Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Bill Burr's podcast on Monday and Thursday and Your Mom's House with Tom Segura and Christina Pazsitzky are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Where's a good place to start with Chapo Trap House if I loved them dunking on Ben Shapiro's book?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

Where's a good place to start with Chapo Trap House if I loved them dunking on Ben Shapiro's book?

This, but for them dunking on 100% clean millennial comedian Dan Nainan.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.

EmmyOk posted:

Probably episode 58, which is their first post-election podcast. There are no real low quality periods, but given its role as a current events podcast, a lot of the earlier episodes are already dated.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
some I like that haven't been mentioned

Lore
It's real good. Great ambient music and storytelling about folk lore.

My Favorite Murder
Two comedians discuss their favorite murders. I can see why some people don't like it, especially in the early episodes where they basically recant things off the top of their heads, facts be damned, but they've improved, and introduced me to most of the othe podcasts I'm listing

Thinking sideways
Three friends discuss unsolved mysteries, go over theories.

In the Dark
Excellent podcast. Only one season thus far examining the disappearance of a boy in minnesota in the 80s, and follows the investigation and where it went wrong. There have been a lot of cold case true crime podcasts in the wake of serial, some better than others, but this is easily my favorite.

And In case you haven't you really need to get on S-Town. It really was that good.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

mysterious frankie posted:

That said, if you like them at their goofiest, start listening to Round Table of Gentlemen. It's 2/3rds of the Last Podcast crew and a bunch of their friends bullshitting with a loose news-based structure. Also it has Henry's hornier, equally cool sister, Jackie Zebrowski.

this doesnt get enough love. roundtable is awesome. just 3-8 terrible new yorkers being the loving worst people imaginable for an hour.

ben swallows a bug is the best episode.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

If it hasn't been mentioned, be sure to check out our subforum Rapidly Going Deaf. It is all about podcasts and whether you are looking for comedy, gaming, education, or really anything, it is an excellent spot to find new shows (for some reason the We Hate Movies megathread is under the Cinema Discussio subform). Audiobooks are under Book Barn.

For recommendations:

-Comedy: The Andy Daly Pilot Project. Andy Daly is one of the world's finest improvisers, and found himself with a short time window when he could dedicate a lot of time to making fake podcast pilots. This was the result, and it stands as one of the most ridiculously genius free things available. Especially the Dalton Wilcox, Poet Laureaute of the West episode.

-History: Revolutions. Historian Mike Duncan goes in-depth on major world revolutions. French Revolution is the best so far.

-Gaming: Watch Out for Fireballs. Kole and Gary discuss (mostly) older games in depth. They have excellent chemistry and knowledge. The Fallout episodes are excellent, as is Master of Orion 2.

-Pop Culture: You Must Remember This. American history show about Hollywood. Her series on Charles Manson deserves an Emmy.

-Silly History: The Dollop. Two comedians discuss American history, and riff on the subjects. Start with 10 Cent Beer night.

-Family Friendly: Judge John Hodgman.Comedian John Hodgman takes cases from listeners and settles tiny disputes. Clean relaxing listening, fine with kids in car.

-TV History: Talking Simpsons. Bob, Henry, and Chris are going through every episode of the show in order. They are up to the golden age of season six, and just covered Itchy and Scratchy Land.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I usually enjoy Laser Time. They had an episode a while ago where they interviewed Tad Stones, an animator and animation director, about his involvement in the Disney Afternoon era of Disney cartoons (original DuckTales, TaleSpin, Darkwing Duck etc.) which was good fun.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I listen to a lot of Duckfeed.tv stuff. It's a predominantly video-games network with lots of analysis and humour, and a strong rapport between the presenters.

Mainly Watch Out For Fireballs, a longform book-club style analysis of a game
Abject Suffering, a comedic bad video games podcast that tends to go off the rails
Teenage Dirtbags, 2 guys talk about 90s music videos, sometimes. Has a lot of sub-segments that mostly get invented on the fly based on dumb jokes
Monster In My Podcast 2 guys read through an old D&D monster manual, critter by critter.

