Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
  • Spreadsheet
  • IRC: #vampireworld (irc.synirc.net)
  • Dice Roller: orokos.com (please use the Vampire World campaign tag)
  • The base dice expression for Orokos should be 2d6+X where X is your modifier.
This is an organizing thread for playtesting a PbtA hack based on Vampire: the Requiem with some further inspiration from Night's Black Agents and Urban Shadows, currently nicknamed "Vampire World" until a better name is given. Currently this is a closed recruitment for five players I know and trust. I'm not going to go on and on as I usually do about my expectations for my games and the like, you should all be pretty familiar by now. This will probably be relatively short, lasting maybe a month or so of PbP to get a feel. I need as much feedback as possible, and I have left a lot of the flavor unwritten until I get a feel for what really needs to be added in.

Since this is a playtest, use this thread for any of the following. If you are not one of my invited players, you can still post in this thread about the following as well, or chat with us on the IRC channel.
- Questions and concerns about the flavor or rules.
- Suggestions for new or existing flavor or rules.
- Theory-crafting at large.

IRC can be useful for immediate communication but I want to keep a "record" as much as possible of where things needed work so that when I go back to revise the drafts, I have something to work with, and hopefully keep it a more focused and serious effort than my Capers! hack which was mostly just slapped together. If all goes well after the month long playtest, I will likely, time permitting amid my other games, run a more long-term game.

The Play is the Thing
The first session should normally start in media res, setting up a major conflict or shift of power, usually with the destruction of someone the characters know, or the creation/introduction of a new vampire (whether one of the players or a NPC. Otherwise, sessions usually start at court, where the current power that be who holds the Prize is currently hosting their plots and schemes and the players get a chance through the session intro to be presented with conflicts to arrange and prepare for the coming nights, making deals and offers and relating their plans to each other. In between sessions there are usual timeskips, of weeks, or months, years or even decades and centuries depending on the scope of the game and as the fiction demands it.

There are two modes of play. First is the face-to-face interactions, of accumulating sympathies with each other, trying to live from night to night and addressing the problem immediately in front of you. You use your Edges and your vampiric Moves to exert a will in small, personal ways. The second mode is 'the Game', which is the competition between vampires for Status and recognition, a way to pass their years and establish a local pecking order. You can intermingle these two modes together, describing your plots and playing a little loosely with time. Moves such as stick to the plan actively entail you messing with the narrative, revealing your gambit that you prepared in advance for this eventuality, allowing you to feel like an immortal being that thinks in the long-term. The rhythm of the game is determined by escalation: The escalation of Hunger leading up to you having to slake your thirst or explode into Frenzy, the exhaustion of your pawns and pieces on the game board as you make your plays, and the callousing of your soul through Atrocity that leaves more and more permanent scars on your soul. This is player facing for the most part, though as the MC I will push here and there through these three avenues to keep you moving.

As a vampire, you represent both your individual character, and for the purposes of the story you are the highlighted member of your Clan. In true Gothic horror fashion, you are not long for this world in the story. Either through Atrocity, the plots of others, or ascending the ladder to a new stage of the Game, you should think of your character as one in a lineage, and how the sins of those who came before you weigh on you, and how yours will weigh upon those that will come after. Your Requiem Move keys off whenever you leave play, whether by being destroyed or retired, allowing you to leave a mark on the setting. If you retire to become an Atrocity or ascend the ladder of the Game, you may become a part of the setting itself.

Vampire World

Basic Playbooks
  • Clanbook: The Beast. The vampire as the intruder on the land, the violent stranger, the hungry killer. (Fangs/Sex)
  • Clanbook: The Haunt. The vampire as the twisted monster, the urban legend, the lonely wretch. (Fangs/Cloak)
  • Clanbook: The Lord. The vampire as the foreign subjugator, the violating gaze, the scheming spider. (Murder/Sex)
  • Clanbook: The Phantom. The vampire as the mysterious guest, the alien observer, the occult virus. (Cloak/Murder)
  • Clanbook: The Serpent. The vampire as the beguiling tempter, the parasitic succubus, the possessive philanderer. (Sex/Cloak)

Advanced Playbooks (none of these are ready for playtesting or even fully written, just conceptual spaces)
  • Playbook: The Prey. A human with a particularly potent attraction for vampires, an apple of discord thrown for them to compete over. (Sex/Murder)
  • Playbook: The Hunter. A human not just aware but prepared for the existence of vampires, who plays in the area between threat and asset. (Murder/Fangs)
  • Playbook: The Ghoul. A being that scavenges around the edges of vampire society, something between a vampire and a human. (Cloak/Sex)
  • Playbook: The Lich. A being that has made itself immortal with the essence of others by artificial means, joining the ranks of the Un-Dead. (Craft/Cloak)
  • Playbook: The Devil. A being of uncanny power from an outside force that seeks to influence the vampires towards its own ends. (Wish/Murder)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

The playtest chronicle will be Damnation City: Brooklyn, starting in the late 1970's in the New York borough of Brooklyn. Crime is rampant and the Big Apple is rotten to its core, and the bloodsuckers that inhabit it are no different. Taking cues from the vampire fictions and films of the time, just before the wave of Satanic panic to come, vampires obviously live with being a great evil, but it's a moment for humanizing them as well, since the very world that humanity lives in is so evil to begin with the parasites that live inside it aren't so bad to think about. This is about life on the streets and the little humanities (and inhumanities) to be found there. We'll get a clearer idea of the local brood once you start filling in your shoots, but consider this the based.

Our playtest players are Exrandu, reasonablysunny, GenuineRevelry, Antivehicular, and Theantero. Discuss and select your Clanbooks and concepts you are interested in. We need one player for each. I'd like to get a rough idea of where everyone falls by the end of the weekend, and we'll aim towards running through a story arc through to July. My effort will be lower than my other games but will try and make prompts every 48 hours, but I don't expect or need everyone to be as active as that in this, I don't mind skipping ahead in parts, just want to see how this plays and where it can be improved.

