Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

i keep reading this as "Project ARSE"

Antivehicular posted:

4. (Optional) A snazzy name for the thread

There's no I in ARISE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Antivehicular posted:

Shining Star, the Beacon
With you in Halcyon City, who's going to look after Scraptown in your absence, and what about them worries you?

With me gone, the one looking after Scraptown now is the old sheriff, Simon Rockwell.

Sheriff Rockwell is... well, he's a decent guy, but a lousy sheriff. Back when the Blood Ravens ruled over the town, he just... let them walk all over him, and let them do whatever they want. He was too scared to do anything. Ain't it a sheriff's job to uphold the law and protect the people?

He assured me before I left that he ain't the man he used to be, and he's going to try his hardest to look after the people now, but... yea, I dunno. Even if he finally did decide to grow a spine, he still ain't much of a fighter, but who knows. Maybe I'm worrying too much about this.

quote:

Where did the last report of Smilin' Jack and the Blood Ravens you heard come from?

There's rumors floating around that the Blood Ravens are trying to form an alliance with another gang. Thing is... nobody knows who that gang is. Word is, this gang's got some serious firepower behind 'em, and they've apparently got a serious super-powered badass leading 'em. That's all anybody knows about 'em. Whoever they are, they're a complete mystery.

That's not all. From what I've gathered, something's about to go down. Something big. I don't know what, but it's big enough to make the folks around here nervous.

I'll stop them. I'll find out about what they're planning, and I'll stop 'em before they hurt anymore people! I'm not sure how, yet, but I'll find a way, somehow! And this time, I'm going to make sure that Smilin' Jack is going to be brought to justice!

quote:

What have you been buying in the city to send back to Scraptown, and for whom?

Remember the little girl I briefly mentioned earlier? Lily? She's uh, she's kinda my biggest fan, heh. I saved her life after a real bastard who goes by the name Mad Dog took her hostage, and now she really looks up to me. She keeps telling everybody about how cool I am, and how I'm like, a "super badass," and how much she wants to be like me when she grows up, heh.

Lily really likes reading. The thing is, Scraptown doesn't have much in the way of books, so I've been buying and sendin' her a bunch of books I think she'd like. I ain't much of a reader, so I just go by what other people recommend to me.

Lily's a sweet kid, and I guess... I guess I ain't used to being idolized by somebody. She thinks the world of me, and if ya ever ask her who her favorite her is, she'll say it's me, every single time.

...I never want to dissapoint her. I'm going to work hard to be the best drat hero I could be, for her sake, and for everybody else in Scraptown, too.

quote:

Of all the weird superpowers you've seen here, which one makes you the most jealous?

His name is Felix Black, and his powers is... summoning cats.

I'm not making this up.

And I ain't talking like, normal cats. He can summon giant cats, tiny cats, talking cats, robot cats, space cats- you get the idea, and everywhere he goes, he's followed by a whole herd of cats.

I don't get why he's so grumpy all the time. Being able to summon a whole army of cats whenever ya want sounds friggin' sweet!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Okay, so, after a long-extended recruit and an excruciating winnowing process (seriously, this was bad, if I could have run for all the players I would have), here are the picks:

Hemlock, the Reformed, played by Tricky
Hamelin, the Janus, played by Successful Businessmanga
Omen, the Doomed, played by LifeGetsWorser
Jove, the Delinquent, played by Scrree
Chase, the Innocent, played by Toph Bei Fong
Big Destiny, the Bull, played by kellsterik

Please sort out your Relationships and "When Our Team First Came Together..." questions. (Let's do Bull -> Reformed -> Innocent -> Janus -> Delinquent -> Doomed as the broad order here, although timing can be flexible.) Additionally, if any of you want to be roommates in the Project ARISE dormitories, now would be a good time to hash that out! (Don't room with Hamelin. I hear it's full of fleas.)

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

First Mission

When we first came together... posted:

We fought a terrible enemy from my old life. Who was it and what did they take from me?

