Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

pram posted:

containers and their schedulers aren't anything new. openvz and zones and yarn etc have been around forever. it's just docker made the build and image management part very easy. IRL deployment is still a major pain though unless your app is totally stateless/doesn't need any local persistence

docker succeeded because it made the single developer experience super simple. it failed miserably at build for years until it introduced image flattening and its image management is super dumb by default for having any form of consistency throughout your deployments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i want to make a personal website. what container / cloud should i use ??

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
geocities

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
⚰️

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i want to make a personal website. what container / cloud should i use ??

digitalocean

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

pram posted:

digitalocean

digitalocean is good, my monitoring server is hosted there

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Silver Alicorn posted:

I still don't get what the gently caress containers are supposed to do

same, honestly. i'm sure it's just lack of exposure on my part but the way people i know talk about docker it sounds like they're trying to shoehorn some kind of build artifact into their interpreted languages.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
well if you've literally never set up a server to host an app, probably you won't understand because that's what it's for

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.
Historically containers are basically the product of several kernel level features that provide both process isolation and resource management for one or more processes that have been grouped together. In essence a container is a "really fancy chroot" that is more analogous to virtual memory than traditionally understood virtual machines. Processes in a container usually have at least an additional layer of virtualizated memory, CPU priority, network devices and their own restricted view of the file system.

One of the biggest use cases for this were things like VPS products. Prior to time that hosting providers like AWS and Linode appeared, if you had any kind of dedicated server that didn't cost thousands a month your dedicated server was probably actually a container. Containers were far more popular with hosting providers mostly for economic reasons. You can oversell containers on a single physical server a lot more than you can hardware VMs. They are also a lot easier to manage and secure since it is impossible to be locked out of them. From the hosting providers point of view all the processes running on your server are just one of many groups of processes running on their servers operating system.

Now with Docker you have a platform that is using the same kind of underlying kernel features for process grouping and isolation, but instead of using them to make virtual servers they are used to make a very generalized application server with a bunch of user space tools for application deployment and management. I'm surprised I haven't head more parallels drawn to "Write once, run anywhere" promise of the JVM. Essentially Docker offers you the same thing but in any language. Once your app is packaged up as a docker container it can be deployed anywhere that is running docker and """should""" function identically.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

a very generalized application server

I'm glad to hear somebody else describe Docker this way. I've been thinking of Docker as kind of an intermediate technology between VMs and application servers for ages, but I could never figure out why nobody else did and whether there was something I was missing.

Does "Write once, run anywhere" still come with the caveat "as long as it's 64-bit Linux"?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Basically yes

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

you can install docker on windows but it's an Ubuntu vm iirc

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Doom Mathematic posted:

Does "Write once, run anywhere" still come with the caveat "as long as it's 64-bit Linux"?

well more importantly, write once run anywhere doesn't actually work anywhere else that promises it

and the caveat is 'with whatever architecture you built the container with' but lmbo if you're running production that isn't 64-bit linux

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Here is what is cool and good about containers: it forces developers to actually state their loving requirements and put all that poo poo together so I don't have to janitor their special snowflakes, while keeping their stupid fingers far away from the infrastructure.

Here is what sucks about containers: everything else.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Visual GNUdio posted:

Here is what is cool and good about containers: it forces developers to actually state their loving requirements and put all that poo poo together so I don't have to janitor their special snowflakes, while keeping their stupid fingers far away from the infrastructure.

Here is what sucks about containers: everything else.

mega :agreed:

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
update: i don't want to get into containers anymore, now i'm trying to learn chef

you are free to continue containerchat at your leisure

pram
Jun 10, 2001
learn ansible instead

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

RISCy Business posted:

now i'm trying to learn chef

lol, i almost had to learn that once

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
Ansible is useful for remote command execution and orchestration. If you're using it as a configuration management framework for more than a dozen machines you are a FOOL.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

Ansible is useful for remote command execution and orchestration. If you're using it as a configuration management framework for more than a dozen machines you are a FOOL.

Right and that is the point where you should run mesos or kubernantes.

(if anyone has questions on either I've used both.)

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

why

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

con-tayne-rs

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004

pushing yaml files from arbitrary locations doesn't scale on both infrastructural and organizational levels.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it's literally possible to have a git repo with all your playbooks same way you can have a git repo that has all your puppet modules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
and lol at chef and puppet 'scaling' organizationally at all. ive seen zero good deployments in 3 giant corporations. it's always a giant pile of poo poo with ridiculous edge cases.

did they use hiera?
are they depending on some bizarre facter bootstrap to work?
are they using roles or is everything hardcoded in the module?
do you need to create ten dozen different node files for it to work?
are they using some kind of in house enc?
did they use LWRP, or libraries, or HWRP?
has everything become a custom rube goldberg machine written directly in ruby??
do you need to refactor this dumpster fire to get anything done? yes

• Locked thread