Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

I think a second season would suit Princess Principal well. Also Beato worked really hard and deserved a rest during the last episode, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Endorph posted:

my only real complaints are the lack of stuff for a couple of charcaters to do, the ep with dorothy's dad being kind of weirdly written, and the laundry ep being... shall we say... bad.

lol I liked the laundry ep

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Endorph posted:

my only real complaints are the lack of stuff for a couple of charcaters to do, the ep with dorothy's dad being kind of weirdly written, and the laundry ep being... shall we say... bad.

an actual dog posted:

lol I liked the laundry ep

I think it was just okay. I like that detail of Princess not actually having a substantial source of personal finances despite being a royal although it has little bearing on the rest of how the ep played out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I didn't hate it or anything but it was really, really far from the spy stuff I was watching the show for and none of the laundromat girls were really memorable or anything, which'd be fine if any of the main characters got any characterization from it but they kind of didn't. The closest is Chise, and the episode right after that was an entire Chise focus episode that basically hit the same notes and more.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lol i mixed up the laundromat ep with a completely different one because i forgot it existed

i think this show was kind of messy but i really liked the main cast and the relationship between ange and charlotte and the fact that the show gave it so much focus in its finale and handled it in such a cool way made me come out of it having a lot of fun

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, I get why people were irritated that we didn't get more of a concrete, world-based narrative, but I still think the show works rather well as a character piece whose final act is our two leads' relationship hitting a crisis that's only resolved when they reaffirm their mutual affection and respect for eachother's agency.

yeah pripri was a character driven show not a plot driven show and the characters were good (chise best pripri)

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Homura and Sickle posted:

yeah pripri was a character driven show not a plot driven show and the characters were good (chise best pripri)

whoah what the gently caress

beato believer hold my hat

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Eela6 posted:

beato believer hold my hat

As you wish, sir. Do as honor demands.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Beato Believer posted:

As you wish, sir. Do as honor demands.

um, you've chosen the wrong cute anime girl to prefer to the other one

you want the one who spins around in a circle and goes 'waa' or the hard-drinking, hard-fighting one who smokes cigarettes and has driving gloves and drives an old-timey car, not the one who is tiny and honorable and has a samurai sword

if you pay attention to figure 3(b) on the following chart....

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
Eh, I could never get the hang of the continuing thread jokes.

I'll just see myself out...

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Beato Believer posted:

Huh? I though it was funny!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
*pretends to smoke cigarettes

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Beato Believer posted:

Quick! Swap identities with that other girl!

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
As someone who came in to this show late/fresh I can see that yes, it's more character driven and they accomplished a lot of that in 12 episodes in an interesting fashion with sequences of events being out of order. I hesitate to call it a purely character driven show, there is definitely plot presented to us.

It's just that they present such an interesting backdrop and only parts of it are addressed and the show really does rely upon the audience to make their own inferences about the state of the world. Which isn't bad, using your brain is a good. I really wanted to see and understand the world they exist in more because there was so much investment in it from the cast, especially from Charlotte who wanted to change things from within.

In the end, I wasn't invested in the princesse's goal to be queen (the only extent of that struggle we are aware of is being fourth in line, and playing the role to a T, while also being used as a political chess piece) but more about her relationship with Ange since that was the main focus of the season
to begin with. Again, not a demerit, that was a good thing about the show and if they were gonna do one thing good, that was the best.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Eela6 posted:

Huh? I though it was funny!

It was. I just suck.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Compendium posted:

It's just that they present such an interesting backdrop and only parts of it are addressed and the show really does rely upon the audience to make their own inferences about the state of the world. Which isn't bad, using your brain is a good. I really wanted to see and understand the world they exist in more because there was so much investment in it from the cast, especially from Charlotte who wanted to change things from within.

That's well put! I think that's a big part of why I liked the show so much; the background is just that, background. If they explicitly spelled it out I don't think it would be half so interesting.

Beato Believer, you need to Believe in the Beato who Believes in You :kamina:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Beato Believer posted:

It was. I just suck.

Ah a lack of confidence in oneself. You truly are a Beato Believer.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Homura and Sickle posted:

(chise best pripri)

:hfive:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Liver Disaster posted:

I think a second season would suit Princess Principal well. Also Beato worked really hard and deserved a rest during the last episode, obviously.

also i did some digging and it seems like the bd sales were pretty good and the few figures they made sold well, so a second season seems pretty viable. bd sales aren't everything but they're the easiest thing to measure, and this sold about as well as attack on titan s2. which, attack on titan s2 had a massive dropoff from s1, but that's still impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
Princess Principal getting sequel, in form of six movies, to be in theaters starting next year.

Edit: which was already posted in some other thread (me is slow)

Beato Believer fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 29, 2018

• Locked thread