Dream Dinosaur was a big problem. I'd seen the like out in the Wastes, but this one was nastier than usual. Way nastier. Of course, something like that doesn't just wander into the outskirts of Halcyon on its own. I guess it shouldn't have surprised me when Yellowjacket was on the scene pulling the strings. I know that she's tight with my dad now and his new heir apparent, but... Well, I'd always held a little bit of hope that Tegan's stories weren't true. That he wasn't gearing up to attack Halcyon with his new army of monsters... and now he's got literal monsters too, I guess.

She didn't stick around long. Just enough to talk some trash, trade a few punches, and then leave all cryptic-like. Part of me wanted to take off after her and stop her, no matter what, but I couldn't just leave Big Destiny and the rest of the trainees to fight off that overgrown nightmare thing.

My Relationships

quote:

I’ve earned the trust of Chase, and I follow their example of what a hero should be.

Right, I get that he was hurled from the past and apparently also grew up to be some sort of war criminal. poo poo happens, right? It's not like this Lord Ether character was operating in my neck of the woods. Or like I necessarily knew who he was at all. If you're looking for someone to judge someone else, you're kinda in the wrong place. Hell, this Chase hasn't even done anything wrong!

So, yeah, one of the instructors was giving him a little guff while we were all getting settled. I put a stop to that with the quickness. It's amazing how two-faced some of these hero-types are, you know? You just point out what they're actually doing and people finally notice. And, uh, sometimes get really mad about it. Well, in the end, we both ended up getting an extra set of chores for the first week. Whoops. Still, I think it was worth it. Chase is a good guy and it means a lot that he trusts me.

He gives me a lot of advice, too! Most of it is about kissing people, for whatever reason, but I'm sure he knows what he's talking about. He's a hero, after all!

quote:

I did something terrible to Hamelin once. I hope they can forgive me one day.

Here's the deal: I get that bugs are Hamelin's thing, in theory, but out in the wastes? They aren't your friend. Not even close. Half of the creepy-crawlies are insane bio-weapons from the war and the other half are aiming to gorge on your supplies. So, uh, I may have overreacted a bit when I was grabbing a snack and I ran into a bunch of critters grabbing a snack of their own.

I'd come up with a pretty mild mix of poison back at the Gulch. The kind of thing that destroys bugs, but doesn't bother people. That found its way into the ventilation system. So... yeah. I think I caused a few kinds of bugs to go totally extinct... My bad. I felt really, really awful when I saw the look on Hamelin's face — the bits that the mask doesn't cover, anyway — the next day. What can you even do with something like that? For all I know she's dialed into her insects' senses and felt them all dying.

I figure it's not the kind of thing that just goes away with an apology. I'll have to make it up to her... somehow...

Other Relationships

Taken:

Big Destiny posted:

Hemlock is your love. You’ve opened up to them about the worst parts of your past.

Jove posted:

You keep trying to impress Hemlock with your antics.

Influence

quote:

Do you talk openly about your days as a villain? If so, give each team member Influence over you.

Influence (and stories about the Gulch) for all!

Tricky fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 22, 2017

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Big Destiny

First Mission posted:

When our team first came together, we defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?

Back in Four Heroes, the sentinels perched on the roller coaster used to pick off these little things called nightmare beasts from 500 yards. They're like little psychic lizards that mess with your mind when you get close to 'em. I guess they're a mutated strain of some old Seionite wildlife they (we?) dumped on Earth. So when a kaiju-lookin' crystal lizard started stomping toward the city walls and roaring and making people hallucinate, I basically knew what we were dealing with. Except I blanked on the name and blurted out "Dream Dinosaur" instead! The whole comic-booky alliteration naming scheme stuck. Luther said the bad guys feel less threatening that way. I went big so I could wrassle the thing, but, y'know, it's probably good that the others were there too. They're the reason we 'saved the day' instead of 'making a huge mess of Halcyon City.' And some of those waking-dream hallucinations can get kind of intense without a friend to pull you back.

Love posted:

Hemlock is your love. You’ve opened up to them about the worst parts of your past.

Things have been getting tense living with Luther- I knew they would, that's just how it is with me- so I moved into the Project ARISE dorms. Hemlock's my roommate! I was a little nervous around him at first; raiders are a big problem back in ex-Texas, and I can't ward off poison by going big. But the danger is actually kinda...exciting? And his costume is really cute, even though it's dorky.

