Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Home page/download
http://www.playmxm.com/en
Official wiki
http://masterxmaster.gamepedia.com/Master_X_Master_Wiki

Master x Master (MxM) is a F2P MOBA game by the South Korean developer NCSoft that has been in closed betas for the past three years. If you've played MMORPGS then you probably heard of NCSoft as they developed Lineage II, Aion, Blade & Soul and published Guild Wars 2, Cities of Heroes and Wildstar. The main selling point of the game is the tag system where you take two separate heroes into a match and can switch between them. There are also multiple game modes available on release (PVE Stages, 3v3 Combat Arena, and 5v5 Titan Ruins aka MOBA map mode)

I've played PC MOBAs since Aeon of Strife back in Starcraft and I seriously feel this game has a lot of potential and it's the most fun I've had with a MOBA since DotA Allstars back when Guinsoo was editting it and when Icefrog just took over. It's has taken alot of good ideas from other MOBAs over the years and a few bad ones.

+The game character is controlled with wasd and the mouse is used for aiming. If you've played Battlerite/Bloodline Champions before then the controls are basically like that. The controls are also silky smooth and just like Battlerite/Bloodlines there are no turn speed.
+There is no system for inmatch gold or item shops. It's like in HotS, no fussing over item builds or recipes.
+However unlike in HotS experience points are not global. This means even without gold in the game it is still possible to carry/get carried and also that the worst player in the game don't almost always decide the match like it does in HotS.
+The tag system is pretty neat. It also allows quite a lot of experimentation atleast for now before everything is min-maxed with the meta settled.
+You could just play this game completely PVE if you want to and I don't mean just playing the 3v3 arena or 5v5 moba maps against bots but that there is an actual PVE mode that is like Diablo's Rifts or a dungeon in MMORPGs.
+The 5v5 MOBA mode, Titans Ruins, is very objective focused like in HotS. There is also no focus on laning phase or rigid roles like in LoL.
+Every game mode is short. The PVE Stages take 5~10 minutes. The 3v3 matches take 5 minutes. The 5v5 matches have a ticking timer that ends the game after 25 minutes if the other victory conditions weren't reached. This means when you commit to playing one 5v5 game with friends you know it will only ever go up to 25 minutes long and not potentially an hour plus like in DOTA2.
-There is game system called Nodes that is basically very similar to the Runes system from League of Legends.
-This means as if the burden of knowledge isn't a big enough hurdle for new players against experienced players, there is a straight up time played element to catch up against people who already completed their node pages.

Game Modes

There are 3 main ones: PVE Stages, 3v3 Arena and 5v5 Titan Ruins. You can check the wiki page above for more indepth info but basically the PVE Stages are like Diablo Rifts/MMORPG dungeon runs, the 3v3 Arena is like Battlerite/Bloodline Champions and the 5v5 Titan Ruins is like a HotS map.

Masters

Like every MOBA these days except for DOTA2 you start out with two masters so you can actually play the game while the rest are locked away. All of them can just be unlocked by using the real money currency. Otherwise around half of the masters come with special requirements before you can unlock them such as getting certain achievements or farming a certain amount of materials from the PVE Stages.

Since it's going to take time and resources to unlock a character, here's my recommendations for the first few to aim towards. Note that I mostly played with damage dealers in the beta so my knowledge on other masters are pretty limited but I think in general these are the ones people generally consider real good, also between the beta and release they might've did some balance changes that makes some of the suggestions here invalid:

Assault (Ranged Damage Dealers)
Lua - One of the two masters you start the game with and she is actually one of the best assault master in the game. If you really like her play style then feel free to spend upgrade materials on her. She's just all around really good because her basic attack has no heat buildup and her abilities are very bursty which makes her a good tag partner for almost any burst combo.
Vonak - Undisputed best at TTK - Time To Kill for objectives. I would be really surprised if for release they didn't do some kind of balance change to his kit. Some of his ability resets heat buildup so there is pretty much no downtime for your basic attack.

Marksman (Ranged Skill Focus)
V-Merang - Very good for pvp and pve. Launchers are among the strongest form of cc in this game and hers is on a short cooldown that can be quickly used multiple times in a fight. Her ringbarrier is also very good in pvp and pve as it is able tod eflect special projectiles.

Nuker (Ranged Burst Damage)
Ghost Widow - 3 second long channel cc ult makers her really good in pvp and her life drain makes her very good in pve.

Assassin (Melee Burst Damage)
Sizuka - A stealthy melee assassin and the other master that everyone starts out with. She's pretty hard to play in pvp but a good Sizuka is really scary to deal with for most people. She is one of the best master to use in pve because of her damage boost skill.

Skirmishers (Melee Damage Damagers)
Cagnazzo - He's got the Pudge hook and a leap that stuns on landing
Rytlock - He's got a powerful passive, a leap and a channeled stun
Tulam - He's got a launcher leap, terror and a launcher ult.

Juggernauts (Tanks)
No clue, I'll update when I find out after release

Support (Utility)
Vita - The best support in the game in terms of being a like a MMO priest/healer. Her ult can also swing fights in pvp but just be careful of the timing.
Lorraine - I think she's classified as support because she can do everything. She's frustratingly speedy and sticky and you can specialize her to focus more on her crowd control skills or turn her into a damage dealer no one can escape from.
Kat the Cat - In beta Kat the Cat was pretty much a broken character because just by himself he could lock someone down for seconds.
Lilu - Her bird of prey skill is hosed up, it's a point to click skill that can cc someone up to 4 seconds and she can reposition her target at any point like right into the middle of her team.

