Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mishaq posted:

lol if your job and life are so empty and meaningless that acting like this is the only thrill you get

not to mention, his IT PM probably makes more money than he does :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

dragon enthusiast posted:

instead of a jira we just download the PM's google sheets template and fill in progress manually

we do this but emailed excel files without a template so every individual person reports stuff differently via email. hope they remembered to cc you on the email!

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i just started my first job where it wasn't just me doing stuff on my own, and they want user stories and "boards" (there was a special name for them. canban?) and a bunch of other planning stuff. the thing is though is that we don't even have a PM, so the worker bees are supposed to be running the hive. me and the other programmer guy at this point are like beavis and butthead going "uhh this is stupid let's bail" but instead of watching tv we work on computers

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.

The biggest problem with Agile is that for some bizarre reason in most cases upper management and Agile Evangelist feel they cannot be honest about its real purpose and sell it to developers as some kind of framework for optimizing working on projects. There are literally two different sales pitches for it, one for when it is explained to management and one when it is explained to developers. When you're in the meeting with just management it's very clear the whole thing entirely about middle management being able to give metrics to upper management about what is going on.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

mishaq posted:

lol if your job and life are so empty and meaningless that acting like this is the only thrill you get

welcome to yospos

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

vaginal facsimile posted:

Your in for a surprise during your next performance review little bitch.

u chumps didn't even know what a gant chart was *self satisfied left mouse click*

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I'm going to gently caress you in the rear end

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Cat Face Joe posted:

u chumps didn't even know what a gant chart was *self satisfied left mouse click*

time = money

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

The biggest problem with Agile is that for some bizarre reason in most cases upper management and Agile Evangelist feel they cannot be honest about its real purpose and sell it to developers as some kind of framework for optimizing working on projects. There are literally two different sales pitches for it, one for when it is explained to management and one when it is explained to developers. When you're in the meeting with just management it's very clear the whole thing entirely about middle management being able to give metrics to upper management about what is going on.

What the gently caress are you talking about

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

What the gently caress are you talking about

Was the post confusing? Agile is different things to different people. To convince devs to buy into the system they talk about failing fast and showing iterative progress (which in turn helps cover their asses, which is the main reason I like the system: If for every sprint the PM/Customer/Whoever signs off on the work demoed and yet by our deadline we aren't done... well... who's fault is that?)

For management the pitch apparently is "Your middle managers can show you a lot of charts". I had never heard this but it makes perfect sense, Scrum does generate a ton of really tedious looking charts that I guess managers love because its better than the alternative (nothing, basically)

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Also since we're talking about PMs: What's YOSPOS's opinion about managers with no background developing software.

I think its a god drat mess and I've never had a manager or scrum master worth a drat who didn't at least do a little development in the past. We must be the only industry that allows this, can I roll into an architecture firm and just start bossing people around without having ever designed a building?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

nice meltdown

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ADINSX posted:

Also since we're talking about PMs: What's YOSPOS's opinion about managers with no background developing software.

I think its a god drat mess and I've never had a manager or scrum master worth a drat who didn't at least do a little development in the past. We must be the only industry that allows this, can I roll into an architecture firm and just start bossing people around without having ever designed a building?

non developers are generally incapable of understanding the issues that developers face because they don't understand how software gets written. so :sever:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

The Management posted:

non developers are generally incapable of understanding the issues that developers face because they don't understand how software gets written. so :sever:

Most places I've been to have at least a few managers/scrum masters like this; but its definitely going in my "do you have any questions for us" section of my next interviews

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

counterpoint: developers are terrible people with non-existent social/people skills and therefore also make terrible managers

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

The Management posted:

they've been trying to push me into a PM/managerial role for a couple years now because of this problem. "you're IT, you'll understand better how the other half lives."

Nah.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

ADINSX posted:

Was the post confusing? Agile is different things to different people. To convince devs to buy into the system they talk about failing fast and showing iterative progress (which in turn helps cover their asses, which is the main reason I like the system: If for every sprint the PM/Customer/Whoever signs off on the work demoed and yet by our deadline we aren't done... well... who's fault is that?)

For management the pitch apparently is "Your middle managers can show you a lot of charts". I had never heard this but it makes perfect sense, Scrum does generate a ton of really tedious looking charts that I guess managers love because its better than the alternative (nothing, basically)

Nerd

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

The Management posted:

Yeah I guess it's really hard to understand computer developing and not insanely simple.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

also no foreign keys.

one of my coworkers can't use the ServiceNow iOS app because he has an apostrophe in his name

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
service now is so loving bad

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Silver Alicorn posted:

one of my coworkers can't use the ServiceNow iOS app because he has an apostrophe in his name

lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ADINSX posted:

I can work for people who don't know my discipline but only if the relationship is one where they trust that I'm the subject matter expert

the worst boss I've ever had never worked as a designer but came out of being a project manager at an ad agency and expected a team of people with minimum 5 years in the field to automatically defer to her dumb ideas and treated us like children

she's now a senior ux vp at a large technology company

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

jira could be worse but lol forever at having to learn a query language to look up issues

lol if you don't have people making jira dashboards with everything you need

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

servicenow is loving garbage trash from a butt

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
My PM asked me how my weekend was today, I told him I spent it watching Terry Zwigoff's films and that Crumb is one of the best documentaries I've seen in a while.
He's replied, "That sounds like it was fun, I'll have to watch the film" in his middle-aged dad voice and wrote it down.
That's my PM story, thanks for reading.

mekkanare fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 11, 2017

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Username/post

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

ADINSX posted:

they don't understand how long things take or what complications can arise. tight deadlines and contradictory desires - importance put on the unimportant and tasks not coherently assigned to meet goals. if followed to a T there's no room to iterate and if scope shifts then poo poo. ignore half of it or it won't ship

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ADINSX posted:

project management is a cargo cult with lamer fetishes than actual cargo cults

it literally does not matter who your it pm is, or what their previous jobs were. they are all bloodsuckers to some degree and the best you can hope for is commensalism instead of simple parasitism

ADINSX posted:

well you see designing buildings is much less important than apprenticeships with people who boss around dudes who designed buildings, or vaguely building-like things

and gantt charts

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

project management is a cargo cult with lamer fetishes than actual cargo cults

it literally does not matter who your it pm is, or what their previous jobs were. they are all bloodsuckers to some degree and the best you can hope for is commensalism instead of simple parasitism

lol

to be fair i used to think along these lines in the past when ive had a string of terrible PMs, but a good PM org is cool & good in any organization

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Hi, I'm Tayne, your latest project manager. I can't wait to entertain you.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

RISCy Business posted:

servicenow is loving garbage trash from a butt

seems to work better than track-it, mostly

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hey what's this "version one training" meeting about? :pwn:

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
rt is the best ticketing system

https://bestpractical.com/request-tracker/

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

madeupfred posted:

Hi, I'm Tayne, your latest project manager. I can't wait to entertain you.

Finally a PM I can get into

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

they have a very impressive sales organisation

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mishaq posted:

lol

to be fair i used to think along these lines in the past when ive had a string of terrible PMs, but a good PM org is cool & good in any organization

sounds like you're cruising to get your pmp certificate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
I want a pimp certifcate

• Locked thread