Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Gazetteer posted:

Crawford, Sarah
Question 3: Why have you stayed in Tall Pines instead of just going on a reckless joyride with Sarah's body to the nearest big city? What's keeping you here?

I could run to the nearest city. See all the things I've heard of it would be great except... I made Sarah, the real Sarah a promise. I promised her I wouldn't hurt her or anyone she cared about. Sarah cared about her family about her Mom. From what I can gather it's just been her and her Mom since her dad walked out years ago and it's been hard for them. There must have been times when all they had was each other, If Sarah- if I ran away ran to the big city it would break her heart it would leave her devastated and it would really hurt her and my promise would be broken. And if I broke my promises what kind of person would I be? I'd be the outcast, the oathbreaker none of my people would ever speak with me again and I'd be alone in this world. I don't want that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Gazetteer posted:

Harrison, Wendy
Question 3: Where do you like to go that makes you feel relaxed and less out of place? What does it remind you of, and why is that surprising?

Wendy smiles, just a bit. "The television is very inviting." She chuckles. "I know, 'it rots your mind,' but... I don't mean to be morbid, but I can't be more than a skeleton by now."

"I remember, when I first woke up here, the sights and sounds were all so overwhelming. Lights from carriages, music at every street corner, and it seemed the world was more colorful. I didn't know what to do. I panicked, and I ran into the Market Street Market. Inside, it felt like something close to home. The walls were lined with everything from food to bandages, and in the back of the store, I heard that song... well, maybe not that exact song. It was coming from a radio, and next to the radio was a little black and white window playing one of those games I was telling you about. It was engrossing. It reminded me of the songs Mother sang to us when we were very young. The songs never had meaning, but they allowed me to have the most vivid dreams."

"I went into the Market Street Market all the time, and as it grew, so did its televisions. Only a few years went by until the screens were showing color, and the most remarkable thing happened: I started dreaming in color too. It was as if the screen helped unlock something that was... holding back my mind."

Wendy's smile fades. "I watched people go in and out of the store, day in and day out. I watched the building grow taller, wider and brighter. And I watched the boss of the place, Lewis Pithner, grow from an enterprising young person into a sweet old man."

"And then one day, he walked out of the store and didn't come back. And his face was on the television in his store for... weeks. And then he became a picture on the wall, looking at his legacy with the same smiling eyes he's always had." She folds her hands in her lap and observes her surroundings.

"If anything helped me, really helped me to understand life, it was this store. I'm the person at the counter, and I watch everyone else enter and exit. Some people may never notice me, and some people may need special attention, but I'll always be here..."

Wendy begins to dissipate, sinking into the ground. "Always..." Out of view, she quietly sobs.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Robin is done!

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Gazetteer posted:

Rain, Morgan
Question 1: What monster do you wish you hadn't killed?
Jeez, this reminds me of the wolves. The former are endangered because they attack stupid people and pets and livestock, rarely but memorably. But without them there are too many goddamn deer, which unchecked just eat other animals out of house and home–like the songbirds, who eat pest insects–and kill people running in front of their cars. They do this all the time, but it's not memorable. Walt loving Disney's Bambi is all people remember. That innocence.

I made the same mistake: the white couple I later named Chiat and Cholog hosed up some rituals and a Wendigo started hunting them, but I was so concerned with being better that I got it first. My uncle Ron told me that if a monster hurts a human they have to die, but that's just not right. What I learned is sometimes when a monster comes after you it's nature's way of telling you you hosed up, and a claw mark like that will stick around to remind you to stop courting evil spirits in pursuit of power.

It's not like Ron said, where monsters are always on the edge and when they go too far punishing some transgression they can never go back and have to be put down. Greedy people can always hurt themselves hanging on too hard to what they stole, and their fear and tears are prices they have to pay if they're supposed to right themselves. In the end, instead of slowing the Shrinks down or stopping them I made that Wendigo speed up their research with a donation of hide and horns, which they'll use to do who knows the gently caress what. Not help my people, the songbirds in this metaphor whose lands and livelihoods have been eaten by the white-tailed deer, that's for drat sure.

So I try to handle things on more of a case-by-case basis now. Morgan Rain, parleying with monsters–hah! "Dancing With Wolves!" :barf:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Susie is completed

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."
Morgan, Rain
Question 2: Who outside of your family do you most regret telling about your secret role?

Savage, Susie
Question 1: What's the biggest thing you've had to give up for your new calling?

Winters, Robin
Question 1: Even if you like it here in general, what's the thing you like least about moving to Tall Pines?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Gazetteer posted:

Savage, Susie
Question 1: What's the biggest thing you've had to give up for your new calling?

That's... kind of tricky. I lost all my new friends, and the comfortable life i had going on, and my grades are dropping, but none of those are something I really gave up, since I didn't choose to. It just happened as a side effect. If you'd asked me to pick, between them and hunting monsters, I never would have picked monsters. ...well, maybe over grades. I think I can still manage to get into an okay college with some form of scholarship... hopefully. But then I didn't choose to hunt monsters either - or... did I? I got chosen, but could I have just ignored them and continued? I suppose that was a choice, but only a heartless person could have done otherwise. Sorry, sorry, the biggest thing I've given up.

