Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left
So after a period of being unable to play, I finally beat it.

My order was: Hedwyn (so he cold see his bird waifu again), Jodi (because she deserved it), Rukey (so he could see his family again), Bertrude (To get rid of her, honestly), Pamitha (because she deserved better), and Fae (most appropriate name for her, btw).

I had planned to anoint Sir Gilman in the final Rite; but when it came time to actually choose, I saw my boy Ti'zo, who had been my go-to for every Rite I desperately wanted to win. Little bastard had been in every Liberation Rite thus far, and had been instrumental in winning all of them, so I knew he had to be my anointed in the final Rite. After a pitched battle, I won by the skin of my teeth, and freed Oralech. It just seemed like the right thing to do.

I'm now working on a second playthrough in which I will throw every Liberation Rite and see what happens.

I will end by saying that if you didn't talk to Sandra at every opportunity and agree to take her with you, you are a monster and I will have nothing further to do with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Arthur Crackpot posted:

I will end by saying that if you didn't talk to Sandra at every opportunity and agree to take her with you, you are a monster and I will have nothing further to do with you.

Agreed.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Sandra is bae, even moreso than Bae is bae

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So, anyone else on Steam get a 1 gig patch? I have no idea what it entails.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Online multiplayer or DLC incoming????

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

precision posted:

Online multiplayer or DLC incoming????

New Game +

EDIT:

Supergiant posted:

About the 'True Nightwing' Update

The centerpiece of our latest update is a new Campaign mode that's unlocked after you reach the end of the Campaign (if you've already finished the Campaign, it should be unlocked automatically).

Reminiscent of an 'Ironman' mode in other games, this new way to play really amps up the challenge, and emphasizes many of the unique aspects of Pyre's campaign -- notably in how the story has no 'Game-Over' state, and keeps moving forward, taking your choices and outcomes into account.

It's designed to enhance playing through the Campaign successive times, whether you want to visit your favorite characters again, or experience all the many millions of event combinations in a whole new way.

Some of the specific changes in this mode:

· Base difficulty same as Heightened.
· All Titan Stars unlocked, and some must be used.
· Enlightenment required to rank up re-scaled.
· Cannot load checkpoints or restart Rites.
· Book of Rites and White Lute fully unlocked.
· Slugmarket inventory fully unlocked.
· Feats of Glory introduced much sooner.
· Note: Once chosen, this setting cannot be changed.

Also, bonus soundtracks for soundtrack-havers (meaning free!):

· Pyre: Original Soundtrack - The White Lute features acoustic versions of many of the signature tracks from the game (they're the versions you hear using the White Lute item in the wagon).

· Pyre: Original Soundtrack - The Black Mandolin features eight unique variations of the song 'Never to Return', for each of the different triumvirates you confront in the Rites!

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 28, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh wow nice. Gonna start that up later then.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Sick. That update's dope

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh, sweet. I was really hoping for a New Game + option. Gonna fire that up this weekend!

Fakebacon
Nov 7, 2009
The Supergiant Youtube channel also just uploaded a bunch of acoustic and instrumental versions of the songs, along with versions of "Never to Return" for each opponent.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
sweet moses that's an awesome update!!

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Perfect reason to do another run, even comes with all the things I'd self-impose on a New Game Plus.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
No PS4 release date yet though =\

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Finally beat the game and left the bat, the snake and the tree behind since i figured theyd be the happiest in hell. Tree would have been useful out of the place but i was carrying Sandra and i definetly needed to carry her out of hell because in a couple of hundred years theres probably not going to be anyone living in the place besides imps and the merchants there.
As a horrid min maxer i liked that it made you make choices and didnt allow you to just make so everyone ended up happy. Theres no point in choices if theres no consequences to it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Game of the Year 2017. I'd be surprised if it leaves as much of a lasting impact on me as Bastion and Transistor, but it's still a gorgeous experience.

I liberated Jodi first, because she'd been there the longest. The only loss in the whole campaign was the match after that, because I was leaning on her that much. Then Hedwyn--I wanted to liberate Pamitha before him so she could track down his girlfriend for when he got there, but she wasn't high enough at the time. I liberated her next, although I was half expecting her to turn out to be a traitor somehow. Then Bertrude, although I think I thought she wanted to return a lot more than she actually did. That made things a lot more difficult because I had started leaning pretty heavily on her ridiculous Talisman ability. After that, Volfred, and then for the final one I anointed Ti'zo but ended up going myself.