It turns out you can get to know somebody really well by talking in those crappy dorms late at night after curfew. We talked about our parents, and why they scare us, and how weird and empty it feels not getting to know your mom. We make a good team and I don't wanna mess things up, but not telling him how I feel makes my heart hurt.

Rival posted:

Jove is your rival. They tried to control you at a crucial moment.

She and me have been like two magnets pointed the wrong way since the first time I said near her that I was "half-Seionite." How can I 'betray what we fought for' by 'pretending to have it both ways?' Bringing our worlds together is what my parents fought for! Why doesn't she get that?

Thinking about myself as an alien superhero from this faraway planet is what inspired me to leave my family and come to Halcyon City. Now I actually meet somebody who's part of that world, and she just shoves me away. Worse than that, she makes me feel like a fraud! I thought I knew who I was and I didn't care what people say, but whenever she snipes at me, I feel like I've been living a stupid fantasy and my mom was an idiot for thinking there could ever be peace and I should just give up and admit I'm a loser and I don't belong here...ugh, I'm getting in that bad headspace just thinking about her. She pushes the exact same buttons that my family did.

But the difference between Jove and my family is that we're on the same playing field! I'll outshine her until everyone sees that I'm everything I say I am!

---

Hemlock and Jove have Influence over me!

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 19, 2017

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

First Mission

quote:

We totally broke some major rules to win the fight. What rules did we break? Whose rules were they?

If there's one thing people have realized ever since the end of the war, and the final account for massive loss it caused to all of us. It's that in an age of recovery, you can't always be picky about who you end up working with.

But god if some of them aren't complete assholes.

For example,

Harrison 'Harry' Dipper, Oil Baron, President of Dipper & Deeper Energy, and general shitstain.

Yes, the DDE's oil has turned the lights back on for Halcyon city, but it's also let Dipper become the interminable tumor on he is. He can say or do -- or fund! -- whatever he wants without facing repercussion because if he goes, so goes half the power in the city. And what he wants is... basically the worst things possible. Think of any problem a society faces, now imagine the worst possible outcome; most of the time that'd be the side Dipper throws his weight behind. He has been especially, especially vocal in decrying how totally The Crash has integrated into greater Halcyon City. Those Militia in Union bastards wouldn't be around if it wasn't for his 'generous donations' to their cause.

For a long time I thought he was just another one of the Earth Firster assholes, but Kapro explained it to me. Dipper hates us because we don't need him; the Crash doesn't use oil. All of the electricity on the ship comes from space-grade solar panels made on Seio. We can't make any more, of course, but with proper maintenance they should last at least a century. We're the only group in Halcyon City that doesn't need Dipper's oil to function, and he despises us for it.

Okay, okay, I kind of got away from the question. I was just trying to explain why, when I noticed that I had the opportunity too, I might've led the Dream Dinosaur directly into the construction site where Dipper's new mansion was being built.

There was a lot of property damage.

"The creature was causing me to hallucinate." I explained in the incident report, "I thought I was leading it towards a giant toilet." Project ARISE let the incident pass by unpunished. The construction site was one of the better places to lead the creature; the workers had evacuated when they heard the sounds of battle, so there was no risk of anyone getting hurt. (Well, other than us, who had the fight the damned thing off.)

Unfortunately, the owner of the property has not been so understanding. Dipper's #1 rule is 'Don't **** with Dipper's stuff', and he's been on a warpath about the irresponsible vandals Project ARISE is "wasting the people's taxes on!"

Honestly, it's kind of blowing up bigger than I even imagined it...

Oh! Some of my friends at The Crash have told me that before the Seionite Fleet arrived and "cut down the population" (more like killed a lot of people, we don't need to sugarcoat their poo poo), Earth was headed towards an environmental catastrophic thanks to their tradition of burning fossil fuels. Dipper and other's of his ilk have apparently been trying to keep this information from the public.

I don't believe it. What he does openly already makes him enough of an rear end in a top hat; there's no reason to invent conspiracy theories that make him sound like some kind of insane supervillain.

