Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.wsj.com/articles/rural-america-is-the-new-inner-city-1495817008

Basically once again red state rural america is screwed and demographically is due for a long term die off

Another fun fact from the article is even lovely jobs like amazon warehouse worker aren't even available since Amazon decided to move all their warehouses closer to
to main metro areas over the last decade.

quote:

For more than a century, rural towns sustained themselves, and often thrived, through a mix of agriculture and light manufacturing. Until recently, programs funded by counties and townships, combined with the charitable efforts of churches and community groups, provided a viable social safety net in lean times.

Starting in the 1980s, the nation’s basket cases were its urban areas—where a toxic stew of crime, drugs and suburban flight conspired to make large cities the slowest-growing and most troubled places.

Today, however, a Wall Street Journal analysis shows that by many key measures of socioeconomic well-being, those charts have flipped. In terms of poverty, college attainment, teenage births, divorce, death rates from heart disease and cancer, reliance on federal disability insurance and male labor-force participation, rural counties now rank the worst among the four major U.S. population groupings (the others are big cities, suburbs and medium or small metro areas).

In fact, the total rural population—accounting for births, deaths and migration—has declined for five straight years.

quote:

Meanwhile, major cities once considered socioeconomic laggards have turned themselves around. In St. Louis, which has more than 30 nearby four-year schools, the percentage of residents with college degrees tripled between 1980 and 2015—creating a talent pool that has lured health care, finance and bioscience employers, officials say. Instead of people moving where the jobs are, “jobs follow people,” said Greg Laposa, a local chamber of commerce vice president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
trump voters were predominantly high-income, not the rural poor

68-year-old jim-bob sitting at the bar all day cheering on Trump and whining about liberals makes $90k a year just from his pension

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

deth 2 amerika

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I think rural america will end up like those Japanese villages which ended up as ghost towns due to gradual depopulation.

The death of rural america can be blamed on income inequality and how the more negative aspects of globalism destroyed sources of work like manufacturing.

Best part of the article was the preacher saying how Columbus was going all upscale.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

etalian posted:

I think rural america will end up like those Japanese villages which ended up as ghost towns due to gradual depopulation.

The death of rural america can be blamed on income inequality and how the more negative aspects of globalism destroyed sources of work like manufacturing.

Best part of the article was the preacher saying how Columbus was going all upscale.

it can also be blame on the dipshits living there failing to understand cause and effect and doubling down on the thing that's killing them lol

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I mean fentanyl is great at getting the job done but when if krokodil coming to rural ohio?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
do you think racists ever stop and think about how bad job loss would be if slavery came back

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

You drive through some towns now and the only businesses left in the town center are antique stores.. It's like a bunch of old people buying crap from the last old people to die off.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

This thread is getting awfully smug considering the long term downward trends in every other population grouping.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

^^^^ was celebrating a news report of people dying of drug overdoses yesterday. pls ban

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://youtu.be/-UjPbiYOybs

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
dont worry, theyre merely depopulating the rurals for a time, but those communities will come back stronger than ever as vacation homes, country estates and, eventually, plantations

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Related: Illuminati depopulation scheme goes well

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/06/05/upshot/opioid-epidemic-drug-overdose-deaths-are-rising-faster-than-ever.html?_r=0

If you are an American under fifty, the most statistically likely way for you to die is by overdose.

Also, elephant heroin is a thing

Nobody tell the crackhead clubhouse, god-fearing drug users will start a thread mocking the sheer incredible stupidity of messing with that stuff, then inevitably goons will start defending it and start posting trip reports, abruptly vanishing

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 10 days!)

inb4 "they didn't vote for hillary i hope they all die screaming"

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

woops nevermind

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Peanut President posted:

woops nevermind

owned urself harder than a rural trump voter

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Not to mention the whole automation thing will pretty much destroy jobs like truck driver.

