Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Problem description: I recently moved back into my parents house after graduating. Previously, I've never had any problems with wired internet. Now, however, my download speed is always capped at 1 MB/s. No one else in the house, wired or wireless, has this problem.

Attempted fixes: I have checked my computer settings, I have searched google but have found no one with the same issue.

Recent changes: No changes.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64bit

System specs: BIOS: BIOS Date: 02/12/15 16:57:35 Ver: 05.01
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16324MB RAM
Page File: 5835MB used, 12920MB available

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

What kind of modem/gateway/router/switches are you using? Try plugging the problem computer directly into a gateway/modem if possible and see if the speeds go up.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
Did you have to put any special network settings in place on a campus network? Perhaps resetting your network stack to defaults is a good place to start.

Right-click Start, go to Command Prompt (Admin) or, on the latest update Windows Powershell (Admin)

Enter the following 4 commands, pressing Enter after each one. They are case-sensitive.

netsh int ip reset netshlog.txt
netsh winsock reset catalog
ipconfig /flushdns
nbtstat -R

You will be instructed to reboot. Go ahead and do so. Then test out speeds.

Alternately, there may be some freak router setting that QoS'd your bandwidth that low. Dig in and see if that's the case. Your router may need a firmware update too.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Resetting like you described didn't do anything.

ProjektorBoy posted:

Alternately, there may be some freak router setting that QoS'd your bandwidth that low. Dig in and see if that's the case. Your router may need a firmware update too.

I don't know what this means or how to dig in to a router.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm still having this problem, BTW.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
We exchanged our cable modem with our isp for a new one and that hasn't fixed the problem like they said it would. After looking all over, the very last thing I was told to try is to buy a network adapter card instead of using the integral one on my motherboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd try connecting the slow computer directly to the modem (if you haven't already) and see if that makes a difference.

• Locked thread