The assumptions of the game are
  • Vampires are unaging but not undying. It is possible for vampires to be destroyed, though they avoid it at all costs and usually refrain from seeking the final death of each other. They think in the long term even if their needs are immediate.
  • Vampires need to feed to sustain themselves. Though it need not be the classic medium of blood, vampires feed on life’s very essence and use that to sustain their undeath. Their feeding is sensual, violent, and potentially deadly. It must be from a living mortal as well.
  • Vampires live within but apart from humanity. More than just to feed, vampires feel a kinship and need with humanity, in a masked city that mirrors humanity. This is the core of their Gothic horror: Their inhumanities are the inhumanities of man, and a reflection of human sin.

The origin of vampires is…
... the lot of Hell and its devils. (a Satanic origin to reject or embrace)

Who knows about vampires?
The church. (and its vampire hunters)

How does one turn into a vampire?
Essence transfusion. (Think a drug narrative.)

All vampires… (keeping it classic)
… feed on blood
… are driven away by holy symbols
… can be destroyed by a stake through the heart
… cannot travel through sunlight

Our stories are the...
coyote stories of the young and newly turned, clawing to survive in the streets as scavengers and catspaws. (starting from the streets with the most narrow scope)

Tricky Dick Nixon fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 2, 2017

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

So I'm thinking Phantom or Serpent for my playbook. Does anyone else have thoughts on this? (I'm pretty open, admittedly, so I can be flexible; all of the playbooks look interesting.)

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Taken that this is a fairly short playtest, I think I'll roll a Lord, with a basic plotline of trying to revitalize her bloodline that has been bleeding prestige and influence for a long while now.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 2, 2017

GenuineRevelry
Aug 12, 2010

Decor Aficionado
I'll probably submit a Phantom unless we run into issues. I'm really open to anything.

smore of babylon
Apr 20, 2016

constantly attacked by giant snails
My preference is for the Haunt or the Lord, with a slight preference for the Haunt for now, but I'm easy with anything.

Exrandu
Jan 31, 2014

"Things need not have happened to be true."
Jumped in the IRC, interested in Serpent or Beast, can do any though.

EDIT:
I'll do BEAST so Antivehicular can grab Serpent and then everyone can do something they want!

Exrandu fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 2, 2017

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Looks like it is decided then.

Exrandu as The Beast.
reasonablysunny as The Haunt.
Theantero as The Lord.
GenuineRevelry as The Phantom.
Antivehicular as The Serpent.

Once you have a outline for the sheet and answers to the prelude, post them here. Once the sheets are filled, then you pick you Cousins and Vendettas, and any Leverage you have on the others.

I also made some significant changes to The Beast after I realized that I was never a big fan of the "wilderness wanderer" archetype and felt I would condense it more to the more "murderous stranger" archetype, adding some Jekyll/Hyde aspects to differentiate it more from the original Clan Gangrel, and adds a new mechanic that interacts with Atrocity in a hopefully interesting way. I changed The Pack mechanic to fit something more like the Brides of Dracula or the Lost Boys, as before it didn't really feel it had any real bite as well. I also more or less switched the Feeding Moves of the Beast and the Haunt: The Beast, like an animal attack, leaves scars in his wake and keeps people from the dark woods, even though through his Intimacy and Domain he starts to insert himself into peoples lives (like the original Lord Ruthven archetype of The Vampyre, who on one hand was a wild murderer and on the other hand a soon to be brother-in-law). The Haunt on the other hand despite wanting to push people away finds their curse sticking to them, the cycle of fear and curiosity, much more like an urban legend that can reappear at any time.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
"Vargskogen, Bluthorst, Dragović, Vermillon, Moreno, Accursio..."

The faintest of snarls.

"... and Carmine."

This but paler

"These are the seven, and of the seven you speak, when you speak of the great bloodlines of the Old Continent. Pure of origin and pure of conception, above the petty families, above the petty feuds. The original monarchs of the moonlit sky, the first rulers of the bats up high. August and mighty, worthy of reverence wherever they step, yes, this is what you're told. This is what I was told."

"And they're not incorrect. Certainly our prestige and influence is greater than those of the barely blooded wretches, muddied and impure pretenders as they are."

"...But not quite as much as it used to, in centuries past. After all no edifice, no matter how grand, can stand forever, unless maintained. Even the greatest works erode to ruin. I have been insistent on this since my conception. Many a time have I told my sire, that besides its vulgarity and that besides its lack of any true nobility, we should not turn our backs on the New Continent. For whilst they are our lessers, it cannot be denied that the New Continent is in many ways ascendant, while the Old... wanes. Thus, we ought to let our presence be known there as well, instead of chaining ourselves to the past. Who would be their rightful rulers if not us, I argued. And I argued with enough subtlety, I thought, as to not appear insolent."

"...Then I was told that if I thought so highly of the potential of the New Continent, why wouldn't I be the one to spearhead the family in there?"

"Yes, no doubt this was an attempt at a soft exile of sorts, by those elders who disliked my ideas. But I have proven I am not without merit: my first years here have been successful enough, that more eyes are starting to turn..."

quote:

Name: Cerise Carmine
Clanbook: The Lord
Appearance: Woman, Old Country, Detached Eyes, Calm Voice, Aristocratic Dress

The Clan: House Carmine
Theme: Vaguely European Dynasts
Tradition: Natural rulers of the night
Tell: Marble-like skin

Pawns
A gentleman's club: They might not have true nobility here, not to the degree of home. But the rich and the powerful always band together. And while in many ways garish and reeking of the tasteless taint of new money, the local 'gentry', the mortals who matter, they are the closest this place has to offer to the venerable families back home. It didn't take all that much to have them ingratiate themselves to me. They will be the filter through which our influence shall seep and drip onto the dwellers below.

A gaggle of wise guys: Mortals are amusing wretches. Often all you need to do is hang about some trinket in front of them, and they will do all kinds of things for you. Such as act as a mailed fist for a lady should such a thing be necessary, disconnected from her under the guise of plausible deniability as they may be.

Edges:
Murder: +2
Sex: +2
Fangs: +0
Cloak: -1

Status
Apex: 0
Bloodline: +2
Cacophony: -1
Domain: +1
Elysium: +0

Moves:
The Voice: When you speak with the lord’s voice, mark Hunger. If they are a PC, they roll to escape their bonds. For NPCs, roll with +Murder. On 10+, they do exactly what you wish and have no idea that anything is wrong. On a 7-9, you choose one:
-They realize exactly what you’ve done to them.
-They gently caress up your commands.
-Their sanity is unhinged.

