Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Problem description: My computer reboots itself. More specifically, it appears to do it while or after booting an operating system. Most of the time it gets to the windows logo and then restarts. One time I got as far as getting onto discord with a friend before it shut itself down and a couple times I've made it to the login screen. There seems to be no consistency between how far I get based on what I have in my computer; even without changing something after one of those times the next time it will just die at the windows logo again. The same happens when attempting to fedora from USB. Almost immediately after selecting live-cd the monitor goes blank and the desktop shuts itself down and restarts.

I thought it was something about being under load that was forcing it to reboot but I've been running memtest off usb for about an hour now it's running fine.

e: I do also have a usb stick with the windows 10 install disc; I can get to the installation menus but while I'm navigating those menus (ie to get to the various repair options) it will also shut itself down.

Attempted fixes: I've swapped out SATA cables, my graphics card, removed all but 1 stick of ram and tried different sticks in different slots, swapped out power supplies, and removed everything except for 1 stick of ram and my graphics card (board doesn't have onboard video) and attempted to boot from a usb stick with fedora.

Recent changes: I'm assuming this is a really weird happenstance but this all started the one time I tried to install Fedora from the usb onto a partition on my SSD. It restarted while I was configuring the installation options and I haven't been able to get that far since.

Operating system: Windows 10 and Fedora (whatever the recent version is)

System specs:
-
Motherboard: EVGA x58 FTW3
Processor: Intel Core i7-970 Gulftown 6-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1366 130W BX80613I7970 Desktop Processor
Graphics: GTX 970, tested with GTX 560 TI
Memory: 3 x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL
and 3 x Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 12GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 999043
Power Supply: Rosewill PHOTON Series 750W Full Modular Gaming Power Supply, 80 PLUS Gold Certified, Single +12V Rail, Intel 4th Gen CPU Ready, SLI & Crossfire Ready - Photon-750
also tested with Cooler Master Silent Pro M - 1000W Power Supply with 80 PLUS Bronze Certification and Semi-Modular Cables
Hard drives: samsung 840 evo pro 250gb and the thumb drive is an 8GB PNY
-

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Garrand fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
What kind of cooler do you have? And do you know if your PC is running hot? Usually nowadays if a computer shuts itself down or reboots it might be an issue with heating. I would be checking into Booting into UEFI and see how your temps are before going any further. And if so, if you do; does it still reboot?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

It's air cooled but I actually replaced the thermal paste wondering if that was part of the issue when it first happened (this has been going on for a few weeks now). I'll check again once I have a chance but during the memtest, which ran for a couple hours before I stopped it, my temps didn't top 60C.

I don't know why I can run memtest but I can't boot a fedora live-cd or boot into windows. Even Windows recovery menus on usb reboot after a little bit. I'm baffled.

This was an awful time for this to happen because I just moved and it will probably be months before I can afford to get a cpu/motherboard combo (because I really don't want to source some old used lga1366 motherboard - especially if it turns out the cpu is the problem in some way).

e: more specifically, I'm just using the stock heatsink that came with it as shown here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIMN--OpqaM&t=75s

Garrand fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 26, 2017

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Does it still reboot from UEFI? I have no experience with fedora so I can't really help you there. I was kinda hoping it was just a heating issue but from what I read its not that. So I'm sorry I can't help you there. :(

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

No, it doesn't. Although I just hosed something else up and now it won't boot at all but I'm done struggling with it for now. Thanks for the try though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Garrand posted:

No, it doesn't. Although I just hosed something else up and now it won't boot at all but I'm done struggling with it for now. Thanks for the try though

Try clearing the motherboard CMOS using a jumper whenever you try again.

• Locked thread