Xae would have been my first choice to send back, but she seemed so much happier in the Downside. The reason for her exile was the saddest to me, I think, just because of the implications.

Pretty excited to start a True Nightwing run, mostly just to see what the game looks like when I lose constantly.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

True Nightwing does not mess around. You can technically still cheese a failure but being forced to use Titan Stars and level up slower means you're going to have to take as much advantage of free Enlightenment and tutoring individual members as you can. Forget buying up every trinket: get the ones that are important, level them up, and use nothing else.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
As much as I loved Bastion and Transistor, I felt like this was a solid improvement in every way (while being totally different from both).

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Just finished the first playthrough, that was really good! I would never have guessed sports game visual novel would be something I liked, but Supergiant Games sure pulled it off. This is talking about Pyre but also has some vague spoilers for the ends of Bastion and Transistor I'm a little relieved there was a relatively good ending, and that I got it on my first playthrough unlike their first two games which were so much more bittersweet. Bastion made me cry and Transistor left me an absolute wreck (being pregnant didn't help) but this was quite a bit more hopeful. I freed Jodariel first, then Rukey, then I was going to keep Hedwyn around but he got Banishment sickness and I felt terrible for him and his thoughts talked about how bad he wanted to go home so I freed him, then Pamitha,then my daughter hit the spacebar and selected Fae, then Bertrude, then Oralech over Tizo for the last freed exile. I barely beat Oralech, I think I had 5 points remaining and that was after Volfred's mastery giving me an extra 50, my heart was actually pounding by the end of it.

And if anyone didn't see it, drinking a poo poo load of Pam's booze triggered a funny little conversation.

Tizo definitely had the hardest trial for me, gently caress that sucked. Patience luring the three beyonders into an implosion and Moon Crest sure helped.

Also excited for the True Nightwing run, and some lower stakes versus mode stuff.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The absolute best exchange in the game that I discovered was anointing Ti'Zo for a Liberation Rite against the Accusers. If you get the opportunity to do it, absolutely do, there's an exchange that I refuse to spoil, but it's the game's funniest moment by far.

I loved this game, finally beat it, bought it on New Year's. Liberated Jodi first, wish I hadn't 'cause i never actually got her backstory from her, but she seemed like the most expendible. In retrospect, I'd keep her until the second one and liberate Hedwyn instead. Rukey was second, then Pamitha, Hedwyn, Ti'Zo and I liberated Volfred last. He gave me the choice and I sent him home to ensure the plan's success, though of course I never lost a match, thanks to resetting. I really do want to give True Nightwings a shot, I feel like the game is intended to not allow you to game the matches, and it's odd to me that it was a post release patch that brought it.

I had a bloodless revolution, though I was disappointed that there didn't seem to be any real epilogue for me. Then again, I basically played my Reader as a shut-in scholar who had no real connection to the Commonwealth ( because as a player, I don't.). When I was first playing the game, I was expecting to say that Supergiant had finally stopped making games about the apocalypse, but lol that didn't work out.

The lore in this game is crazy. So why did the Rope-Caller chase the Emperor into exile? Wasn't his goal to rule the empire? Why go to Downside, especially when your loving Demon's Souls cloak is gonna go rogue on you when you do...

This game seems like the culmination of all things Supergiant and it's a true work of art. I don't know what they'll do next, but as a studio they've continued to redefine what they are capable of.

The Voice was one of my favorite characters, he's such a loving doofus. I like how he gets all insulted when he realizes that you're not actually on his side. "and here I thought we were friends.. It's interesting that they gave him a backstory, I really, really liked how they handled a lot of the background plots in this game. The writing is top notch.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 6, 2018

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Though, maybe I missed it, do they ever explain WHY the stars start going out?.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Though, maybe I missed it, do they ever explain WHY the stars start going out?.
I thought it was understood that the reason why was because the Eight Scribes were upset that the Nightwings, the Triumverate made specifically to test out who is worthy enough to leave the Downside and ordained by the Scribes themselves, was fighting itself because of Oralech and the formation the True Nightwings to get his owed liberation. This infighting, alongside the discontent in the Commonwealth and attempt to reshape the laws there, led to a sort of "divine intervention" due to the true will of the Scribes being perverted. So, the Scribes figured it was time to move past this tradition of the rites, perhaps to stop people from being cast down constantly.

