Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hey Whose Mule

by FactsAreUseless
what are you watching?

me? Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

5/5 horseshoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron

by FactsAreUseless

Hey Whose Mule posted:

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

I watched this on a whim with a bunch of drunk friends years ago. Everyone went in expecting to not get it and hate it but it won us over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T2uBeiNXAo

Hey Whose Mule

by FactsAreUseless

Ride The Gravitron posted:

I watched this on a whim with a bunch of drunk friends years ago. Everyone went in expecting to not get it and hate it but it won us over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T2uBeiNXAo

if only your username was 'Ride The Atom Bomb'. mods? rename him that.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

City of Glompton

Hey Whose Mule posted:

what are you watching?

me? Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

5/5 horseshoes

a good movie

I recently rewatched 2001: A Space Odyssey

review: still good

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Hey Whose Mule

by FactsAreUseless

City of Glompton posted:

a good movie

I recently rewatched 2001: A Space Odyssey

review: still good

i saw that in a cinema last weekend and it was a great experience. the soundtrack is great.

just started E.T.: the Extra-Terrestrial, for a movie tonight.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

got stoned n x& out last night and watched Eastern Promises for a second time , great rear end movie

Mariana Horchata

City of Glompton

that reminds me, I also recently watched A Boy and his Dog and it was an ah ha moment: "oh so this is where Fallout 3 got all its inspiration!"

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Kthulhu5000

by R. Guyovich
I just finished watching "Hackers". It's stupid, full stop. Stupid clothing, stupid computer stuff, stupid insufferable "hackers" with their trying too hard cool attitude. It hasn't charmed up with age, not since I first tried to watch it back in the actual 1990s.

Just a grab bag of young, photogenic archetypes with a dash of ethnic diversity spouting out buzzwords while playing KICKING RAD big screen Playstation games in a cyberpunk club complete with skate (or Rollerblade, if you preferred) ramps inside of it.

Don't waste your time with it, not even if you want to see a retro throwback kind of movie to revel in nostalgia and how different poo poo is today.

----------------

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I just finished watching "Hackers". It's stupid, full stop. Stupid clothing, stupid computer stuff, stupid insufferable "hackers" with their trying too hard cool attitude. It hasn't charmed up with age, not since I first tried to watch it back in the actual 1990s.

Just a grab bag of young, photogenic archetypes with a dash of ethnic diversity spouting out buzzwords while playing KICKING RAD big screen Playstation games in a cyberpunk club complete with skate (or Rollerblade, if you preferred) ramps inside of it.

Don't waste your time with it, not even if you want to see a retro throwback kind of movie to revel in nostalgia and how different poo poo is today.

ahhhhh Hackers is SOOOOOO loving bad that it's amazing! My gf has been pestering me about watching it but enduring it once was good enough for me. I mean holy poo poo his name is name is CRASHOVERRIDE and Angelina Jolie's name is ACIDBURN.

Hackers love to hang out in underground clubs, smoke cigars, play pool, and indulge in the hottest new video games on massive screens!! *This is what Hackers actually believe!!!*

It's the voodoo who do what you don't dare to people

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

Twenty Four

City of Glompton posted:

that reminds me, I also recently watched A Boy and his Dog and it was an ah ha moment: "oh so this is where Fallout 3 got all its inspiration!"

I am a sucker for the post apocalypse wasteland setting, such as Mad Max, etc, but yeah, A Boy and His Dog is great. It's not just Fallout 3, but the whole series. I saw it after playing Fallout 1 and 2, despite it being an old 70s movie, but yeah, those games definately pulled a bunch from the movie. Dogmeat.

Hey Whose Mule

by FactsAreUseless
watching the Darjeeling Limited, 'Luftwaffe Automotive', tonight, it's good but i wish i was watching Moonrise Kingdom.

E.T.: 2.5/5 horseshoes, it hasn't held up very well imo. it has a very BYOB feel to it though.

Kthulhu5000

by R. Guyovich

Starman Super DX posted:

ahhhhh Hackers is SOOOOOO loving bad that it's amazing! My gf has been pestering me about watching it but enduring it once was good enough for me. I mean holy poo poo his name is name is CRASHOVERRIDE and Angelina Jolie's name is ACIDBURN.

Hackers love to hang out in underground clubs, smoke cigars, play pool, and indulge in the hottest new video games on massive screens!! *This is what Hackers actually believe!!!*

Tell your GF to watch it by herself, without your presence to mitigate the suckiness of it.

Besides the hackers being way too cool (where are the fedoras, the Hawaiian shirts, the Megadeth tees with holes, the stringy and greasy long hair, THE EXTRA WEIGHT?), the hacking they do is just way, way too unbelievable even from an uninformed layman's perspective. There's nothing for the audience to relate to in the main characters; they're cool, they live in NYC, they have their awesome hangouts and access to amazing hardware resources, and they're basically gods if you give them a keyboard and a modem.

Like, there's the necessity and validity of taking artistic and plot license at times, and then there's being so unreal in every core aspect of a movie that it undermines any suspension of disbelief. The viewer can't believe these characters actually exist in real life, and even if they did, it wouldn't matter, since it's obvious they would never let a bunch of mere cybermortals get close to them.

----------------

Starman Super DX

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Tell your GF to watch it by herself, without your presence to mitigate the suckiness of it.

Besides the hackers being way too cool (where are the fedoras, the Hawaiian shirts, the Megadeth tees with holes, the stringy and greasy long hair, THE EXTRA WEIGHT?), the hacking they do is just way, way too unbelievable even from an uninformed layman's perspective. There's nothing for the audience to relate to in the main characters; they're cool, they live in NYC, they have their awesome hangouts and access to amazing hardware resources, and they're basically gods if you give them a keyboard and a modem.

