Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

WrenP-Complete posted:

I know I'm coming in in the middle here, so sorry if you've already answered this but BrandorKP, you have an 18 month old, or did? How old is your kid now? What are you doing in terms of development? In what environment?

3 years 10.5 months now. Right now we are focusing on emotional regulation and self control, persistence and the ever increasing list of words he can read and spell. In addition, enrich, enrich, enrich any thing and everything including sports. That's how's my parents stayed sane.

In what environment? Heaven. We might live in the best place in the country for a child like this. Excellent community centers with really affordable programs, good libraries, parks everywhere. Idyllic frankly, nothing but opportunity.

Currently his obsessions are plants and fungus. He wakes at 530 and demands specific episodes from The Private Lives of Plants most mornings. I take him out into the forests when I'm not working and he has long conversations with slime molds, mushrooms and lichens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

business hammocks posted:

How does contemporary definition of "giftedness" differ from the understanding current in the 80s-90s when most of us would have been in school?

at least for the 90s I'm pretty sure the only reason i was in a 'Gifted and Talented' program was because of the public backlash against the perceived over-diagnosis of add/adhd that meant i never got tested for it b/c i made decent grades

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

UberJew posted:

at least for the 90s I'm pretty sure the only reason i was in a 'Gifted and Talented' program was because of the public backlash against the perceived over-diagnosis of add/adhd that meant i never got tested for it b/c i made decent grades

Same, actually. Exactly.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i got kicked out of the g&t program for pointing out it's just a system for reinforcing existing class disparity and now i console myself with g&ts

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

I don't know if g&t programs even reinforce anything given the number of people here who have been through them and are 4 standard deviations more bitter than average without much more to show otherwise.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It's been kind of eye opening how lucky I was to be in a good program.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's how white suburban districts handle difficult children with overzealous parents, so it's all survivor bias because the poor and nonwhite kids were just expelled or shot dead by police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

this thread showed some progress in its early stages but when faced with rudimentary challenges fell apart at the seams and is now barely functional. seems similar to something else but i can't figure out what!

• Locked thread