Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
Kyle Kinane owns. I saw him live a few years ago, and his opening line was "you might recognize me from my TED Talk: 'The Monster Mash: A Great Song Regardless Of Season'". He's got a very Hannibal Buress-style attitude, so if you like Hannibal you should really check his stuff out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx-lPbrywBQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I just watched a couple episodes of Stand Ups on Netflix. I forgot how funny Nate Bargatze is.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld7LBX-U9Fg&t=218s

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

ghost emoji posted:

Kyle Kinane owns. I saw him live a few years ago, and his opening line was "you might recognize me from my TED Talk: 'The Monster Mash: A Great Song Regardless Of Season'". He's got a very Hannibal Buress-style attitude, so if you like Hannibal you should really check his stuff out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx-lPbrywBQ

Favorite Kinane joke "A burrito is just a taco that got cold."

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
Amy Schumer

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Bo Burnham's what. special from a few years ago is the only stand-up special I've watched more than once with any sort of enthusiasm. His style definitely apes the Steve Martin meta-comedy that I find very refreshing after seeing so much conventional stand-up.

Sarah Silverman's new Netflix special has a gentle sincerity to its obscenity that I think is lacking from most comics who peddle in particularly baudy humor. I find it very humanizing.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I want to thank this thread for introducing me to Stewart Lee. He's great.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Riatsala posted:

Sarah Silverman's new Netflix special has a gentle sincerity to its obscenity that I think is lacking from most comics who peddle in particularly baudy humor. I find it very humanizing.

I just finished watching that one, and I think it's wonderful. Thanks for the suggestion.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Noel Fielding has said that standup is like having a long panic attack. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi81vbwbhmI

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Giga Pet giveaway posted:

I really love Joe Mande. His bit about going to a taping of a talk show baked is legit amazing. Also Mike Birbiglia's specials are always hilarious and he's pretty good at making audience interaction not drag forever. Seconding Neal Brennan, that special was so good and really interesting. Chris Gethard's special 'Career Suicide' is similar and sad-dope. Comedy roolz.

Joe is great! I've seen his set like 3 times and am still excited about his special. My bro was a year ahead of him in high school and were super into comedy together. Actually, that same brother is the guy who gets called out for being late in Mike Birbiglia's latest special.

To the guy who asked to turn Mulaney off, why? I'm genuinely interested as his set, Comeback Kid, is one of the most perfect standup routines I've ever listened to.

Riatsala posted:

Bo Burnham's what. special from a few years ago is the only stand-up special I've watched more than once with any sort of enthusiasm. His style definitely apes the Steve Martin meta-comedy that I find very refreshing after seeing so much conventional stand-up.

I had a buddy who was super into Bo. He killed himself 2 years ago, actually its anniversary is tomorrow, and never got to see what. It made me so sad because it's such a good set and I wish he could've been by my side. Very much worth checking out!

Boywhiz88 has a new favorite as of 12:57 on Jul 18, 2017

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer
probably Bo's fault

Giga Pet giveaway
Jun 28, 2008

You're Not Welcome?

Boywhiz88 posted:

Joe is great! I've seen his set like 3 times and am still excited about his special. My bro was a year ahead of him in high school and were super into comedy together. Actually, that same brother is the guy who gets called out for being late in Mike Birbiglia's latest special.

That's hilarious! Did you watch Joe's netflix thing? I didn't love the framing device but that set still kills and he gave a great shout out to Seattle for being pussies about a chunk. :woop:

Also I'm sorry about your buddy, this is quite a bit after your initial comment but I hope that anniversary went as well as it could have for you and you're doin' alright.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I had a casette tape of Eddie Murphy:Delirious in the 80s. It was the funniest thing I had ever heard in my life.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

ghost emoji posted:

The new Norm Macdonald special on Netflix is pretty good. The part about Lee Majors' contract was so funny-sad.

Norm MacDonald is the best comedian and I will fight anyone who disagrees.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Boywhiz88 posted:

To the guy who asked to turn Mulaney off, why? I'm genuinely interested as his set, Comeback Kid, is one of the most perfect standup routines I've ever listened to.

