish to write a post about what your character decides to do next, I encourage you to do so. If you have any questions about the game, ask them here or in Discord.

I rather enjoyed this. Mostly the moments after having posted my posts, that bladder-just-emptied glee flooding me as I chuckled at my own jokes, but you as players and your characters were lovely as well. High fives all around.

gently caress PbP, tho.

• Locked thread