Lineage: You come from a very distinguished line. Once per session you can use your +Bloodline in the stead of any other Status for a roll.

Children of the Night: Your control extends to the lesser beasts of the world as well. When you beckon the children of the night, mark Hunger and roll with +Sex. On a hit, a swarm of animals appropriate for the area and your preference appears. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. Spend your hold for one of the following:
-Take +1 forward to ravage them.
-Create an opportunity for an ally, or an opening for yourself.
-Provide a living shield. When you suffer supernatural harm, you may spend your hold instead of marking Hunger.

Haven:

A local mansion, built during the gilded age, secluded from the city proper, old and barely maintained. Guided tours of the abandoned halls available from nine to six, where the sad local attempts at emulating actual class are laid bare for all.

Well. That is what the mortals see. But what they see is an illusion, a shifted version, for they are not invited into my estate. Indeed, only those properly invited can enter the actual version of the estate, and perceive it in its true glory. And even those invited are not allowed to enter the true version of the master bedroom, for it is an illusion hidden behind an illusion, and only for me, and a carefully select few.

Only during the night of the full moon do these shifted versions collide, and for a moment inhabit the world at once. A time during which the roads are closed, and visitors barred, to guard us from unwanted scrutiny.

...No, I will not reveal how this magic works. I will only tell you it is an old magic, shared by the seven and a few other old bloodlines of the old continent. And I will tell you also: many of the old abandoned castles and chateaus of my homelands aren't quite as abandoned as you might think.

quote:

Who were you before you turned?
"I was far less than I am now. A member of an esteemed, aristocratic lineage, even though these too are waning now. Nevertheless, it was still a family that held influence, even though if only because, as I've later learned, largely due to having been a proxy of the Carmine bloodline for generations. I was the only daughter, thought beautiful, largely successful in my endeavors, possessing a certain grace lacking in most my peers, the aura of true nobility. Thus it was I who made the cut, back then."

quote:

How did you end up becoming a vampire?
"Yes, I was chosen by my sire. At first I knew this not, of course. He was but a friend of our family, and indeed, I had visited their estates before. Never alone, however, usually only with my then family. Now, I was not overtly curious, for Antonius Carmine had always been a good and trustworthy connection, not prone to the behaviors of baser folk. And taken that he told me it would concern my future endeavors, well, I could not exactly refuse now could I?"

"It turns out, he was not lying at all. The grand reveal, the induction ceremony ah, they don't quite hold anything like that on this hemisphere."

quote:

"What is the one reason you were found worthy?"
"The seven all hold long, long traditions on sharing their essence, as byzantine as they're ancient, refined by the experience of generations. In what situations it is to be done, what qualities are expected of those to be granted the honor, what sort of people are to be used as stock. Now, mostly this includes the proxy families, but others of great renown can also be nominated for the elders' consideration. The Vargskogen in particular are known to take in neonates from less cultured stock, even if this is perhaps more a necessity due to the lack of true noble families in the frigid north."

"As for the Carmine? Our bloodline has always valued presence, yes, the strong gaze and imperious stride. The cool collectedness of nobility. I best realized this back in the induction ceremony out of all those invited. Where the others who were brought were quick to ingratiate, quick to debase themselves and brown nose in sad attempts to gather favor, I retained my class. Those who acted in such a crass manner were quick to be discarded. Most knew to be polite, however. Most also were quick to read the room to such a degree to know that mortals were supposed to submit under the bloodlines, so they submitted."

"But I knew them to be fools. For whilst it's true that mortals are to be the servants, I alone realized that we were not brought there to be mortals. Those that still thought of themselves as such, were such allowed to remain. And after this culling, there were none left but I."

"Be polite, be deferential. But do not be unduly submissive, and always keep your eyes at the prize. A good set of lesson for anyone, even you, dear."

quote:

When did you make your first move in the Game?
"What a strange question. Everything we ever do is part of the Game, is it not? You could say the very first smile, the very first word I uttered after I was turned, was my first move of the Game."

"But yes, I realize of course you refer to something greater. Some grand plot. And yes, I do in fact have several to share. Shall we start with my entrance to local high society? See, a local business magnate had a weakness, for he adored his wife truly. Still, a vampire's caress was too much for him, and it did not take much for me to start an affair with him. One that he later regretted, and one that I was quick to forgive him for, and promised to keep it a secret from his wife. Now of course, for my kindness he was perfectly happy to make inroads for young lady Carmine, old money aristocrat and inheritor of a vast old country clothing manufacturer. He was also nice enough to not mention my more... duplicitous dealings. He even gave easy inroads for me to launder money at his businesses. Now of course, I didn't really have such dealings back then, not yet, but they were not for me anyway."

"See, his wife also played a part in this, and I had worked to become her confidant. Which I did, for I found out that one of the insiders at my newfound 'friend's' club was actually a mob boss. And taken his base mind, it was not hard for me to convince him to go after the wife. Now, the wife, much like the husband, was of loyal stock, so, I made her receptive like I had her husband. Alas, as she found out one sordid affair later, a mob boss is less likely to keep their demands modest unlike a lady like me. So, after I, as her confidant, suggested she tell me what bother her, she was quick to divulge that her secret was being ransomed for money, and she pleaded me for help. And I was quick to hint her towards the businesses his husband had granted me access to, the accounts and the codewords, so that she could launder money for the mob in lieu of payment, which the boss was very eager to accept as a great idea at our next club meeting."

"Thus, we have a magnate who has an affair with me, who thinks he allows me to launder money at his businesses to keep shut about it, but those businesses are in fact used by his wife, whom the mob believes they are manipulating for their own ends, even though the brains behind their boss is actually me."

"A simple plot, and a rickety one for sure, I shall admit, and one that I have enforced with other redundancies since, as is only natural. But it was quick, and the deftness at which the scion of the Carmine bloodline assembled such a numerous throng of pawns very soon after arrival did not go unnoticed or unheeded in the court of night. Indeed, it was known: we were here, and we had made our first move."

quote:

Where did you hide all the skeletons in your closet?
"Ahh, now, the estate is large, and exist in the many phases of the moon. There are halls and corridors there forever hidden, places you cannot find if you don't know to look. It is an ancient magic, one I still know poorly myself."