I can't even remember what bit it was tbh but I loathed the person showing it to me which probably didn't help. I looked him up on youtube and saw his bit about Back to the Future which was okay I guess.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Frankie Boyle, kind of an irreverent sense of humour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX1jMmfG2Xk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWMyjQ4yxsE

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I had a casette tape of Eddie Murphy:Delirious in the 80s. It was the funniest thing I had ever heard in my life.

ITs very problematic to listen to today tho

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Bill Burr is my favorite at the moment and I really like Anthony Jeselnik but I can't tell anyone or I'd be labeled as a sociopath.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Reggie Watts is my favorite, but a lot of his new stuff sucks outie belly buttons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e9l8Usa_pE

"They say reality is an illusion, but the reality we're in... feels pretty real. So, good job to the people who are in charge of that."

Drunk Nerds has a new favorite as of 03:11 on Aug 1, 2017

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I used to like Anthony Jeselnik but lately I feel like he's more interested in crossing the line than being funny.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

om nom nom posted:

I used to like Anthony Jeselnik but lately I feel like he's more interested in crossing the line than being funny.

This is why I went off Frankie Boyle originally, all transgressive comedians seem to trend towards sacrificing comedy for audacity and it's a shame.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Doug Stanhope is still the best.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Say Nothing posted:

Frankie Boyle, kind of an irreverent sense of humour.

Frankie Boyle just makes jokes as vulgar as possible without any content, he's pretty poo poo imo

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I feel like he started off reasonably good then just made jokes that were as nasty as possible and now he's starting to be funny again but mainly seems to write for The Guardian. It's a very established trajectory for vulgar UK comedians I'll have you know!

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

We Know Catheters posted:

Doug Stanhope is still the best.

I could never give him a fair shake after he and the other guy took over The Man Show.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

JERRy seinfeld has still got it

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

oldpainless posted:

JERRy seinfeld has still got it

More like oldmovingonfromoldcomediansless

TemporalFugue
Jul 9, 2008
Demetri Martin's Netflix special is pretty funny.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

This is why I went off Frankie Boyle originally, all transgressive comedians seem to trend towards sacrificing comedy for audacity and it's a shame.
It's because the ones that don't don't get remembered as transgressive comedians. They're just comedians. Look at Sarah Silverman, for instance.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Same with Jim Jeffries. Hell, he's got his own news/variety show now.

Him
Oct 9, 2015
I've been around a long time. I'm talking "seeing George Carlin on The Ed Sullivan Show" old. I've seen a lot of comedians and over time I've found the more intelligent the comedians, the better. The last few years the one comedian that has never failed me is Stewart Lee. Find him on YouTube.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
This guy is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6az6J38--I

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

LargeHadron posted:

I want to thank this thread for introducing me to Stewart Lee. He's great.

Stewart Lee is by far the best comedian I've ever seen.

^^Looks like Morrissey let himself go

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

His story about being in Colombia for 9/11 is incredible

Also "I love Catholicism. It's my favourite form of global clandestine evil" is a great line.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If you weren't a teenage boy in the early 200's who didn't have Adam Sandler CDs then who were you. I'd drink a battery acid coolada before I'd listen to one of them now but goddamn. Hot water burn baby! They're all gonna laugh at you!

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Atmus posted:

I could never give him a fair shake after he and the other guy took over The Man Show.

I didn't like him or "the other guy" on The Man Show, but both of them are great standup comics. Among my favorites.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If you weren't a teenage boy in the early 200's who didn't have Adam Sandler CDs then who were you. I'd drink a battery acid coolada before I'd listen to one of them now but goddamn. Hot water burn baby! They're all gonna laugh at you!

gently caress me in the goat rear end!

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Clamknuckle posted:

gently caress me in the goat rear end!

I'm pretty sure I literally peed my pants when I listened to the goat in 6th grade, at least laughed so hard I couldn't breathe for the entire 7 minutes. I tried to listen to it again at some point in the last couple of years and turned it off after a couple of minutes and decided to leave the nostalgic funny in tact.

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
Ricky Gervais is responsible for my favorite stand-up bit of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb2DyHRu-bY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Sean Lock is pretty funny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaTliRh40ic

Micky Flanagan got some fun stuff