Relationships

quote:

You keep trying to impress Hemlock with your antics.

Sometimes, I think Hemlock is from another planet.

During the war I spent most of my life on an Ark-Ship, and after the war I still lived on an Ark-Ship, it just happened to be parked in Halcyon. I'm a... shippy-girl-- No. gently caress. Forget that!

I'm a city girl, and Hemlock is definitely not a city boy. Half of the things that come out of his mouth don't make any sense at all -- where is The Gulch, what the hell is a Finch? -- but that's kind of, I don't know, refreshing? I've never heard him once complain about the state of Earth, or blame the Seionites for turning it into what it is now. He's living in the present, focused on the future, and just so different from all of the boys back at The Crash.

I guess I want to show him that I'm looking ahead, too. But, with action. Words are cheap, easy, and I'm not great with them anyway.

quote:

You and Hamelin pulled an awesome (if illegal) stunt together.

To make a long story short; Hamelin was looking pretty sad one day -- 'Another species going extinct...', or something like that -- and we ended up chatting. She explained that there was a special kind of insect, artificially designed by the scientists on Seio, that fed on decaying Photonic Material from Seionite spacecraft. Their food supply was running out, and the only way to get more would be to undertake the outrageously illegal act of breaking into Ark-Ship's engine room.

Well,

Look, it wasn't actually that risky. I'm a local, nobody would suspect me of stealing from The Crash, and it's not like taking the Photonic Material is actually a big deal anyways. Yes, it can be refined into some pretty nasty stuff, but we just need to feed some bugs! Anyways, all we had to do was walk in, cut through a few locked doors, 'manually deactivate' an old security drone, and then haul out a 50kg brick of Photonic Material (wrapped in as many blankets as we could gather, to snuff out the glow) into the car we borrowed.

Simple.

Okay; actually a huge pain in the rear end, buuuut I still think it was worth it. The bugs were a symbol of... look, sometimes the elders talk about how the days before the War. Seio was prosperous and innovative; we were expanding in every direction at once. Then we discovered we had to escape, and to escape we had to fight, and everything became focused. Nothing outside of furthering the war effort was justifiable, and so a lot of practices just stopped and rotted.

Those cleaning bugs are the high-water mark of Seionite Bio-engineering. I'm not the sentimental type, but that's something worth preserving, right? And Hamelin seemed psyched, even if the glowing brick in her room makes it hard to sleep at night.

...Last time I was home, Kapro asked if being in Project Arise had "sparked a newfound love in Seionite engine design.."; the fucker.

Influence

quote:

You care way more than you let on. Give three teammates Influence over you

Hemlock
Hamelin

For the reasons I mentioned above.

Now, Chase is pretty fun to talk too just because he knows so little about literally everything, haha, and Big D is definitely something else, but

You can't go through an experience like what me and Omen had in that 'Pyschoreactive chamber' without bonding a little. Sometimes, I see that ugly, awful star's light in my dreams. I'm worried for her.

Scrree fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 22, 2017

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Oh, hey, here's an Influence sheet. Feel free to change your colors and whatnot, those are just placeholders.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

When the team first came together We saved the life of someone important, either to the city or to us. Who was it? Why are they important?

Hamelin's part in the actual fighting was relatively restrained, she hung back bleeding off kinetic energy from collisions between Big Destiny, Dream Dinosaur, and the city walls, so as to stop any potential breech. It wasn't until Hemlock caught wind of Yellowjacket that Hamelin had any real impact. Despite having been raised entirely in the city, Hamelin is at home in the wastes, irradiated mutant bugs are a dime a dozen out there, so she was able to help handily fend off Yellowjacket.

It wouldn't become apparent until after the battle resolved, but during the debrief the cleanup crews found a high-tech containment coffin burird halfway into the ground. The massive unit had been knocked around in Yellowjacket's fighting retreat, the already under maintained anti-grav units slamming it home instead of handily following the Villain's retreat.

After confirming it wasn't a trap, the coffin was opened revealing-

Priscilla Stanton

-the Mayor of Halcyon City! It took a while for her to recover from the kidnapping attempt, but within the week the token congratulatory "Thanks to our new heroes!" statements were being spread through the city, hesitantly however in light of how close to being taken she'd been.