"But I do know it well enough to hide the occasional... thing."

quote:

"Why do you lower yourself to the level of the others?"
"My."

"Whilst it's true that the position of the Carmine bloodline might be a tad tarnished, and needs to be polished, it still remains that such work is for servants, does it not? They will just have to be shown that doing so for us is a great honor, instead of a mere job assigned by some lowborn taskmaster. Now naturally for this to work, the occasional taste of our radiance is in order for them to remain... suitably awed."

Relations:

A sip of wine.

"I shall be frank with you, dear. But the words I utter now shall be between me and you alone. A certain lack of tact in polite society can lead in a pointless uproar that nobody wants after all, no?"

quote:

Cousin: The Nameless
"There are places, you understand, where a lady does not step foot. Yet the scummy underbelly of society does not stop existing merely because we would will it, and neither can it be totally ignored due to the variety of troublesome vermin it can spawn. That is why it is understood, you see, that a person of noble lineage is to have, ahh, contacts. Proxies. Someone that keeps an eye on all the distasteful goings on of the lower classes in our stead. For this purpose these nameless wanderers do fine."

quote:

Vendetta: The Bonepickers
"Not all wretches deserve such recognition, of course. These ghastly things tread the gutters, apparently convinced they have some sort of purpose? I remain unconvinced. Sad scrambling for scraps of a meaningful existence by ghouls whose greatest mercy would likely be their own eradication."

quote:

Vendetta: The Sons of St. Sebastian
"Tsk."

"There are few things more aggravating than false confidence, and false pride. Here we have distasteful, garish upstarts who think they have 'history'. Young spawns of a young nation, what history could they possibly have? Their traditions are idle and juvenile, they lack the gravitas of those that possess an actually distinguished past. Yet in the fraction of the time, they've somehow managed to fall to levels of depravity many times worse than even the grandest excesses of any of the Seven."

Leverage

quote:

Tom Pitch showed you genuine respect once and you never forgot it. You give 1-Sympathy to them.
"Hmm, hmm, yes, I cannot say I dislike that man. The time we met, there seemed to be a genuine sort of admiration in the way they addressed me. Distinctly different from the local gaggle that wants to meet me for inroads with Carmines. This seemed more personal."

"Hmm, no, not opposed to him at all. What was his name again, Hitch? Pitch? I'll look into him later..."

quote:

Rivka Freir will not bow to you no matter how desperate you are for it. You give 2-Sympathy to them.
"Yes, the Freir girl. My chief informant. This arrangement is of course both necessary and too useful for me to discard out of something so ahh, personal, but the fact she apparently on purpose spits at the clear power structures at play in our relationship never ceases to irk me."

quote:

Carl "Chaz" Vandervliet pays you homage for your support, quid pro quo. You take 1-Sympathy on them.
"Ah, Mr. Vandervliet. He is actually a member of those hooligans, the Sons of St. Sebastian. However, he exuded a... different sort of aura to his peers. Less idle hedonism, more will and more ambition. So I heard him out. And apparently, he is tired of getting things handed to him, and is seeking out to prove himself, for his own sake, or some such other reason. Nevertheless, due to his drive for individual achievement, he is looking for new allies outside those his father could provide, and as it happens we Carmines are both powerful and fairly new to the local scene."

"Thus, a deal struck, between him, and between me. He gets access to our not inconsiderable sympathies, I get yet another key to the heart of local figures of power."

Theantero fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 12, 2017

GenuineRevelry
Aug 12, 2010

Decor Aficionado
So much more to do but here's the groundwork for my Phantom with a little bit of fluff

quote:

Name: Rivka Freir
Clanbook: The Phantom
Appearance: Woman, Local Flavor, Dead Eyes, Whispering Tone, Casual Clothing

The Clan: Rats, Finks, Barks, Bleats, Vipers, Turn Chirps, Cryslers, a clan with no name but a sour reputation. Here and now? Narks
Theme: The Eyes and Ears of the City Streets
Tradition: Feed only on people who have made your city their home
Tell: Casts no shadow

Pawns
A band of teenage miscreants, the abandoned tunnels where trains no longer go

Edges:
Murder: +1
Sex: +0
Fangs: -1
Cloak: +2

Status
Apex: 0
Bloodline: -1
Cacophony: +2
Domain: +1
Elysium: +1

Moves:

Unseen Presence
So long as no one is looking for you, and you do not draw attention to yourself, you may remain unnoticed. When someone is looking for you, you may mark Hunger and roll with +Cloak. On a hit, you remain unnoticed. On a 7-9, choose one.
They know you are there, just not where.
They will find you eventually if you tarry too long.
You will leave clues of your passage when you leave.

□ Secret Garden
You tend to the lives of others in secret, making small adjustments to their reality without ever revealing yourself. When you stalk them through the night, add the following option in lieu of a question: Mark Hunger to take 1-Sympathy on them. Doing so will leave clues of your passing through.

□ Don’t Blink
You can vanish and reappear in another place, moving impossibly fast, melding with shadows or simply teleporting in between eyeblinks. Mark Hunger to create an opening to get out, and you may roll with +Cloak instead of +Fangs.

Prelude

Rivka is the second child and eldest daughter of Jewish immigrants. Her father David was an apprentice watchmaker. Her mother Shayna was a seamstress, but even more so, a community figure. Often, the two youngest children, Michael and Aliza, were left in Rivka's care. Benjamin was the eldest child, he played football and was going to go to medical school. Rivka grew jealous and rebellious of her brother's freedom from the confines of their home and the responsibilities of their family. The final straw came the summer after Rivka had graduated high school, the second year with Benjamin abroad. Rivka had grown more and more rebellious under the mounting stress and claustrophobic nature of her burden.

One day, something happened with Rivka's mother. Something small and petty, nothing hopeles,, but it was all too much. So Rivka ran away.

Overdose. Cold, hopeless, alone. I was always running away, chasing some bigger and better high, but this stuff was different. This was the kind of stuff you die and you wake right back up.

What is one thing you know that no one else does?

