Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the points differential going to be tonight
This poll is closed.
1-4 4 13.79%
5-8 4 13.79%
9-16 14 48.28%
17+ 7 24.14%
Total: 29 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Ghost Dog posted:

yes and i am saying they arent remotely comparable as things despite everyone trying over and over and over again to compare insanely different choices and teams

the wins and srs are the difference between the 2016 warriors and the 2010 heat. the 2010 heat were a first round playoff exit team. the warriors were um....not

That doesn't make them not comparable.

What happened last year with Durant was a salary cap window fluke that is unlikely to be repeated ever, but it also was a culmination of a player-driven superstar matching trend that Garnett started, and Lebron greatly accelerated. And now we have this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

predicto posted:

That doesn't make them not comparable.

What happened last year with Durant was a salary cap window fluke that is unlikely to be repeated ever, but it also was a culmination of a player-driven superstar matching trend that Garnett started, and Lebron greatly accelerated. And now we have this.

yes. it does. theres a huge difference in creating a superteam and joining a premade one. the acceleration of lebron style dealings would be having 4 superstars join a mediocre to bad team. not one superstar joining a team with 3 stars already on it. one is a move towards players exercising control over teams instead of the other way around. the other is almost the exact loving opposite

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
if you think about it the storyline in the NBA today lines up perfectly with the themes of Christopher Nolan's masterpiece, The Dark Knight

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Ghost Dog posted:

yes. it does. theres a huge difference in creating a superteam and joining a premade one. the acceleration of lebron style dealings would be having 4 superstars join a mediocre to bad team. not one superstar joining a team with 3 stars already on it. one is a move towards players exercising control over teams instead of the other way around. the other is almost the exact loving opposite

That is a minor distinction in my mind and a huge difference in yours. :whoknows:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Dog posted:

i think its prettttttyyyy hard to make the Our Competition Is Harder argument when the main offseason move gutted your biggest competitor. its certainly not an argument in good faith

I think it's pretty hard to pretend that any move would not have been mocked. Everyone is trying to improve- and if some team had had a better offseason that the Warriors than Lacob and Myers would have been roasted for that. If they had stood pat with their injury-prone Aussie and Harrison "5 for 30something last 3 games" Barnes they would have been mocked. I don't think they should apologize for having an organization and a team that someone like Durant would want to play for. Curry is on a ridiculously low contract and guess what- they spent that money pretty well.

I also think it's pretty hard to say the Thunder were their biggest competitor, just because the spurs under-performed in the 2016 playoffs. It's been Spurs and Dubs at the top of the standings for the past 2 years, with Houston hanging out around the top as well.

Look, I don't disagree the Warriors are really good to the point they should be overwhelming favorites again assuming most of the team stays together. I just think it's pretty crazy to think the Warriors should have said- "We could go get Durant, but lets not, lets go get worse Player X and Player Y instead". And I'm going out on a limb to say that if they'd gone out and gotten Al Horford or someone else pretty top tier there would have been just as much bellyaching.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
People hated Lebron for going to Miami. People hate KD for going to Golden State. Who cares if one team was premade or if one was created on the spot?

If KD goes back to OKC in a few years people will like him the same way they like Lebron now.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

predicto posted:

That is a minor distinction in my mind and a huge difference in yours. :whoknows:

if the team they join doesnt matter then your comparison comes down to saying both lebron and kd are good players and thus anything they do is 1:1 comparable to eachother. its asinine

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

TBeats posted:

People hated Lebron for going to Miami. People hate KD for going to Golden State. Who cares if one team was premade or if one was created on the spot?

If KD goes back to OKC in a few years people will like him the same way they like Lebron now.

Why would KD go back to OKC? He isn't from there and it will never be his team again.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

TBeats posted:

He's never going back to OKC, not in a million years.

He might go to Washington and try to win one for the District to redeem himself that way.

predicto fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 13, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Spacebump posted:

Why would KD go back to OKC? He isn't from there and it will never be his team again.

People were burning Lebron jerseys and saying the same thing you just said about it never being his team again. And now he could probably run for mayor.