Relationships:

quote:

Big Destiny knew me from my civilian life first.

It turns out when you're looking for clues into things that have happened in the past, a library is a drat fine place to start. Evelyn only spotted what Salvador was researching out of the corner of her eye, but it was intriguing enough that she took a break from her own self-study to help out. Soon enough every other week they were meeting up at the library and hitting the stacks to find out about his past.

When Project ARISE called and she answered, it was more than a little surprising to see her study buddy hanging around, but she maintained character. It wasn't until after a day of particularly hard physical drills that she mistakenly dropped the clue on Big Destiny that broke her cover. All it took was just a simple huffing and puffing accidental reference to things they'd talked about in private during a study session to cause it to click.

quote:

I refused to tell Chase my secret identity when they asked.

Evelyn is under quite a bit of pressure given her multiple lives. Full time work, a heavy course load, and a secret life fighting crime? Well those kinds of things add up over time. She'd simple dropped by ARISE HQ to pick some things up from her specimen storage unit assigned dorm room and to have a quick bite to eat, but folks always love being so social. The cafeteria isn't exactly the largest place in the world and so she found herself holed up at a table with several other recruits. Conversation was relatively light and flowing well until Chase brought up the question of why she was in full costume at all times. Normally Evelyn is happy to deflect or to give a simple explanation about protecting her family's identities, but the stress of work and school bubbled to the surface and you could only call the resulting outburst a tantrum.

Thoroughly embarrassed by her own cracks showing and having made a scene in front of a group of her peers, Evelyn darted out from the cafeteria, gathered her things and then was absent from training exercises for the better part of two weeks as she threw herself back into the calming influence of her mundane life. Chase has influence on Hamelin

Influence:
You look up to your teammates; they seem to have this superhero thing figured out.

"Have you ever seen Omen actually cut loose before? It's a sight to behold, God drat! I know we're supposed to lighten the load for her and I fully aim to do so whenever I can, but jeez she can pack a punch!" Omen has influence on Hamelin

"Big Destiny is a good egg. It's been a bit since he sorted out who I am on the street, but thankfully it seems the trust I put in him to keep that little secret a secret has paid off. I hope he doesn't give me reason to think otherwise, but for now I can trust him; it doesn't hurt that the big guy has saved us from a few scraps in training that could have gone terribly wrong." Big Destiny has Influence on Hamelin.

"Jove may have talked me into doing some less than savoury things recently, but the biggest thing yet was a heist. I may have sort of ripped my helmet off when we finally got the goods back to my room, so uh... hopefully she can keep a secret. She didn't seem to care too much either way." Jove has influence on Hamelin and knows her identity.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 22, 2017

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna slap all the answers to the team up questions here, so that people don't have to scroll up and down to read it in order.

Big Destiny posted:

When our team first came together, we defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?

Back in Four Heroes, the sentinels perched on the roller coaster used to pick off these little things called nightmare beasts from 500 yards. They're like little psychic lizards that mess with your mind when you get close to 'em. I guess they're a mutated strain of some old Seionite wildlife they (we?) dumped on Earth. So when a kaiju-lookin' crystal lizard started stomping toward the city walls and roaring and making people hallucinate, I basically knew what we were dealing with. Except I blanked on the name and blurted out "Dream Dinosaur" instead! The whole comic-booky alliteration naming scheme stuck. Luther said the bad guys feel less threatening that way. I went big so I could wrassle the thing, but, y'know, it's probably good that the others were there too. They're the reason we 'saved the day' instead of 'making a huge mess of Halcyon City.' And some of those waking-dream hallucinations can get kind of intense without a friend to pull you back.

Hemlock posted:

We fought a terrible enemy from my old life. Who was it and what did they take from me?

Dream Dinosaur was a big problem. I'd seen the like out in the Wastes, but this one was nastier than usual. Way nastier. Of course, something like that doesn't just wander into the outskirts of Halcyon on its own. I guess it shouldn't have surprised me when Yellowjacket was on the scene pulling the strings. I know that she's tight with my dad now and his new heir apparent, but... Well, I'd always held a little bit of hope that Tegan's stories weren't true. That he wasn't gearing up to attack Halcyon with his new army of monsters... and now he's got literal monsters too, I guess.