Sleep? I have to do most of my stuff at night now - no, that's not important in that right sense. I was hunting a werewolf, and I needed silver. Not like I could find a gun and a bullet, but a blade would work. In the end, the only thing I could find was my a necklace my grandma gave me before she died. I didn't want to use it, but eventually I melted it down and made a really lovely silver knife that I was able to stab it with in the heart. Can't get the necklace back, but at least I have something the next time I have to fight a werewolf. Is that too tangible this time? I used to write in my free time, short stories, you know? I just... don't have time for it anymore. And I finally have good material too...

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Gazetteer posted:

Park, Rosabella
Question 3: What's something you saw in town that you can't explain, and how did it make you question something about yourself?

Carey was giving me a ride home from cheerleading practice (oh, I made the cheer squad, by the way) and we decided on a late night snack at one of the many garbage-pile rundown diners lining the interstate. Food tastes like it's drenched in motor oil but Carey loves the stuff - and somehow maintains her great figure. I'll stick with a coffee, thanks.

Anyways, this weird thing happened right as we were packing up to leave. All the lights suddenly went out, and everybody froze. Like, Carey was mid-sentence and just stopped, her mouth hanging open like some labrador. Only, I wasn't frozen - and was very aware of the massive dark figure that had suddenly appeared in the middle of the room. The tall darkness was more beastial than anything else, and close to a dozen feet tall - hunkering down to fit in the building. The only features I could make out in it were is bright, violet eyes - which were locked directly on me.

It's hard to describe what it felt like under the beast's gaze. Like it was judging everything I was, all in that moment. My sins and virtues all lined up for it to pick and choose from. It knew me.

And then just as suddenly, it was gone, replaced by light and motion and Carey deciding whether to finish off her last onion ring. Was it a dream? Some sort of moving-to-Tall-Pines-related PTSD? Or was it something else? Something... real? Whatever it was, it made me feel completely out of control of my life. Like none of my plans even mean anything. Like there's a whole universe out there that I know nothing about - and things like money and power here mean squat. But... that can't be right. Right?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Gazetteer posted:

Lancaster, Sara
Question 3: What's the most selfish thing you've done chasing a thrill?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MER8SZDxx2o

I know what you're poking at. The "incident" at the train tracks. I know there's lots of rumors going around about what happened that night but here it is, the loving straight story.

Sometimes people throw "guerrilla" concerts, where the few local bands in town at the time come together to play a show. Of course it's usually at someone's house when there parents aren't there for the weekend instead of any place cool.
However this one time it was at an abandoned warehouse by the train tracks where they hadn't disconnected the power and the water yet. In addition to the normal crowd that shows up to these things a couple of self-proclaimed crust punks who hitchhike on trains decided to stop by. The band I'm currently in, Black Scream of Death, had a set and were playing that night. One of the crusties, Art Sladen, kept yelling out insults that we sucked and should get off the stage during our set. I could of ignored it but I felt like I had an image to protect, so I yelled that he should say that to my face.

Turns out he took my advice. After we finished up our set he came to the "backstage" area with a few of his crustie friends and got all up in my face. I may have said a few choice words, like "rear end in a top hat" and "cocksucker" and "loving coward" because he took a swing at me. The whole thing degenerated into a brawl. At one point Art was behind me, with his arms around me trying to choke me. With nothing to lose, I bit down on his arm. I bit hard enough to break skin, my mouth filled with blood. He howled in pain, and I let him go. "What the gently caress is wrong with you?!," he yelled at me. I simply stared back and swallowed what was in my mouth, causing him to freak out and run away. The night's concert kind of shutdown after that and no ones been brave enough to throw another one at that location even though it's kind of perfect. A few people even gossiped that I ripped out a chunk of his arm.

Truth be told it was only a tiny piece, mostly because he moved his arm before I could completely let go. The weirdest thing about it is that it felt good, like insanely good, when I took that bite and swallowed it. Must have been the adrenaline from the fight I guess.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Savage, Susie
Question 2: Who have you reconnected with since you came back to Tall Pines, and why are you getting along with them so much better than you used to?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Gazetteer posted:

Savage, Susie
Question 2: Who have you reconnected with since you came back to Tall Pines, and why are you getting along with them so much better than you used to?

Oh, this one is easy, Lana Jansen. She was my across-the-street neighbor, and my arch-nemesis when we were kids. But the day we moved in she came across the street with a plate of brownies to welcome us back and some *ahem* special ones she offered to me. We started talking, and it turns out we both have the same favorite band, some of the same interests, and that we could both remember that we'd hated each other, but neither of us could remember why. It didn't really seem worth it picking up some childhood rivalry now that we're both older and smarter, and now we both have a neighbor across the street we actually like hanging out with and to work on (copy each others') homework - she's better at math and science, I'm better at lit, so we can just do each other's work. She's shown me around town, helped point out the stuff more important to people my age, since most of what I remember is kid stuff, and tells me the important stuff about people at schol -ie: whose single, who to avoid, which teachers are hardasses- and my parents don't mind if we smoke out back, and when I saw a drunk older guy harassing her by the corner store I smacked him around for her. It works out pretty well for both of us I think.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Savage, Susie
Question 3: You were too slow. What happened?

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Gazetteer posted:

Winters, Robin
Question 1: Even if you like it here in general, what's the thing you like least about moving to Tall Pines?