Something is lurking in the blood of this city and it's as much a danger to us as it is them. Sex and dirty needles. I see the way it lingers on their lips like gossip in the borough. It's filthy and disgusting. I think I love it. I need to collect the infected and gain its insight.

When was the time right to first reveal yourself?

They were panicking. None of them saw it the way I did. They saw an anomaly. I knew a plague. So I made myself known with plagued lambs. They would not dare strike them down. Now, this city knows my name.

Where do all the portents lead you?

The portents lead to a new future. They lead to enlightenment. The lead to evolution. We're just a half step. We need this.

Why do you tell the others any amount of truth?

No one wants to hear lies. They want to hear the right truth. Lies are superfluous. They are inherently wasteful. That's why people don't trust them. That's why you use the truth.

GenuineRevelry fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 9, 2017

smore of babylon
Apr 20, 2016

constantly attacked by giant snails

quote:

The Haunt
Sylvia "Sylvie" Kaufmann

The vampire as the twisted monster, the urban legend, the pitiful wretch.

Look
Woman, Local Flavor, Sad Eyes, Childish Voice, Shabby Clothing

The Clan: the Bonepickers

You are part of a family of vampires that are gruesome but cunning, terrifying but self-loathing. They occupy the deep places, though not always underground.
Theme: funeral home of the Un-Dead
Tradition: tend to the dead and raise the forgotten
Tell: unsettlingly corpse-like

Pawns: a bunch of meddling teens, sewer maps

Haven: the basement of the Bachmeier Brothers Funeral Home's crematory, affectionately known as "Salem"

Edges
Murder +0 (go for the neck, stick to the plan)
Sex -1 (temptation, pass among mortals)
Fangs +2 (ravaging, get out)
Cloak +2 (stalking, mind games)

Status (Game +2)
□ Apex +1 (call out)
□ Bloodline +0 (petition elders)
□ Cacophony +2 (put ear down)
□ Domain -1 (till the fields)
□ Elysium +0 (poison the well)

Haunt Moves (start with Dread and two more)
Dread
You naturally unsettle those around you, and people often hallucinate horrific imagery and haunted phenomena around you that you can describe if not directly control. When you show them what terror is, roll with +Fangs. On a hit, they give you an opening or flee. On a 10+, choose one. On a 7-9, choose two.
  • You frighten others you had not intended to scare.
  • You hurt someone or break something you shouldn’t have.
  • You give someone else an opening.

☑ Masque
You can change your appearance by marking Hunger, though you cannot mimic someone in particular and only appear as a facsimile of something you imagine. When others try to peer underneath the masque, roll +Cloak. On a hit, they see nothing. On a 7-9, choose one.
  • The disguise will not last much longer.
  • They will later realize you were a monster.
  • You give them an opening.

☑ Tunnel Rat
You know how to get into all the hidden places of the city through places no one else would dare tread. When you squirm through the cracks, roll +Fangs. On a hit, you get access to that place. On a 10+, choose two. On a 7-9, choose one.
  • You can take others with you.
  • You slip in unnoticed.
  • You have a means of escape.

quote:

Nobody, absolutely nobody. I didn't ever have much of a life, really. My ma got sick when I was pretty young, 11 or 12, and my dad wasn't around. So after high school I got a job at the drug store down the street and that's where I worked, when I wasn't taking care of Ma. She was real hard. Got meaner as she got sicker. So I never dated, never left the neighborhood much. Spent my whole life within a four block square, more or less, 'cause there was always Ma, and what she'd say about me if I went out, or made friends... I thought sometimes about leaving, but, she was still my Ma, you know?

Except then I did leave. I mean, it was an accident. Choked on a turkey sandwich in the backroom at the drug store, and nobody found me 'til my lunch was over, I guess. Not much of a last meal.

quote:

Hersch used to come into the drugstore, I guess, and when I came across the table, he remembered me. Vouched for me. Said I'd done him a good turn once, I guess, even though I didn't remember it. Hersch is real hard to remember, when he tries to be. A lot of us, we were either nobodies or less than nobodies, and I guess I was enough of a nobody. Crutch'd be the one that turned me. He's the oldest. He's got the final say.

quote:

What is the worst thing you’ve ever done?

I try real hard not to... I mean, I know what we are. What we all are. Us, my family, we don't forget what we are, unlike some of these guys. They think they're something special because somebody bit somebody way back in Italy or something. But us, we can't pretend we're not monsters. We just try not to be the worst of them. We try to make peace for the dead, so they can move on, really move on. This is only better than being dead 'cause my life wasn't no good, and now I got people.

But I did go back once, to my old house. I took care of my Ma one last time. I'm not proud of that, but... you shoulda heard what she said to me.

quote:

When was your first hazing by night society?

They really hate us, you know? A lot of them do, even after all we do. They don't care about anybody but themselves, alive or dead.

Rach and I, we were out in Vinegar Hill 'cause Crutch said there was a body out that way and would we get it. So we were out there, where Crutch said to be, except it turned out we were early, and the other guys hadn't made the body yet. We found 'em as they were about to drain the guy. And one of the others, they were real jumpy, and she just started laughing. I think they must have hated the guy already, instead of just finding easy pickings like some of them do, because she started laughing at him, saying "Your next appointment's here, darling. All your lovers are positively lining up for you." But they hated us, too, so they didn't just drain him. Everything they didn't drink, they made sure to spill, and they tore him up, too. Then they watched us pick up the pieces, and they laughed.

They've done worse to me since, but that was the first time. That was when I knew.

quote:

Where do you go when they reject you?

Us, we got free range of the graveyards, more or less. Sometimes there's somebody else out there, but we're real good at not being seen. A lot of times, I just go out somewhere in Salem Fields or Greenfield and curl up by a monument somewhere. That's when I wanna be somewhere green. There ain't that much green in the city, so it's nice. Peaceful, right? Or sometimes I just go put on a face and I walk around a little while. I'm used to being on my own.

quote:

Why are you willing to be hurt in order to be seen?

