Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/100-greatest-movies-checklist/

epic. just epic.

96, bitch :smug:

how many will you get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
It's probably full of poo poo like Almost Famous so I'm not even clicking.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

on the first page theres 2 star wars movies, the dark knight and the shawshank redemption. i shall not click through to see the rest op

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I loving Love Movies

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

98/100. I have failed once again.

Need to see La La Land and True Romance.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Zogo posted:

98/100. I have failed once again.

Need to see La La Land and True Romance.

True Romance would've been better if they'd gone with Tarantino's original scene sequences but it's still pretty drat good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mr. Drive's iconic scorpion jacket > Citizen Kane's iconic hat so it checks out

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I do like all 3 of these

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

In Training posted:

Mr. Drive's iconic scorpion jacket > Citizen Kane's iconic hat so it checks out

They should have shown the Kane's cane instead

e: I got 77. I guess I should get around to watching Shawshank and Godfather 2

Hector Beerlioz fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 17, 2017

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

85/100

It's an alright list for beginners, but only three made before 1950 (Citizen Kane, Casablanca, and It's a Wonderful Life), 1/3 of the films were made in or after 2000, and only 5-7 that weren't American or British productions.

Also, including The Avengers, Captain America: Civil War, and Good Will Hunting on any "greatest" list is a complete farce.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I can name 2000 films better than the list in the OP

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

All the movies on this list are the kinds of movies that people from comment pages on other lists complain are missing. Somebody could produce an identical list without ever having watched a movie in their life

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

In Training posted:

Well?

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Hector Beerlioz posted:

e: I got 77. I guess I should get around to watching Shawshank and Godfather 2

Barely beat my shameful 76.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

:/ My score was definitely boosted by the inclusion of the Marvel movies on the list.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

tyblazitar posted:

Barely beat my shameful 76.

:agesilaus:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

For starters, the Molester Train series has like 20+ entries.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
it doesn't even have the third man on it jfc

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

this list is bullshit because i've seen 36 of these, and on any given "100 best movies ever" list i usually have seen less than half of that number
not shown: gladiator above all three of these movies

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i watched all of them except stand by me + i hate empire magazine and this dumbass list

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kull the Conqueror posted:

it doesn't even have the third man on it jfc

The Third Man, voted as the greatest British film ever made by Sight & Sound, is not on the list

But goddamn The Avengers is.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

R. Guyovich posted:

i hate empire magazine and this dumbass list
:same:

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
94, what was the most indie movie on there? Oldboy? It was basically just a list of best picture nominees and cult favorites from the last 20 years.

Irtsy
Aug 9, 2017
Noticeably missing from the list, off the top of my head, are 8 1/2, Grapes of Wrath, Modern Times, Spartacus, Paths of Glory, Gone with the Wind, Dr. Strangelove, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Tokyo Story, The Wizard of Oz, Metropolis, North by Northwest.... on and on. These might not be the absolute best movies ever made, but they're playing a completely different game than 3/4ths of the films on the list.

These lists come off completely pointless to me unless you have very specific criteria (most impactful, highest grossing, best cinematography, etc.) , but this list is especially pointless. "Greatest Films" lists, when they're not backed up by institutions (BFI, Criterion, Time, christ even IMDB), carry no weight other than being popularity contests. It reads like a college kid's list of films that they recite to impress people at parties. I've tried for the last ten minutes to figure out how or why they've listed the films they have, and the only thing I can come up with is that Empire simply polled their offices and came up with something based on votes. They also probably tossed in some "classics" in order to spice it up.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Irtsy posted:

I've tried for the last ten minutes to figure out how or why they've listed the films they have, and the only thing I can come up with is that Empire simply polled their offices and came up with something based on votes. They also probably tossed in some "classics" in order to spice it up.

These lists are created in different ways. There are some lists out there with a ton of older films and then a few unheralded films released in the last few years with little exposure.

In those situations it's obvious someone is trying to hype newer releases.

Irtsy
Aug 9, 2017

Zogo posted:

These lists are created in different ways. There are some lists out there with a ton of older films and then a few unheralded films released in the last few years with little exposure.

In those situations it's obvious someone is trying to hype newer releases.

That makes sense. Do you have any guesses on why the films are in the spots they are? Lists like this usually give no explanation to their ordering. Even some of the lists I personally respect lack a good explanation and they seem to mainly just poll people within the industry to determine what films make the cut. I guess it boils down to personal preference most of the time, whether the author of the list realizes it or not. Wouldn't you want the people reading to understand why you're taking the time to even order them in the first place?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Irtsy posted:

That makes sense. Do you have any guesses on why the films are in the spots they are? Lists like this usually give no explanation to their ordering. Even some of the lists I personally respect lack a good explanation and they seem to mainly just poll people within the industry to determine what films make the cut. I guess it boils down to personal preference most of the time, whether the author of the list realizes it or not. Wouldn't you want the people reading to understand why you're taking the time to even order them in the first place?

Empire's was done by polling so it's dominated by well-known, high-grossing and recent films. I'd guess the rankings are based simply on how many votes a film received.

The IMDb top 250 uses a weighted rating (factoring in star rating and number of votes) to make its list. There's been controversy with that one as a lot of Indian films aren't included on the list. It seems preferential treatment has been given to new Hollywood releases. Also, there's been accusations of bots voting on a lot of these sites.

Other lists are just curated by the whims of a single person.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Zogo posted:

The IMDb top 250 uses a weighted rating (factoring in star rating and number of votes) to make its list. There's been controversy with that one as a lot of Indian films aren't included on the list. It seems preferential treatment has been given to new Hollywood releases. Also, there's been accusations of bots voting on a lot of these sites.

They actually have a separate top 250 list for Indian movies now, presumably to ensure the normal top 250 isn't full of Bollywood:

Irtsy
Aug 9, 2017

Zogo posted:

Other lists are just curated by the whims of a single person.

I wish more authors were just honest and titled their "greatest movies of all time" lists as "movies I hear are good but I personally haven't seen" or "Films: I'm ordering this list to make me look as cultured as possible."

At least IMDB takes into account a few different data points. It's not perfect (bots, people voting on movies they haven't seen, etc.), but at least they use input from their community. I also had no idea about the Bollywood drama, that's interesting.

RatEarth
Aug 7, 2017

I didn't say that.
but it'd be funny if I did
Really? Titanic is on there? That isn't anywhere near one of the greatest movies ever.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

So is anyone going to say anything about The Dark Knight being the third best movie of all time?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

So is anyone going to say anything about The Dark Knight being the third best movie of all time?

"lol"

shagyan
Nov 3, 2015

In Training posted:

can we have the list then. just use pastebin . i have watch 60% of the movie on the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

trying to jack off posted:

on the first page theres 2 star wars movies, the dark knight and the shawshank redemption. i shall not click through to see the rest op

Also Shaun of the dead AND hot fuzz lmao

• Locked thread