She didn't stick around long. Just enough to talk some trash, trade a few punches, and then leave all cryptic-like. Part of me wanted to take off after her and stop her, no matter what, but I couldn't just leave Big Destiny and the rest of the trainees to fight off that overgrown nightmare thing!

Chase posted:

My future self was involved, and I tried to stop them. It took the rest of the team to help me succeed. How did we stymie my future self ’s plans?

The Dream Dinosaur operates on a logic that is somewhat sideways to the way we normally think of things. Okay, this is going to get a little weird, and I'm super simplifying it, so, bear with me for a moment. There are, or, anyways, there were, two big ways of thinking about the world, the Rationalists, who thought that the world could be derived from logical principles regardless of whatever sensory data we were being given at any particular moment, and the Empiricists, who only trusted the sense data they could see, feel, taste, smell, etc, and used those observations over time to make observations about the world and what was going on in it. It goes way back to Descartes and Locke and all that isn't super important. 

But neither of them have a satisfactory answer for dreams, nor a proof that we aren't dreaming right now. This is, in a broad sense, the problem of induction -- how we can know one thing caused another. If you're dreaming, logic doesn't always work: one plus one can equal three just fine. And in dreams, nothing really has to follow from one thing to another, and trying to pin down concrete observations (I was thirsty, I drank water, I am no longer thirsty, ergo, water helps cure thirst) via repeated tests doesn't really work either (I was thirsty, I drove a car to the moon, I opened a bottle of water and a butterfly came out and told me a secret about the King of the Universe, I am no longer thirsty, ergo...?).

Making matters worse, Lord Ether seems to move at such a speed that things like causality and logic don't seem to apply. So, we were all dreaming that he was there, stealing Dr. Harrison's prototype for the Windt Engine, or was it actually him, somehow escaped from the Cloud 9? Or maybe one of his loyal followers, simply in costume? Regardless, he was stronger than me. Unquestionably a better swordsman. Faster, larger, better. 

But also alone. I'm not.

He got away, but the prototype stayed where it belonged. We did good!

So why am I afraid to tell everyone about the handwritten book he left on my bedside table? 

Hamelin posted:

When the team first came together We saved the life of someone important, either to the city or to us. Who was it? Why are they important?

Hamelin's part in the actual fighting was relatively restrained, she hung back bleeding off kinetic energy from collisions between Big Destiny, Dream Dinosaur, and the city walls, so as to stop any potential breech. It wasn't until Hemlock caught wind of Yellowjacket that Hamelin had any real impact. Despite having been raised entirely in the city, Hamelin is at home in the wastes, irradiated mutant bugs are a dime a dozen out there, so she was able to help handily fend off Yellowjacket.

It wouldn't become apparent until after the battle resolved, but during the debrief the cleanup crews found a high-tech containment coffin burird halfway into the ground. The massive unit had been knocked around in Yellowjacket's fighting retreat, the already under maintained anti-grav units slamming it home instead of handily following the Villain's retreat.

After confirming it wasn't a trap, the coffin was opened revealing-

Priscilla Stanton

-the Mayor of Halcyon City! It took a while for her to recover from the kidnapping attempt, but within the week the token congratulatory "Thanks to our new heroes!" statements were being spread through the city, hesitantly however in light of how close to being taken she'd been.

Jove posted:

We totally broke some major rules to win the fight. What rules did we break? Whose rules were they?

If there's one thing people have realized ever since the end of the war, and the final account for massive loss it caused to all of us. It's that in an age of recovery, you can't always be picky about who you end up working with.

But god if some of them aren't complete assholes.

For example,

Harrison 'Harry' Dipper, Oil Baron, President of Dipper & Deeper Energy, and general shitstain.

