Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Problem description: Yesterday Windows tried to install an update, and as the prompt to restart the computer appeared on screen the computer crashed to a black screen for several minutes. After an hour I figured nothing was going to happen with the update so I power cycled the computer. It POSTs correctly, but nothing appears on screen like the motherboard manufacturer splashes and Windows doesn't appear to load. After swapping the HDMI cable from my graphics card to my motherboard, the computer will load Windows and display all the usual graphics on screen and the computer can be used as normal. I checked the graphics card in device manager and it displays Error Code 43 "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)". On powering on the PC the fans on the graphics card will spin up as normal but then cut out after about 30 seconds.

Attempted fixes: Reinstalling my graphics drivers including the latest version. Used DDU in safe mode to help this, with no effect. Tried disabling and enabling the card along with uninstalling it from device manager. I have tried physically removing the card and reseating it along with the cables attached to it. Rolling back to a previous restore point fails with an error too so that hasn't worked.

Recent changes: No changes at all. The computer has worked fine since being built in January.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64bit Ver 1703

System specs:

CPU - i5-6600k
Mobo - Asus Z170i ProGaming
Gfx - MSI GTX 1070 Armor Edition
RAM - 16GB
PSU - Antec TruePower 650W
SSD - Crucial 500GB

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

How old is the PSU?

Also, go into the BIOS and make sure no onboard video settings are enabled (sometimes some can be turned on).

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

The PSU and other components are all just 7 months old.

I've tried disabling onboard graphics in order to favour my graphics card but the settings just revert back whenever the computer restarts. I can't find any option to disable the onboard graphics completely.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Vitamins posted:

The PSU and other components are all just 7 months old.

I've tried disabling onboard graphics in order to favour my graphics card but the settings just revert back whenever the computer restarts. I can't find any option to disable the onboard graphics completely.

Does the BIOS seem to be retaining the other information (time, other settings etc.)? If not, it could be a failing CMOS battery.

Do you have any other GPUs you could test with?

• Locked thread