Final Words

I think this game is really fun and has the potential to be really good. However the potential for it to fail is also pretty high for various reasons such as bad patch turn around time, bad support due to the developers being in south korea and lack of a sustainable playerbase because they're competing in a very crowded and saturated market. But it is still fun and I advise people to treat it like they would a new shiny mmo ported from korea, get in during the hectic release months where no one knows the optimal builds and the meta isn't settled and leave when they haven't been supporting the game for a few months.

Here's some videos people made so you can see how the game looks

Pve solo ss rank on normal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf1Qs2jAod4
Pve 2 players sss rank on brutal difficulty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExKXY2nrmnw
Pve 3 players a rank on extreme difficulty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VidE8ZPxRIs
Pvp 3v3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRvJuXMOriE
Pvp 3v3 different map different characters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26ZXhbObjlk
**Pvp 5v5 Titan Ruins tutorial video, it's for the 2016 version but most things still apply, if you're only going to watch one video then watch this one to see some of the general concept and gameplay of mxm and titan ruins but don't watch pass the first five minutes because he just keeps rambling after that point
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY9az566LdE
Pvp 5v5 Titan Ruins full match replay, premade team with discord chat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o67cU9tffkw

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Reserving this post for ???

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

The game is releasing tomorrow so I made the OP be less bad

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Game's fun, and there's two special modes one which is essentially uther's party https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-Zq_y5V3iI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8dveZYVx7Y and the other is like enfos hero defense.

Unfortunately as I suspected the game is mismanaged as gently caress. There's virtually no advertising for starter. And then there is their monetization strategy which shows they are completely out of touch with the market and audience they are trying to serve. Other mobas allows you to buy a hero with the most common ingame currency, gold, or real money. In MxM instead of using the common currency gold to buy heroes, they have a special currency called SOL that is only used for buying heroes.

There's three ways to get SOL: 1. Leveling up 2. From a weekly mission 3. From nightmare stages. Leveling up will be the most common way to get SOL but there's a max level of 99 so 99 SOL total from maxing out your levels. You only get 1 SOL from weeklys. Lastly nightmare stages COSTS a SOL to even attempt them and there is only a chance to get a SOL reward if you beat it so nightmares aren't in any way a reliable method of obtaining SOL.

Most heroes cost an average of 8 SOL to buy and there are already 35+ heroes in the game. Meaning after you're max level you're looking at two months before you'll get a new hero to play with. So okay, I like the game how about I just use real money to buy a hero instead? Well, they cost $20~30 each to buy. Compare that to other mobas where you can buy a hero for $5~10. And the hero skins in this game costs $20~40 each while in other mobas skins go from $5~20 and the higher end ones usually have unique voiced lines and/or special effects.

NCSoft man, how do they constantly get so much right and also so much completely wrong at the same time all the loving time. I'll be surprised if this game can last in 2018; all this work after years of development, wasted. sad

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The new future of Games As A Service is to turbomilk the whales and then shut down the game as soon as possible.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Put the executives of ncsoft and everyone related to capcom on a rocket to mars imo

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
Is this the game with the Wildstar hero?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Yeah there's heroes from blade & soul, cities of heroes, guild wars, aion, wildstars and lineages

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, no idea about the game's longevity but god drat is it really fun to play. Only thing I wish didn't cost cash shop currency was rune pages, but I'm doing decently with four.

The 5v5 content is so good.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Just got to level 10 - this game would benefit by a more streamlined lobby UI. It reminds me of Dungeon Fighter Online.
Too bad because it deserves more attention, it seems to be pretty fun. At least it's a fresh take on the genre.

(Framing this sentence for the immediate future where the game isn't cool anymore)

Char
Jan 5, 2013
In true NCSoft manner, this tweet is only on the GW2 channel, no mention on @PlayMXM.
Free Rytlock unlock.

https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/883032215705317381

Char fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 7, 2017

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Thanks for mentioning it! I would've missed it otherwise

It's weird that their form of marketing is mostly focused on cross promotion stuff with their other games which are all mmos and have a different audience

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 7, 2017

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I saw the promotion and thought I'd redeem the code and give it a try since I already had a Guild Wars account, and so far it's a lot of fun. I can't stand most MOBAs and I can't quite say yet why this one is appealing to me with only a few hours played, but this is more time than I've invested in any similar game short of Smite.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Oh hey there's a thread for this. Been playing since the betas and I quite like it. The PVE goes from braindead to tryhard depending on difficulty, which I like, and Titan Ruins is casual enough that I can get a moba fix without getting too salty about what my team mates are doing. Minigames are fun too, for what they are.

The only downside to me is the fact that SOL feels really valuable, don't really want to buy anything when they are doing Master giveaways with no refunds and poo poo, so I'm a bit uncomfortable with that. Thankfully they added the weekly/monthly quests for SOL so tiny as it might be having a steady SOL income is nice.

I'd say give it a try if you are on the fence. It's a good game for wasting a couple hours a day and the MOBA aspect is still really new so there's no eye-rolling meta like in League or any nonsense like that.

Fake edit: Also I don't think there's a level limit for SOL gaining purposes. You just keep getting SOL at a flat rate.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Det_no posted:

Fake edit: Also I don't think there's a level limit for SOL gaining purposes. You just keep getting SOL at a flat rate.

Yeah, someone in a lobby yesterday mentioned that at level 99 you just get a infinite "gain 30k XP, get a SOL" bar thereafter.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I am dumb and have bad friends so I installed this and it's fun. Were all of you smart enough to abandon it already or is there some semblance of a goon guild in place by now?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Nah there's no goon guild. I personally haven't played much since their servers shat themselves for a few days while they said nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Holy poo poo they just revealed the most anime character I have ever seen in my entire life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd7DobRTn0s

• Locked thread