Yes, the DDE's oil has turned the lights back on for Halcyon city, but it's also let Dipper become the interminable tumor on he is. He can say or do -- or fund! -- whatever he wants without facing repercussion because if he goes, so goes half the power in the city. And what he wants is... basically the worst things possible. Think of any problem a society faces, now imagine the worst possible outcome; most of the time that'd be the side Dipper throws his weight behind. He has been especially, especially vocal in decrying how totally The Crash has integrated into greater Halcyon City. Those Militia in Union bastards wouldn't be around if it wasn't for his 'generous donations' to their cause.

For a long time I thought he was just another one of the Earth Firster assholes, but Kapro explained it to me. Dipper hates us because we don't need him; the Crash doesn't use oil. All of the electricity on the ship comes from space-grade solar panels made on Seio. We can't make any more, of course, but with proper maintenance they should last at least a century. We're the only group in Halcyon City that doesn't need Dipper's oil to function, and he despises us for it.

Okay, okay, I kind of got away from the question. I was just trying to explain why, when I noticed that I had the opportunity too, I might've led the Dream Dinosaur directly into the construction site where Dipper's new mansion was being built.

There was a lot of property damage.

"The creature was causing me to hallucinate." I explained in the incident report, "I thought I was leading it towards a giant toilet." Project ARISE let the incident pass by unpunished. The construction site was one of the better places to lead the creature; the workers had evacuated when they heard the sounds of battle, so there was no risk of anyone getting hurt. (Well, other than us, who had the fight the damned thing off.)

Unfortunately, the owner of the property has not been so understanding. Dipper's #1 rule is 'Don't **** with Dipper's stuff', and he's been on a warpath about the irresponsible vandals Project ARISE is "wasting the people's taxes on!"

Honestly, it's kind of blowing up bigger than I even imagined it...

Oh! Some of my friends at The Crash have told me that before the Seionite Fleet arrived and "cut down the population" (more like killed a lot of people, we don't need to sugarcoat their poo poo), Earth was headed towards an environmental catastrophic thanks to their tradition of burning fossil fuels. Dipper and other's of his ilk have apparently been trying to keep this information from the public.

I don't believe it. What he does openly already makes him enough of an rear end in a top hat; there's no reason to invent conspiracy theories that make him sound like some kind of insane supervillain.

Omen posted:

We paid a high cost for victory. What was it?

The whole first "field trip" was...interesting. Jove knows what's up, of course, but the rest of the team?

Well, to them I guess I seemed more like a liability than an asset. I was...restrained with my gifts, I didn't want to over-exert myself, even in the face of the Dream Dinosaur and Lord Ether and...that Yellowjacket person. I was half expecting Carlie to show up, too. But she didn't, not then.

It wasn't until after the mayor's little victory celebration that she made her appearance. She made it a point to dress like me...and with a little creative usage of her gifts...made reasonable facsimiles of the rest of the group, too.

And, well, she robbed a museum. Took a few artifacts, I'm guessing only one was really important, but...

Well, the real damage was to our reputations. The mayor's been doing damage control, along with Project ARISE itself...but the peacekeepers have been pretty...unsympathetic.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 24, 2017

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

When our team first came together...

My future self was involved, and I tried to stop them. It took the rest of the team to help me succeed. How did we stymie my future self ’s plans?

The Dream Dinosaur operates on a logic that is somewhat sideways to the way we normally think of things. Okay, this is going to get a little weird, and I'm super simplifying it, so, bear with me for a moment. There are, or, anyways, there were, two big ways of thinking about the world, the Rationalists, who thought that the world could be derived from logical principles regardless of whatever sensory data we were being given at any particular moment, and the Empiricists, who only trusted the sense data they could see, feel, taste, smell, etc, and used those observations over time to make observations about the world and what was going on in it. It goes way back to Descartes and Locke and all that isn't super important.

But neither of them have a satisfactory answer for dreams, nor a proof that we aren't dreaming right now. This is, in a broad sense, the problem of induction -- how we can know one thing caused another. If you're dreaming, logic doesn't always work: one plus one can equal three just fine. And in dreams, nothing really has to follow from one thing to another, and trying to pin down concrete observations (I was thirsty, I drank water, I am no longer thirsty, ergo, water helps cure thirst) via repeated tests doesn't really work either (I was thirsty, I drove a car to the moon, I opened a bottle of water and a butterfly came out and told me a secret about the King of the Universe, I am no longer thirsty, ergo...?).

