Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009
Hey guys.

I live in a small apartment in Florida where my central unit is currently making GBS threads the bed. My landlord sent out an AC repairman to assess and repair the problem (today, 5/16), and ended up talking the guy into just recharging the freon instead of replacing the old (and apparently, very dirty) unit. Lo and behold, it cooled the apartment down about two degrees before going back up to 80 degrees. I contacted him and he basically admitted he doesn't have the money to replace my unit entirely and is looking at mini split ductless systems and, I assume, installing it himself.

In my research so far, it seems like a decent ductless unit that could actually cool my apartment would cost around $2,000, whereas I know a reputable guy who could replace the central unit for about 3500.

Are ductless systems just glorified wall units? Since my place already has ducts, would it just be better to replace the condenser and be done with it? What are the pros and cons to each system in this matter?

I saw cheaper mini split systems online for sub $1,000, but in the Florida heat that's coming up, I'm nervous that it won't be much better than my current situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
We had a single cheap mini-split unit in Florida. It was pretty good, they have a lot of the benefits of both things - no condensation and mold in ducts, better efficiency, easier install, noisiest part is outside. The down side is if you want to cool your whole house you have multiple units, which means more things to break/maintain, and there's still fans in the wall part so it's a little bit noisier than distant fans feeding vents.

Also, up-and-down side, instead of the gunked up filters and poo poo being all in one place where you never look, you get to see fluff forming on the vent, and you have to go to each vent to clean it.

We went that way mostly to avoid the big install of ducts, so if you already have the ducts I'd say you're probably better off using them. But mini-splits are fine too.

Edit: also our mini-split functioned as a heat pump the other way, so you could get efficient heat from it in the two days of Florida winter too.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
The mini split units look like poo poo, there's a huge protruding unit in every room and each one has a blower.

I live in CA, arguably the most expensive state in the country, and even *I* could find a guy to come replace a compressor/condenser on a forced air unit for $3500. That's for sure what I'd do, but if the guy doesn't have the scratch, then he just doesn't have the scratch.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

What about a window, OP?

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009
Window units aren't bad but this place was advertised with Central air and I'm pretty sure it's mentioned in the lease. I haven't had Central air in Florida for like five years, I'm not about to give it up.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
If this guy needs $ and you are losing central air, it is the perfect time to grind him for $100/mo discount "and at least you won't end up with a vacancy".

It's worth a shot.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

photomikey posted:

If this guy needs $ and you are losing central air, it is the perfect time to grind him for $100/mo discount "and at least you won't end up with a vacancy".

It's worth a shot.

This is a reasonable request. Check your lease - as you said, it generally covers what appliances/amenities are included, and central air/heat will almost certainly be on that list. I understand the guy can't swing a new A/C unit, but this will affect your QoL if the new mini split winds up being insufficient. It will almost certainly be louder than central air. That said, my gut instinct is that a mini split will be just fine for you (for keeping things cool) IF your place is sufficiently insulated.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Maybe do a "I'll float you the extra $1500, and you just discount my rent $X amount till its repaid, plus maybe a bit extra for my trouble."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

It's pretty hilarious the cost for one mini split install was close to put in a whole new 21 seer 3 ton system with new duct work. HVAC dudes don't want to waste their time with mini splits, which is unfortunate that they are cheap and efficient. I still need to get one for my backyard office but probably going to get a handyman to install and pay a hvac dude to charge it.

• Locked thread