Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dec 26, 2012

If I understood it right, most things stack unless specified otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

01011001 posted:

If I understood it right, most things stack unless specified otherwise.

Thanks -- I actually asked around and got an answer from the author on the FE discord. Freeze stacks, can reduce your Movement down to 0, but you can still move around a little bit by using the Full Move action, since the bonus from the action applies after the penalty from the status effect.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Hey a new kickstarter! I haven't got much more info, but always keen to see what Wade cooks up.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Has any enterprising soul written a “getting started” guide that’s easier to walk people through than the referencey main book?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
What are you having trouble with?

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
I will be running this pretty soon, anyone got any good tips, resources, houserules?
Some people in the group will be playin a pnp rpg for the first time and it will be my first time GMing as well so anything that might help would be appreciated.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Majkol posted:

I will be running this pretty soon, anyone got any good tips, resources, houserules?
Some people in the group will be playin a pnp rpg for the first time and it will be my first time GMing as well so anything that might help would be appreciated.

The rules for Fate and Fate Points in the book are unclear to the point of being unusable without houseruling -- it doesn't distinguish which is which and after a chat with the creator I realized that my original interpretation of how it was supposed to work was completely wrong.

This is, per Word of God, how it's actually supposed to work:

The idea is that Fate is the maximum, Fate Points are easy-come-easy-go.

You expend Fate Points to reroll dice and to activate a couple of specific abilities. You earn Fate Points back by having your Complications cause issues, and you also get a full tank refill at the beginning of each session (so spend them regularly.)

Fate itself is what you reduce to save your character from death, and you don't need any Fate Points in your pool to do this -- you just need at least one (maximum) Fate remaining.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

Oh gently caress thank you so much this is absolutely not the reading I had on this but makes so much more sense and is was pretty sure I knew what I was doing.

Running a game in a couple of months with some fairly experienced D&D players so if anyone else has any common mistakes I'll be glad to hear em.

Planning on running ghost ship Carthage as the first one shot then probably a variety of one shots riffing of 80's films until that gets stake or we naturally start hooking into s grander campaign.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Just forced myself to read this (with the help of the F&F), for a friend's birthday, and there's a lot of goodness hidden behind the reference pages. Looking forward to grabbing the spin-offs.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Are there any basic differences in the combat system between Empire and Kingdom/Aeternum? I've read that melee requires a specific build in FE, since its DNA is that of a cover-based shooter, but I assume Kingdom and Aeternum are going to have a lot more melee combat.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Aeternum definitely changes a lot, mostly by changing the skills and actions you have available around. For example, your basic move action is "Rush" which automatically kills all minions you pass adjacent to when you use it.

All 3 of the variant games also have momentum, a new resource that has various effects.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Aeturnum is probably the lightest? You have more moves, and the momentum mechanic, but it looks like it plays faster; Seas is similar. Kingdoms is a bit more crunchy and melee orientated.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I don't actually own Kingdom yet but I really want to pick it up when I get the chance. Wade Dyer has said in his own post-mortem that vanilla FE kind of has issues with trait balance and the game bogging down at high levels and Kingdom was his attempt to resolve those problems.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Anyone else get their backer PDF's yet for Regions

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Literally just this morning.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
And apparently Fragged Empire is getting a second edition. It'll be compatible with the setting books with maybe some errata. Plans are mostly around cleanup at this point, ETA unknown.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

And apparently Fragged Empire is getting a second edition. It'll be compatible with the setting books with maybe some errata. Plans are mostly around cleanup at this point, ETA unknown.

i love the game and am eager to play more of it but core FE absolutely needs a pass, both for clarity/errata reasons and for progression-related gameplay issues at least.

fantastic news in any case

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

grassy gnoll posted:

Yeah from the update from Wade it looks like a streamlining of some rules (crunch "between Aeternum and Kingdom" levels), still compatible fully with the alt-settings, buncha other cool stuff. Can't wait.

eskimaux
Jun 28, 2007
Just been reading through the new sourcebooks, absolutely brilliant stuff.

Also really excited about FE 2nd Ed. I definitely think the game could do with some tidying up, there is a hell of a lot of crunch that is very complex for not a huge benefit. I think the plan is for release sometime in 2021, but not sure if I’m remembering that right.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Wade just mentioned in Discord that he hopes to Kickstart 2e next year, with a playtest before then. The Discord is open for comments, suggestions, and playtesters. Lore should be backwards compatible, but mechanical things likely won't be.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

I put together a pack of 100+ Fragged Empire icons for use with VTTs based on art from the corebook. I'll be working on a set for the core supplements soon enough.