Crutch told me once, he figured I'd spent all my time for a long time just trying not to hurt. I figure he's right about that. I tried all my time under the sun to make everybody happy, and all that made me was furniture, as far as anybody else was concerned. Now at least I got a family. We can be real hard to look at, but we're used to each other by now. Sometimes, though, you just want... you just want somebody to look you in the fuckin' eye, even though they don't have to.

quote:

Cousins
"The Narks, they get a bad rap but they're not so bad. Some of the places we walk, they walk, too. We see each other around, help each other out sometimes. The nights get long if you're all alone."

Vendetta
"Carmine. Buncha goddamned parasites who think they're something. Smart, they think. Well, I hear even the other 'aristocratic' types won't give 'em the time of day. All of the ones over here, they're the ones they didn't want back in the old country. And money don't make you smart, neither. It just means you got more to lose. And these other ones, the fraternity types, they're just as bad. Their idea is to stay a bunch of horny kids forever. How they don't all go out of their minds with boredom, I don't know."

Leverage
Tom Pitch showed you unexpected kindness. You give 1-Sympathy to them.
Someone knows exactly what to call you to shut you down. You give 2-Sympathy to them.
Someone shudders every time your name is mentioned. You take 1-Sympathy on them.

smore of babylon fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 13, 2017

Exrandu
Jan 31, 2014

"Things need not have happened to be true."
The Beast, Tom Pitch
The vampire as the intruder on the land, the violent stranger, the hungry killer.
Suggestions about playing The Beast.

Look
Man
Local Flavor
Feral Eyes
Deep Voice
Disheveled Clothing

The Clan, Kurb
You are part of a family of vampires that are feral but free, nomadic but territorial. They occupy the wild places, though not always the wilderness. Write down your Clan’s name, and then underline a Theme, a Tradition, and a Tell below, or write in your own. Optionally, your Clan may switch one answer for “All Vampires…” for another, with MC discretion.

Theme: Serial killer cab drivers

Tradition: Only turn the strong

Tell: Reflective eyes like a cat.

Pawns
A Beast starts with two pawns. You can have a maximum number of pawns equal to your Game modifier. Underline two of the following or write in your own, and list any other pawns you gain in play here:
Taxi garage, a dirty cop

Haven
You have a safe place to rest and for your body to be kept when in torpor. Normally no one knows where your haven is, and you are safe there. Decide where the haven is and what it looks like. It should be personal to your character, not to their Clan or anything else.

Haven: Junkyard on the edge of town

When your character enters torpor, you may exhaust one of your pawns, as appropriate, to be safely taken away to your Haven. You may always appear in a scene that takes place at your Haven, so long as it fits the fiction.

If your Haven is compromised, you can change it to a new one at the beginning of a session, though you must exhaust an appropriate pawn to do so.

Edges
Murder -1 (go for the neck, stick to the plan)
Sex +2 (temptation, pass among mortals)
Fangs +2 (ravaging, get out)
Cloak +0 (stalking, mind games)

Status (Game +2)
□ Apex +1 (call out)
□ Bloodline +0 (petition elders)
□ Cacophony +0 (put ear down)
□ Domain +1 (till the fields)
□ Elysium -1 (poison the well)

Prelude

quote:

Recently released convict who murdered his wife

quote:

Couldn’t find work and went looking in the wrong (right?) place

quote:

What are you looking for in this town?
Sacrifices to keep the demons at bay

quote:

When did you first come around these parts?
A decade ago more or less

quote:

Where did you originally come from?
Newcastle, United Kingdom

quote:

Why are you tired of being alone?
Killing has lost its edge

Once you've finished your prelude, introduce your character to the other players, and then determine your starting relationships with each other.

Beast Moves
☑ The Passenger
You are more in tune with your Hunger, giving it a form and a personality that presents as a murderous reflection. When you look in the mirror of your soul, roll +Fangs. On a hit, take a dark turn. While riding it out switch your Sex and Murder Edges. On a 10+, take +1 forward. While you let your passenger ride, any Atrocity you accrue instead is taken by the passenger, noted below. It can use any Atrocity Moves you have yourself learned. You can only return back to your normal state if you trigger a feeding move, intimacy move, or after a frenzy.

Passenger’s Atrocity □ □ □ □ □

☑ Extremely Hard to Kill
You do not need to mark Hunger for the first time you suffer catastrophic or supernatural harm or are confronted with a bane in a scene.

☑ Nowhere to Run
When someone tries to get out and run away from you, mark Hunger and hold 1. Spend that hold to appear in whatever scene they are in next.

Cousins
The Bonepickers
“Each of us a part of a holy machine, the infernal coin of nature. One side of that coin, the predator who culls the weak. The other? Those that take what is left and put it to use. Their purpose is no less holy nor any less necessary.”

Vendetta
Narks
“They witness those works should remain unseen but have not the courage to reveal their own true nature.”

The Sons of St. Sebastian
“We are meant to be hunters, not whores. They take pleasure in their work where they should only find necessity.”

Leverage
The Serpent helped you when you were hungry and desperate. You give 1-Sympathy to them.
The Lord can make you feel like nothing but a stupid animal. You give 2-Sympathy to them.
The Phantom lives or spends time in your territory, and is in your power. You take 1-Sympathy on them.

Exrandu fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Still a WIP, but here's what I have so far:

quote:

Carl "Chaz" Vandervliet, The Serpent
The vampire as the beguiling tempter, the parasitic succubus, the possessive philanderer

Look: Man, Local Flavor, Bored Eyes, Youthful Voice, Fashionable Clothing

The Clan, the Sons of St. Sebastian (and Daughters of St. Perpetua, or "Children of the Martyrs" for mixed groups)
You are part of a family of vampires that are wanton but alluring, gracious but insincere. They occupy wherever they can be seen, though not always at the center of attention. Write down your Clan’s name, and then underline a Theme, a Tradition, and a Tell below, or write in your own. Optionally, your Clan may switch one answer for “All Vampires…” for another, with MC discretion.

Theme: a Greek Life college house that has partied since Constantinople
But one of your classy ones, you understand, more a secret society than a fraternity booze-up -- that's how you get the most interesting applicants, the really desperate for a whiff of power. It's certainly what got me. The Sons of St. Sebastian claim a long history of 'academic and social excellence' going back to the New Amsterdam days in America alone; some of the oldest brothers surely remember it, when they can be bothered to remember much at all. Tedious old sots.