I've contributed a few documents that got read by these guys, it's a fun experience if you need a little project and enjoy ironically reading forums about female body builders.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The Morning Stream is a daily nerdy morning show on the Frogpants network. It's a familiar mix of geeky topics but the hosts do a good job of keeping it fresh and it's well produced so it goes down easy.

There's other worthwhile Frogpants shows but that's a good starting point because most of the other show's hosts appear as guests in regular segments.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Thanks for all the recommendations, guys. All my favorite podcasts have already been mentioned, but that's not to surprising considering I only started pretty recently after I acquired a lengthy commute.

I got a different question for you guys, tho. What program do you prefer for listening on an android device. So far I've been listing individually on a regular music playing app but it's getting difficult keeping things neat and tidy as I add more and more groups to listen to.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Hyrax Attack! posted:

-Comedy: The Andy Daly Pilot Project. Andy Daly is one of the world's finest improvisers, and found himself with a short time window when he could dedicate a lot of time to making fake podcast pilots. This was the result, and it stands as one of the most ridiculously genius free things available. Especially the Dalton Wilcox, Poet Laureaute of the West episode.

The Travel Bug with August Lindt was so loving funny I almost crashed my car on at least 2 separate occasions while listening to it on a long drive. To this day I think that episode of the ADPPP is one of the funniest things in all of media for all time.

Inspector 34 has a new favorite as of 06:48 on Aug 24, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone ever done a decent podcast about pulp fiction? (The genre / medium, not the movie!)

I found one on iTunes a while ago but it was just a really nervous-sounding guy reading from the Wikipedia page.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Hyrax Attack! posted:

-Comedy: The Andy Daly Pilot Project. the most ridiculously genius free things available.

sounds neat but it isn't free anymore, it's on stitcher premium. sucks

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

quote:

Two brothers, Eddie and Emile, sit in the small room they share, each on his own bed. Emile wants to watch a soap on TV. Eddie, a devout Seventh-Day Adventist, asks him to use headphones so he won’t have to hear the TV on the Sabbath. Fine—in theory. But the headphones are too short to use while on the bed, so Emile takes them off. Eddie, who remembers soap operas playing in his violent childhood home, turns off the TV. Emile turns it back on. The tension continues for days, escalating beyond electronics: Eddie stops showering in protest. Emile starts smoking on his bed. “You’re gonna kill me with cancer!” Eddie shouts at his brother. “Fratricide! Fratricide!” their next-door neighbor yells.

Emile and Eddie aren’t just brothers sharing a room; they’re also inmates sharing a cell. The scene is recounted—by the brothers themselves—in the first episode of the podcast network Radiotopia’s show Ear Hustle, which launched in June and will run through October. The brilliant series is a collaboration between the inmates Earlonne Woods and Antwan Williams and the prison volunteer Nigel Poor, and it is conceived, recorded, and produced from inside of San Quentin State Prison.

One of my favorites right now is Ear Hustle.

Here's one of many glowing (and deservedly so) reviews.
https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2017/08/making-a-podcast-from-prison/537774/?utm_source=atlfb

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

grittyreboot posted:

http://www.maximumfun.org/shows/my-brother-my-brother-and-me.

My Brother My Brother And Me, or MBMBAM (pronounced muhbimbam) is an advice show for the modren era. The premier podcast for wet stunts and primo goofs, Jeffrey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU4pPvHLIwc

Related, I've been binge listening to The Adventure Zone in which the brothers and their dad play out a DnD campaign. I didn't know much about DnD but that's Ok because neither do half of the people playing! It's a lot of fun.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I've been listening to a podcast called BLIND TAG where a guy that like Wrestling takes the best stuff off the week and shows it to a guy that doesn't like Wrestling, and then they discuss why it sucks.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/blind-tag/id1229548575?mt=2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Along the same lines as Astonishing Legends, I've become a big fan of Where Did The Road Go.

Many of the episodes form a roundtable format, with the host and a group of regular guests picking various topics in the paranormal and discussing them. They tend to go in some really interesting directions and I really enjoy just chilling and listening to the various tangents.

There's also interviews that are a little more focused to discussing the guest's work, which are also fun.

• Locked thread