Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

I am considering a trip over Labor Day weekend. My thought is to start early that Saturday morning and run the Natchez Trace from Franklin, TN to Natchez MS. Staying the night in Natchez, I want to head northwest to the Ouachitas in west/central Arkansas, spend Sunday night there, then head back to Nashville on Monday morning.

My goals are to see some cool mountain poo poo and to check off Alabama, Mississippi and Arkansas on the "states I've visited" list.

The problem is that I don't know sweet gently caress all about Arkansas, and google is being surprisingly unhelpful.

Any ideas on where would be a good spot to target in the Ouachitas? My ideal is to keep road time to 8 hours or less, so being within 8 hours of Natchez is a plus.

TIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

Hot Springs is a good choice if you're interested in the Ouachitas.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Money Bags posted:

Hot Springs is a good choice if you're interested in the Ouachitas.

Thanks!

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

No sweat I'm actually from there. Let me know if you need recommendations on what to do.

das crikstar
Dec 11, 2015

a glitzy recycle bin
If you want mountains and rivers, then that would be the Buffalo River. Walk the goat trail.

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Born and raised in Hot Springs. Traveled the world but Hot Springs is still where I call home. You should check this place out. The downtown has an amazing history and has some great art, nightlife, microbreweries, hiking trails. Part of the downtown area is actually the nations smallest national park, including Bathhouse Row and the hot springs that come down the mountain. Head south from downtown and you'll get to the Lake District. Lake Hamilton dominates the southern part of town, and above that is Lake Ouachita, the largest lake in the state and one of the cleanest in the country. Lake Hamilton has houses and restaurants/bars on it, whereas Lake Ouachita only has sporadic marinas. Ouachita is huge and extremely clear with lots of islands for camping. All of this is in the middle of the awesome Ouachita Mountains. Come have a visit. You won't regret it!

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Semi-related, a friend and I took the trace from Tupelo, MS to the Shoals last month. I recommend at least getting a meal in Florence, AL, a sneaky hip place. Had a really good lunch at a place called Odette.

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

SamEyeAm posted:

Born and raised in Hot Springs. Traveled the world but Hot Springs is still where I call home. You should check this place out. The downtown has an amazing history and has some great art, nightlife, microbreweries, hiking trails. Part of the downtown area is actually the nations smallest national park, including Bathhouse Row and the hot springs that come down the mountain. Head south from downtown and you'll get to the Lake District. Lake Hamilton dominates the southern part of town, and above that is Lake Ouachita, the largest lake in the state and one of the cleanest in the country. Lake Hamilton has houses and restaurants/bars on it, whereas Lake Ouachita only has sporadic marinas. Ouachita is huge and extremely clear with lots of islands for camping. All of this is in the middle of the awesome Ouachita Mountains. Come have a visit. You won't regret it!

This is, down to the very last detail, what I thought about posting and didn't for lack of effort. Don't listen to the others posting ITT OP! Go with your original plan and visit beautiful Hot Springs, Arkansas this Labor Day weekend, you won't regret it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

das crikstar
Dec 11, 2015

a glitzy recycle bin

The Goat trail in the Ozarks i's quite pretty.
Nothing in hot springs compares to the river, unless a $160 happy ending massage is what you're looking for. Or horse races. Don't go to HS unless it's racing season.

das crikstar fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 14, 2017

• Locked thread