Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Suspicious posted:

I remember reading the Bell Centre and its metro station were built with 0 public funds.

yeah. I'm kind of still sour about Quebec City building an arena and then making a huge deposit to be denied a team, most of which was all public funding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Habibi posted:

Hertl and Meier and Couture.

good luck

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

tofes posted:

good luck

You don't think they'll score 30 between the three of them? drat. Such a pessimist.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Habibi posted:

You don't think they'll score 30 between the three of them? drat. Such a pessimist.

They actually need to score roughly 60 between the 3 of them to make up for Marleau's goals while maintaining their own totals

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I want to be mad at Radulov but if I made literally the same salary in the USA that I do in Canada I'd probably be better off so I can't complain.

I'll leave any political discussion out of it but yeah.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

They actually need to score roughly 60 between the 3 of them to make up for Marleau's goals while maintaining their own totals

Oh ffs

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

stab posted:

That's still two teams (there's more than that but wtv) that have an unfair advantage over the other teams

And montreal is horrible at attracting free agents

Did you see how much they had to pay for alzner

That's because being a hockey player in Montreal and Toronto is basically saying goodbye to privacy. Why do that when you can sign in New York and make tons of money and still be in a great city.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Because you see the guy replacing Marleau will score zero goals.

It's me. I'm the replacement.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

That's because being a hockey player in Montreal and Toronto is basically saying goodbye to privacy. Why do that when you can sign in New York and make tons of money and still be in a great city.

Then why isn't Toronto a hotbed for NBA talent free agents?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

stab posted:

That's still two teams (there's more than that but wtv) that have an unfair advantage over the other teams

And montreal is horrible at attracting free agents

Did you see how much they had to pay for alzner

Here's a thought - Bergevin is a moron and only targets bad UFAs.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Schlesische posted:

Then why isn't Toronto a hotbed for NBA talent free agents?

Americans fear their kids learning the metric system.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

grack posted:

Here's a thought - Bergevin is a moron and only targets bad UFAs.

Yes we know but besides that

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Drunk Canuck posted:

Americans fear their kids learning the metric system.

Also no one cares about the Raptors

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Also no one cares about the Raptors

They consistently sell out, and finished 3rd in attendance, so wrong. The reason has more to do with the fact that Toronto has largely been a terrible team for a lot of their existence, plus I seriously think nobody wants to play for a team called the Raptors. And the metric system thing came from Antonio Davis stating in an interview that he didn't like his kids learning the metric system when he played for the Raptors, and he's probably not alone in that (this is a league where 2 prominent players believe the earth is flat).

Plus, Toronto is a city with a nice night life, but it's a lot colder than places like Calfornia, Florida and Texas.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

They consistently sell out, and finished 3rd in attendance, so wrong. The reason has more to do with the fact that Toronto has largely been a terrible team for a lot of their existence, plus I seriously think nobody wants to play for a team called the Raptors. And the metric system thing came from Antonio Davis stating in an interview that he didn't like his kids learning the metric system when he played for the Raptors, and he's probably not alone in that (this is a league where 2 prominent players believe the earth is flat).

Plus, Toronto is a city with a nice night life, but it's a lot colder than places like Calfornia, Florida and Texas.

They are a distant third in popularity in Toronto by any metric. The Jays and Leafs alternate being the top dog, but the Raptors consistently finish a distant third. They have their loyal supporters no doubt, but they're not even in the same stratosphere as the other teams. They're in the most successful stretch in their history and still really aren't registering with the City. From a 2016 survey the percentage of Torontonains surveyed who closely or somewhat closely follow a particular team were as follows:

Blue Jays 49%
Maple Leafs 43%
Raptors 28%

http://globalnews.ca/news/2626964/toronto-loves-the-blue-jays-but-other-canadians-just-arent-that-into-them/

They're also kinda crappily marketed. Outside of Kyle Lowry and Demar Derozan I couldn't pick a single Raptor's player out of a lineup, and I have only the vaguest knowledge of the other players on the team. They're not really marketing to me, but in a league driven by superstars and personalities that seems like a bad thing to me.

