Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Here's the situation. My girlfriend works for a dog daycare part time. The owner of the daycare (call her jess) found a dog on the road last friday. She brought him back to the daycare where he's been since, and called animal services. They took all her info and info about the dog, but the owners hadn't called yet.

In the meantime, jess posted a picture of the dog to facebook, and someone in the neighbourhood replied to the post saying that they had had to bring this dog back to its owners upwards of four times already. Finally, yesterday, five days after the dog was found, the owners called animal services. Now that they knew who the dog was, animal services called Jess and informed her that this was the fourth time that animal services have been involved before the dog was returned.

This little dog has just captured out hearts, and we want him to be ours.

Factors to consider:

for keeping
1. Owners didn't care enough to call animal services until their dog had been gone for almost a week
2. Dog is skinny. He's been putting on weight since he's been on good food.
3. Dog is unneutered. If he's been running around the city constantly and not only can they not keep him contained they didn't even bother to chop off his balls, that's another indicator he's being mistreated.
4. We don't yet know if he's chipped. He's going to a vet today to see.

for not keeping
1. He's not our dog. We love the dogs we've had in our lives and we don't know what this family's circumstance is. It seems like he is not being cared for but we don't want to assume. My mom is the best dog owner I know and our yorkie growing up had a tendancy to get out, because my blind sister would gently caress up. This doesn't mean the dog should have been taken away from us.
2. Honestly that's about it

When Jess spoke to animal services on the phone, they actually recommended that the dog be dropped off at an out of town location, a decent drive away. they said that often if the family is neglectful they won't bother to come get it. I guess this is kind of a loophole they use/recommend in situations like ours. but this pup has already been through a lot the last few days, I don't want him to need to go through the undue stress of going in a cramped kennel for a week or whatever it would be.

Wondering if anyone has any experience or advice on this. I'm totally torn at the moment. No idea what the right thing to do is.

edit: I should add, right now we are leaning towards taking him to a place three hours away and seeing what happens. It would suck to put him through more stress unnecessarily but it would suck more to take him away from a family that loves and cares for him. but it doesn't seem like he has that!! argh. i dunno. this is hard.

if he's not chipped that might make our decision a bit easier. if this dog has been wandering the streets 10+ times at least that we know of, and they couldn't even be bothered to get him chipped, that's a real good indicator they don't give a gently caress.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
heres a picture of the dog in question, just in case cuteness factors into any of your thinking

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
delete your facebook posts and any other public references to the dog and check if it's chipped, if he's not chipped congrats on your new dog

if the owners somehow track you down, tell them you'll give the dog back after they pay for it's vet bills, after you get him neutered, shots, etc. I guarantee you they'll tell you to gently caress off and give up immediately

like i can see not neutering a dog b/c of poverty (really shouldn't own a dog if you can't afford $40 at a low-cost spay/neuter but what do I know...) but you don't have to be rich to keep a dog inside the house or on a leash when it's outside, that's just neglect.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 13, 2017

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Mirthless posted:

delete your facebook posts and any other public references to the dog and check if it's chipped, if he's not chipped congrats on your new dog

if the owners somehow track you down, tell them you'll give the dog back after they pay for it's vet bills, after you get him neutered, shots, etc. I guarantee you they'll tell you to gently caress off and give up immediately

like i can see not neutering a dog b/c of poverty (really shouldn't own a dog if you can't afford $40 at a low-cost spay/neuter but what do I know...) but you don't have to be rich to keep a dog inside the house or on a leash when it's outside, that's just neglect.

Or don't do that because you don't technically own the dog, so having it neutered knowing that its owners attempted to get it back could get you in trouble.

If you want it make the current owners an offer and buy the dog. I wonder how you would feel if a pet of yours wandered off (even if it is the 4th or 5th time) and the person who has it claimed 'finders-keepers'.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Congrats on your new doggo! What are you going to call them?

• Locked thread