Like, there's the necessity and validity of taking artistic and plot license at times, and then there's being so unreal in every core aspect of a movie that it undermines any suspension of disbelief. The viewer can't believe these characters actually exist in real life, and even if they did, it wouldn't matter, since it's obvious they would never let a bunch of mere cybermortals get close to them.

Bingo! Bingo! You win the prize! Literally everything that makes Hackers a legitimately terrible movie through and through. This is just evidence of how little respect that Hollywood has for the average movie-goer. This poo poo wouldn't fly today with the access to information that people have, but in those days it was easy for them to poo poo out a movie that says "Hey! Hackers are a new thing that those country bumpkins don't know a thing about!"

Now movies are more accurate, but just bad.

MORE ROMCOMS!!

Tell me more!

Hello Meow
i'm watching g gundam
it's a lot more racist than i remembered :ohdear:

Starman Super DX

Hello Meow posted:

i'm watching g gundam
it's a lot more racist than i remembered :ohdear:

Not a movie, but count how many times Domon has to stop the Neo-Mexico fighter from stabbing people.

Tell me more!

deep dish peat moss

Hey Whose Mule posted:

watching the Darjeeling Limited, 'Luftwaffe Automotive', tonight, it's good but i wish i was watching Moonrise Kingdom.

E.T.: 2.5/5 horseshoes, it hasn't held up very well imo. it has a very BYOB feel to it though.

Darjeeling Limited is my favorite Wes Anderson movie after Life Aquatic

deep dish peat moss

I like the whole Owen Wilson/Jason Schwartzman dynamic and think they play really well off of each other. Despite what other people say I think Owen Wilson is very funny and the framing of the movie and the whole train trip are right up my alley. And the bill murray scene at the beginning is like the icing on the cake

deep dish peat moss

Now that it's on Netflix I'm watching 1997's Spawn for the first time since 1997. What an amazing cast. Michael Jai White before anyone know who he was... John Leguizamo, Martin Sheen, and it was one of the first movies Michael Papajohn was in and that guy is like a ubiquitous bit player in action movies to this day. It got me thinking about how back in 1997 the definition of a "badass action hero" was someone who created wonton destruction and shot giant missiles at everything and blew poo poo up, but I think probably ever since 9/11 it shifted over to someone who does a bunch of ninja flips and takes out the bad guys silently.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

deep dish peat moss posted:

I think you might have accidentally read your Wes Anderson tier list upside down ???

deep dish peat moss

I liked him a lot more when he was irreverent and wasn't trying to create something meaningful. I think he worked a lot better with the loose narrative structure that he used in Bottle Rocket, Darjeeling Limited, Life Aquatic, Rushmore... etc than he does when he's trying to create a more serious narrative piece like Grand Budapest Hotel or Moonrise Kingdom or even Fantastic Mr. Fox. The characters were a lot more colorful and honest and didn't feel overacted like they do in the more recent pieces and, I guess this one is purely personal but the worlds he created in his earlier works were a lot more interesting to me than in later films but I'm just not a fan of historical pieces.

I think you're right though, it wasn't upside down but I forgot about his best movie, Royal Tenenbaums.

deep dish peat moss

It was like he used to have no real respect for the audience and that let him write the characters he wanted and make them likeably unlikable, but ever since Fantastic Mr. Fox it feels like he has been pandering to his audience and making the movies they want instead of the movies he wants. I don't know if that's true or if the man himself would agree but that's how it feels to me, a viewer.

Historical Wizards

I watched the first hour and fifty minutes of Okja, there was about ten minutes of good movie in that time. It just tricked me into thinking it might get better, and it never did.

Many thanks Social Vegan for the wonderful av, and Fanky Malloons for the sig

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

It was like he used to have no real respect for the audience and that let him write the characters he wanted and make them likeably unlikable, but ever since Fantastic Mr. Fox it feels like he has been pandering to his audience and making the movies they want instead of the movies he wants. I don't know if that's true or if the man himself would agree but that's how it feels to me, a viewer.

There's definitely been some style & thematic shifts since his Owen Wilson days but I don't think he's pandering necessarily. I generally prefer the 'feel' of his older works more but I still love his latest outputs.totally get if you feel less entranced by the world building & such in his latest works.

I think Rushmore is his best film, it's really good

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Somehow convincing myself the sly cooper movie won't suck

Starman Super DX

I just wanted to point out that apparently Owen Wilson is a kind of a douche to work with. Supposedly he showed up to film his set for an episode of Community and was a big pissant about it, despite only having to do a literal less than 20 second cameo. Meanwhile Jack Black was a delight, of course.

Tell me more!

Shooting Blanks

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I have never watched the Godfather trilogy. Someone convince me to do this.

Hey Whose Mule

by FactsAreUseless

3/5 horseshoes. seen it a few times and it gets worse each time. if i'd only seen it once, i'd rate it higher. whereas Moonrise Kingdom and The Grand Budapest Hotel, have seen multiple times and enjoyed them more & more each view.

should i watch Seabiscuit tomorrow? never seen it.

----------------

Piso Mojado

The movie Hackers ruled and the soundtrack especially owned. Im a young and hot hacker irl and its pretty spot on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piso Mojado

"Terrible movie - Do not watch! Basically its a lot of photogenic ww2 stereotypes that are completely over the top. Hard to beleive that they had to sneak a guy in to blow up a bridge when you know now that the air force could just send a drone with a smart bomb to take care of it. Ugh. Really disliked he negative portrayal of Japanese as well and the fact that it wasnt animated by Ghibli Studios "

- byob movie thread review of Bridge Over River Kwai

• Locked thread