...I guess I should be more honest with you. Most of the people here... haven't exactly been kind to me when I moved...

I get all kinds of nasty looks when I go to school here. Not just from the students, but the teachers, too. They hear that I came from the city, and they think that I'm some sort of rich, spoiled party girl, when in reality, my mom and I have been struggling while we were living in the city. I've been harassed, multiple times now, and whenever I go to an adult for help, they... ignore me. I remember, one day, when I came to school, and someone spray-painted "City Whore" on my locker, and when I tried to talk to a teacher about it, they.... well, they gave me this look, like they don't really care about whatever problems I've been having, and said, "Oh, is that so?"

I don't understand. I don't understand any of this. I'm used to being ignored, but not like this. Why am I being treated so differently? Why do all the other students shun me? Why do the teachers look at me with scorn? Why do they all see me as something I'm not? How does being born in the city make me different from them?

I just... I just don't understand...

...I'm sorry, I didn't mean to dump all my problems on you. It's just been rough. I like this town, I really do, but I just wish... I wish the people in school didn't treat me so differently. You're honestly the first person here who's been treating me well...

I've tried to talk to my mom about my problems at school, but she... she just looks so happy living here. I don't think I've ever seen my mom so happy before. I remember how miserable she looked when we were living in our old place, and how exhausted she was most of the time. I just... I don't think I have it in me to ruin it all for her, so when she asks me how was school, I lie, and tell her everything's fine, when it really isn't.

I just have to endure it for now, for my mom's sake, and hope that things'll get better eventually. It's hard, but at least I'm not alone anymore. At least... I have you now...

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Gazetteer posted:

Morgan, Rain
Question 2: Who outside of your family do you most regret telling about your secret role?
"We didn't cross the border, the border crossed us." You ever hear that from indigenous people? Talking about how they were forced to be foreigners by politics and wars changing the landscape to make them of all people the migrants and aliens. Well the family I regret sharing my destiny with the most I don't consider family anymore, the border crossed them. I've had to move the borders of family and friend around people as the circumstances have shown what I can't afford to care about...

You want details and I'm being cagey, I know. It just hurts to say. It's people I'm living with. My parents. Yeah, I went whole hog and don't think of my parents as family anymore. I must be crazy. Thing is, they just aren't good at supporting me up... in any way. They want me to give up being me and hide as someone else, and as long as I don't, I'm just someone who lives in their room with the door always closed. I come and go through the window. I'm not a mooch though, I only take the amenities I really need. The roof, the electricity, bathroom. I only eat their leftovers. Better me than mold and flies...

It's not great, but I haven't gotten myself thrown out, that matters. Every time they find out I'm doing some more "perverted" or "superstitious" stuff, or "getting in fights" I'm one step closer to that. I'm not a secret agent, I just don't talk to them anymore and stay invisible. "Put a shovel in my hand and I could appear anywhere..." my dad used to mutter, about being treated like a migrant worker and invited to work in people's houses when he's on a morning walk and given a hard time when he's dressed for work and given the run around while traveling for business. Point is it's easier to blend in as someone conforming to people's narrow expectations sometimes, you avoid questions and confrontation. That's the last thing we're willing to do for one another, just to coexist. I'm... kind of okay with that. Let's me focus on what's really important.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Morgan, Rain
Question 3: You had to go somewhere you didn't want to go to help someone you didn't want to help -- what was that about?

Winters, Robin
Question 2: Things around Tall Pines are... different. All these shadowy trees and old buildings, things can start to play tricks on you. What's something you saw that was hard to immediately explain?

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Anne, the Queen

she's not a japanese schoolchild she's just a huge weeb okay

quote:

Tall Pines Community College doesn't offer much, but it does have thriving mycology and geology departments.

Certain parts of Tall Pines are "scientifically interesting" in the way that Night Vale is. Though maybe not to the same degree. Not enough to draw fancy folk from the cities, but there's all kinds of weird flora and rock formations and things if you know where to look. Enough to keep grant money trickling in, enough that...well, every once in awhile somebody stumbles onto something.

it's so lonely here.

i--okay, there are people here, all my family's here, but that doesn't make it any different, okay? It doesn't make it feel any less lonely. Not when--sure, some people like it just fine, but me?

nobody notices noticed *me*. Not until I found--

...I caught something. At first it just felt like a bad cold but--

No, no, that's not right. I didn't catch something. Something caught *me*, got as sick on me as i got on it, and now we're--I'm--

I see the world different, now.

Who'd've thought that not being lonely anymore would be this *scary*?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm not a monster, right? I'm--you don't know what it's like, okay? It's different, now. The loneliness, the emptiness, not being togetherconnectedintertwinedinextricable, it *hurts* worse than it ever has and it doesn't stop.

And...

And they probably feel that way too, right?

They're different now, too.

We're a part of each other.

So it'd be worse just to tell them to go away, right? Crueler.

I--we're ha--it's better this way. For all of us.