Making matters worse, Lord Ether seems to move at such a speed that things like causality and logic don't seem to apply. So, we were all dreaming that he was there, stealing Dr. Harrison's prototype for the Windt Engine, or was it actually him, somehow escaped from the Cloud 9? Or maybe one of his loyal followers, simply in costume? Regardless, he was stronger than me. Unquestionably a better swordsman. Faster, larger, better.

But also alone. I'm not.

He got away, but the prototype stayed where it belonged. We did good!

So why am I afraid to tell everyone about the handwritten book he left on my bedside table?

quote:

Relationships Given
Jove is helping me understand this weirdo future. I follow their lead.

Okay, so, she, she might have spit in my face the first time we met, and demanded to know why she wasn't able to execute "The Cancer of Space" (it doesn't translate too well, I think) on the spot, but, I think we're getting along pretty well now! She's told me all sorts of stuff about history, her love of monuments, current television, and how much she especially loves the remembrance exercises, which are a great tool for understanding and appreciating how far we've come and how much we still have to go in the struggle to rebuild.

Jove seems like the best worst most entertaining choice for this one. And I'm sure she even knows about it, too!

quote:

I saved someone important to Hamelin; they’re now my biggest defender.

This one has to be explained out of character. Chase saved her family while she was present, out of costume, and couldn't "break cover" to do it herself. So he has no idea exactly why she's being so nice to him after she exploded the other day. Maybe she feels guilty about overreacting? On her side, she's,
in Businessmanga's words "straight up like wookie life debting it"

quote:

Influence Given

These people are your guides, your friends, and the ones helping you find a better way. But you are careful about whose guidance you follow. Give Influence over you to two teammates.

Hemlock is a good guy, much better than folks give him credit for.

Jove is easily my best friend here. She's good people, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Yeah, we joke sometimes about how she hates me, but, you know, she's got a weird sense of humor.

Received

Hamelin: I refused to tell Chase my secret identity when they asked.

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 19, 2017

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe

quote:

Relationships
You told Jove all about your doom and the danger you’re in.
After the psychoactive chamber...I let Jove know everything. Maybe I would have told her even if she hadn't seen it in there with her own eyes...she's a Seionite, the same as I am. She suffered through the death of Seio and a life of barely subsisting...like me, and she needs to know what happened and...and what will happen if Carlie isn't stopped.

quote:

You’d love to kiss Chase before your doom comes.
Of course I've heard of Ether. He was a ...a hero. Well, sort of, anyway, before...whatever happened to him to make him like he is now.

I guess that's why Chase is so...interesting. He's like...how I was before Carlie did whatever she did to put this damned sword over my head again. He's...almost an innocent. If he's careful, he might even avoid turning into a monster like Ether. He could still be free of it, unlike me.

So I guess that sort of makes him attractive. Sort of.

quote:

Influence
These people matter for what you need to do. Give Influence to two of your teammates.

The Old Man is never clear. Just cryptic messages and the Count. But he said two names. Hamelin and Hemlock. Couldn't be more different, right? Not just in personality but also in gifts. And yet, The Old Man never lies, so...they have to be important somehow. I just don't know how, yet.

quote:

When we First Came Together...
We paid a high cost for victory. What was it?
The whole first "field trip" was...interesting. Jove knows what's up, of course, but the rest of the team?

Well, to them I guess I seemed more like a liability than an asset. I was...restrained with my gifts, I didn't want to over-exert myself, even in the face of the Dream Dinosaur and Lord Ether and...that Yellowjacket person. I was half expecting Carlie to show up, too. But she didn't, not then.

It wasn't until after the mayor's little victory celebration that she made her appearance. She made it a point to dress like me...and with a little creative usage of her gifts...made reasonable facsimiles of the rest of the group, too.

And, well, she robbed a museum. Took a few artifacts, I'm guessing only one was really important, but...

Well, the real damage was to our reputations. The mayor's been doing damage control, along with Project ARISE itself...but the peacekeepers have been pretty...unsympathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

IC thread is up!

• Locked thread