Rural towns are basically the real world equivalent of putting your Civ city in a area that has no resource bonus tiles.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
as a guy who lives in one of these districts that supposedly is overwhelming full of racists, something retarded like 30% of people in my county voted and of that, only 30% voted for trump. so. its not that rural people are retarded racists or w.e. its just that they're all insanely poor, in a lot of cases too poor to even afford to move

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Larry Parrish posted:

as a guy who lives in one of these districts that supposedly is overwhelming full of racists, something retarded like 30% of people in my county voted and of that, only 30% voted for trump. so. its not that rural people are retarded racists or w.e. its just that they're all insanely poor, in a lot of cases too poor to even afford to move

Sorry, despite its pretension to rationality, politics is really all about chickens in a barnyard

just pickin' on the person below you in the pecking order to make yourself feel better

this is also why cons rage against the minorities and immigints, btw

if they wanted to be effective, they would have to in some sense question if conservative values actually work at all with the stuff the GOP does

far less scary to blame those people

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I guess the endgame for rural america is basically Detroit but on a smaller scale.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The endgame for rural America is the consolidation of all productive land into the control of agricorps and land barons. Towns will be transformed into mere dormitories for transient and resident farm labor.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The endgame for rural America is the consolidation of all productive land into the control of agricorps and land barons. Towns will be transformed into mere dormitories for transient and resident farm labor.

don't stop now i'm almost there

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mycroft Holmes posted:

don't stop now i'm almost there

Urban laborers will be priced out of all housing by runaway real estate speculation & urban development. Then forced to move en masse to the suburbs, where the low tax base results in rundown public services and toxic environments.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Just lmao if you think you're safe from enclosure because you don't have land.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The first man who, having fenced in a piece of land, said "This is mine," and found people naïve enough to believe him, that man was the true founder of civil society. From how many crimes, wars, and murders, from how many horrors and misfortunes might not any one have saved mankind, by pulling up the stakes, or filling up the ditch, and crying to his fellows: Beware of listening to this impostor; you are undone if you once forget that the fruits of the earth belong to us all, and the earth itself to nobody.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Larry Parrish posted:

This is why I think there needs to be some sort of rural reindustrial program, also possibly a new deal that will aim for rural areas to be able to renovate their schools.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Will these barons have kung fu battles with each other?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IQv_iaMDlw

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Peanut President posted:

inb4 "they didn't vote for full communism now i hope they all die screaming"

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

No I was right the first time because it's always california democrats who post that poo poo.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

maybe they could break up rural areas into a new district system focused on producing certain goods?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

etalian posted:

maybe they could break up rural areas into a new district system focused on producing certain goods?

Sorry dude can't even parse if this is a joke or not or what is meant by it

It sends me back to Half life 2 frankly

vv e: ah thanks

Nebakenezzer has issued a correction as of 17:39 on Jun 11, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

Sorry dude can't even parse if this is a joke or not or what is meant by it

It sends me back to Half life 2 frankly

:thejoke: it is a Hunger Games joke

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
you're really falling behind on your teen action flick trivia. get it together man!!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Was interesting how the District 12 scenes were actually filmed in a dead rural NC town.

The town became a ghost town due to the loss of manufacturing jobs.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

What's that British song from the 1980s about a place turning into a ghost town, with a video that was just a single shot out of the window of somebody's Austin Alegro?

Because there should be an American version

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

This could work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3eu1gW-bQ8

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

What's that British song from the 1980s about a place turning into a ghost town, with a video that was just a single shot out of the window of somebody's Austin Alegro?

Because there should be an American version

Rural america basically became a depressing Springsteen song like My Hometown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Harald posted:

You drive through some towns now and the only businesses left in the town center are antique stores.. It's like a bunch of old people buying crap from the last old people to die off.

antique stores and vape shops

etalian posted:

Was interesting how the District 12 scenes were actually filmed in a dead rural NC town.

The town became a ghost town due to the loss of manufacturing jobs.

the irony is like 20 minutes up the road from there the hills are all dotted with million dollar vacation homes

The Muppets On PCP has issued a correction as of 05:24 on Jun 12, 2017

• Locked thread