So why do I feel like a monster?

quote:

Anne Clarke, the Queen
Neurotic, vacant eyes, firstborn of the hive mind
Hot +2 Cold +1 Volatile -1 Dark -1

Moves:

The Clique: You’re at the head of the toughest, coolest, most powerful clique around. They count as a gang.
Choose one of the following strengths for your gang:
•They're cultists (with dark oaths and willingness to die)

Streaming: You have a telepathic connection with your gang members. You can always hear their emotions and fears. If you try to hear specific thoughts, Gaze Into the Abyss about it and add 1 to your roll.

Sex Move: When you have sex with someone, they gain the Condition one of them. While the Condition remains, they count as part of your gang.

Darkest Self: They’ve failed you. Again. This whole mess is their fault, and why should you have to suffer the consequences of their idiocy? You need to make an example out of each of them -- a cruel and unwavering example. You escape your Darkest Self when you relinquish part of your power to someone more deserving, or when you destroy an innocent person in order to prove your might.

Followers:

Alice Carver, delinquent who probably says lots of cusses and smokes behind the bleachers. Grew up with Anne, but started bullying her in junior high. Definitely not semi-closeted and also a closet nerd, what are you talking about?

Wren Fields, helpful smol soft boy-adjacent nerd. Quiet and unobtrusive, except when he's getting excited about birds. (Which is often. He's named after a bird, I think there's some kind of law about it.) His mom's a school counselor, though, the type who *really cares* (or fakes it well, w/e) and who *really* wants to be involved in her child's education and home life, so....that might be a problem.

Clara Hale, flute enthusiast, a little gloomy-gothy. Her parents own the one bookstore in town, which.....it's seen better days, and nobody really knows how it's still around, but it still has that cozy secondhand bookstore aesthetic. (It's not a secondhand shop) She was supposed to be going to some private school in the big city, but.....something happened, and now she's back in Tall Pines.

Ningyou fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 5, 2017

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

:siren: The last day for submissions is tomorrow! :siren:

Queen, Anne the
Question 1: Someone wants to be in your group, whether they understand what it actually entails or not -- you really do not want this person around in that way, though. Who are they and why?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Gazetteer posted:

Morgan, Rain
Question 3: You had to go somewhere you didn't want to go to help someone you didn't want to help -- what was that about?
*Scoffs* You're gonna have to be more specific.

Nah, you want me to tell you a place I hate: the casino resort. The thing is a giant mimic, the treasure chest with teeth from video games. It breathes poison gas made of cheap cigarettes and dying people's diapers. It sits on a hoard of would-be inheritances. But it also employs a lot of my people. It's complicated. It's also unkillable.

So, there was a big rear end flood, like Noah-tier, you-have-sinned, nobody could work, but when it was over with they just got outside investors and renovated. So there's some Taiwanese higher ups around now, you know, with iffy titles and no townie friends but tons of money. The closest I get to any of them is their bratty kids, mostly Coco, the tall, bored looking one with the designer clothes who calls me "Rainie". She likes using me to piss off her conservative stepdad, Leo, who hates me. Whether it's commissioning beaded jewelry from me, which I use to support myself, or buying me random expensive shoes, it works, the guy hates it. So of course I had to go save his rear end from 魔鬼, mogwai. Yeah, that's what they named the little guy from Gremlins after. They're pissed off ghosts that traditionally you ward off by burning fake paper banknotes, "hell money." The idiot got drunk and burned chips for an offering, as if he could comp the dead and write it off, and that hit a nerve so they started wrecking the place. He holed up in his panic room and she gave me the call.

I learned on the ride that just because he was safe didn't mean we weren't on a clock, though. It was about to storm outside. Why's that matter? In the movie gremlins multiply in any water, in real life it's also gotta be raining. Also, they actually, you know. Do it. Anyway, light banishes them, especially the sun, but it was the middle of the night, so... I rolled the dice. The casino had a stage magician performer, I stole a bunch of flash paper, had Coco write some fake checks on it, we folded them into bigass cranes–symbols of peace. Having those offerings let us get in close and draw them to us, we prayed that it was all of them, lit it up, caused the explosion, and of course set off the sprinklers. I know, giving them water while it was raining meant if we didn't get them all we were just gonna make it worse. But it worked out, far as I know.

Coco gave me my first kiss then I got beaten up by security and banned from the Casino for life.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Gazetteer posted:

Winters, Robin
Question 2: Things around Tall Pines are... different. All these shadowy trees and old buildings, things can start to play tricks on you. What's something you saw that was hard to immediately explain?

...One night, while I was making my way back home, I swear I could see the shadow's moving from the corner of my eye. It was almost as if they were watching me, following me wherever I go. I thought I was just being paranoid, and my mind was just playing tricks on me, so I tried to ignore it, and continue on my way.

...And then I saw it.

I don't even know how to describe it. I'm not even sure if what I saw was even real. How do I even begin to explain it?

I saw eyes. Eyes of pure white, staring at me from the darkness. It was almost as if it was staring directly at my soul. The air became hard to breath, and it started to feel like I was drowning. My whole body was screaming at me to run away, run away NOW!, and that's what I did. I ran, and I kept running, until I couldn't run anymore. I didn't care about which direction I was running to, as long as I was far, far away from it.