Either way KD could have a redemption story and people would be fans of his like they are Lebron right now.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

TBeats posted:

If KD goes back to OKC it will disgust me actually. To me, LeBron was destined for the Cavaliers. A native son and all that poo poo. KD had nothing to do with Seattle and super-nothing to do with poo poo-rear end Oklahoma City. He belongs in GS or Washington DC imo

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Ghost Dog posted:

if the team they join doesnt matter then your comparison comes down to saying both lebron and kd are good players and thus anything they do is 1:1 comparable to eachother. its asinine

It's kind of annoying how you misrepresent other people's opinions and call them names all the time.

Just thought you should know in case you do it in real life as well as on this dying message board.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I think it's pretty hard to pretend that any move would not have been mocked. Everyone is trying to improve- and if some team had had a better offseason that the Warriors than Lacob and Myers would have been roasted for that. If they had stood pat with their injury-prone Aussie and Harrison "5 for 30something last 3 games" Barnes they would have been mocked. I don't think they should apologize for having an organization and a team that someone like Durant would want to play for. Curry is on a ridiculously low contract and guess what- they spent that money pretty well.

I also think it's pretty hard to say the Thunder were their biggest competitor, just because the spurs under-performed in the 2016 playoffs. It's been Spurs and Dubs at the top of the standings for the past 2 years, with Houston hanging out around the top as well.

Look, I don't disagree the Warriors are really good to the point they should be overwhelming favorites again assuming most of the team stays together. I just think it's pretty crazy to think the Warriors should have said- "We could go get Durant, but lets not, lets go get worse Player X and Player Y instead". And I'm going out on a limb to say that if they'd gone out and gotten Al Horford or someone else pretty top tier there would have been just as much bellyaching.

i dont get what you are trying to say. you made a stupid point about how the competition in the west is So Much Harder so the move that made it insanely easier was fine and now those goal posts are just shifting with every sentence

the bolded parts also insanely dumb and irrelevant so idk what you want dude. the spurs are good yeah. know what other team in the west was good? the thunder. i wonder what happened to them. probably unrelated

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

TBeats posted:

Apparently Ghost Dog cares. A lot.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

predicto posted:

It's kind of annoying how you misrepresent other people's opinions and call them names all the time.

Just thought you should know in case you do it in real life as well as on this dying message board.

its kind of annoying to argue with people who constantly invent facts and wholesale deny reality cause some people think their team is unlikeable.

predicto posted:

Apparently Ghost Dog cares. A lot.

:rolleyes:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
And if you seriously don't think KD bringing a title back to OKC like Lebron did for Cleveland would make people forgive him, you're underestimating the fickleness of your average sports fan or you're forgetting just how disgusted people were and how much they hated Lebron for leaving Cleveland for Miami.

I'm not saying it will happen. But if it did?

The comparison between him and Lebron may not be 1:1, but it's definitely something like 1.01:1

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 13, 2017

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Ghost Dog posted:

its kind of annoying to argue with people who constantly invent facts and wholesale deny reality cause some people think their team is unlikeable.

Not sure when TBeats became a Warriors fan but whatever.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Dog posted:

the bolded parts also insanely dumb and irrelevant so idk what you want dude. the spurs are good yeah. know what other team in the west was good? the thunder. i wonder what happened to them. probably unrelated

I'm shifting the goalposts? uhhhhh...

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the idea that lebron invented the superteam and is just reaping what he sowed and thus the warriors are actually Incredibly Likeable Why Dont You Guys Like Them UGHHHHHH YOU VOTED FOR TRUMP!!!! is founded on a bunch of lies and you should probably found your positions on truth and friendship

its such a losing proposition tho cause look :

predicto posted:

Not sure when TBeats became a Warriors fan but whatever.

now in #alternativefacts land im arguing with a dude ive never responded to or quoted or directed a single sentence at? cool

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Ghost Dog posted:

the idea that lebron invented the superteam and is just reaping what he sowed and thus the warriors are actually Incredibly Likeable Why Dont You Guys Like Them UGHHHHHH YOU VOTED FOR TRUMP!!!! is founded on a bunch of lies and you should probably found your positions on truth and friendship

Nobody said Lebron invented the super team. Stop making poo poo up. He's just the most notable jumping off point for recent super teams and he is the guy who just lost to the current super team, so those Miami teams are more relevant than, say, the Celtics super teams since they involve the same person.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

TBeats posted:

And if you seriously don't think KD bringing a title back to OKC like Lebron did for Cleveland would make people forgive him, you're underestimating the fickleness of your average sports fan or you're forgetting just how disgusted people were and how much they hated Lebron for leaving Cleveland for Miami.