Enjoy! Or don't.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

This was posted in Discord

quote:

Important Announcement

G’day all.
So the Fragged Empire 2nd edition rules are basically done ‘GASP!’ Alpha testing and a limited closed community playtests (with both new and existing Fragged GMs/PCs) have all been going well and I’m feeling rather good about things.

Development of FE2 has been surprisingly quick (just 6ish months), which is fantastic news as this gives us a HUGE amount of time and space to polish things up and to gather community feedback (and to rebuild entire rule section if needed). For many years I’ve been keeping notes about ideas for how I would like FE2 to work, things in FE1 that I would like to improve, and ideas from Aeternum, Kingdom, Mecha and Seas that I would like to implement. This in combination with the crazy year that we’re all living through has given me a surprising amount of creative energy and drive.

From a business point of view I really should just shut up about all of this until I’m ready to sell it. But my goals for Fragged are VERY ambitious, as I want it to be the #1 medium crunch sci-fi ttRPG on the market. And this is a goal that I think we can reach if we can make the rules truly amazing, but that will only be achieved by building (and earning) large amounts of community involvement.

* If you would like to join ‘Round 1’ of the playtest please join the fe-2nd-edition-discussion channel. At this stage I want to prioritize Actual Play feedback, but proofreading is always welcome.
* Those who give substantial feedback will be given the option to have their name thanked in the final book.
* If you want to get a feel for the direction of FE2’s rules, I suggest you have a look over the character sheets. But in short: the rules/crunch are far easier but just as deep and with a new Munitions system (works a little like Momentum from FA, FK, etc…).
* I hope to Kickstart this next year.
* Feel free to ask me any questions.

I hope to post up a big Kickstarter update on all of this soon (gathering your feedback on this post will help me to solidify my plans and thoughts). Printing of the current 3 books is still on hold due to hold ups in the EU and here in Australia (but these are starting to lighten). I’m also thinking about changing the Mishpacha Guide to be a FE2 book (with a FE1 PDF)… but I need to give this some thought as I don’t want to mistreat any backers (though there won’t need to be many changes as there are few rules in that book)… drat 2020, what a frustrating year

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

And here's the rest of the Fragged Icons, from Antagonist Archive (59 MB), Protagonist Archive (45 MB), and the Rest (20 MB)!

Nearly 200 icons between all four sets, that should do it for existing Fragged Empire books.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Also from the discord: the new books are in (very limited print stock)

Wade posted:

The new Fragged Region books are now publicly available :slight_smile:

Aus/NZ/USA/Can, see the store on my website: http://www.fraggedempire.com/

UK/EU/Rest of the Word, books will be made available via Modiphius very soon.

Please Note:
* These books are the best that I have ever made IMO. I'm really proud of the lore, art and maps that we have produced :smile:
* The lore and colony rules in the Mishpacha book will be compatible with Fragged Empire 2nd edition.
* Aeternum, Kingdom, etc... will all be compatible with the FE2 rules.
* Stock in my USA warehouse is extremely small. Due to 2020 being such a hard year I made the decision to do a smaller print run of these books to ensure I had the cash needed to work on FE2.
* Please remember to add postage to your order.

Details to come at a later date, but be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel as I'm planning on doing some livestreams on there to show people FE2 and to take your questions/suggestions. Live streams will be posted up as videos... but its a unique experience to be there in the audience.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8YZVac5wtpGMKO_BqlH0Yg

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsbudR2bW_8
Kickstarter for the second edition of the game goes up in a couple days.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BabelFish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsbudR2bW_8
Kickstarter for the second edition of the game goes up in a couple days.

Should be tomorrow, in fact!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wadedyer/fragged-empire-2nd-edition-ttrpg

Up now. Author also posted the new character sheet

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vern8hsjod70now/Character%20Sheets%20%28Standard%29.pdf?dl=0

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Backer PDFs went out with emails links to dtrpg, still chuckling at the Palantor gamer art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I haven't gotten to look at the PDFs too much in depth, but everything seems much more straight forward as far as readability is concerned this time around. I think separating some of the core stuff into two different books was good.