The whole experience left me so terrified that I locked myself up in my room, and refused to come out. I ended up missing a week of school, and my mom was starting to get really concerned about me. My mom, after a week of trying, finally convinced me to open up to her, so I told her about what I saw. I told her about the eyes. I told her about it. I was ready for my mom to think that I was losing my mind, that her only daughter was going crazy, but... she didn't. Do you want to know what she did? She hugged me tight, and said, "Everything is going to be alright. It's just the stress that's getting to you. You're okay. There's nothing wrong with you," and then I cried. I cried for a good, long time, while my mother was holding me.

I haven't seen it since that night. I'm starting to think that mom was right, and that it was probably just all the stress I've been going through. It was all in my head. There's no way what I saw could ever be real... right?

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Winters, Robin
Question 3: It's not all bad, right? You have made at least one friend since coming here, even if they did get you into a scrape the other day. Who are they and what happened?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Gazetteer posted:

Savage, Susie
Question 3: You were too slow. What happened?

Ah.

You... heard about that then?

Most people think it was just a suicide. Well, it was a suicide. But. *sigh*

So about a week after I got here, I was out around the town with Lana, doing one of our 'see what's new' tours. When we went by the old bridge - you know the one, used to be a train bridge over the valley? Too old for trains these days, but it gets foot traffic from people hiking up into the hills - and I saw a shadowy figure up there, standing at the edge and staring off into the past. We didn't get close enough for me to get a good look at it, but enough of one to tell it was a ghost. And I couldn't go off and investigate it with her around, she couldn't - well, wouldn't is closer to the right word - notice it without me drawing attention, so she'd either think I was crazy or I'd spook the poo poo out of her. But it wasn't like there'd been any news of people dying by the bridge recently, so I wasn't too worried about anything bad happening, it'd been there awhile, after all.

Ha.

I'd kind of forgotten about it by the time we went home, and didn't remember until the next day. It took awhile to find on the internet, Tall Pines not being a very well documented area, but eventually I found a death at the bridge, lover's suicide a hundred years ago. The problem was it was a hundred years ago exactly - to the day. I grabbed some salt and rosemary from the cupboard and ran to the bridge. If it hadn't been so far out of town, or I'd remembered just a little bit earlier... gently caress. I saw him, holding hands with the ghost from the foot of the bridge, but he was already caught up in the ghost's reenactment, and none of my yelling could reach him before they jumped. A few days after the police cleanup was done, I came back and did a proper cleansing ritual on the bridge to move the ghost along to the next life. But it shouldn't have happened at all.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Gazetteer posted:

Winters, Robin
Question 3: It's not all bad, right? You have made at least one friend since coming here, even if they did get you into a scrape the other day. Who are they and what happened?

Oh, yes! I did make one friend here! You might be a little surprised at who it is. You know Cassie Owens? The big girl with the mean look on her face? She's actually a really close friend of mine!

I'll never forgot how we met. One of the boys at school- Jacob- just wouldn't leave me alone. He kept following me around, trying to get me to go out with him for a "couple of drinks," and he wouldn't take "no" for an answer, and just when I was about to break, in comes Cassie, and she punches Jacob right in the face! "She said NO!" She yelled out, "Now GET LOST, you loving creep!"

Jacob scrambled up to his feet, and ran away, and he hasn't bothered me since that day.

I remember looking at Cassie with disbelief. Did she... actually help me? I mean, yes, I would have preferred it if her help was a little less violent, but that didn't change the fact that she was the first person who actually tried to help me since I moved here. When I asked her why she did what she did, she said, "Guys like that really piss me off." Then she looked at me, and said, "Anyways, you hungry? I was about ta get some pizza. Wanna join me? It'll be my treat."

We've been friends ever since.

I know Cassie has a bad reputation around the school and most people think she's dangerous, but she's not as bad as they think she is. Cassie is a good person who cares deeply about the people she's close to, like her younger siblings, and I've seen how far she would go to make the people important to her happy. She just has... trouble expressing herself sometimes, and she can come off as abrasive when she didn't mean to.

I won't deny that she has some issues with anger, though. She never once got angry at me, thankfully, but we got into big trouble yesterday because of her anger. A few of the boys were yelling insults at us, calling us "queer" and other terrible things. Cassie was getting really angry, so I told her to ignore them. This isn't something worth getting angry over. Then one of the boys said something about her mother, and that was enough to set her off. I tried my best to calm her down, but I wasn't able to. A fight broke out between her and the boys. A few teachers showed up a few minutes later, and managed to stop the fight, and Cassie ended up getting suspended for a few days.

When I met with Cassie today, she looked... well, she looked regretful for what she's done. She apologized for all the trouble she caused me, and said that she would understand if I wanted to stop being friends with "someone like her."

I looked Cassie in the eyes, and told her I would never want to stop being friends with her. I told her how much our friendship meant to me, and how, even after what happened yesterday, I still think that, deep down inside, she's a good person, and nothing will ever change that, and next time, when she gets that angry again, I'll try even harder to stop her.

She started crying. It was the first time I've ever seen her cry.

After all that, we went to get some pizza together, expect it was my treat this time.

Life in Tall Pines might be a little rough, but at least I'm lucky I have a good friend like Cassie with me.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

quote:

Queen, Anne the
Question 1: Someone wants to be in your group, whether they understand what it actually entails or not -- you really do not want this person around in that way, though. Who are they and why?

Ugh.