I'm not saying it will happen. But if it did?

The comparison between him and Lebron may not be 1:1, but it's definitely something like 1.01:1

Reasons Why It's Not the Same:

1) KD is not a 'hometown' player (LeBron is an Ohio native)
2) Russ was steadily taking over as the face of the OKC franchise (LeBron was the face of the franchise from the day he was drafted, Lebron == Cavaliers)
3) OKC is still relevant as a team, even if diminished (The Cavaliers cratered after James left, while the Thunder made it to the playoffs as a 6th seed)

In summary,

Not the Same

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

iamsosmrt posted:

I thought I understood until your example. People would also be okay if it was someone other than the NWO Warriors too, no?

While I think this is bad for the league on the whole, I don't feel bad for Cleveland or Lebron. He pushed the trend into this arms race of players colluding for titles, and it's reached its logical peak. We just need Westbrook, Harden, and other top stars to spitefully sign with another pre-made juggernaut before this all goes to poo poo.

TBeats posted:

Nobody said Lebron invented the super team. Stop making poo poo up. He's just the most notable jumping off point for recent super teams and he is the guy who just lost to the current super team.

:thunk:

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I'm shifting the goalposts? uhhhhh...

idk how saying the same thing again could be moving the goalposts butt alas

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Ghost Dog posted:

:thunk:

idk how saying the same thing again could be moving the goalposts butt alas

"Pushing the trend" becoming "inventing" is moving goal posts.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

TBeats posted:

"Pushing the trend" becoming "inventing" is moving goal posts.

in that i did not quote his exact words directly but had been arguing against his entire point unmovingly? kind of the exact opposite but sure

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

if you cant concede that the post i quoted multiple times and had been arguing against is the post that i quoted multiple times and argued against then im not sure why you talk to people

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking forward to Adam Silver nixing the next super team because

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Ghost Dog posted:

if you cant concede that the post i quoted multiple times and had been arguing against is the post that i quoted multiple times and argued against then im not sure why you talk to people

Lol what are you even talking about anymore

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

TBeats posted:

People were burning Lebron jerseys and saying the same thing you just said about it never being his team again. And now he could probably run for mayor.

Either way KD could have a redemption story and people would be fans of his like they are Lebron right now.

LeBron was from Ohio, I don't see why KD would go back. It's not like he could beat the Warriors if he left.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

TBeats posted:

Lol what are you even talking about anymore

im not sure how to tell you. if i quote a post you tell me that post doesnt exist. if i reference it directly you tell me i made it up. if i reference it obliquely you tell me that i make no sense. is there a way i can reference the thing i was originally arguing against that will allow you to concede the fact that it exists and i am arguing against it cause you seem deadset on telling me its not there but, like i can actually see it its there

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Spite posted:

drat you gonna do me like that?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Ghost Dog posted:

im not sure how to tell you. if i quote a post you tell me that post doesnt exist. if i reference it directly you tell me i made it up. if i reference it obliquely you tell me that i make no sense. is there a way i can reference the thing i was originally arguing against that will allow you to concede the fact that it exists and i am arguing against it cause you seem deadset on telling me its not there but, like i can actually see it its there

okay, i hate posting about posting, but this is how it went since either you or i are not understanding

I said "nobody said lebron invented the super team" in response to you railing aginast poeple saying lebron invented the super team here:

Ghost Dog posted:

you quoted a post and bolded where someone said "lebron pushed the trend of super teams" as if that proves that someone said lebron invented the super team, but it does not prove that someone said Lebron invented the super team. if that wasn't what you were trying to say, you need to clarify yourself better.

that is literally how the conversation went.

so what are you even talking about anymore?

KD has effectively helped push the trend of super teams. Am I saying he invented them?

