Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
i finally am right-side up on my mortgage right now

well, for now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Typo posted:

after trump loses in 2020,

LMAO

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

mister magpie posted:

hey guys there is a housing bubble rn in us again because rofl we don't actually learn any lessons and/or don't care about poor people getting hosed when our greed tanks the economy

2008 taught us that destroying the world economy is EXTREMELY profitable

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Hodgepodge posted:

honestly if c-spam really is just liberal shitposting, it's kind of sad because that means in reality we're the neoliberal memes we pretend to mock

nah were shitposting about neolibs being dum

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Typo posted:

just in time for the 2018 midterms (maybe)

nah who am I kidding 2nd (3rd) great depression in 2021 after trump loses in 2020, democrats take the blame and the GOP nominates trump but competent in 2024

you are gettin' the hang o' this!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Best Giraffe posted:

2008 taught us that destroying the world economy is EXTREMELY profitable

turns out if you socialize all the losses the richest suffer, they can turn around and immediately invest all that money in the things middle class people have to sell to eat.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

mister magpie posted:

hey guys there is a housing bubble rn in us again because rofl we don't actually learn any lessons and/or don't care about poor people getting hosed when our greed tanks the economy

it's more that the actual, real, productive economy has been gradually seeing a decrease in the rate of profit since the 1960s and the only profitable investments people can find these days to keep their businesses afloat are insane gambling ventures like subprime mortgages

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Vermain posted:

it's more that the actual, real, productive economy has been gradually seeing a decrease in the rate of profit since the 1960s and the only profitable investments people can find these days to keep their businesses afloat are insane gambling ventures like subprime mortgages

i like to think of them as beautiful mortgage submarines

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

there is no bubble in the US, it's hidden in London

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Commerz posted:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cORByn will save us all

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Commerz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Ffr1U7KMY

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

mister magpie posted:

if there isn't a full on bubble with the housing market yet, there will be soon-ish. tromp / his administration decided not to renew the federal HAMP program that gave assorted protections to low-income homeowners and first-time home buyers, and they're working their asses off to repeal Dodd-Frank too. if fewer people are able to participate in home buying again, it'll either crash things when:

a. there's too much back-stock on existing homes and prices drop accordingly when it becomes a buyer's market, thereby catastrophically lowering the value of the average home well below the outstanding mortgage balance

b. or it'll crash when the banks realize a. is looming on the horizon, so they start offering mortgages to anyone that can fog a mirror, and the market gets flooded with bullshit loans that inflate the prices of the existing homes, and we'll literally get to watch 2007-08 happen again in real-time

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Freaking Crumbum posted:

if there isn't a full on bubble with the housing market yet, there will be soon-ish. tromp / his administration decided not to renew the federal HAMP program that gave assorted protections to low-income homeowners and first-time home buyers, and they're working their asses off to repeal Dodd-Frank too. if fewer people are able to participate in home buying again, it'll either crash things when:

a. there's too much back-stock on existing homes and prices drop accordingly when it becomes a buyer's market, thereby catastrophically lowering the value of the average home well below the outstanding mortgage balance

b. or it'll crash when the banks realize a. is looming on the horizon, so they start offering mortgages to anyone that can fog a mirror, and the market gets flooded with bullshit loans that inflate the prices of the existing homes, and we'll literally get to watch 2007-08 happen again in real-time

i'm gonna go with b for 500, because lol if we think the business class has to learn from or pay for it's mistakes, just lol

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

i'm gonna go with b for 500, because lol if we think the business class has to learn from or pay for it's mistakes, just lol

and I just saw that the House (led by the illustrious Paul Ryan) is set to vote to repeal Dodd-Frank next Friday. just watch the dominoes fall

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Will TARP 2.0 be twice as big, or even bigger?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Freaking Crumbum posted:

and I just saw that the House (led by the illustrious Paul Ryan) is set to vote to repeal Dodd-Frank next Friday. just watch the dominoes fall

Dodd-Frank did little to nothing to curb the culture of rampant stupid risk taking, it just made it harder to leverage everything and lose it all at once. So yeah its going to terrifyingly hilarious when that very basic stricture is removed

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Freaking Crumbum posted:

yep

so true

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Not a Step posted:

Dodd-Frank did little to nothing to curb the culture of rampant stupid risk taking, it just made it harder to leverage everything and lose it all at once. So yeah its going to terrifyingly hilarious when that very basic stricture is removed

but that one mid-level manager from AIG or HSBC or where ever went to jail as the patsy for the entire industry. our problems are solved and the system is redeemed!

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Its going to be fun if it takes down the SV startup sector with it. Or lenders try to call their markers on student debt.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

If San Francisco burns in a fire or its own making the next bubble might actually be worth it.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Not a Step posted:

If San Francisco burns in a fire or its own making the next bubble might actually be worth it.

but i live in San Francisco

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Top City Homo posted:

but i live in San Francisco

My deepest apologies. When the bubble bursts please do the honorable thing and set the fires yourself

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Vermain posted:

Yep. You pretty much have to do insane leveraging to see the rates of return they want and luckily neoliberals are all too happy to allow that.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Not a Step posted:

My deepest apologies. When the bubble bursts please do the honorable thing and set the fires yourself

im collecting passports so i don't end up like a drat fugee

i suggest you do the same

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Top City Homo posted:

im collecting passports so i don't end up like a drat fugee

i suggest you do the same

If the EU offer the EU passport option to all current UK/EU citizens I will then have 4 passports. Kinda cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Commerz posted:

I don't know if the individual guys were good but dumb threads where communist anime gimmicks argue about abstract political topics is funnier to me than 1000 page threads of serious people earnestly posting their outrage at twitter liberals

communist anime gimmicks ftw

• Locked thread