So...there's this boy who sits behind me in math, Rowan Barnes. Willowy, kinda cute (gosh, those eyes), doesn't talk much. never noticed me us before obv but now--

...sorry. Anyways, um, a little after everything changed, he--he started being real friendly to me all of a sudden and trying to pass me these cutesy little notes in class and then one day he just happened to run into me after school and--

A bunch of fidgeting and fragmented sentences later, he told me that he was totally into this poly thing too -- like, he hadn't *done* it but he read a lot and he's totally into, you know--

He said this thing about how he knows what it's like because he has sooooo much love, way too much for one person, and we just seem so different from everyone else and so much closer and it just sounds dorky when i say it now but the way he said it then made me feel so....

I don't think I want his thoughts in our head.

I didn't say no, exactly, because--because I'm bad at saying no, okay?! Jeez. But......but I didn't say yes, and I didn't even say maybe, so he should've gotten the hint, right?

Ningyou fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 5, 2017

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Queen, Anne the
Question 2: Tell me about a time one of your 'friends' started to drift away and you went a little overboard to keep them close.

Question 3: Who almost found out about your situation? What did you do?

Gazetteer fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 5, 2017

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

:siren: Applications are now closed. :siren:

Waiting on all questions to be answered before I make final picks, if anyone was like... very-nearly-ready to post up a completed profile but hadn't had a chance, let me know.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

quote:

Queen, Anne the
Question 2: Tell me about a time one of your 'friends' started to drift away and you went a little overboard to keep them close.

.....how did you know? Is it--oh gosh, ohgoshohgoshohgosh, is it--am i leaking out? *Can* I leak?

Alice used to bully me. Y--you don't need to know the specifics. Unless you know them already? She--I didn't even mean for her to end up--i mean, she's cute and she makes me feel safe but i shouldn't, i mean--i mean, you're not supposed to feel that way about someone like that, right?

But I did, and I do, even if it was an accident, and--

and then like a week later she was like no, this is weird and wrong and hosed up and i couldn't tell if she was talking about kissing a girl or being like this and she called me that nickname of hers from before and said she wanted out and--

FINE, i said.

i cut her off, sudden and sharp.

....she didn't show up for school the next day.

she came crawling back Monday, found me in the library. god, she looked like--

she said it felt like
like that time something was wrong with her insurance and she had to go off her meds for a week. the meds she needs to *live*.
like when her dog died, but ten times worse.

i'm a monster i'm never letting her go again.

quote:

Queen, Anne the
Question 3: Who almost found out about your situation? What did you do?
...so Rowan's not the only one who noticed me.

You know Sarah Pinewell? That goody-goody Jesus Camp girl who won't let anyone forget her great-great-great grandpa founded the town? (Is that really something you want to be proud of...?) No drinking, no dancing, no dresses above the ankle? The girl who pushes fliers for her creepy youth group on everyone before school every Thursday?

She, um, she walked on on me and Clara in the band rehearsal room after school. After I--

She got *angry*. Started screaming all red-faced about wrongness and unholiness and how she could *tell*, she could tell what I am, she knows what I did to Alice--

my heart started pounding and everything was a blur of yelling about 'darkness' and 'infecting her' and 'brainwashing' and stuff like that until.....

"...I know you lesbians have to recruit people into your awful godless sex cult, but not today! I know all your tricks! I listen to Alex Jones!"

she said 'infecting,' 'brainwashing,' but she

she knows something's up, but she thought i

this is really dumb.

she could tell i did something to Anne and Clara, but only in the sense that she can totally tell that all lesbians recruit other lesbians with their weird gay mind control powers and maybe if you kill the Head Gay maybe all the other lesbians suddenly become really excited about homemaking and Chris Evans and purity balls?

So....so I tried really hard to hold in this relieved laugh. (Clara just looked lost.) And I stammered out something ridiculous about how she better watch it, 'cos she's a formidable adversary but at any moment I could become extra gay and overcome her! I-I wasn't trying to sound convincing, but she seemed really convinced! (Maybe?) I mean, she kind of *squeaked* and muttered something about her creepy church group and a you'll-be-sorry and stomped off, so...

Ningyou fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 5, 2017

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Picks for the game:

1. Anne Clark, the Queen
2. Wendy Harrison, the Ghost
3. Sara Lancaster, the Goul
4. Susie Savage, the Chosen
5. Robin Winters, the Mortal

Highlights are not longer a thing, so all that's left now before the topic goes up is string picks. Here is the string sheet for this game, please keep track here. Sorry to everyone who didn't get in! Picks are always hard. I'll get additional stuff up shortly.

Gazetteer fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 6, 2017

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Someone knows that you're dead and how you died. They gain 2 Strings on you.
Susie or Anne for this.

You've been inside someone's bedroom while they were sleeping. Take a String on them.
Gonna say Robin, post to follow.

v Dib-dubs on watching Sara die. Wendy is incredibly metal.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 6, 2017

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Someone reminded you what love was, when you thought that death had stolen it away from you forever. Give them a String.

No one comes back to Tall Pines. It's an iron law of the universe, like gravity pulling you down or pizza never being worse then okay. Susie Savage got out. She escaped. Her dad had gotten a better job and she moved out to a city with a college, concerts, and the concept of a future.

