Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Luigi's Mansion is a game I consider to be somewhat underrated. It's by no means widely hated, but it's not acknowledged nearly as much as other Mario titles. The drastic change in gameplay is probably a cause of it, and of course the change in protagonist, but Luigi's cool, darn it. Released, in the United States, on November 18th, 2001, the game was generally well-received, being the best-selling of the GameCube launch titles. The game may not be talked about as other games like Pikmin or Mario Sunshine these days, but it holds a special place as the first Nintendo-developed game to have Luigi as the main playable character. And thankfully, it even got a sequel back in 2013.

Look at that Home Alone-copying son of a bitch up there. How can you not love him?

Why Luigi's Mansion?

Luigi's Mansion, honestly, is one of my favorite GameCube titles, beating out other beloved games like Pikmin and its sequel, Eternal Darkness, or Animal Crossing. It's a game I enjoy every time going through, never ceasing to find satisfaction in busting ghosts and collecting a poo poo-ton of cash. It's a game I know very well, and it's a nice, somewhat short game to, which will be a nice contrast to my last three LPs.

About the LP:

This LP will also not be live, I have no good way of recording it as such. I'll record the gameplay and the commentary separately. I'll be using my Nintendo Wii to play the game as I sold my GameCube away years ago since the Wii can play its games. I plan on at least uncovering everything in the game. By that I mean I'll at least find all hidden things like Speedy Spirits and Golden Mice, even if I can't catch them. I also plan to get every last Portrait Ghost, and get the biggest mansion in the end. And I should note I won't be reading the dialogue out loud, so no need to worry if that bothers you.

As a warning, since it came up in the Sandcastle thread, I WILL be talking during cutscenes, just so people know if that kind of thing bothers them.

Schedule:

As usual, there's no specific schedule. I'll simply get to the LP when I'm able to. Hopefully at least two or three videos a week.

Spoilers?:

Considering the age and how well-known the game is, any and all spoilers are fine.

I AIN'T AFRAID OF NO GHOSTS:
Part 1 - The Mansion
Part 2 - Chauncey
Part 3 - Fire Elemental Medal
Part 4 - Bogmire
Part 5 - Ice Elemental Medal
Part 6 - Madame Clairvoya
Part 7 - Boolossus
Part 8 - The Blackout
Part 9 - The Sealed Room
Part 10 - Jarvis
Part 11 - King Boo

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Reserving this post, just in case.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

And I realized I already gave misinformation by accident, once you fail to catch a Speedy Spirit, they are gone FOREVER, even during the blackout.

Miliardo
Dec 3, 2014

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

beloved games like Pikmin and its sequel, Eternal Darkness

I know it's not what you meant, but I initially read that as "Eternal Darkness, the sequel to Pikmin" and, boy, is that a series of mental images.

Luigi's Mansion has a special place in my heart, so I'll happily be along for this ride. The game has a ton of personality, and says so much just with the animations. It reminds me a bit of Don Bluth, movement and small touches can convey so much.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Sign me up for the "Luigi's Mansion is under-rated" train, though it's been a long time since I've played it. Definitely watching this!

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

C-Euro posted:

Sign me up for the "Luigi's Mansion is under-rated" train, though it's been a long time since I've played it. Definitely watching this!
Yeah, it's a shame how pushed under the rug it seems to be.

Miliardo posted:

I know it's not what you meant, but I initially read that as "Eternal Darkness, the sequel to Pikmin" and, boy, is that a series of mental images.

Luigi's Mansion has a special place in my heart, so I'll happily be along for this ride. The game has a ton of personality, and says so much just with the animations. It reminds me a bit of Don Bluth, movement and small touches can convey so much.
Now that'd be one Hell of a Pikmin game.

And yeah, I really love how the game looks. All the ghosts move about in such a fun way, and all their varying personalities are great to see with each playthrough.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
This game is very good and definitely under appreciated. When I heard about the sequel, I bought it day one, and it also holds up pretty well in my opinion. There are some things I liked about this one better, and some improvements in the sequel I liked a lot. It has been awhile since I have played either, though, so I don't remember them! :v:

EDIT: After having watched the episode, the idea with the portraits is just to be a tutorial. They tell you that ghosts will usually appear in places that are dark, so light means safety. I am pretty sure that is all there is to them.

Glaive17 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 14, 2017

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I just got LM: Dark Moon to play on a trip, but never played the original. So, I'll be following along!

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Glaive17 posted:

EDIT: After having watched the episode, the idea with the portraits is just to be a tutorial. They tell you that ghosts will usually appear in places that are dark, so light means safety. I am pretty sure that is all there is to them.
Well, yeah, I know. I just kind of have a tendency to overtheorize on games that aren't very deep. It's stupid, I know.

And I finally have a new episode. Sorry it took so long, but more episodes will come quicker.

Part 2 - Chauncey

EDIT: Okay, what the gently caress was that thing with Luigi's head after the Chauncey fight? I've never seen that happen before in my many playthroughs of the game.

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 17, 2017

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

And I move through Area 2 some more, only dealing with two Portrait Ghosts this episode.

Part 3 - Fire Elemental Medal

I always forget just how much hidden stuff there is in this game. I wonder if there are any secrets like jewels and such I haven't found yet.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

"There'll be a time and a game for that in the future." 7th Stand User LP confirmed?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

VolticSurge posted:

"There'll be a time and a game for that in the future." 7th Stand User LP confirmed?
Well drat, you saw right through me.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Well drat, you saw right through me.