Tradition: Feed only on the "willing"
Don't think it's about virtue. It's more about the fun of it, and being just a touch sporting. The most delicious prey are the ones you've fattened up all night on your attention, convinced that you're their plaything, and left in such a self-satisfied pleasure stupor that they'll magnanimously agree when you ask them for just one little favor.

Tell: Leaves bloody handprints and footprints
The stigmata of the martyrs. It's good that gloves are always in style, and boots so often are too.

Pawns
A Serpent starts with two pawns. You can have a maximum number of pawns equal to your Game modifier. Underline two of the following or write in your own, and list any other pawns you gain in play here:

the old hotel where the real Eyes Wide Shut parties are at
The Greenbriar Arms, an unremarkably shoddy little Brooklyn hotel, has a clientele that appreciates an unremarkable facade. A kinky clientele, mostly breeders, and as self-obsessed as kinky breeders always are. You'd think they invented loving. But they appreciate the discretion, and they tip the counter boy well to keep their secrets. I'm the counter boy, of course; I also own the place, and the office full of fascinating little files, but they don't have to know that, do they?

a shitload of drugs
Heroin, mostly. A true wonder of medicine, heroin: excellent at making people sweet and pliable, or happily unconscious, or delightedly dead. It buys a lot of favors, even from the kind of people who swear they wouldn't be caught dead with a "simpering little fruit" like me. That's the wonder of heroin again: disposing of those sorts of unpleasant former friends without dirtying my hands. Such a versatile tool.

Haven
You have a safe place to rest and for your body to be kept when in torpor. Normally no one knows where your haven is, and you are safe there. Decide where the haven is and what it looks like. It should be personal to your character, not to their Clan or anything else.

Haven: The Bosworth Athletic Club, on Clinton Street
The former Bosworth Athletic Club, I should say; they closed in the '50's, and a few attempts at taking over the space went under before I could snatch it up. It's one of those old dank city gymnasia, all wood and tile and the miasma of decades of dedication to the physical. It's amusing to be reminded of the days when I had to cultivate my strength that way, and wood and tile cleans up very nicely when the parties take a turn.

When your character enters torpor, you may exhaust one of your pawns, as appropriate, to be safely taken away to your Haven. You may always appear in a scene that takes place at your Haven, so long as it fits the fiction.

If your Haven is compromised, you can change it to a new one at the beginning of a session, though you must exhaust an appropriate pawn to do so.

Edges
Murder +0 (go for the neck, stick to the plan)
Sex +2 (temptation, pass among mortals)
Fangs +0 (ravaging, get out)
Cloak +1 (stalking, mind games)

Status (Game +2)
□ Apex -1 (call out)
□ Bloodline +1 (petition elders)
□ Cacophony +0 (put ear down)
□ Domain +1 (till the fields)
□ Elysium +1 (poison the well)

Once you've finished your prelude, introduce your character to the other players, and then determine your starting relationships with each other.
Cousins
Choose one of the other Clans in the city, and explain why to the others. Your Clan considers them close cousins, allies, or partners in some kind of endeavor. This is not necessarily mutual. When a member of that Clan holds sympathy on you, when you tempt them with something they want they choose two options on a hit, not one.

Cousins: ______________________________________.
Vendetta
Fill in two of the other Clans for the two options below, and explain why to the others. Your Clan holds a vendetta against this Clan and considers them rivals, enemies, or obstacles. This is not necessarily mutual. When you hold sympathy on a member of that Clan, you take +1 ongoing to poison the well or tempt them with something they want.

Vendettas: ______________________________________,
______________________________________.
Leverage
Someone is your current Saturday night thing. You give 1-Sympathy to them.
Someone has always told you no, never yes. You give 2-Sympathy to them.
Someone is still hung up on you. You take 1-Sympathy on them.

Advancement
Whenever you make a game move, trigger an intimacy move, or leverage their sympathies, you mark the Status involved. Once you have marked a Status, you cannot mark it again until all the others have been marked. Once all five have been marked, clear the boxes and take an Advancement.

(Can take from beginning of play)
□ +1 Sex (max +3)
□ +1 Cloak (max +3)
□ +1 Bloodline (max +3)
□ +1 Elysium (max +3)
□ A new Serpent move.
□ A new Serpent move.
□ A move from another Clanbook.
□ Forge a new alliance between Clans. Add them as Cousins to your sheet.
□ Open a new wound between Clans. Add them as a Vendetta to your sheet.

(Can take after taking five advances)
□ +1 to any Edge (max +3)
□ +1 to any Edge (max +3)
□ +1 to any Status (max +3)
□ +1 to any Status (max +3)
□ A new Serpent move.
□ Clear a permanent Atrocity mark.
□ Overcome a limitation of your condition. Cross out a Bane from “All Vampires…”, for yourself only.
□ Spawn a new vampire to act as your protege. Create a new character of the same Clanbook.
□ Claw up from the streets to become a player of the game. Retire your character.

Atrocity □ □ □ □ □
When you fill the Atrocity track, fill in one of the boxes permanently and take an Atrocity Move.
Atrocity Moves
□ Gorgon’s Gaze: When you cast a wicked glare, mark Atrocity and roll with +Sex. On a hit, you transmute them into an inanimate material (underline one: dust, salt, stone, flowers) for the remainder of the scene. On 7-9, choose one: you transmute someone you did not intend, the spell breaks before the scene ends, the transmutation is partial.
□ Morningstar: You shine brighter than any other star in the sky, blinding with your grace as you carve a bloody trail through the crowd. You take +1 Sex (max +4). Whenever you roll with Sex and roll a 12+, mark Atrocity.
□ The Summoning: When you summon forth those you have sympathy on, mark Atrocity. They will come to you by whatever means they have at their disposal, if they do not escape their bonds.
□ Mercurial Blood: Choose an Atrocity Move from another Clanbook.
□ Golden Idol: Your character becomes a blissful icon demanding constant sacrifice, surrounding by throngs of followers. Retire your character. They may return as a Threat.

Drama Moves

Compulsion Trigger
When you meet someone interesting (your call) and you are peckish or ravenous, roll +Atrocity. On a miss, nothing happens. On a hit, you become obsessed, and give them 1-Sympathy on you. On a 10+, choose one.
You ask something embarrassing of them.
You will follow them wherever they go, unless met with violence.
You cannot abide anyone else occupying their time.