She loving hated it here. It was one of the few things that bonded us together into real friends. Ragging on and tearing down every single aspect of this town. I even cheered her on upon learning of her escaping this place, going through the effort of even throwing together a Tall Pines lovely Concert™ to celebrate. There was cheap vodka and bad beer. A bunch of teenagers making bad decisions. And Susie and I hugging at the end of it all, where I whispered, "I better not see you in this town ever again." I cried in public for the first time that night.

And then she just waltzes back into town one day. Coming back to this shithole. What The gently caress.

Did anyone watch you die? If so, you gain 2 Strings on each other.

Surprisingly enough, few kids from school actually saw the accident. The show was 18+ and The Big Hunt actually made more then a token effort to check for fakes, due to the two for one drink special they were offering. Most of the gossip came from parents and the scattered amounts of 20-30 somethings that haven't ditched this town yet. But there was one fellow teen there. Wendy Harrision was milling about in the back like she always does, trying not to be seen. Poor thing, she looked so goddamn out of place compared to all of the people trying their best to casually look cool. She got a good view of the accident, from my powerful first note to the paramedics carrying me out on a stretcher to the ambulance.

After I had gotten back into town I got tons of congratulations on my "miraculous" recovery. None about my performance because what can you say about a single note? But then Wendy came along and gave me the first and only complement related to the actual show, "That show at the Hunt was great. You're so metal!" I actually laughed for the first time since the accident.

However I noticed she wasn't surprised at all that I was still alive. Nearly everyone I had encountered since then thought I had died and reacted with various levels of shock when I came back from the hospital. It's like she's not surprised that I recovered from a lethal shock that should have killed anyone who got hit by it.

I mean it's possible she knows but what's she gonna do, report me for not dying right?

Zikan fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 6, 2017

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

quote:

Choose one person to be your Lover. Give them three Strings on you. Take one String on them.

During lunch, I noticed Anne reading one of my favorite books, Rose Princess Noriko. It's... it's probably a silly thing to say, but Noriko is a book that meant a lot to me. I've read it so many times when I was younger, and it was what got me into drawing in the first place, and it's not often that I see other people reading it, so I walked up to her, and said, "Excuse me. Is that Princess Noriko you're reading? I love that book!"

Then she just... stared at me, and just when I was thinking I did something wrong, she said;

"Do.... you like anime!?"

...And that's how we first met.

I know Anne can be a little... awkward, but she's just so earnest, and genuinely sweet, and the way she gets all excited about the things she likes is so adorable!

...I thought I forgot how to be happy, but being around Anne... makes me remember again. She makes me smile, and laugh. She makes me feel wanted. Being around Anne makes me forget about all my problems. She makes me forget about all my nightmares. She makes me feel... she makes me feel... loved?

...Heh, listen to me. It sounds like I might've fallen for her, doesn't it? I'm not sure if I have, but I... I can't deny she makes me feel things I haven't felt in a long, long time. Meeting Anne... might be the best thing that's happened to me since I moved here.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 7, 2017

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
You have two friends who you rely on for monster-slaying or crime-fighting support. Take a String on each.
Like I said, it sucked leaving all my friends behind, even if getting the hell out of Tall Pines was worth it. Hardest one was Sara. She was my best friend back then, and if it hadn't been for her I would have been a lot happier to go. As it was, we were both glad I was getting out of here, but it felt like betrayal to leave her behind. Last thing she said to me was that I better not come back. And then I had to. Isn't that great? Part of me - most of me - really wanted to see her again. But like, how do you do that, after leaving the way we did? And what if she hated me for coming back? I just felt like I couldn't go up and talk to her again. I kept half avoiding her, half following her at school, hoping she'd, I dunno, run into me, or see me and say something. But I guess we were both doing that. I didn't end up talking to her until one night I was out and saw her walking along the road with her guitar case. Coming back from a gig I suppose, but a little behind her was some thing. Never did figure out what exactly kind of monster it was, but when it jumped out to attack her it had too many human arms with too many joints, and some kind of freaky toothy mouth instead of a stomach, and no head at all. After the two of us put it down, we kind of had to talk then. She wasn't rattled, but even the coolest person (like her) is going to have some questions after getting attacked by THAT. Since then she's been helping me on my hunts, and she isn't afraid of anything, which is more than I can say about myself.

Is it bad that I don't really remember what Anne was like from before I left? Everyone knew everyone around here, but she just... never made an impression? I feel kind of bad about that. But that isn't really the point - a little after Sara found out about everything, I was walking around the school after class, checking the place out, when I got this terrible smell. Really reeked. When I got a bit closer, I could hear it too, mix of these feral animal noises and childish forced rhymes. And some whimpering. Have you ever seen a troll? Well I hadn't before, and I didn't have any goats and it was daytime, so I just winged it, ripped a tree branch off and smacked it in the back of the head while it was distracted by threatening ... Anne. Kind of had to tell her about it too. She's a bit of a (huge) nerd, so I usually try to just get her to help me find out how to deal with monsters, they all have mythological weaknesses that someone has heard of, but she comes along with me on hunts a lot. I think she's more worried about me facing anything alone than she is of the stuff I'm facing, which is kind of touching.