Sucks for everyone left on the Downside though!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Maybe a little late to the party, but I finished the game! For the curious, I liberated Hedwyn, Jodariel, Rukey, Pamitha, Fae, Ti'zo and myself. Oralech won the final rite (my intention - though it's actually really hard to throw a game while still trying to play somewhat actively) and then when he said my player character should go it didn't feel right to refuse.

I kind of like that my character went through something of an arc of her own, without any real intention that way in the story. She was a crippled scholar, and a cynic who didn't believe freedom could be found anywhere. But as she travelled she gained faith in the Nightwings, and sparked hope for their ambitions. She never sought any reward for herself, but when it was offered to her, she finally realised there was a future for her too.

I took a look at the versus mode, and I'm a bit disappointed about the choices of characters? The visual design of the team uniforms felt like it was designed so that you could have generic characters for every class and team, with nine sprite sets in various recolours. But since versus mode only lets you pick plot characters, you can't form all the possible team compositions, and it looks like they don't even wear the uniforms of the team you're supposed to be playing as?
It's a minor thing, and pretty meaningless in gameplay, but still.

If I wanted one more thing from this game it'd be a mode where you actually played the league, earning enough league ranking scribes' favour to compete in the liberation rites, without the Nightwings' special status or the limits imposed by the story. And you could build whatever team you like out of the generic characters, and just play pyreball endlessly. Ah, well.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Finished this game yesterday, what a uniquely affecting experience.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i would donate like $30 to a kickstarter that just adds online multiplayer to this game

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

precision posted:

i would donate like $30 to a kickstarter that just adds online multiplayer to this game

That would be so awesome, but I think Supergiant's official position is that they are not a big enough developer to have the skills and resources needed to do that.

I wonder if you could set up some sort of long-distance screen-sharing thing to use the local multiplayer over the web. Probably hard as balls though.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Tenebrais posted:

That would be so awesome, but I think Supergiant's official position is that they are not a big enough developer to have the skills and resources needed to do that.

I wonder if you could set up some sort of long-distance screen-sharing thing to use the local multiplayer over the web. Probably hard as balls though.

I can't imagine you could set that up in any way where it wouldn't have unplayable levels of lag.

But yeah, adding online multiplayer is something of a project in and of itself, and then with it you have expectations of balance patches and community engagement, detecting and banning hackers/griefers, and toxic shitheads forming competitive leagues. I can completely understand why Supergiant didn't want to deal with that but it's still kinda disappointing that it's not in there.

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 15, 2018

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The absolute best exchange in the game that I discovered was anointing Ti'Zo for a Liberation Rite against the Accusers. If you get the opportunity to do it, absolutely do, there's an exchange that I refuse to spoil, but it's the game's funniest moment by far.

Seriously, do it. It's amazing.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Olive Branch posted:

So, the Scribes figured it was time to move past this tradition of the rites, perhaps to stop people from being cast down constantly.

I think it's more like "Well, this cycle has gone on long enough. The Commonwealth is a mess, and will stay around just long enough to collapse again due to all the corruption, conflict, misery, etc. Barely any of the exiles conducting the Rites has a mote of respect for them, and there's even a rogue Nightwing triumvirate mucking about, messing things up. Yep, time to reset this poo poo. Lights out, Downside furnace off. Maybe next time they'll get it right."

It was a given that the Commonwealth would be in bad shape, but when the system you put in place to fix the problem becomes completely unreliable, it's time to start over.

drat, I love this game. Who would've guessed that a magical 3-on-3 basketball tournament played by criminals competing for the chance to jump into an upside-down waterfall and shoot through the hole in the center of the moon would be a slam dunk?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Tenebrais posted:

This is actually really easy! Just download Parsec: https://parsecgaming.com/ . It screenshares from one computer to the other, and makes controllers/input devices from both work on whichever is streaming the game. I've tried it for a bunch of local multiplayer games and its been great (although if your internet is relatively slow you might run into trouble).

I'd definitely give it a try, it's the first one of the 'play local multiplayer online' solutions that's ever really worked well for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Picked this game back up after just getting past the first liberation last time, so I could stay ahead of the LP.

The writing in this game is real good.

Liberated Hedwyn the first rite because I forgot you only get to pick your three top earners and Jodariel and Bae ain't goin' nowhere yet. Was all set to send Rukey up next to take care of his ma and because I don't particularly need him, but I was up against the Essence and Pamitha was so freakin' bummed that we were kicking their butt that I threw the match after earning my 35 ducats and let Tamitha go. Guess I'm sending Pam up when I get her leveled even though she's a superb point-scorer, Bae can handle this poo poo down here.

• Locked thread