Now I'm wondering what Luigi's Stand would be.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

VolticSurge posted:

Now I'm wondering what Luigi's Stand would be.
「Inhale」which is basically his Poltergust 3000, but can suck up abstract parts of a person like memories and emotion.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

And down goes Bogmire, and Area 2 cleared.

Part 4 - Bogmire

Poor Bogmire. So much simpler than Chauncey. At least he got to cameo in The Wind Waker...

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 22, 2017

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

I remember the first time I saw Bogmire my reaction literally was "Is this a rejected Kingdom Hearts boss?

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Oof, your audio is all over the place in this video.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

VolticSurge posted:

I remember the first time I saw Bogmire my reaction literally was "Is this a rejected Kingdom Hearts boss?
First JoJo, now Kingdom Hearts. Is there anything Luigi's Mansion CAN'T have a crossover with?

Also, new episode.

Part 5 - Ice Elemental Medal

It still baffles me how Nana shoots laser (needles?) out of her eyes like that, and I dunno why.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Speaking of references,I completely forgot Nana shot Space Ripper Stingy Eyes at you.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

VolticSurge posted:

Speaking of references,I completely forgot Nana shot Space Ripper Stingy Eyes at you.
I feel ashamed for not making that JoJo reference. I didn't even connect the two until now.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Your talk about voice-recording gibberish reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxyW6AJ-yIk

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Carbon dioxide posted:

Your talk about voice-recording gibberish reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxyW6AJ-yIk
Well, now I have a new favorite song. But yeah, the gibberish thing is something I've wondered about for years. I mean, nowadays people with a really good audio set-up could just record it and send it off over in an e-mail, I guess. But what about before the internet, or at least good home audio set-ups?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

And now all of Mario's Dropped Items are used.

Part 6 - Madame Clairvoya

I completely forgot how useless Madame Clairvoya actually turned out to be.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Area 3 cleared, just one more to go.

Part 7 - Boolossus

Anyone have trouble against Boolossus? I've never been able to defeat him without issues.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Gotta hate those random lightning strikes, am I right?

Part 8 - The Blackout

I have to feel bad for Uncle Grimmly though, he's just so pathetic. And also, who would you guys say is your favorite Portrait Ghost? Madame Clairvoya is definitely mine.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Area 3 cleared, just one more to go.

Part 7 - Boolossus

Anyone have trouble against Boolossus? I've never been able to defeat him without issues.

I do remember the last few ghosts just taking forever to hunt down. They move pretty erratically.

Then again I was just jaw-droppingly bad at video games as a child.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I have to feel bad for Uncle Grimmly though, he's just so pathetic. And also, who would you guys say is your favorite Portrait Ghost? Madame Clairvoya is definitely mine.

Chubbs or whatever the fatass' name is. Mostly because he's me IRL.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

ManlyGrunting posted:

I do remember the last few ghosts just taking forever to hunt down. They move pretty erratically.

Then again I was just jaw-droppingly bad at video games as a child.
I agree with ya. Like I said, I don't recall ever having an easy time with that boss, and it's easily my least favorite part of the entire game.

VolticSurge posted:

Chubbs or whatever the fatass' name is. Mostly because he's me IRL.
Mr. Luggs? Yeah, he's probably my second or third just because of how goofy he is.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I finally get to the roof, and fight one of the most hard-to-find portrait ghost.

Part 9 - The Sealed Room

Man, the Sealed Room sure is lame. Which is odd considering how it can be difficult to even discover.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

So close to the end now. Next video's the finale.

Part 10 - Jarvis

No seriously, what the gently caress is Jarvis supposed to be anyway?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

And now here's the promised finale.

Part 11 - King Boo

Yeah, the game's about as great as I remember it being. The gameplay itself is fun and satisfying; it feels good to capture ghosts, whether the generic ones or a Portrait Ghost. Collecting a poo poo-ton of cash is always fun, and I enjoy the ending ranking system and how it plays out. I enjoy the Portrait Ghosts and their minor, but fun personalities. The only one I don't like is Sir Weston because he's such a pain in the rear end. Capturing the last couple of Boos is also tedious, way more than it needed to be. Things really felt like they were in a rut as I was capturing two or three Boos in a row with several hundred health points. Aside from that, my only major criticism is it's so short, shorter than a number of Nintendo 64 games. In a way I guess that means the game is doing something right if my biggest criticism for it is that there isn't more to play. I'm glad I got to revisit the game again, and I'll probably do so again before 2017 is over, on my own time.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

"How does Bowser keep appearing in future games?"

Either A. Kamek knows necromancy, B. It's Bowser's son taking his place. Don't ask where the next son comes from, or C (which is technically a variation on A): Bowser's doing some Voldemort poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

VolticSurge posted:

"How does Bowser keep appearing in future games?"

Either A. Kamek knows necromancy, B. It's Bowser's son taking his place. Don't ask where the next son comes from, or C (which is technically a variation on A): Bowser's doing some Voldemort poo poo.
I mean, I'm not entirely serious. We even straight up see him die and have his fleshed burned off in New Super Mario Bros. so him coming back from the dead is no biggie. I just remember being surprised as a kid when Madame Clairvoya just straight-up said "Oh yeah, Mario killed that guy."

• Locked thread