There’s someone who knows that you’re the Chosen one, and wants you dead. Describe them. The MC will give them a name and two Strings on you.
A few weeks ago, I started researching ways an area could be cursed. I wasn't sure, but maybe that was why Tall Pines was in such trouble, had so many monsters, and why in my dreams its always so dark. But almost as soon as I did, things started getting weirder. Classmates started coming out with more strange stories about seeing figures stalking them home that aren't actually there when they look. Pets going missing - including my neighbors cat - weird smokey hand prints on lockers in school, on one student's car. And then I started seeing monsters stalking ME - well, trying to - and one day as I was walking out of the front doors, the big sign with the school name on it fell off, would have hit me if someone hadn't yelled and I got out of the way just in time. When I checked on the roof later, there were those same handprints - and foot prints around where the sign had been. I think... something is trying to stop me figuring out what's wrong with the town. It can't be a coincidence it started at the same time. But whatever it is wants the town dying, and me dead, and I won't let it have either.

Someone knows that you're dead and how you died. They gain 2 Strings on you.
So uh... Wendy is dead. And a ghost. But... something's not right - or not wrong? I've seen a few ghosts now, and they've all been more like shadows, or echos. They look like themselves, but they just hang around one spot, usually where they died, and recreate their traumatic moment. Usually until they manage to kill someone. But Wendy isn't bound to one spot, she hasn't tried to kill anyone yet, and she actually has a personality. Her personality, as far as I can tell. She's kind of hard to notice sometimes, but she can talk, and hold an actual conversation about whatever. She's more like a person than a ghost. I don't know what to make of it. Of her.

GodFish fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jul 8, 2017

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Sara posted:

Did anyone watch you die? If so, you gain 2 Strings on each other.
"Oh, I did! Sorry if I sound a little insensitive, but I have what they might call a 'beef' with Death. Sara and I are in a similar situation, only she was able to remain in her body."

Wendy widens her eyes, then shakes her head. "Let me start over from the beginning. I wanted to go to a bar, seeing as I have to be old enough by now to get past their arbitrary age limit, and I wanted to know more about 'adult' culture. And it turns out I saw a commercial for this band who made their way to The Big Hunt for a concert, and it seemed like the kind of thing that used to be popular thirty years ago, so of course a lot of adults were going to be there. And they were! I sneaked in the usual way--by stepping through a wall--and joined the crowd while the band was taking the stage. I recognized the guitar player, too! It was Sara, and she wasn't 18 but she was amazing. She's so good at the guitar that her first note broke the bar!"

Wendy giggles. "Sorry, it was just really... spectacular. I think I saw her bones glowing out of her skin, like in a cartoon. This is where I would talk about the dangers of technology, but I've honestly seen worse. Of course, she died, which would have been a relief to know that she didn't suffer too long. Suffering is the... worst part of death. But..."

"Death forgot about her too. It's like she was about to be carried away, and then she got dropped back into the town. I don't understand, what did we do to deserve this? What did those punk-rockers say? 'It's better to burn out than fade away'? (Is that punk rock? Most rock goes against my sensibilities anymore.)"

"Anyway, I went to her the next time I saw her and I told her, 'That show at the Hunt was great. You're so metal!' You see, because she's good at rock music, and conducts really well! Wow, I've become very morbid. Anyway, I think she understands that I know. I've tried to reach out to her again, but she's very intimidating even when she's a... well, she's not really a ghost, but I'm sure she's not all living either. Zombie? Heheheh, 'Zom-bay, zom-bay, zom-beh-eh-eh! (I will never understand what happened in the 1990's. All that body paint...)"

Wendy posted:

You've been inside someone's bedroom while they were sleeping. Take a String on them.
"Oh, there's a new girl too... 'New girl' relative to my experience at least. Robin. She moved here for the same reason everyone does, chasing someone else's dream. But I've seen her drawing things around town, which is interesting. Not a lot of people here have talents like that; the town tends to dry up their creativity. But nobody really likes her, and there was one time that she missed a whole week of school, which is more than a minute from my perspective, so I just had to check on her."

"I sneaked into her room one night and there she was, just lying there on her bed. From what I could sense, it seemed sleep was becoming rare for her. She must have been spending her waking time drawing in her sketchbook, I thought. So I took a look at a few of her drawings..."

"This town... sucks. It just sucks everything enjoyable from its people. Robin's drawings were horrifying, and growing stranger with each new page. And when I looked at her, I could see it in her breathing. Three sharp breaths and a shudder, the rhythm of nightmares. This is her life. Plucked out of the city and thrown into a rustic prison founded on hate."

"I'll try to treat her with kindness. It's all I can do."

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 6, 2017

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

quote:

You find someone threatening. Give them a String on you, and take a String on them

fluff pending, it's late so we can sort out which of you nerds wants to make the anxietyqueen even more anxious tomorrow

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Apart from the above, I am going to need GodFish to give me a brief summation of what Susie's nemesis is.

What's happened recently, what do you think might have done it, and why do you think it's after you in particular? The precise nature/name of the threat isn't something you need to go into (I also want to be able to surprise you with part of that) but ballpark it.

I am also working on getting an OP written out, so that it won't take too long after we get the last parts sorted out to get the topic posted.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Okay, should have all my fluff up in that post!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Updated the OP with an NPC list based on everyone mentioned so far!

PS: Also, the topic is up, probably should have opened with that.

• Locked thread