Frenzy Trigger
When someone denies you and you are ravenous, roll +Atrocity. On a miss, nothing happens. On a hit, you enter frenzy. On a 7-9, choose one.
Your frenzy ends when the one who denied you is taken out.
You cannot enter a home uninvited while in frenzy.
You stave it off at cost. Mark Hunger and the frenzy ends after a short burst.

Intimacy Move
When you share a moment of intimacy with someone -- physical or emotional -- you may share your essence. When you deny someone you are intimate with something they want from you, take 1-Sympathy on them. When you give yourself fully to them, lose all sympathy you had on them.

Requiem Move
When your character is removed from play, the atmosphere changes. Scandals are exposed or hushed and the mood changes according to how you describe it among the All Night Society. Name another player to receive a social opportunity from these scandals. Next session, create a new character who is the relative of your old one with the same Playbook and two Advancements, or use a new one.

Feeding Move
Your feeding is intensely pleasurable, and addictive. Take 1-Sympathy on your victim.

Hunger

□ □ Peckish
□ □ Ravenous
When you cannot mark Hunger, enter Frenzy. When you cannot mark Hunger and are in Frenzy, enter Torpor.

Serpent Moves (start with Mesmerize and two more)
☑ Mesmerize
When you look into their eyes, mark Hunger and roll with +Sex. On a hit, they are under your spell. On a 10+, hold 2. On a 7-9, hold 1. Spend your hold for one of the following effects.
Ask them what they really want. They must answer you honestly.
Have them reveal one of their weaknesses or vulnerabilities.
Spend hold instead of sympathy to leverage them.

☑ Sensations
When you dive into your superhuman senses, you may mark Hunger and roll with +Sex. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. You may spend your hold to ask the following questions of the MC, who must answer honestly.
Who do I hear that can get me what I want?
What do I see that I simply must own?
When do I feel is the best time to ______?
Where do I smell an opportunity?
How can I get a taste of ______?

☑ Forbidden Fruit
When you share your essence with someone, you take 2-Sympathy on them instead of 1, and they clear their Hunger completely.

Sympathies
Who do you have leverage on?

Sympathies Taken:

Sympathies Given:

Prelude:

quote:

Nineteen, bright-eyed, and not much less hungry than I am now, just... differently. I was a freshman at NYU and an heir to the noveau riche -- don't be confused by the burgermeister name, the Vandervlients are strictly new money, and I was under orders to keep up the budding dynasty. "Get good enough grades," said my father, "a degree in something respectable, and a girl with money or a name, or at least an rear end you can get it up for and womb that works." Charming man, my father. God, Mother despises him.

My plans were simple: get an adequate education on paper and a better one in the flesh. And who said anything about girls? Yes, yes, eventually I'd find an understanding young lady towards the end, but... why worry about that now? Or, well, then. Now I'm even less worried about it.

quote:

Like all good new-money boys, I pledged for one of the old Greek houses, the kind that isn't even Greek so they look more secretive and prestigious. The hazing for the Sons of St. Sebastian was... elaborate, you might say? A touch bloody? Designed to scare away the wrong kind of boy, generate a pliable recruiting pool, and select the ones who could make real brothers? Well, I've always been a people-pleaser, and I pleased them very nicely. They offered me the Cup and the Arrow, and I took them. Why stop being nineteen, after all?

quote:

What is the one thing that you would deny yourself?

I always resist the desire to be pleasured. Being the recipient of pleasure, the one lying back and accepting another's favor, is to be the deer skipping into the hunter's snare. Complacency is a bad look on me, even if it were safe, which it never really is. Some people think it's less fun to stay in control, but... I do just fine for myself.

quote:

When did the party really get started for you?

That would be four years ago, now, when I staged my death. Tragic car accident out in the country, a fire, remains barely identifiable -- a young NYU graduate and his beloved fiancee, such a tragedy. (My "fiancee" was well-compensated and seemed positively relieved to be free of the tedious visits upstates. She's lighted out for Los Angeles, last I heard, and may she have fine hunting.) It'd taken me a few years to shore up my own money and power, shake free of my mortal connections, and go. Perhaps it would have been quicker to just kill my father, but the stipulations of my inheritance in the will... nasty old man. I might do it anyway, just for Mother's sake, but I couldn't precisely do it for money.

Some of my brothers weren't delighted that I moved out of the Great House, but they believe me that I'm doing it for the glory and comfort of the Sons of St. Sebastian, and it's not completely wrong. I can fund their binges, and come home for old times' sake ever so often... I don't have to tell them that I don't intend up end up as one of the superannuated sots on the Brothers' Council, driven by dead stomachs and cold groins. They're lovely boys, my brothers, but I intend to be more than the pet twink.

quote:

Where do you have exclusive VIP access?

I've got a reserved private room at the Un Saison En Enfer in Greenwich Village. You do a few favors for a martyr-sister who owns a club, and you end up on the guest list, naturally. Saison is... not quite a gay club, you understand, or a swinger club, or a fetish club, but an anything-goes sort of place, with theme nights for people who don't like confusion. Most nights it's quite the maelstrom, though, and it's excellent camouflage for striking deals.

quote:

Why does any of this matter?

Because it's not easy.

All my life, and afterlife, has been half-baked expectations: "this is what you've got to do, Chaz my boy, but don't you worry too hard about it." If I'd come back from NYU syphillis-ridden, with a half an art degree in my pocket, my father would have just smiled and set me up with some business partner's homely little girl. If I'd decided to spend the next two centuries in the Great House, drinking ouzo and trying out the pledges when I could be bothered to get out of bed, I'd have been in excellent company and I would have had my share of the cattle. Everything has always been easy. Do you have any idea how tedious it is?

I'm not stupid. I don't intend to find a real death in a blaze of glory; I don't intend to topple the kings of the Game tomorrow. But I intend to carve out a fiefdom from this city, to make my moves on the Game board, because it's better than a dozy eternity of barely-registered pleasures. Pleasure is easy. Power is hard. I know what I want.

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 7, 2017

• Locked thread