I don't have any ill feelings towards the Raptors, but they just don't make much of an impression in Toronto. They're distinctly the 3rd most important franchise in the city. Couple that with higher taxes, cold weather, low American media attention and it's no wonder free agents aren't signing there despite their recent success.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 4, 2017

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The raptors have lower ratings than the argos.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Rangers rumored to be signing Desharnais to a 1 year deal

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

nba players believe raptors players are taxed approximately 98% of their earnings

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Levitate posted:

Meh, ok, sure why not

Also,

https://twitter.com/nyp_brooksie/status/882319244481802240

lol gently caress off Devils

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Levitate posted:

Zucc gets a tiny friend! :3:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

yellowcar posted:

Zucc gets a tiny friend! :3:

Didn't work out so well with what's his name last year. The lil guy from Carolina.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
DD is great when he's on. Then he goes invisible for 20 games.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Suspicious posted:

DD is great when he's on. Then he goes invisible for 20 games.

in other words, a born ranger

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

the talent deficit posted:

nba players believe raptors players are taxed approximately 98% of their earnings

I don't know how much NBA players get noticed in Toronto or how popular basketball is there but I imagine being a 6 foot 6 (or taller) black man in a country that is like 2% black might also make it just a little bit hard to keep a private life.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Kovalchuk has decided to stay hosed off to Russia.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I take it Kovalchuk just likes attention

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
unfortunately no one wants to offer significant compensation for a 34-year-old with a partially-functioning back

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't know how much NBA players get noticed in Toronto or how popular basketball is there but I imagine being a 6 foot 6 (or taller) black man in a country that is like 2% black might also make it just a little bit hard to keep a private life.

When I was working in a Starbucks during uni Chris Bosh came in with full entourage and a giant diamond-encrusted 'CB' around his neck. After he left my Raptors-fan coworker who'd been to a game a week previously turned to me and said "who was that?"

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

Didn't work out so well with what's his name last year. The lil guy from Carolina.

Aww they got rid of Gerbe? I wanted to see a Zucc - DD - Gerbe line: tiniest line in the NHL.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

yellowcar posted:

Aww they got rid of Gerbe? I wanted to see a Zucc - DD - Gerbe line: tiniest line in the NHL.

I pretty sure he didn't make it out of camp, got assigned to Hartford and then went over to Europe.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

DD is fine if he can play an effective 4th line center

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Toronto has a pretty sizable black community compared to most Canadian cities, the black community represents something like 10% of the city, not counting the suburbs

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 5, 2017

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Toronto has a pretty sizable black compared to most Canadian cities

Do they now.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Levitate posted:

DD is fine if he can play an effective 4th line center

He can't. He needs to be on a scoring line where other players can take up the slack possession wise, leaving him to be the playmaker.
He's really bad on grinding lines because he's almost completely unable to be physical.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I have a feeling DD will be a camp body. Hopefully Boo Nieves beats him out to start the season.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Schlesische posted:

He can't. He needs to be on a scoring line where other players can take up the slack possession wise, leaving him to be the playmaker.
He's really bad on grinding lines because he's almost completely unable to be physical.

Rangers 4th line isn't necessarily a grinding line, but it is expected to generate some offensive pressure and take some hard minutes from time to time. Not sure if DD can do that

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Levitate posted:

Rangers 4th line isn't necessarily a grinding line, but it is expected to generate some offensive pressure and take some hard minutes from time to time. Not sure if DD can do that

If you need someone to take some hard minutes and play against a relatively physical opposition, Davey is not your man. He is the quintessential ad for why GMs don't like small players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Matt Zerella posted:

I have a feeling DD will be a camp body.

that's what I am thinking or maybe just the extra guy on the big club. Really would hope he isn't a regular roster player

• Locked thread