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 13, 2017

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

TBeats posted:

okay, i hate posting about posting, but this is how it went since either you or i are not understanding

I said "nobody said lebron invented the super team"

you quoted a post and bolded where someone said "lebron pushed the trend of super teams" as if that proves that someone said lebron invented the super team, but it does not prove that someone said Lebron invented the super team. if that wasn't what you were trying to say, you need to clarify yourself better.

that is literally how the conversation went.

so what are you even talking about anymore?

KD has effectively helped push the trend of super teams. Am I saying he invented them?

im talking about the thing ive quoted a ton over and over and over again,

iamsosmrt posted:

I thought I understood until your example. People would also be okay if it was someone other than the NWO Warriors too, no?

While I think this is bad for the league on the whole, I don't feel bad for Cleveland or Lebron. He pushed the trend into this arms race of players colluding for titles, and it's reached its logical peak. We just need Westbrook, Harden, and other top stars to spitefully sign with another pre-made juggernaut before this all goes to poo poo.

this is what i am arguing against and have been for awhile. i don't know how to get you to agree that i have been arguing against this because you dont seem to be willing to say that this post ive quoted 3 times now exists. or are you trying to GOTCHA me over the word invented?

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
Why is a super team worse then a solo act who falls apart the moment they have to play actual basketball?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Mehrunes posted:

Why is a super team worse then a solo act who falls apart the moment they have to play actual basketball?

More contenders, makes the playoffs more fun to watch. Solo acts don't always fall apart the moment they have to play playoff ball.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spacebump posted:

More contenders, makes the playoffs more fun to watch. Solo acts don't always fall apart the moment they have to play playoff ball.

As a relatively casual NBA fan how many solo acts have made noise? Not that it's really important to the Durant conversation because if he would have gone to Washington it isn't like John Wall or Beal are suddenly dogshit. And obviously there will always be some sort of NBA players around a guy.

Lebron a couple of years ago in the finals springs to mind as ridiculously impressive in a losing effort, although he wasn't on his own the whole season. Maybe one of his earlier years with the Cavs would be even more impressive given it was him and a bunch of jags for the whole year. 76ers the year they went to the finals with Iverson?

e: Iverson did all the scoring but that was a scary defense after looking it up, so I have trouble with that one too.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 14, 2017

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

As a relatively casual NBA fan how many solo acts have made noise? Not that it's really important to the Durant conversation because if he would have gone to Washington it isn't like John Wall or Beal are suddenly dogshit. And obviously there will always be some sort of NBA players around a guy.

Lebron a couple of years ago in the finals springs to mind as ridiculously impressive in a losing effort, although he wasn't on his own the whole season. Maybe one of his earlier years with the Cavs would be even more impressive given it was him and a bunch of jags for the whole year. 76ers the year they went to the finals with Iverson?

e: Iverson did all the scoring but that was a scary defense after looking it up, so I have trouble with that one too.

The answer to this question is hard because to me there is never truly a solo act in the NBA. Titles from this century that get brought up as solo acts (only one all star) most often are the '03 Spurs (Duncan) and '11 Mavs (Dirk). One had the best coach in the league, good role players, and (old and young) future hall of famers. The other also had one of the best coaches, a great center, an old future hall of famer, and good role players. Both Duncan and Dirk had opportunities to leave to play on super teams (Duncan on a Magic team and Dirk on a Lakers team.) The league would have been worse for it and lost two of the better playoff runs from this century.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 14, 2017

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

To clarify, making GBS threads on LeBron for reaping what he sowed is not the same as defending KD.

Though on that note, his many times has this opportunity even presented itself in NBA history? Specifically that a top 5 player could outright sign with a top level contender with a big fat contact? I can't think of many at all.

Maybe Duncan when he had the chance to sign with I think the Kidd Nets in the 00s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

iamsosmrt posted:

To clarify, making GBS threads on LeBron for reaping what he sowed is not the same as defending KD.

Though on that note, his many times has this opportunity even presented itself in NBA history? Specifically that a top 5 player could outright sign with a top level contender with a big fat contact? I can't think of many at all.

Maybe Duncan when he had the chance to sign with I think the Kidd Nets in the 00s?

They were gonna try to put mcgrady, duncan, and grant hill together to make an orlando superteam in the early oughts.

• Locked thread